Our new Indie Games subforum is now open for business in G&T. Go and check it out, you might land a code for a free game. If you're developing an indie game and want to post about it, follow these directions. If you don't, he'll break your legs! Hahaha! Seriously though.
Our rules have been updated and given their own forum. Go and look at them! They are nice, and there may be new ones that you didn't know about! Hooray for rules! Hooray for The System! Hooray for Conforming!

The Invincible Iron Thread: The Movies, The Comics, The Ephemera

ServoServo Super Moderator, Moderator, ClubPA mod
edited April 2009 in Graphic Violence
So I saw it at an 8pm show today and holy balls it was sweet.

Robert Downy was pitch perfect as Tony Stark. A real dick who you'd want to hang out with anyway.

The evolution of the suit was very well done, I thought, and unlike every other "hero discovering his powers" sequence in superhero origin films, it was interesting and funny to watch, with all the screw-ups and laffos.

Stane was a so-so villain made much better by Jeff Bridge's performance and Paltrow as Pepper Potts (against all expectations) did not annoy me literally to death.

Primarily I must say, stay though the credits, beeyotch.
Spoiler:

I'm having a little trouble formulating more thoughts because I'm having a conversation while I'm typing and finding it hard to split my thoughts between the two, so comment further and I'll chime in later.

Servo on
newsigs.jpg

• The Geebs That Got BigtimedThe Geebs That Got Bigtimed Super Moderator, Moderator mod
    edited May 2008
    gwyneth paltrow was fantastic in this, I thought

but then, most everybody was

• RuinsRuins Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    Spoiler:

ach.png
  • ServoServo Super Moderator, Moderator, ClubPA mod
    edited May 2008
    Ruins wrote: »
    Spoiler:
    Spoiler:

newsigs.jpg
  • deadonthestreetdeadonthestreet Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    Marvel really knows how to do a movie. And how to set up sequels. The after the credits thing is a wide open door. And
    Spoiler:
    ? Great setup that most people probably won't get.

edited May 2008
    Marvel really knows how to do a movie. And how to set up sequels. The after the credits thing is a wide open door. And
    Spoiler:
    When did they mention the
    Spoiler:

Also,
    Spoiler:

ach.png
    edited May 2008
    i loved the new acronym for shield. i don't even remember all of it. strategic homeland something something. The first time that dude popped up I was like "wait, where's he from? oh snap son!" then started leaning over and whispering to my friends. "shield in the house, motherfuckers!"

also, how fucking cool was the closing scene?
    Spoiler:

love it

newsigs.jpg
  • deadonthestreetdeadonthestreet Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    Spoiler:
    Spoiler:
    Spoiler:

edited May 2008
    Spoiler:
    Spoiler:

Also,
    Spoiler:
    Spoiler:

newsigs.jpg
  • BucketmanBucketman Dyslexic Puppy Skraggle RockRegistered User regular
    edited May 2008
    I got to screen this today before the big showing.

Fucking.

Amazing.

God Downy Jr. as Stark was the best idea anyone has ever had. Ever.

Eyessig_zps359be8b5.png
    edited May 2008
    Servo wrote: »
    Spoiler:
    Spoiler:

Also,
    Spoiler:
    Spoiler:
    Spoiler:

ach.png
    edited May 2008
    Spoiler:
    Spoiler:

Also,
    Spoiler:
    Spoiler:
    Spoiler:
    Spoiler:

newsigs.jpg
  • The Geebs That Got BigtimedThe Geebs That Got Bigtimed Super Moderator, Moderator mod
    edited May 2008
    i loved the new acronym for shield. i don't even remember all of it. strategic homeland something something. The first time that dude popped up I was like "wait, where's he from? oh snap son!" then started leaning over and whispering to my friends. "shield in the house, motherfuckers!"

also, how fucking cool was the closing scene?
    Spoiler:

love it

and then it cuts right to black sabbath, which I was waiting for the whole movie

• Mars_UPMars_UP Registered User
    edited May 2008
    Spoiler:

• RobchamRobcham Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    Mars_UP wrote: »
    Spoiler:
    Spoiler:

edited May 2008
    Robcham wrote: »
    Spoiler:
    Spoiler:
    Spoiler:

edited May 2008
    Robcham wrote: »
    Spoiler:
    Spoiler:
    Spoiler:

edited May 2008
    By the way...
    Spoiler:

• bobgorilabobgorila Registered User
    edited May 2008
    I loved all the little touches like the TV show theme as Stark's ring-tone? Classy.

Also, <3 Stan Lee

Although... would it have been too much to ask for Bridges to be drinking a white russian in those scenes which required him to drink?

I like my women how I like my coffee.

Anally.
  • ProspicienceProspicience The Raven King DenvemoloradoRegistered User regular
    edited May 2008
    Bucketman wrote: »
    I got to screen this today before the big showing.

Fucking.

Amazing.

God Downy Jr. as Stark was the best idea anyone has ever had. Ever.

So pretty much Downy had the best idea ever. At least I think, because I heard he wanted the part but got rejected twice before they let him do it.

Also I'm extremely excited to see this tonight! Especially with what everyone is saying. WOO

Pfffffffffflickr ||Steam: IamBic || Bnet: IamBick#1264
  • EdcrabEdcrab Registered User
    edited May 2008
    So I saw the film and it was pretty much everything I could've hoped for. Awesomeness.

But I missed that end-of-credits scene. BAH.

cBY55.gifbmJsl.png
  • ZeromusZeromus Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    I will say the "I'm Iron Man" bit was absolutely fantastic.

pygsig.png
  • Robos A Go GoRobos A Go Go Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    Iron Man is definitely being graded on a curve due to being a superhero movie, but it's certainly the best rendition of a superhero yet and a good film overall. Tony's characterization was nailed, Stane is pretty creepy (even if his motives are a bit thin), the relationship with Pepper Potts goes beyond cliche of distant love brought closer by extraordinary circumstances, and the bits with the armor and final fight manage to excite without becoming the entire point of the film.

Finally, the final scene after the credits was a real treat, even for those who knew it was coming.

I have no real complaints beyond the generic rock they used for background music at points and the few moments where Pepper suddenly became a bit of a bumbling idiot.

Also, I liked the presence of SHIELD, but not so much the joke where they don't discover the magic of acronyms until the very end.

• GodfatherGodfather Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    Well thank you Cinemark Tinseltown for completely fucking up my Ironman experience.

What's that? You're going to cut off the sound half way through the picture, then let it keep running mute until the entire thing is shut down altogether? What's this? You're going to take twenty goddamn minutes to get it started again, only to have the rest of the feature with the most intense scenes played in mono sound?

Ugh.

0WBv0.png
    edited May 2008
    Godfather wrote: »
    Well thank you Cinemark Tinseltown for completely fucking up my Ironman experience.

What's that? You're going to cut off the sound half way through the picture, then let it keep running mute until the entire thing is shut down altogether? What's this? You're going to take twenty goddamn minutes to get it started again, only to have the rest of the feature with the most intense scenes played in mono sound?

Ugh.

Most theatres would give you a gift certificate after that, or something.

• GodfatherGodfather Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    Godfather wrote: »

Ugh.

Most theatres would give you a gift certificate after that, or something.

They gave me a raincheck, but now that I know everything that's going to happen in the movie, it's just not the same.

0WBv0.png
    edited May 2008
    I have no real complaints beyond the generic rock they used for background music at points and the few moments where Pepper suddenly became a bit of a bumbling idiot.

You're going to have to give examples there because I didn't see that at all.

edited May 2008

Spoiler:

• 143999143999 Duly appointed editor of the Tyrest AccordRegistered User regular
    edited May 2008
    You should spoiler those.

4Bpocis.png
    edited May 2008
    143999 wrote: »

Sure, though I think it's a little silly.

• bobgorilabobgorila Registered User
    edited May 2008

No he shouldn't. It'll be fine.

I like my women how I like my coffee.

Anally.
  • 143999143999 Duly appointed editor of the Tyrest AccordRegistered User regular
    edited May 2008

Sure, though I think it's a little silly.

Neither of those are dealbreakers, but both would fall under an "interesting little plot tidbits which aren't seen in preview materials" clause.

4Bpocis.png
  • manaleak34manaleak34 Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    Oh man I just saw it this morning and it is so good.

The movie is top-notch from beginning to end and never any part where you feel a little bad for watching like other Superhero movies.

And the scene after the credits made me as giddy as a schoolgirl.

XBL/Steam:ManaCrevice
  • The Muffin ManThe Muffin Man Registered User regular
    edited May 2008

Spoiler:
    Spoiler:

shamanhealingwave.jpgabilitypaladinshieldofv.png
    edited May 2008

Spoiler:
    Spoiler:
    Spoiler:

newsigs.jpg
    edited May 2008
    Yeah, in retrospect, the problem is that these two jokes scenes were a bit forced (in my mind) and required Paltrow to act a little differently to sell the humor. Frankly, I think the first one would have been cut if it wasn't integral to the plot.

edited May 2008
    i really liked the first one. it made sense to me and i thought it was a nice little bit that showed how both potts and tony function together.

newsigs.jpg
    edited May 2008
    the second one seemed to want to set up "these guys are hardcore" while she was assuming "man these guys got supertech like tony does"

edited May 2008
    yeah, i agree.
    Spoiler:

newsigs.jpg
  • McClyMcCly Registered User
    edited May 2008
    Holy shit, the movie was FANTASTIC. With the exception of the
    Spoiler:
    I could not find one thing wrong with it. WAY better than Batman Begins, despite what my friend argues.
    Spoiler:

kbellchewiesig.jpg
    edited May 2008
    the second one seemed to want to set up "these guys are hardcore" while she was assuming "man these guys got supertech like tony does"

Yeah, it was weird that they only had a tiny door-opening bomb and normal guns, though I suppose they were operating under really short notice.