As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Mac Thread - G3 phone thing is out. Have you heard of it?

• Options
    Epyon9283Epyon9283 Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    It does have tap to click (at least in OS X). The option is in the mouse and keyboard preferences. It isn't turned on by default.

Epyon9283 on
  • Options
    EchoEcho ski-bap ba-dapModerator mod
    edited May 2008
    I have it set to tap-click and two-finger tap for right click. Who needs buttons anyway?

Echo on
  • Options
    edited May 2008
    Echo wrote: »
    I have it set to tap-click and two-finger tap for right click. Who needs buttons anyway?

If you run Windows on the Mac via Boot Camp you need the button. No tap to click makes the baby jesus cry.

Epyon9283 on
  • Options
    SenshiSenshi BALLING OUT OF CONTROL WavefrontRegistered User regular
    edited May 2008
    People make USB mice for a reason.

But yeah, tap-click's been there forever, my 7 year-old iBook has it--but I hate it and don't use it.

Senshi on
  • Options
    edited May 2008
    I was dumb enough to buy a wireless mighty mouse for my macbook pro. The touchpad is for more enjoyable to use. I only get a right click about 10% of the time on the mouse when I want one.

Epyon9283 on
  • Options
    edited May 2008
    logitech20mx31020cab7.jpg

I only trust Logitech when it comes to mice. <3 so much

Senshi on
  • Options
    DeathPrawnDeathPrawn Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    Epyon9283 wrote: »
    I was dumb enough to buy a wireless mighty mouse for my macbook pro. The touchpad is for more enjoyable to use. I only get a right click about 10% of the time on the mouse when I want one.

The thing about right-clicking is that your other finger can't be touching or resting on the left-click side of the mouse. It's a bitch and an example of horrible design, but if you practice lifting your left finger up you should get more consistent results.

DeathPrawn on
    Signature not found.
  • Options
    MephistophelesMephistopheles Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    I got a logitech VX nano for mine, and it's awesome

Mephistopheles on
    "Friends are just enemies in reverse."
    - Gary Busey
    A Glass, Darkly
  • Options
    edited May 2008
    Senshi wrote: »

Which model is that? My old MX510 is giving up the ghost, and that one looks similar enough.

Echo on
  • Options
    edited May 2008
    I'm looking around for finished packages to set up PHP/Apache/MySQL to mess with some web development. Any recommendations?

Echo on
  • Options
    darkphoenix22darkphoenix22 Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    MAMP sounds exactly like what you're looking for.

darkphoenix22 on
  • Options
    ben0207ben0207 Registered User regular
    edited May 2008

Which model is that? My old MX510 is giving up the ghost, and that one looks similar enough.

On a similar note, is there a mouse out there that's BlueTooth and doesn't need a dongle? And has more than five buttons.

ben0207 on
  • Options
    edited May 2008

Indeed it does. Thanks for that.

Echo on
  • Options
    lordswinglordswing Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    I've always been a Logitech man, but I haven't seen anything comparable yet (hooking up with my MacBook without an external receiver)

I present to you the Wireless Notebook Presenter Mouse 8000. A coworker of mine showed it to me, and it looks pretty nice. With a little work, you can get the MacBook to sync with it without the included USB bluetooth receiver, which is something I've been looking for. It IS pricey, but Office Depot or Staples usually has some $15 off $75 deal you can use to get it down.

MK_po_wnpm8k_detail_1.jpg

lordswing on
    D2:LoD East -> *FlipPaulHewitt
  • Options
    contrabandcontraband Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    does anyone have experience using a MX Revolution with their Macintosh Personal Computer?

logitech-mx-revolution.jpg

just look at it!

I ask because there's some software to handle the goofy scrollwheel functions and the extra buttons, and I'm not sure how it handles on the mac side

contraband on
    sigxw0.jpg
  • Options
    Can_CalyxCan_Calyx Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    I'm studying to be an English Education major next fall.
    They're requiring me to buy a fucking Mac. For English Education.
    I'm so horribly confused.

Can_Calyx on
    Those Days Different.
  • Options
    edited May 2008
    Can_Calyx wrote: »

Hahahaha what

@Echo: It's an MX310, so it's pretty dated. Don't even think they make them anymore. It's a fantastic mouse, though--I love pretty much everything about it. It's comfortable, I can hold it with just my fingertips (wrist movement, that is), it's got great tracking and it's CORDED. I hate cordless mice. The buttons are well-positioned, too. Great for mapping Crouch to in FPS games. Or for spamming voicecomm.

@contraband: If it's anything like the software for the MX310, it's better ignored and the computer'll either a) recognize it and do it itself or b) enable you to map your own things to it.

Of course, you could just install it anyway. They usually include Mac versions of their mouse software.

Senshi on
  • Options
    edited May 2008

Hahahaha what

I got a letter from Ball State University (where I am attending next year) that states I must have a Macbook if I want to study Education. I'm slightly confused as to why I need a Mac to study a field that will require me to use Windows in any job I manage to get.

So...should I buy the weakest MacBook and a good PC laptop, or pay roughly the same amount to get a Macbook Pro?

Can_Calyx on
    Those Days Different.
  • Options
    contrabandcontraband Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    thanks senshi.

another mac question: i use control+scroll to zoom in on embedded videos, rather than cross my fingers and hope the "fullscreen" option works. this is fine, but it leaves a big-old zoomed in pointer right on top of the video. is there any quick way to hide the cursor in situations like that?

contraband on
    sigxw0.jpg
  • Options
    Satan.Satan. __BANNED USERS regular
    edited May 2008

Hahahaha what

I got a letter from Ball State University (where I am attending next year) that states I must have a Macbook if I want to study Education. I'm slightly confused as to why I need a Mac to study a field that will require me to use Windows in any job I manage to get.

So...should I buy the weakest MacBook and a good PC laptop, or pay roughly the same amount to get a Macbook Pro?

Honestly, why do you need two machines when one will do? Get a MacBook Pro and dual boot it. Problem solved. Also, you might want to make a phone call to see why this is a requirement.

Satan. on
  • Options
    bashbash Registered User regular
    edited May 2008

Hahahaha what

These sorts of requirements usually stem from a department deciding to standardize on a particular platform. You should find out if your university has any sort of sweetheart deal with Apple to get better than average education discounts. IIRC some schools have better education deals than others since they either have large Mac deployments or in some cases require them. If you want to do a lot of gaming and schoolwork just get a MBP and use Boot Camp for gaming.

bash on
    comi-sig1.jpg
  • Options
    edited May 2008
    bash wrote: »

Hahahaha what

These sorts of requirements usually stem from a department deciding to standardize on a particular platform. You should find out if your university has any sort of sweetheart deal with Apple to get better than average education discounts. IIRC some schools have better education deals than others since they either have large Mac deployments or in some cases require them. If you want to do a lot of gaming and schoolwork just get a MBP and use Boot Camp for gaming.

Boot Camp was the suggestion from most of my friends.
    I think I'll go for the cheapest MBP. Are there any plans to redesign them that we're currently aware with? I'm totally new to the world of Apple.

Can_Calyx on
    Those Days Different.
  • Options
    Brodo FagginsBrodo Faggins Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    Current rumors are a complete overhaul of the laptop line to be announced at WWDC, which is June 10th I believe.

Brodo Faggins on
    9PZnq.png
  • Options
    edited May 2008
    Wasn't it Logitech that has some crappy driver thingie that installs itself as a kernel mod or something?

Echo on
  • Options
    edited May 2008
    Current rumors are a complete overhaul of the laptop line to be announced at WWDC, which is June 10th I believe.

Most excellent!

Can_Calyx on
    Those Days Different.
  • Options
    LewishamLewisham Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    Wasn't it Logitech that has some crappy driver thingie that installs itself as a kernel mod or something?

Yes.

But just don't install it, Mac OS X usually finds all the buttons without a problem. I have a Microsoft Natural Keyboard right now, with all sorts of fucked up buttons, and I was amazed that "Play/Pause" worked out of the box. I don't need the other stupid buttons anyway.

Lewisham on
  • Options
    H*RH*R Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    Well i bought a clearance My Book Studio for my new iMac on Friday. By Saturday it was a brick, wouldn't even power up. I'm a little upset with WD right now, but hey, they have a good looking product (though it is more plastic than metal).

Anyone have any experience with an eternal drive that seems to have good quality and is quiet?

H*R on
    Nintendo Network: WarrenMSP
    3DS: 4184-2362-9697
    PSN: Skywarrd
  • Options
    edited May 2008
    So, this Time Machine thingie. Can I hook up any external drive and save to it?

Echo on
  • Options
    H*RH*R Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    As long as it's connected via Firewire or USB and formated as Mac OS Extended (Journaled), yes.

H*R on
    Nintendo Network: WarrenMSP
    3DS: 4184-2362-9697
    PSN: Skywarrd
  • Options
    edited May 2008
    contraband wrote: »
    thanks senshi.

another mac question: i use control+scroll to zoom in on embedded videos, rather than cross my fingers and hope the "fullscreen" option works. this is fine, but it leaves a big-old zoomed in pointer right on top of the video. is there any quick way to hide the cursor in situations like that?

This is really unrefined and like, grotty, but if it's in a window in which you can scroll, just scroll in any direction using the arrow keys (and then back). One press will be enough, and it'll hide the cursor, no worries. You can then press once more in the opposite direction to re-center on the video, but don't move the mouse until you're done, 'cause it'll reappear.

Senshi on
  • Options
    TreelootTreeloot Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    What's the best video conversion tool for Macs? I need to change some video formats so they'll play on my DVD player.

Treeloot on
  • Options
    edited May 2008

Indeed it does. Thanks for that.

Man, this is why we have an OP! You could have saved yourself minutes.

Lewisham on
  • Options
    Shazkar ShadowstormShazkar Shadowstorm Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    I guess this is probably not supposed to be told, but my friend who works at the 5th ave store has a pretty good hunch they're getting new iPhones soon... various reasons, including his boss telling them not to plan a vacation any time soon.

Shazkar Shadowstorm on
    poo
  • Options
    edited May 2008
    I guess this is probably not supposed to be told, but my friend who works at the 5th ave store has a pretty good hunch they're getting new iPhones soon... various reasons, including his boss telling them not to plan a vacation any time soon.

It's almost as if there's some event, planned months in advance, that is going to be happening soon. Some sort of conference, maybe the kind that gets all sorts of publicity from various announcements. If only there was such a thing. Happening. June 6th. If only.

bash on
    comi-sig1.jpg
  • Options
    edited May 2008

And they fact that you can't buy them anywhere.

Question is whether the 3G iPhone is going to get launched before WWDC to make room for a more developer-orientated keynote. With the current shortages being so far in advance of WWDC, I'd say yes.

I wouldn't be surprised if journos got an invite to a separate event in two weeks.

Lewisham on
  • Options
    Shazkar ShadowstormShazkar Shadowstorm Registered User regular
    edited May 2008

It's almost as if there's some event, planned months in advance, that is going to be happening soon. Some sort of conference, maybe the kind that gets all sorts of publicity from various announcements. If only there was such a thing. Happening. June 6th. If only.
    Well yeah, I know, I was just putting out some evidence to reinforce predictions and rumors.

Shazkar Shadowstorm on
    poo
  • Options
    The Reverend Dr GalactusThe Reverend Dr Galactus Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    The one reason I can see at this point to suppose that the 3G iPhone would still be held off until WWDC is that firmware 2.0 is still scheduled for June, which would make for the rather strange situation of introducing a new iPhone with the old firmware, then introducing the new firmware a few weeks later.

I was planning on scooping up a discounted old one once the new one comes out. Which might be a problem since they actually let the retail channels run dry... Hmm.

The Reverend Dr Galactus on
    valar-moreshellus.png
    PSN:RevDrGalactus/NN:RevDrGalactus/Steam
  • Options
    Brodo FagginsBrodo Faggins Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    Lewisham wrote: »

Yes.

But just don't install it, Mac OS X usually finds all the buttons without a problem. I have a Microsoft Natural Keyboard right now, with all sorts of fucked up buttons, and I was amazed that "Play/Pause" worked out of the box. I don't need the other stupid buttons anyway.

For whatever doesn't work, use USB Overdrive. It can map any USB interface device exactly the way you'd like.

Brodo Faggins on
    9PZnq.png
  • Options
    edited May 2008

Well yeah, I know, I was just putting out some evidence to reinforce predictions and rumors.

"Evidence" from retail employees means exactly dick sauce. Retail employees aren't told anything because then they'll tell their friends and their friends will post on message boa...OH SHIT THAT IS WHAT HAPPENED.

bash on
    comi-sig1.jpg
  • Options
    GihgehlsGihgehls Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    Gihgehls wrote: »
    Guys, my Mac Pro is better than your computer.

I'm still going to point and call you names unless you're editing HD with Final Cut or something like that.

She is my bitch for doing lots of video encoding (multiple formats simultaneously) and also for running Parallels so I can administer my windows domain.

Gihgehls on
    PA-gihgehls-sig.jpg
This discussion has been closed.