As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Problems with Presario 2100 laptop

amateurhouramateurhour One day I'll be professionalhourThe woods somewhere in TennesseeRegistered User regular
So a friend of mine gave me a free laptop, which is awesome. It's the Presario 2100 from a couple years back.

It's got an AMD Athlon XP mobile processor (2.16 ghz), 704 megs of ram, ATI graphics, and is overall a pretty good system. He said the only problem was that the pci card slot and usb drives won't work. I haven't tried the pcmia slot yet, but the USB port does nothing when I plug something in.

Thing is though, they're both registered as working properly in hardware settings, so I know they're at least still connected to the motherboard and registering.

My questions are:

1) Any way to fix the usb port issue? I've got XP pro installed with all the latest updates, and what I think are the latest updates for the laptop hardware.

2) If not, where is a reputable place to buy motherboards online? They're too expensive through compaq, and I've gotten bad reviews about the ebay sellers through compaq support forums. (I checked the support forums for USB help, but to no avail)

If I can't get it working, and the motherboard is too expensive, I'm going to gut the screen for another project and just use it as a firewall/file server. Just hoping I could get it working first.

are YOU on the beer list?
amateurhour on