As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Comics made by people named Allan (Shirt on page 15)

• KealohaKealoha Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    jokingly or not, if he did that the end of the comics would be spoiled. its already been pointed out in this thread that the long format is perfect for comics, as it conceals the punchline.

Kealoha on
    !! ! ! !!
  • AllanAllan Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    True that.

Hey guys, I made a short animation late last night. You can see it here

Allan on
    banndd1av6.gifbannerdd2or5.gif
  • srsizzysrsizzy Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    That animation is really good. I love each of the individual facial expressions for words. You should do more.

srsizzy on
    BRO LET ME GET REAL WITH YOU AND SAY THAT MY FINGERS ARE PREPPED AND HOT LIKE THE SURFACE OF THE SUN TO BRING RADICAL BEATS SO SMOOTH THE SHIT WILL BE MEDICINAL-GRADE TRIPNASTY MAKING ALL BRAINWAVES ROLL ON THE SURFACE OF A BALLS-FEISTY NEURAL RAINBOW CRACKA-LACKIN' YOUR PERCEPTION OF THE HERE-NOW SPACE-TIME SITUATION THAT ALL OF LIFE BE JAMMED UP IN THROUGH THE UNIVERSAL FLOW BEATS
  • Muse Among MenMuse Among Men Suburban Bunny Princess? Its time for a new shtick Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    Allan! I've actually been a fan of your comics for a while, I'd only seen you post once or twice ... The writing of your comics is fine by me, what critique I will share is to play around with the linework. You tend to use the same line-width; varying widths can add tremendous depth to a drawing.

Muse Among Men on
  • r-jasperr-jasper Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    Allan wrote: »
    True that.

that's cool man. if you're just playing around in flash for something to do, no worries. but if you're thinking of doing more you may want to add more inbetweens in the animation. at the moment it's all very jumpy. it's heaps more fluid when he pulls his head back in anticipation to say "cause those things are hilarious" (or somthing similar to that).

also if you want to play around a bit more you could try sincing the audio a little more realisticly. there are only 4 basic mouth shapes that you need to make it look beleivable.

nice work man. i hope to see more.

r-jasper on
    edited September 2008
    r-jasper wrote: »
    True that.

that's cool man. if you're just playing around in flash for something to do, no worries. but if you're thinking of doing more you may want to add more inbetweens in the animation. at the moment it's all very jumpy. it's heaps more fluid when he pulls his head back in anticipation to say "cause those things are hilarious" (or somthing similar to that).

also if you want to play around a bit more you could try sincing the audio a little more realisticly. there are only 4 basic mouth shapes that you need to make it look beleivable.

Thanks jasper. I just wanted to crank something out last night in a short amount of time. I animated the banner at the top of the page, too, which as you can imagine, took a long time.

If I decide to do any more in-depth animations I will definitely put more effort into 'em

Allan on
  • r-jasperr-jasper Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    r-jasper wrote: »
    True that.

Thanks jasper. I just wanted to crank something out last night in a short amount of time. I animated the banner at the top of the page, too, which as you can imagine, took a long time.

If I decide to do any more in-depth animations I will definitely put more effort into 'em
    the walk cycle in the banner is pretty rad. ;)

r-jasper on
    edited September 2008
    Allan! I've actually been a fan of your comics for a while, I'd only seen you post once or twice ... The writing of your comics is fine by me, what critique I will share is to play around with the linework. You tend to use the same line-width; varying widths can add tremendous depth to a drawing.

Thank you very much, Muse! I will take that into consideration and will play around with line width in the future!

Allan on
  • LaonarLaonar Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    I am at work now but just read through 50 or so on lunch, I cant wait to get home and read the archive. This is a awesome comic that reminds me of growing up lol. Great laughs all around, good job on the comic.

Laonar on
    edited October 2008
    Laonar wrote: »
    I am at work now but just read through 50 or so on lunch, I cant wait to get home and read the archive. This is a awesome comic that reminds me of growing up lol. Great laughs all around, good job on the comic.

Thanks Lao! I appreciate your readership/compliments!

Allan on
  • archonwarparchonwarp Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    Allan, your comic is seriously awesome! It's really neat to see how your art style seems to have 'solidified' itself over time. There's a definite improvement from the very first comics to the current set! Also, I just read 423 comics in a row... I have class in 5 1/2 hours. Damn you for being entertaining!

archonwarp on
    873342-1.png
  • ProspicienceProspicience The Raven King DenvemoloradoRegistered User regular
    edited October 2008
    I made this a few weeks back and just read Day 419... don't feel bad Allan:
    2851746628_1f660e49d6_o.jpg

Prospicience on
    edited October 2008
    Hey, Allan? Can you provide me with pictures of the sort of hat that actual resembles your hat in your comic? I cannot imagine a physical object inciting recognition of you...I always figured you were drawing a stylized baseball hat.

srsizzy on
    BRO LET ME GET REAL WITH YOU AND SAY THAT MY FINGERS ARE PREPPED AND HOT LIKE THE SURFACE OF THE SUN TO BRING RADICAL BEATS SO SMOOTH THE SHIT WILL BE MEDICINAL-GRADE TRIPNASTY MAKING ALL BRAINWAVES ROLL ON THE SURFACE OF A BALLS-FEISTY NEURAL RAINBOW CRACKA-LACKIN' YOUR PERCEPTION OF THE HERE-NOW SPACE-TIME SITUATION THAT ALL OF LIFE BE JAMMED UP IN THROUGH THE UNIVERSAL FLOW BEATS
    edited October 2008
    srsizzy wrote: »
    Hey, Allan? Can you provide me with pictures of the sort of hat that actual resembles your hat in your comic? I cannot imagine a physical object inciting recognition of you...I always figured you were drawing a stylized baseball hat.

Kinda like this, only more worn and gross

allanhatlp1.png

Also, there is no image of me on my hat. That would be pretty pretentious

Allan on
    edited October 2008

I've--I've never been called a Lactard before.

I--I don't know how to feel about this.

Allan on
  • The Black HunterThe Black Hunter The key is a minimum of compromise, and a simple, unimpeachable reason to existRegistered User regular
    edited October 2008
    Haha oh god now I need to find out who of my friends aree lactose intolerant

The Black Hunter on
    edited October 2008
    srsizzy wrote: »

Kinda like this, only more worn and gross

allanhatlp1.png

Also, there is no image of me on my hat. That would be pretty pretentious
    Wait...did someone honestly recognize you because of this hat?
    o_O
    Either you manage to draw yourself very accurately, or this guy is psychic.

srsizzy on
    edited October 2008
    No, no, no.

They said the hat reminded them of "a comic they read"

I took it to mean mine

I was right!

I guess trucker hats are kind of my thing?

Allan on
  • The Black HunterThe Black Hunter The key is a minimum of compromise, and a simple, unimpeachable reason to existRegistered User regular
    edited October 2008
    Well it is your only defining feature

(Aside from breaking that poor boys heart)

The Black Hunter on
  • ProspicienceProspicience The Raven King DenvemoloradoRegistered User regular
    edited October 2008

I've--I've never been called a Lactard before.

I--I don't know how to feel about this.

Be proud... I am.
    2850913439_6f80897d3f_o.jpg

Prospicience on
  • GodfatherGodfather Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    Allan, I have a question to ask but I don't want you to take it personal or anything, alright? I'm going to spoiler it just in case, because it's not really a critique:
    Ever since you moved i've noticed that the comics seem to center more around you; instead of your experiences at school with those oh-so-crazy buddies of yours there are more comics focused around your daily house activities or simple observations you have at school.

Again, don't take this the wrong way, but how has your social life been since the move? I ask because you seem to have hit a bit of a standstill story-wise. I can totally understand, because hey, life is life and all that, but I found the shenanigans between you and your buddies all the more entertaining than they are now. The wild parties, the entertaining friendships, the classic high-school drama we all know and love (or hate). That was a lot of fun to read, and kind of makes what's going on now a bit vanilla.

I guess what i'm wondering is how are things over in the new land? Have you made any new friends/enemies/etc? There was that one girl who introduced you to her friends, but I haven't read anything past that. Did that turn sour, or has there not been enough material to go by? I guess i'm expecting way too much out of this or something, like i'm expecting story arcs and whatnot, even though that is a completely ridiculous assumption.

So yeah, not really a critique or anything, just kind of curious as to how things are going over in Allan world.

Godfather on
    edited October 2008
    Godfather wrote: »
    So yeah, not really a critique or anything, just kind of curious as to how things are going over in Allan world.
    The question on all of our minds.

srsizzy on
  • Dread Pirate ArbuthnotDread Pirate Arbuthnot OMG WRIGGLY T O X O P L A S M O S I SRegistered User regular
    edited October 2008
    God I just read through the entire archive in one sitting. That was pretty fantastic. I donated $5.

Dread Pirate Arbuthnot on
    edited October 2008
    Allan, I have a question to ask but I don't want you to take it personal or anything, alright? I'm going to spoiler it just in case, because it's not really a critique:
    Ever since you moved i've noticed that the comics seem to center more around you; instead of your experiences at school with those oh-so-crazy buddies of yours there are more comics focused around your daily house activities or simple observations you have at school.

Again, don't take this the wrong way, but how has your social life been since the move? I ask because you seem to have hit a bit of a standstill story-wise. I can totally understand, because hey, life is life and all that, but I found the shenanigans between you and your buddies all the more entertaining than they are now. The wild parties, the entertaining friendships, the classic high-school drama we all know and love (or hate). That was a lot of fun to read, and kind of makes what's going on now a bit vanilla.

I guess what i'm wondering is how are things over in the new land? Have you made any new friends/enemies/etc? There was that one girl who introduced you to her friends, but I haven't read anything past that. Did that turn sour, or has there not been enough material to go by? I guess i'm expecting way too much out of this or something, like i'm expecting story arcs and whatnot, even though that is a completely ridiculous assumption.

You know, ever since I have moved I have been somewhat of a loner. Maybe it takes more time for me to make new friends as compared to regular people. Maybe I just have high standards as to what a friend is. I'm sure a lot of people who know me at this new school think of me as their friend (I bet Greg thinks I'm his friend), but I guess I just feel really uncomfortable ever since I've moved.

I expected it to be easy. Maybe find another Rob, another Ryan, yet here I sit with literally no one to talk to.

Yesterday I made a... I dunno... a promise I guess?--telling myself to get out there and stop being so lonely. Get some phone numbers. Get some names. Today was Monday and I think I might've made a few impressions. I dunno. We will see how it works out, I guess.

Life is unpredictable, y'know.

Allan on
    edited October 2008
    God I just read through the entire archive in one sitting. That was pretty fantastic. I donated $5.

Oh that was you! Thanks DP!

Anything I can do for you in return?

Allan on
    edited October 2008

You know, ever since I have moved I have been somewhat of a loner. Maybe it takes more time for me to make new friends as compared to regular people. Maybe I just have high standards as to what a friend is. I'm sure a lot of people who know me at this new school think of me as their friend (I bet Greg thinks I'm his friend), but I guess I just feel really uncomfortable ever since I've moved.

I expected it to be easy. Maybe find another Rob, another Ryan, yet here I sit with literally no one to talk to.

Yesterday I made a... I dunno... a promise I guess?--telling myself to get out there and stop being so lonely. Get some phone numbers. Get some names. Today was Monday and I think I might've made a few impressions. I dunno. We will see how it works out, I guess.

Life is unpredictable, y'know.

I think it's because this is the first time you've really been out of your element; everything you've known, everything you're so used to seeing has now been taken away from you. Unless you've moved previously before, you've been able to grow up with your group of buddies to where meeting up with them has become second nature, and now that you've somewhat been tossed into the wolves' den you're struggling to make sense of how things work in this new town. Maybe it's because you've become reliant on your buddies to introduce people to you, or maybe you've met most of your buds at social gatherings from another one of your friends, but either way if this is the case I can see why it would be so hard to meet some new friends in your new home. I think if you managed to snag a starter friend or two it would get the ball rolling for you socially, as you'd just jump ship from one friendship to another when those starters take you to concerts, parties, whatever.

Or, you know, I could be full of shit. Either way is fine.

Godfather on
  • MustangMustang Arbiter of Unpopular Opinions Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    Nothing wrong with being full of shit, it's what got me where I am today.....which just happens to be nowhere.

Don't worry Al, you're a funny lad and people like funny, I'm sure it's only a matter of time before your cannons pentrate the outer defences of a clique and you can make a tactical advance into their core, maybe even become their leader.

Mustang on
    edited October 2008
    I went through a similar situation when I moved during the school year, so I can relate a bit. What I described was what pretty much happened to me.

Godfather on
  • Dread Pirate ArbuthnotDread Pirate Arbuthnot OMG WRIGGLY T O X O P L A S M O S I SRegistered User regular
    edited October 2008

Oh that was you! Thanks DP!

Anything I can do for you in return?

I guess you could either keep making quality comics, or you could make the sweet, sweet love to me. It's really up to you.

Dread Pirate Arbuthnot on
  • Grim OutlookGrim Outlook Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    lately it seems like the bonus panels are just the last panels of the normal comic instead of just like an alt text gag or something.

wouldn't that make it kind of hard for new readers to get since the bonus image changes each time a new one is put up?

Grim Outlook on
    edited October 2008

Dude, I just started college and I totally get you. I'm glad to hear someone else articulate the exact feelings I have. I thought I was broken or something. Normally I'm not antisocial, but I guess I just don't make friends right off the bat. You are a regular person...in that there's no such thing as "Regular people." We're all different. But on this, you and I are alike.

Maybe I should be inspired to talk to people more. Eh...I don't like people. :D

srsizzy on
    edited October 2008
    DP: I'll take the lovemaking for the love of God.

Everyone else: thank you dudes for being understanding about the--uncomfortableness? Loneliness?

A big mistake I think is most readers assume I can just go into any new place and be everyone's best friend. it's probably because they came into my life midway through something (in the beginning of the strip everything was cool). Now, new stuff is happening. New stuff that has never happened. People are impatient and I think the biggest drawback for my comic is that people want to read big chunks of it at a time. When they can't the strips don't seem as special. I am just speculating here, but even the strips I hated when I put up before I now like, because I can read them all in succession.

Grim: Dunno about that. I think every strip ends well IMO, and usually the bonus panels are just jokes. They are more realistic jokes than what most people expect (like most dudes might actually believe these bonus panels are happening), but 90% of the time they are fiction.

Also, sorry for missing a few updates, dudes. I try to stay punctual with my comic but as you guys know, sometimes life conflicts with a comic about life.

Allan on
  • DeeLockDeeLock Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    Dude Allan!

You made me start to watch the Office.

Thank you so much.

DeeLock on
  • TamTam Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    DP: I'll take the lovemaking for the love of God.

Everyone else: thank you dudes for being understanding about the--uncomfortableness? Loneliness?

A big mistake I think is most readers assume I can just go into any new place and be everyone's best friend. it's probably because they came into my life midway through something (in the beginning of the strip everything was cool). Now, new stuff is happening. New stuff that has never happened. People are impatient and I think the biggest drawback for my comic is that people want to read big chunks of it at a time. When they can't the strips don't seem as special. I am just speculating here, but even the strips I hated when I put up before I now like, because I can read them all in succession.

Grim: Dunno about that. I think every strip ends well IMO, and usually the bonus panels are just jokes. They are more realistic jokes than what most people expect (like most dudes might actually believe these bonus panels are happening), but 90% of the time they are fiction.

Also, sorry for missing a few updates, dudes. I try to stay punctual with my comic but as you guys know, sometimes life conflicts with a comic about life.

If they don't like The Office, they don't deserve to be your friends

Tam on
    edited October 2008
    DeeLock wrote: »
    Dude Allan!

You made me start to watch the Office.

Thank you so much.

<3<3 <3<3<3!!!

Allan on
  • bdshortbdshort Registered User new member
    edited October 2008
    I just discovered this comic a couple of days ago (I just started exploring web comics in general, actually!) and I finished reading through the whole archive tonight. I guess that says I like it then, eh? Keep up the good work!

I do think at some point you're going to have to stop worrying about people at your school reading your comic... if you really wanted to keep the whole thing secret, you probably shouldn't have used your real name, and changed your friends names as well... it's the internet, people are GOING to find out, especially since it seems to be popular.

Looking forward to new strips, but a bit :( I can't read a whole bunch at once now.

bdshort on
  • vrempirevrempire Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    Hi Allan,
    yeah, the hard part about making the online comic is to make sure it is published according to schedule especially if it done as a part time (but committed) hobby. wish you luck :)

vrempire on
    vrembanner.gif
    edited December 2008
    Guys sorry for my absence from this thread. My bad.

Good news, though, I am pleased with the newest strip:

20081208.gif

Allan on
  • zero_onezero_one Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    i just read that strip about 5 minutes ago and had to read it about 4 more times, then email it to my sister because it's that good! srsly dawg good work!

zero_one on
  • KalTorakKalTorak One way or another, they all end up in the Undercity.Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    bwaaaahahahaaahahahahaaa!

Seriously man, that was awesome. Heartfelt and personal, but with a killer finish that I didn't see coming at all. Well done.

KalTorak on