As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

The Memristor: L, R, and C have a New Buddy

TarantioTarantio Registered User regular
edited May 2008 in Debate and/or Discourse
Hewlett Packard just announced that they've created the first Memristor, a new elementary electronic component. Its resistance goes down when charge is driven one way, and its resistance goes up when charge flows the other way, and it remembers this state, without power.

Obviously huge for digital computing, the first story seems to be that it will allow for computers that boot up instantly, and eventual superior memory storage- replacing both RAM and hard disk. I would not be at all surprised if a great deal more than even that came from this, in analog electronics as well as digital.

Particularly cool note: the memristor was theorized to exist in 1971 by electrical engineer Leon Chua, derived from mathematical equations.

Now is a good time to be an inventor in the field of electronics, methinks. Anybody have any world-changing ideas yet?

[kurzweil]Does this mean the advent of the Singularity?[/kurzweil]

Links:
HP Discovers Potential "God Particle" of Electronics

Scientists Create First Memristor: Missing Fourth Electronic Circuit Element

Tarantio on

• Options
    FunkyWaltDoggFunkyWaltDogg Columbia, SCRegistered User regular
    edited May 2008
    This sounds so amazingly revolutionary that I'm having a hard time grasping that it could be real.

FunkyWaltDogg on
  • Options
    Bionic MonkeyBionic Monkey Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited May 2008
    Okay, I'm kinda keying into how important this is, but am still a layman. Break this down for me: why is this so important?

Edit: Besides the insta-booting computers I mean. I'm just not really clear on what the technology is.

Bionic Monkey on
    sig_megas_armed.jpg
  • Options
    IncenjucarIncenjucar VChatter Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    edited May 2008
    Basically it's a bazillion teeny tiny toggle switches.

Heard about this a week or two ago. It'll be nice in 2020. :P

Incenjucar on
  • Options
    ThanatosThanatos Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    Meh. I'll believe it's important when I see it solving Chess.

Thanatos on
  • Options
    edited May 2008
    Thanatos wrote: »
    Meh. I'll believe it's important when I see it solving Chess.

We're going to need more atoms.

Incenjucar on
  • Options
    edited May 2008
    Okay, I'm kinda keying into how important this is, but am still a layman. Break this down for me: why is this so important?

Edit: Besides the insta-booting computers I mean. I'm just not really clear on what the technology is.

Well, I just finished my Electronics for Scientists II final today, but I'm certainly no expert. It's kinda tough if you don't know much about electronic circuits, or computing.

Here's an example- do you know how computer memory works right now? In most cases, there's a hard disk (magnetic ones and zeros, lots of space, slow to write/read) and RAM (random access memory; it's what the computer actually uses for what it's currently doing, but as soon as the power turns off, it loses everything).

Memristors can be used to store data within a circuit (so it can be used for what the computer is actually doing) without power.

I feel like a bit of a fraud here, as there's not whole lot I know that isn't in the articles in the OP, and there are definitely people here who know more than me. But hopefully helps a little.

Tarantio on
  • Options
    edited May 2008
    It's not doing anything new, just the usual but smaller, cheaper, quieter, and more reliable, and I think faster.

--

Wait. That article suggests that it does something similar to my old "wavelength" idea because binary recording is lame. That would be nice. Also I expect royalties.

Incenjucar on
  • Options
    edited May 2008
    Yeah, definitely smaller- it's at about the size-per-bit as a hard drive disk now, with each one at 15 nanometers across or so. And they think they can get them to 4nm or less.

Ooh, new links:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Memristor

http://www.eetimes.com/news/latest/showArticle.jhtml?articleID=207403521

Second one talks about how part of the reason making these took so long is that people thought the fundamental relationship of electronics was between voltage and charge, and now they're saying that it's actually between flux (change in voltage) and charge.

Tarantio on
  • Options
    NORNOR Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    Well apparently these memristors can do something computers currently cannot do, store information in a non-binary format. Instead of 1 and 0 it knows 1, 0, and everything in between basically.

NOR on
    Swehehehehehahahahahahahahahawhawhawhaw
  • Options
    edited May 2008
    NOR wrote: »
    Well apparently these memristors can do something computers currently cannot do, store information in a non-binary format. Instead of 1 and 0 it knows 1, 0, and everything in between basically.

That's an interesting aspect- if it's important early on, though, it would represent a very fundamental change in the way computing currently works.

Said simply, we use binary because it easier. Analog electronics are fidgety- they don't always work quite right, and they're a lot harder to get working "perfectly"- digital electronics you pretty much just have to turn on.

Here's an analogy my professor used: Imagine you and a friend are trying to send information to each other down a long hallway, with lamps. You've each got a lamp with a variable aperture, with ten settings of brightness. You can use that to send numbers- 9 is brightest, 1 is dimmest, 0 is dark.

Now, in perfect conditions, you might be able to use this system to send, say, your phone number. But what if the hallway's filled with fog, he's really far away? It's going to be very difficult to tell the difference between, say, a 7 and a 6. Mistakes are going to be made.

Now say you decided to just use the brightest lamp setting and off to send information. You have to flash a lot more times for the same amount of information, but it's a lot harder to confuse. This way, you can actually get stuff done.

(by the way, my professor is the guy who invented those security tags that beep when you pass through a gate)

If they can eventually shrink these memristors to a scale similar to that of neurons, then maybe the variability they have can be put to real use. Hell, it's possible that this is the secret to real artificial intelligence, so I'm not going to make any predictions.

Tarantio on
  • Options
    KageraKagera Imitating the worst people. Since 2004Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    So can I finally run :insert PC game with crazy requirements in 5 years:

Kagera on
    My neck, my back, my FUPA and my crack.
  • Options
    electricitylikesmeelectricitylikesme Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    I'm confused by how you can call these things an additional "fundamental" circuit element. I thought the capacitor, resistor and inductor were fundamental because if you take a bunch of wires you end up with some version of these three. Where the fuck does a memristor figure into this?

(this in no way implies I do not find this idea extremely cool, in fact I am highly excited by the possibilities here).

EDIT: I don't think these are a revolution in making computers work "analog" though, however they certainly give us some interesting new ways to go A2D.

EDIT 2: Actually thinking about this more I guess I can see their point since these things are kind of classically ohmic circuit elements, but still.

Nonetheless, my questions are (1) when will they be available at Jaycar and (2) what sort of range does the resistance go to? If you can go from like 0.1 ohms up to 1Mohm+ that'd be pretty damn rad.

electricitylikesme on
  • Options
    edited May 2008
    Now they just need to perfect sending multiple forms of data in the same burst and electronics will have caught up with my vision.

Incenjucar on
  • Options
    edited May 2008
    I'm confused by how you can call these things an additional "fundamental" circuit element. I thought the capacitor, resistor and inductor were fundamental because if you take a bunch of wires you end up with some version of these three. Where the fuck does a memristor figure into this?

(this in no way implies I do not find this idea extremely cool, in fact I am highly excited by the possibilities here).

EDIT: I don't think these are a revolution in making computers work "analog" though, however they certainly give us some interesting new ways to go A2D.

As I understand it, it's the fourth passive circuit element... ever. It does something, just with current applied, that has never been done before.

Tarantio on
  • Options
    edited May 2008
    Tarantio wrote: »

As I understand it, it's the fourth passive circuit element... ever. It does something, just with current applied, that has never been done before.
    Lies! Diodes do things without needing their own power.

EDIT: Reading the paper the argument is actually simply that you have 4 basic circuit values - charge, current, voltage and magnetic flux, which are connected by 6 mathematical relations (I don't fully understand where these come from) and such should give you 4, not 3, passive elements (and 2 innate relations that are a property of electricity).

electricitylikesme on
  • Options
    SenjutsuSenjutsu thot enthusiast Registered User regular
    edited May 2008

I forget who said it, but it's true:

Here's the big problem with all this singularity horseshit: Hardware may keep getting better and better, but software has been stuck at "fucking awful" for decades, and it ain't getting better anytime soon.

Senjutsu on
  • Options
    edited May 2008
    Senjutsu wrote: »

Here's the big problem with all this singularity horseshit: Hardware may keep getting better and better, but software has been stuck at "fucking awful" for decades, and it ain't getting better anytime soon.

Truest truth ever.

Incenjucar on
  • Options
    edited May 2008
    From the letter in Nature (which I'm still reading through right now I just found this helpful in understanding the whole brand new passive! thing)

memristivediagramgk5.gif

EDIT:

Ok, I finished the reading the letter. What HP have actually accomplished is a mathematical model of a memristor which has physical relevance i.e. they can actually relate it to physical effects within a semiconductor, which in turn has allowed them to explain a metric fuckload of oddities in solid-state nanoelectronics as being memristive effect.

The main issue is, memristivity seems to be limited strictly to nanoscale devices - their description is dependant on the fact that when you shove voltage into something that's a couple of nanometers big, the actual ionic impurities used to dope it can start moving around and as such change the observed resistance. While I'm finding the concept still interesting I'm not actually super-convinced that calling it "the missing passive" really makes a hell of a lot of sense. That isn't stopping me from jotting it down as a potential Ph D project application though :)

electricitylikesme on
  • Options
    TorgoTorgo Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    This is just an elaborate scam by Mad_Morlock. Pay no attention if you value your sanity.

Torgo on
    History is a spoiler for the future. (Me on Twitter)
  • Options
    GungHoGungHo Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    Senjutsu wrote: »

It's gotten worse. As things have gotten more complex, flaws have become much more obvious and are often fatal. We've barely scratched the surface of what we can do with our current tools, either out of expediency, laziness, or ignorance.

GungHo on
  • Options
    SiliconStewSiliconStew Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    This is an interesting effect. I'm not surprised that it hasn't been observed until now due to the nano-scale requirements.

I can definately see its use in memory applications, but like DRAM, it would need to be refreshed after every read. Unlike DRAM, however, it wouldn't need constant refreshes/power to maintain state.

It's not going to bring about an analog revolution for "general purpose" computers, though. Mostly due to the fact that you can't get rid of the instabilities/noise in any system. So it is tough to get guaranteed, repeatable results if you have a long, multi-element analog path. Digital avoids this by limiting the possible choices to just two. Analog is great, but digital is easier.
    Torgo wrote: »
    This is just an elaborate scam by Mad_Morlock. Pay no attention if you value your sanity.

Can't be. The math actually works.

SiliconStew on
    Just remember that half the people you meet are below average intelligence.
  • Options
    ElJeffeElJeffe Moderator, ClubPA mod
    edited May 2008
    So I'm still not seeing all the revolutionary stuff outside of computers that boot up really fast.

ElJeffe on
    I submitted an entry to Lego Ideas, and if 10,000 people support me, it'll be turned into an actual Lego set!If you'd like to see and support my submission, follow this link.
  • Options
    edited May 2008
    It's basically going to make for really nice rewritables, and possibly denser data bursts.

Perhaps the return of the video game cart. :rotate:

Incenjucar on
  • Options
    edited May 2008
    So faster versions of what we already have?

In the end, is this a quantitative of qualitative thing? Or is it too early to say?

ElJeffe on
    I submitted an entry to Lego Ideas, and if 10,000 people support me, it'll be turned into an actual Lego set!If you'd like to see and support my submission, follow this link.
  • Options
    TofystedethTofystedeth Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    As a fellow at Ars Technica put it:
    Since capacitors relate voltage to charge, and we want to relate charge to magnetic flux, instead of memristor, couldn't we just call this component a Flux Capacitor?

WHY HASN"T ANYONE ADDRESSED THIS IMPORTANT ISSUE!?

Tofystedeth on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    edited May 2008
    ElJeffe wrote: »

In the end, is this a quantitative of qualitative thing? Or is it too early to say?

This... this has pretty much been the entire history of computing.

Incenjucar on
  • Options
    edited May 2008
    Incenjucar wrote: »

This... this has pretty much been the entire history of computing.

Well, yes. But nobody gets terribly excited when Intel busts out their new Pentium 5 that tops out at 4GHz instead of 3.5GHz and contains 10M transistors instead of 9M. Whereas this seems to be generated some hullaballoo.

Basically, I'm trying to find a reason to get all giddy. I mean, it's conceptually cool, but I'm trying to connect the discovery to something really awesome, rather than being the 2,354th claim that we're just around the corner from advanced AI and neural networks.

ElJeffe on
  • Options
    chamberlainchamberlain Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    If this is non-volitile, could it replace both the hard drive and the RAM?

Massive storage available at RAM speeds sounds pretty cool.

chamberlain on
  • Options
    RandomEngyRandomEngy Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    Yeah I think killing the hard drive is a pretty big innovation. That's going to have way more of an impact than coming up with a 20% faster CPU. Also it lowers power consumption and computer noise. Plus they say they can make them even smaller. This means huge storage on your cell phone.

RandomEngy on
    Profile -> Signature Settings -> Hide signatures always. Then you don't have to read this worthless text anymore.
  • Options
    OboroOboro __BANNED USERS regular
    edited May 2008
    The thing that makes this the most exciting to me is that it's possible to create circuits where the setting of one memristor predicates the setting of a number of other elements. In effect, this is the necessary invention leading to solid-state data compression.

Oboro on
    words
  • Options
    Premier kakosPremier kakos Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited May 2008
    Shouldn't there be something that satisfies the differential F^x=dV/dΦ and F^x=dV/dΦ, where x=1 or -1? It seems like the four main ones relate four out of the pair-wise combinations of charge, flux, resistance, and voltage, so why isn't there something for the other two?

Premier kakos on
  • Options
    nuclearalchemistnuclearalchemist Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    Shouldn't there be something that satisfies the differential F^x=dV/dΦ and F^x=dV/dΦ and F^xdV/dΦ and F^xdI/dq, where x=1 or -1? It seems like the four main ones relate four out of the pair-wise combinations of charge, flux, resistance, and voltage, so why isn't there something for the other two?

Yeah, I'm pretty sure there are 2 more. Give me a while to figure out what they should be....

nuclearalchemist on
    ~Eigen-fleichen
  • Options
    Premier kakosPremier kakos Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited May 2008
    Memristor1.png

Memristor2.png

Premier kakos on
  • Options
    RandomEngyRandomEngy Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    Memristor1.png

Memristor2.png

That's pretty much the best instance of wikipedia vandalism I've seen.

RandomEngy on
    Profile -> Signature Settings -> Hide signatures always. Then you don't have to read this worthless text anymore.
  • Options
    Zilla360Zilla360 21st Century. |She/Her| Trans* Woman In Aviators Firing A Bazooka. ⚛️Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    :shock:

This is a huge discovery in electronics, I'm absolutely blown away by it. :D

Even the guy who theorized this components existence in the seventies is amazed that HP have actually gone and built one. It's incredible, and could have repercussions bigger than the atom bomb or genetics. Seriously. :shock:

Zilla360 on
  • Options
    zakkielzakkiel Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    So I'm still not seeing all the revolutionary stuff outside of computers that boot up really fast.

It's revolutionary if you're an electrical engineer; flip-flops and a lot of gates will probably be redesigned much more efficiently. No, it won't make your computer fly or bend space. I'm not sure what sort of revolution you imagine you might see as a consumer other than better data processing. Digital hardware is designed to realize a Turing machine. It can do it better, but it's still a Turing machine. Even if quantum computers were introduced you would still only see a faster, more powerful computer performing the same tasks.

zakkiel on
    Account not recoverable. So long.
  • Options
    zakkielzakkiel Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    Zilla360 wrote: »
    :shock:

This is a huge discovery in electronics, I'm absolutely blown away by it. :D

Even the guy who theorized this components existence in the seventies is amazed that HP have actually gone and built one. It's incredible, and could have repercussions bigger than the atom bomb or genetics. Seriously. :shock:

Care to explain?

zakkiel on
    Account not recoverable. So long.
  • Options
    OctoparrotOctoparrot Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    And those assholes were saying "Oh no the Spike won't come, computation speed is going to level off".

Don't praise the machine!

Octoparrot on