Our new Indie Games subforum is now open for business in G&T. Go and check it out, you might land a code for a free game. If you're developing an indie game and want to post about it, follow these directions. If you don't, he'll break your legs! Hahaha! Seriously though.
Our rules have been updated and given their own forum. Go and look at them! They are nice, and there may be new ones that you didn't know about! Hooray for rules! Hooray for The System! Hooray for Conforming!

PSP dead pixels

L|amaL|ama Registered User regular
So I just bought a PSP last week and it already has 2 dead pixels, does anyone know what kind of guidelines Sony has about how many need to go before they'll fix/replace it?

L|ama on

Posts

  • AtomBombAtomBomb Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    This is a quote from a little bit after the initial PSP release, and it's from an unnamed Sony rep, so take it as you will.

    "Any customer that is dissatisfied with their PSP can contact our customer service and follow the standard warranty procedure. There are no limits (or minimums) to constantly lit or dark pixels that are required for the warranty. It is important to note that as with any LCD product on the market, a very small number of dark pixels or continuously lit pixels is normal for LCD screens, and is not a sign of a malfunction."


    So I would recommend trying to return it to the store if it bothers you, and if they won't take it back contact Sony. Good luck getting a perfect one, I think dead pixels on PSP are pretty common. Mine has one, but I got it used so I just learned to live with it.

    I just got a 3DS XL. Add me! 2879-0925-7162
  • DyvionDyvion Glorious Okinawa, JapanRegistered User regular
    edited May 2008
    AtomBomb wrote: »
    This is a quote from a little bit after the initial PSP release, and it's from an unnamed Sony rep, so take it as you will.

    "Any customer that is dissatisfied with their PSP can contact our customer service and follow the standard warranty procedure. There are no limits (or minimums) to constantly lit or dark pixels that are required for the warranty. It is important to note that as with any LCD product on the market, a very small number of dark pixels or continuously lit pixels is normal for LCD screens, and is not a sign of a malfunction."


    So I would recommend trying to return it to the store if it bothers you, and if they won't take it back contact Sony. Good luck getting a perfect one, I think dead pixels on PSP are pretty common. Mine has one, but I got it used so I just learned to live with it.

    I have two pixels that show microscopic red dots that are always lit... it's like 1/4 of the pixel is bad. They're about half an inch apart and are both at the very top of my screen and don't bother me. What does bother me is I have a little piece of trash under the plastic that protects my screen. It's about a half inch down and the the right from the center of my screen, and covers roughly 3 pixels... and it bugs the crap out of me. I've heard you can just open it up to clean it out, or use canned air. I'm afraid to open my PSP Phat, and don't have any canned air (keep meaning to buy some). Anyone successfully cleaned trash out of there little plastic shield? And how'd you do it?

    Steam: No Safety In Life -- League of Legends: Dyvion -- PSN: Dyvion -- Gamecenter on ithingers: Dyvion
    Mechwarrior Online: Dyvion -- Hearthstone: Dyvion#1716 -- Hex: FortyTwo
    "XBLIG: It's like the video game equivalent of a candy bar." -Hatedinamerica
  • wunderbarwunderbar Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    Dyvion wrote: »
    AtomBomb wrote: »
    This is a quote from a little bit after the initial PSP release, and it's from an unnamed Sony rep, so take it as you will.

    "Any customer that is dissatisfied with their PSP can contact our customer service and follow the standard warranty procedure. There are no limits (or minimums) to constantly lit or dark pixels that are required for the warranty. It is important to note that as with any LCD product on the market, a very small number of dark pixels or continuously lit pixels is normal for LCD screens, and is not a sign of a malfunction."


    So I would recommend trying to return it to the store if it bothers you, and if they won't take it back contact Sony. Good luck getting a perfect one, I think dead pixels on PSP are pretty common. Mine has one, but I got it used so I just learned to live with it.

    I have two pixels that show microscopic red dots that are always lit... it's like 1/4 of the pixel is bad. They're about half an inch apart and are both at the very top of my screen and don't bother me. What does bother me is I have a little piece of trash under the plastic that protects my screen. It's about a half inch down and the the right from the center of my screen, and covers roughly 3 pixels... and it bugs the crap out of me. I've heard you can just open it up to clean it out, or use canned air. I'm afraid to open my PSP Phat, and don't have any canned air (keep meaning to buy some). Anyone successfully cleaned trash out of there little plastic shield? And how'd you do it?

    That is defined as a "Stuck" pixel. A dead pixel is a pixel displays only black, and will not light up. A stuck pixel is a pixel that has one color always stuck "on"

  • ZephonateZephonate Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    I heard somewhere that if you download a certain video file (don't know the name of it), onto a Pro Duo and run it on your PSP, it supposedly unsticks dead pixels. From what I remember, it was based on a similar concept used to unstick dead pixels on an LCD TV.

    Anyone know anything of this?

    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    "For a few seconds Oskar saw through Eli's eyes. And what he saw was...himself. Only much better, more handsome, stronger than what he thought of himself. Seen with love."
    --John Ajvide Lindqvist, Let the Right One In (Page 446).
  • DeusfauxDeusfaux Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    return it to where you ordered it and get another.

    if you bought it from a place without a decent return policy - lesson learned

    STEAM GIFTS 4 U: Nuclear Dawn (Steam gift)
    and Operation Flashpoint: Red River code to trade/sell
    and Halo: Reach code
    and Portal 2 code
  • TreasTreas Registered User
    edited May 2008
    Zephonate wrote: »
    I heard somewhere that if you download a certain video file (don't know the name of it), onto a Pro Duo and run it on your PSP, it supposedly unsticks dead pixels. From what I remember, it was based on a similar concept used to unstick dead pixels on an LCD TV.

    Anyone know anything of this?

    I remember hearing something along those lines as well, though I cant remember what it was called...

    My PSP (bought in '05) has 2 stuck pixels (from the time I bought it) and after about 8 or so months of use began to display only yellow in an entire column of pixels, about a quarter of the way to the center from the left side of the screen. I've learned to live with it, but it's still sad when I see how great games can look on the PSP in comparison when they don't have a yellow line running through them. -_-

  • txttxt Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    Treas wrote: »
    Zephonate wrote: »
    I heard somewhere that if you download a certain video file (don't know the name of it), onto a Pro Duo and run it on your PSP, it supposedly unsticks dead pixels. From what I remember, it was based on a similar concept used to unstick dead pixels on an LCD TV.

    Anyone know anything of this?

    I remember hearing something along those lines as well, though I cant remember what it was called...

    My PSP (bought in '05) has 2 stuck pixels (from the time I bought it) and after about 8 or so months of use began to display only yellow in an entire column of pixels, about a quarter of the way to the center from the left side of the screen. I've learned to live with it, but it's still sad when I see how great games can look on the PSP in comparison when they don't have a yellow line running through them. -_-

    http://www.psp-vault.com/Article168.psp
    video is there - I used it for a stuck pixel dead centre in my screen that was annoying the living shit out of me, and it worked a charm. Though apparently it hasn't been so successful with others, as the article says its worth giving it a shot anyway.

    lostsig.gif
  • TreasTreas Registered User
    edited May 2008
    txt wrote: »
    http://www.psp-vault.com/Article168.psp
    video is there - I used it for a stuck pixel dead centre in my screen that was annoying the living shit out of me, and it worked a charm. Though apparently it hasn't been so successful with others, as the article says its worth giving it a shot anyway.

    Thanks for the link, I tried this for about 4 hours today with no results... Oh well, I guess I'm just one of the unlucky ones, good thing I've already learned to live with it.

Sign In or Register to comment.