As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[SPOILERS in TAGS] MGS4: Guns Of The Patriots - "I'm no hero..."

• Options
    IgortIgort Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    The_Scarab wrote: »
    Be cool man. Be cool.

You're a cool guy, so I am letting this go.

This time.

Igort on
  • Options
    FawstFawst The road to awe.Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    I won't.

HOW DARE YOU INSULT THE MONKEY?!

Fawst on
  • Options
    The_ScarabThe_Scarab Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    But come on. It's stupid.

Metal Gear Solid has always had a certain level of surrealism and weirdness which is part of the charm. But come the fuck on. A monkey in a nappy.

COME THE FUCK ON

The_Scarab on
  • Options
    edited May 2008
    But come on. It's stupid.

Metal Gear Solid has always had a certain level of surrealism and weirdness which is part of the charm. But come the fuck on. A monkey in a nappy.

COME THE FUCK ON

They're actually metal pants.

Get it right man.
    You just know there's gonna be a "Metal... Pants!?" line in there somewhere.

Igort on
  • Options
    CantidoCantido Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    I might get a PS3 for this. Not so much this but that Iron Man makes me want to get on the Blu Ray bandwagon, and MGS4 would be my first game. I'm glad they're 400, but it sucks backwards compatability is gone.

Cantido on
    3DS Friendcode 5413-1311-3767
  • Options
    edited May 2008
    Hey, everyone in the UK will be glad to hear that the Limited Edition has been confirmed. Unfortunately it's exclusive to PLAY.com, and is around £80. Here's what it comes with:
    PLAY.com wrote:
    Limited Edition contents:
    6" Old Snake 'Olive Drab' action figure
    "The Making Of Metal Gear Solid 4" documentary on Blu-ray Disc
    Official Metal Gear Solid 4 soundtrack

Meaning we don't get MGSaga, Vol. 2 (which is crap anyway) or the Artbook, but we get the Action Figure to make up for it. Check it out here.

You guys have probably heard we're getting the MGS4/PS3 bundle too.

Igort on
  • Options
    DarkWarriorDarkWarrior __BANNED USERS regular
    edited May 2008
    Wait, do we still get just the ordinary pre-order edition with the cooler cover? I really don't need an 80 quid action figure set.

DarkWarrior on
  • Options
    FawstFawst The road to awe.Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    Wait a minute, why do I keep hearing about this lack of B/C on 80gb models? The 80gb HAS B/C, it's the 40gb that doesn't. 80gb has software emulation, as opposed to the 60gb model which had the actual hardware for PS2. Whether or not there is PS1 B/C in the 80gb is another debate entirely. But please, don't tell me I'm gonna have to buy a PS2 AND a PS3.

EDIT: Confirming with a user on another forum that 80gb does indeed have B/C of PS1 and PS2, back when I get a response... of course, anyone here with an 80gb PS3 wants to speak up and settle this, please do! :)

Fawst on
  • Options
    Radikal_DreamerRadikal_Dreamer Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    Fawst wrote: »
    Wait a minute, why do I keep hearing about this lack of B/C on 80gb models? The 80gb HAS B/C, it's the 40gb that doesn't. 80gb has software emulation, as opposed to the 60gb model which had the actual hardware for PS2. Whether or not there is PS1 B/C in the 80gb is another debate entirely. But please, don't tell me I'm gonna have to buy a PS2 AND a PS3.

EDIT: Confirming with a user on another forum that 80gb does indeed have B/C of PS1 and PS2, back when I get a response... of course, anyone here with an 80gb PS3 wants to speak up and settle this, please do! :)

Uh, yeah, the 80gbs have software PS2 BC, and it's pretty good. Everything can play PS1 games, too, by the way.

Radikal_Dreamer on
    theincidentsig.jpg
  • Options
    DashuiDashui Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    Igort wrote: »
    Hey, everyone in the UK will be glad to hear that the Limited Edition has been confirmed. Unfortunately it's exclusive to PLAY.com, and is around £80. Here's what it comes with:
    PLAY.com wrote:
    Limited Edition contents:
    6" Old Snake 'Olive Drab' action figure
    "The Making Of Metal Gear Solid 4" documentary on Blu-ray Disc
    Official Metal Gear Solid 4 soundtrack

Meaning we don't get MGSaga, Vol. 2 (which is crap anyway) or the Artbook, but we get the Action Figure to make up for it. Check it out here.

You guys have probably heard we're getting the MGS4/PS3 bundle too.

Looks like it's the same limited edition as in the US, but you guys get an action figure. :( I want a Snake action figure. :( I could play with him and go, "Can you shoot me rookie?" It would be super fun and awesome and sweet!

Dashui on
    Xbox Live, PSN & Origin: Vacorsis 3DS: 2638-0037-166
  • Options
    edited May 2008
    Dashui wrote: »
    Looks like it's the same limited edition as in the US, but you guys get an action figure. :( I want a Snake action figure. :( I could play with him and go, "Can you shoot me rookie?" It would be super fun and awesome and sweet!

eBay is your friend.

(I just went onto the American eBay site and everything to find that for you, so you better be happy!)

Igort on
  • Options
    finalbroadcastfinalbroadcast WisconsinRegistered User regular
    edited May 2008
    So my question is, after all the Snakes are dead what next for Metal Gear? Konami isn't going to let the series die, and somehow I doubt Kojima could stay away forever, so where does the series go next?

finalbroadcast on
    finalbroadcast.jpg
  • Options
    AJAlkaline40AJAlkaline40 __BANNED USERS regular
    edited May 2008
    Metal Gear Raiden.

I think that's what Kojima had in mind all along.

AJAlkaline40 on
    idiot.jpg
  • Options
    edited May 2008
    So my question is, after all the Snakes are dead what next for Metal Gear? Konami isn't going to let the series die, and somehow I doubt Kojima could stay away forever, so where does the series go next?

I, personally, like what Kojima was talking about in one interview. He said he had a sort of vision where Snake would be the videogame version of Bond. Different directors (and actors, etc etc) would do their version of the "Snake" character. So, we'd get a bunch of different games and stuff, and Kojima could go off and do his own thing.

Radikal_Dreamer on
    theincidentsig.jpg
  • Options
    edited May 2008

A new series, probably. Similar to Ac!d or Metal Gear: Ghost Babel.

Kojima was going to launch "Metal Gear My Page" where people could submit there own Metal Gear stories and in 10/15 years the Metal Gear Team were going to pick their favorites and use it for the next MGS. However I don't remember the site ever going live (it was supposed to late last year/early this year).

I remember the Bond idea. I'm not sure if I would like to see that, especially with how final Kojima wants this game to be. It might happen, but with Snake? ... Doubtful

Semi-MGS4 Speculation/Spoiler
    Raiden probably won't live through MGS4. Of course, I'm only speculating. There's a scene in one trailer where he coughs up some blood, and looks like he either faints or dies...

Igort on
  • Options
    DarkWarriorDarkWarrior __BANNED USERS regular
    edited May 2008
    I don;'t see Raiden living through MGS4 because from the sound of interviews, Kojima has done everything he can to make him bad ass and whose the most bad ass character in MGS? Motherfuckin' ninja. And what hapenned to Motherfuckin' Ninja?

And how bad ass is he still?

Exactly.

DarkWarrior on
  • Options
    edited May 2008
    I remember the Bond idea. I'm not sure if I would like to see that, especially with how final Kojima wants this game to be. It might happen, but with Snake? ... Doubtful

I don't know that he really meant the same Snake. Basically in my mind I just had some sort of government operative codenamed Snake doing sneaking missions, and that was basically the premise. Who snake was and what he was doing would all change. His appearance and all that would be different too.

Radikal_Dreamer on
    theincidentsig.jpg
  • Options
    edited May 2008
    ...and whose the most bad ass character in MGS?

Big Boss.

Prove me wrong.

Igort on
  • Options
    HyperAquaBlastHyperAquaBlast Registered User regular
    edited May 2008

Big Boss.

Prove me wrong.

The ninja has a gun for a arm and got squished by a robot. Big Boss has one eye and got caught on fire. Ninja wins

HyperAquaBlast on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    edited May 2008

Big Boss.

Prove me wrong.

The ninja has a gun for a arm and got squished by a robot. Big Boss has one eye and got caught on fire. Ninja wins

Big Boss built his own country.

With one eye.

Igort on
  • Options
    The_ScarabThe_Scarab Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    Ninja is a ninja.

Check and mate.

The_Scarab on
  • Options
    TimestonesTimestones Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    Ninja are overrated.

Timestones on
  • Options
    edited May 2008
    Ninja is a ninja.

Check and mate.

He's not really. Aside from the fact that he carries a sword, he does a pretty lousy job of doing what makes a ninja a ninja. He uses stealth, sure, but that's cheating. He runs around murdering everybody and making his presence felt constantly. A real ninja would never dream of doing such a thing.

So blagh.

And ninjas are overrated.

Igort on
  • Options
    Rogueknight-Rogueknight- Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    Does the fact Big Boss has one eye make him closer to a pirate as well.....No, I won't start that arguement. :P

It is fascinating watching these theories evolve from the trailers, there is so many directions this game could go and each one sounds like it has a fair shot at being awesome.

One thing I have discovered playing these games however is that no matter how much information is leaked, context is everything. In MGS 2 for example there was plenty of footage of a sinking ship, Ray pummeling the ship to the ground, Snake potentially drowning. In the game however, each of these scenes threw a curveball when you actually see what happens and more importantly what happens afterwards.

Added to this Metal Gear Solid 2 in particular showed moments in the trailers that didn't make it into the full game - such as Snake with a Famas spraying bullets at Ray on the deck of the ship.

The scene where the Marines stand off against the Russian Special Forces in the Ray Hanger for is a good example of misdirection. I had no idea that Ocelot would turn around and gun everyone down after going to such lengths with his plan. Did anyone expect Olga to come back after being such a hugely anticipated boss fight?

I guess my point is I expect to be suprised pretty much constantly by MGS4.

However, for the love of all that is good please add a pause button to the cutscenes. I get one shot at watching them, I want to hear everything that happens! Pause at start - strech legs, get drink, settle in and appreciate the effort that has gone in to making it like a movie.

Rogueknight- on
  • Options
    Speed RacerSpeed Racer Scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratchRegistered User regular
    edited May 2008
    The Metal gear in MGS2 is RAY, not REX.

Speed Racer on
  • Options
    edited May 2008
    However, for the love of all that is good please add a pause button to the cutscenes. I get one shot at watching them, I want to hear everything that happens! Pause at start - strech legs, get drink, settle in and appreciate the effort that has gone in to making it like a movie.

That's been confirmed.

Igort on
  • Options
    Rogueknight-Rogueknight- Registered User regular
    edited May 2008

Thanks, updated the original post. Its been too long since I played MGS2.

That's been confirmed.

Excellent! No more marathon playthroughs because I don't want to miss the cutscenes.

Rogueknight- on
  • Options
    UrianUrian __BANNED USERS regular
    edited May 2008

We are high rollers my friend

Urian on
  • Options
    edited May 2008
    Talk died out of this thread, huh?

I've got some pictures from the MGS4 event in Paris here (where the leaked picture we were discussing earlier originated) and I figured I'd post some. I won't post any with major spoilers.

Warning. Minor spoilers may follow.

Spoiler'd in case people moan.

Enjoy.

Igort on
  • Options
    xWonderboyxxWonderboyx Registered User regular
    edited May 2008

I've got some pictures from the MGS4 event in Paris here (where the leaked picture we were discussing earlier originated) and I figured I'd post some. I won't post any with major spoilers.

Enjoy.

Awesome.

xWonderboyx on
    shark2.jpg
    XBL - Follow Freeman
  • Options
    JJJJ DailyStormer Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    It's going to be so weird playing a MGS game where X is okay and O is cancel. I hope I can change it.

JJ on
  • Options
    HaikiraHaikira UKRegistered User regular
    edited May 2008
    Gametrailers is running a new Retrospective for the Metal Gear series. Seems to be running up to the release of MGS4. Worth checking out.

Haikira on
    steam_sig.png
    PSN:Hakira__
  • Options
    edited May 2008
    That Gametrailers thing was a really good watch. I was worried they wouldn't have done any research and it would be just plain bad, but it was good, and they knew what they were on about. I'm gonna add it to the OP.

Check it out.

Igort on
  • Options
    MalechaiMalechai Registered User regular
    edited May 2008

Big Boss.

Prove me wrong.

Yeah getting taken out by a lighter and an aresol can is kinda weak. Ninja wins.

Malechai on
    sig5ez4.jpg
  • Options
    Feels Good ManFeels Good Man Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    it's The Boss. Not The Ninja, or The Pirate.

Feels Good Man on
  • Options
    Handsome CostanzaHandsome Costanza Ask me about 8bitdo RIP Iwata-sanRegistered User regular
    edited May 2008

Enjoy.

Awesome.

Man, I want that statue, except for not in my bedroom where it's creepy gaze would probably give me nightmares.

Handsome Costanza on
    Nintendo Switch friend code: 7305-5583-0420. Add me!
    Resident 8bitdo expert.
    Resident hybrid/flap cover expert.
  • Options
    Dublo7Dublo7 Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    I think this game comes out on the same day as my final exam.

After that exam, I'm playing non-stop.

Dublo7 on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    MorninglordMorninglord I'm tired of being Batman, so today I'll be Owl.Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    In regards to your thoughts in the post above, I learned a while ago, assume nothing when it comes to Hideo fucking Kojima.

It wouldnt surprise me if you load up the game and the first level is Katamari Damacy, Tactical Rolling Action and has snake piling up metal gears to please the king of all foxdie or something.

I would play this level if it happened [1).] over and over and over and over and over and over and over [goto 1).]
    JJ wrote: »
    It's going to be so weird playing a MGS game where X is okay and O is cancel. I hope I can change it.

I have a japanese ps3, and I've noticed that some pal version games make a call to the ps3 to determine what the cancel/accept button is. In some games it will be circle to accept when faqs and people on message boards say otherwise. Othertime's it's obviously coded directly into the game, like in GTA IV.

Morninglord on
    (PSN: Morninglord) (Steam: Morninglord) (WiiU: Morninglord22) I like to record and toss up a lot of random gaming videos here.
  • Options
    edited May 2008
    First MGS4 review was released today by the Official Playstation Magazine, who gave it a 10/10. Considering it's the Official PSMagazine it's not really that surprising. Here's a Kotaku article, and here's some scans. Watch out, as the last line of the article could be considered a spoiler (if Hideo Kojima hadn't explicitly stated it in several interviews.)

Also, the track list for the soundtrack has leaked, so watch out for that. I'd post it, but I don't really want to read it, just in case. Although I've heard that, confirming my earlier suspicions, the Metal Gear Solid Main Theme is absent, which is a shame.

Igort on
  • Options
    lionheart_mlionheart_m Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    Avoid the last sentence of that review.

I mean you know it, but I just don't want to accept it much less read about it.

lionheart_m on
    3DS: 5069-4122-2826 / WiiU: Lionheart-m / PSN: lionheart_m / Steam: lionheart_jg
This discussion has been closed.