As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Comics made by people named Allan (Shirt on page 15)

• AllanAllan Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    Fatgoat87 wrote: »
    Great work, Cant wait to finsh reading the whole bunch of it :)

Thanks man! Glad you're enjoying it!

Allan on
    banndd1av6.gifbannerdd2or5.gif
  • Chop LogicChop Logic Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    I just read through the entire archives, all 261. This is a really really great strip. Keep it up.

Chop Logic on
    edited May 2008
    Chop Logic wrote: »
    I just read through the entire archives, all 261. This is a really really great strip. Keep it up.

There's actually 291. Was that a typo?

Either way I'm not pulling hairs, man. Thanks for reading!

Allan on
    edited May 2008
    Wanted to let you guys know the site is down for an hour or two. Our DreamHost site had a bug it it or something. Anyway, it should be back up in no time. Sorry for the inconvenience.

Allan on
  • bombardierbombardier Moderator mod
    edited May 2008
    You should probably send Beavotron flowers or chocolate or something. I'm sure she's devastated.

bombardier on
  • KochikensKochikens Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    I read all of these in one night. And I gotta say, you have some serious balls for keeping it up after everyone found out. I'd have tore it all down soooo fast.

Love it though. It got some genuine LOL's, and a whole lot of smiles.

Kochikens on
  • sharky tsharky t LondonRegistered User regular
    edited May 2008
    i love these comics they're really funny! you have yourself a new reader

sharky t on
  • Grim OutlookGrim Outlook Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    very nice comic! i like the layout of the site too. bookmarked.

Grim Outlook on
    edited May 2008
    bombardier wrote: »
    You should probably send Beavotron flowers or chocolate or something. I'm sure she's devastated.

Done and done.
    Kochikens wrote: »
    I read all of these in one night. And I gotta say, you have some serious balls for keeping it up after everyone found out. I'd have tore it all down soooo fast.

Love it though. It got some genuine LOL's, and a whole lot of smiles.

Thanks man! Glad you're enjoying it!
    sharky t wrote: »
    i love these comics they're really funny! you have yourself a new reader

Awesome! Glad to have you reading
    very nice comic! i like the layout of the site too. bookmarked.

Thanks a bunch for bookmarking!

And guys, you probably gathered from the replies, but the site is back up and working. DreamHost went down for a little bit... had a bug or something. All is fixed now, and should be working forever!

Allan on
  • beavotronbeavotron Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    what am i devastated about?

beavotron on
  • KalTorakKalTorak One way or another, they all end up in the Undercity.Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    The site being down, i think.

Someone mentioned the site layout - the vertical comic layout is great too. It's really perfect for the internet where you have to scroll down; makes surprise reveals much more effective.

KalTorak on
    edited May 2008
    KalTorak wrote: »
    Someone mentioned the site layout - the vertical comic layout is great too. It's really perfect for the internet where you have to scroll down; makes surprise reveals much more effective.

Thank you! That was one of the first things I realized when I started making the strip, was that I could hide the punchline or the surprise for the very end and it'd actually stay hidden.

Allan on
  • DarkPrimusDarkPrimus Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    Something I noticed about the first and third strip posted: They work better if you cut out the whole last balloon of words.

You want to avoid the "Tim Buckley syndrome" where you over-explain the joke, or you keep it going for too long.

DarkPrimus on
  • CoreoCoreo Sydney AustraliaRegistered User regular
    edited May 2008
    I've bookmarked this....it really is funny and interesting! I'm sorry that I can't supply much more feedback than that since it's late for me but still.

Coreo on
  • no_toastno_toast Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    Your comic is rad Allan, I'll link it to my comic blog!

no_toast on
  • LlyLly Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    I didn't bother looking at the site because the comics in the first post didn't grab me. But after all these responses i had to check it out, and i have totally fallen in love with it! It's just so simply written, but in a hugely appealing way. Adorable. I would buy a book filled with these strips in a heartbeat.

Lly on
    edited May 2008
    DarkPrimus wrote: »
    Something I noticed about the first and third strip posted: They work better if you cut out the whole last balloon of words.

You want to avoid the "Tim Buckley syndrome" where you over-explain the joke, or you keep it going for too long.

Noted, man. Thanks!
    Coreo wrote: »
    I've bookmarked this....it really is funny and interesting! I'm sorry that I can't supply much more feedback than that since it's late for me but still.

Thank you! That feedback is definitely enough.
    no_toast wrote: »
    Your comic is rad Allan, I'll link it to my comic blog!

Awesome! Be sure to post a link to it when you have, and I'll make a mention of it on the site!
    Lly wrote: »
    I didn't bother looking at the site because the comics in the first post didn't grab me. But after all these responses i had to check it out, and i have totally fallen in love with it! It's just so simply written, but in a hugely appealing way. Adorable. I would buy a book filled with these strips in a heartbeat.

I'm really glad you gave it a second chance when you saw all the positive feedback. I am kind of worried that a lot of people might feel the same way and will not want to look at it because of certain examples of certain strips.

I'm currently trying to remedy this!

Speaking of which I could use some feedback. I want to try out something a little different for 10 pages or so and see if it is well-received. If it is, and it is easy enough to do, I will continue to do it. If it's not, I'll stop.

I'd like your guys' opinions on the matter.

Here's a preview of the 300th strip with the new style. Tell me what you think of it!

previewwkh5.gif

Allan on
  • MustangMustang Arbiter of Unpopular Opinions Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    Hmmmm......it's definately better, but is it enough of a change to circumvent the "bad first impression" syndrome you seem to be suffering? Maybe....you definately need something to hook people in for at least 3-5 strips, after that I'd imagine a lot will stay. So it's worth giving it a go.

Mustang on
  • LlyLly Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    For me the turnoff was the strips you posted had no continuity, whereas the charm of the comic in my mind is that it tells an ongoing story. I like the new style though, although i think over time i'd miss the messy honesty of your current style. Give it a go though :)

Lly on
    edited May 2008
    Mustang wrote: »
    Hmmmm......it's definately better, but is it enough of a change to circumvent the "bad first impression" syndrome you seem to be suffering? Maybe....you definately need something to hook people in for at least 3-5 strips, after that I'd imagine a lot will stay. So it's worth giving it a go.

Alright, man. Thanks for the input.
    Lly wrote: »
    For me the turnoff was the strips you posted had no continuity, whereas the charm of the comic in my mind is that it tells an ongoing story. I like the new style though, although i think over time i'd miss the messy honesty of your current style. Give it a go though :)

I will try it out, and see if it works well. Maybe I'll just do it on weekends or something? We'll see.

ALSO: Guys! 300th page!

20080509.gif

(More here.)

Allan on
  • McGibsMcGibs TorontoRegistered User regular
    edited May 2008
    <3

srsly.

McGibs on
    website_header.jpg
  • MykonosMykonos Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    just the thing i need after a grueling final

Mykonos on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    "I was born; six gun in my hand; behind the gun; I make my final stand"~Bad Company
  • Big Luke NastyBig Luke Nasty Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    I love your hooves. They make me smile.

Big Luke Nasty on
    rawr
  • Grim OutlookGrim Outlook Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    congrats on the 300 pages

oh man, people are commenting on your site and pretending to be people from your real life?

do the people you include in the comic ever really comment?

it seems kind of annoying that they'd actually pretend to be jen or something.

Grim Outlook on
    edited May 2008
    McGibs wrote: »
    <3

srsly.

:D
    Mykonos wrote: »
    just the thing i need after a grueling final

Oh man. Thank you. I know how you feel. I've got 3 huge projects due on Monday, and what am I doing? Watching reruns of The Office and Scrubs.
    I love your hooves. They make me smile.

Imagine HAVING them! I have no idea how I hold my tablet pen.
    congrats on the 300 pages

oh man, people are commenting on your site and pretending to be people from your real life?

do the people you include in the comic ever really comment?

it seems kind of annoying that they'd actually pretend to be jen or something.

It's not really annoying. I'm really proud of the people who comment against the people who are pretending to be people they're not. It's like they're the moderators of my site and keep everyone in order.

And Ricky has posted on my site a couple times (under the username RLS) with some minor "flaming," but the only person who really reads it regularly is Jen (I think) and I believe she's too... outside to post.

Allan on
  • MangoesMangoes Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    This is the first time I've checked the forums in a while, and I'm glad I did. I read "Comics made by people named Allan", and I was compelled to visit this thread, because my middle name is Allen. Yes, I am that full of myself.

Okay, not really. At least I hope not.

Anywho, I love the comic, much like everyone else.

Mangoes on
  • GodfatherGodfather Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    Whew! Took some time, but I finally finished reading all of the comics!

Allan you suave motherfucker, I have to take you out for drinks or something. Clocking Ricky just bought you a round at the bar of your choosing me boy!

Godfather on
  • vegeta_666vegeta_666 CanadaRegistered User regular
    edited May 2008
    Just read all your comics and they are awesome. Being a teenager same age as you, alot of the things you're saying are my own thoughts as well. So much <3 for this comic.

vegeta_666 on
    Sob24Nm.png
    Steam: abunchofdaftpunk | PSN: noautomobilesgo | Lastfm: sjchszeppelin | Backloggery: colincummings | 3DS FC: 1392-6019-0219 |
  • VirumVirum Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    Bookmarked.

I love this.

Virum on
    edited May 2008
    CapnMango wrote: »
    This is the first time I've checked the forums in a while, and I'm glad I did. I read "Comics made by people named Allan", and I was compelled to visit this thread, because my middle name is Allen. Yes, I am that full of myself.

Okay, not really. At least I hope not.

Anywho, I love the comic, much like everyone else.

Awesome! There are not enough Allens, Alans, or Allans in the world IMO.

Thanks for enjoying it man! Glad to have you reading!
    Godfather wrote: »
    Whew! Took some time, but I finally finished reading all of the comics!

Allan you suave motherfucker, I have to take you out for drinks or something. Clocking Ricky just bought you a round at the bar of your choosing me boy!

Hahaha, thanks man. Looking back it probably wasn't the best idea, but when I'm talking to someone named Godfather, who really cares whether I was right or not?
    vegeta_666 wrote: »
    Just read all your comics and they are awesome. Being a teenager same age as you, alot of the things you're saying are my own thoughts as well. So much <3 for this comic.

Thanks man! So how about that High School, huh?
    Virum wrote: »
    Bookmarked.

I love this.

You rock Virum. <3

Allan on
  • VirumVirum Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    Allan wrote: »
    Bookmarked.

I love this.

You rock Virum. <3

Ass kisser. ;)

But seriously, I didn't have the "highschool experience," so it's even more interesting to me - and it's cool how a lot of it still "rings true" and how much I can sympathize with certain feelings.

Virum on
  • Vann DirasVann Diras Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    Wow, I'm really glad someone linked this to me. Really fantastic read, I enjoyed all of it.

Plus your art is just so damn charming. Keep it up

Vann Diras on
  • GodfatherGodfather Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    Bookmarked.

I love this.

You rock Virum. <3

Ass kisser. ;)

But seriously, I didn't have the "highschool experience," so it's even more interesting to me - and it's cool how a lot of it still "rings true" and how much I can sympathize with certain feelings.

Same. Kind of makes me wish I had those experiences, but that's what happens when you can't find that right "click" to bum around with.

Still, these are quite the read. It makes me remember a lot of thing about high school that I haven't thought of in years (both good and bad).

Godfather on
  • vegeta_666vegeta_666 CanadaRegistered User regular
    edited May 2008

Thanks man! So how about that High School, huh?

Heh, constant drama and homework. Fun times indeed. Although, you did play Strip poker so Hi5. I'm not that lucky.

Although, I will continue to follow this. It is good stuff.

vegeta_666 on
    Sob24Nm.png
    Steam: abunchofdaftpunk | PSN: noautomobilesgo | Lastfm: sjchszeppelin | Backloggery: colincummings | 3DS FC: 1392-6019-0219 |
  • wakkawawakkawa Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    I like this comic.

I mean, theres just not much more else to say.

wakkawa on
  • KalTorakKalTorak One way or another, they all end up in the Undercity.Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    The style of story and the art remind me a bit of the graphic novel "Blankets," another autobiographical comic.

KalTorak on
    edited May 2008
    Vann Diras wrote: »
    Wow, I'm really glad someone linked this to me. Really fantastic read, I enjoyed all of it.

Plus your art is just so damn charming. Keep it up

Thanks man! I plan to.
    Godfather wrote: »
    Bookmarked.

I love this.

You rock Virum. <3

Ass kisser. ;)

Same. Kind of makes me wish I had those experiences, but that's what happens when you can't find that right "click" to bum around with.

Still, these are quite the read. It makes me remember a lot of thing about high school that I haven't thought of in years (both good and bad).

I'm glad I could be of assistance, hah. I guess if I make anyone recall anything that was important enough in their life to store then I'm doing a good job!
    Heh, constant drama and homework. Fun times indeed. Although, you did play Strip poker so Hi5. I'm not that lucky.

Although, I will continue to follow this. It is good stuff.

Go to some crazy parties. Maybe you'll get lucky?
    wakkawa wrote: »
    I like this comic.

I mean, theres just not much more else to say.

You said a mouthful, buddy. Thanks.
    KalTorak wrote: »
    The style of story and the art remind me a bit of the graphic novel "Blankets," another autobiographical comic.

I checked out Blankets, and I'm taking that as a compliment! Thanks man!

Allan on
  • INeedNoSaltINeedNoSalt with blood on my teeth Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    Are you going to include a strip where you go to an internet forum to show your strip and then everyone in the forum falls head over heels for your strip

(I am head over heels for your strip)

INeedNoSalt on
    edited May 2008
    Are you going to include a strip where you go to an internet forum to show your strip and then everyone in the forum falls head over heels for your strip

(I am head over heels for your strip)

Haha, I might just do that! If I'm ever running low on ideas I'm definitely going to mention my forum-going.

Also thank you! :D

Allan on
    edited May 2008
    Hey guys, I'd like a bit more feedback on the new style if anyone's willing to input it.

Here's some comparing/contrasting pics:

Old:

20080411.gif

New:

20080513.gif

Old:

20080202.gif

New:

20080515.gif

Pros/cons. Digital-handwriting/handwriting. Expressions/Expressions. Solid colors/hatched black.

Anything you can contribute will be helpful! Thanks guys!

Allan on