As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Edge didn't like it very much...

Mr ED209Mr ED209 Registered User new member
edited May 2008 in Penny Arcade Games
So it's got 4/10 in the UK's Edge magazine. No reference whatsoever to Ron Gilbert's involvement and mostly they didn't like the 'hit Space bar to block' mechanic, saying it rendered all the battles as trial and error experiences until you worked out the right time to block, rinse and repeat.

/cancels pre-order lol

Mr ED209 on

• Options
    PhanmanPhanman Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    Don't most games have buttons/keys to press to do things in the game?

I guess Edge isn't fond of RPG style games. I imagine the game will play just fine.

Phanman on
    Wii Code: 6596 9931 4190 2980
  • Options
    Robert KhooRobert Khoo Registered User, ClubPA staff
    edited May 2008
    What's really interesting about the Edge review, which we just heard about yesterday as well, btw - is that we never gave them a review copy of the game.

Robert Khoo on
    Some guy.
  • Options
    Ross MillsRoss Mills Mr. California, USARegistered User regular
    edited May 2008
    What's really interesting about the Edge review, which we just heard about yesterday as well, btw - is that we never gave them a review copy of the game.

1. Make official statement?
    2. Slate Edge publicly?
    3. ???
    4. Profit!!!

Please note: 3 is probably "release game"

Ross Mills on
    twitter-a.png
  • Options
    edited May 2008
    Do they HAVE to be given a copy by you in order to review it? No other outlets or sources for getting hold of it?

Mr ED209 on
  • Options
    OatsOats Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    A leak would seem to be the only other way...

Oats on
  • Options
    edited May 2008
    Is that typically how established and respected games magazines get hold of review code? I wonder when they got it, given the lead time of most magazines.

Mr ED209 on
  • Options
    edited May 2008
    Anyway, Edge gave Halo 3 a 10 so it's possible they're wrong about the PA game too, eh?

Mr ED209 on
  • Options
    TofystedethTofystedeth Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    I can't find either review on either website.
    I thought maybe it doesn't show subscriber only articles, but it did show me some I couldn't access.

Tofystedeth on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    XaquinXaquin Right behind you!Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    Anyone got a copy of the review we can lambast?

Xaquin on
  • Options
    KelduumKelduum Registered User new member
    edited May 2008
    (My first post here!)

I wouldnt worry about EDGEs scores that much - they are sometimes rather random.

They have been running since... oh... forever, and while they are the only print magazine whos reviews I really trust (I've been reading since Issue 0), they look more for things pushing technical bounds and things nobody has done before (Halo 3's online features and level of integration for example), rather than if it is fun or not.

Obviously, like anything Penny-Arcade related, and as Gabe said in his newspost (hi Gabe!), the humor here is more of an aquired taste than most. I fully expect the game to be rather good, even after the review.

Anyway, my copy arrived today, so unless someone has a scanner and a copy, I'll type up the review (its quite short) in a bit.

Kelduum on
  • Options
    ASimPersonASimPerson Cold... and hard.Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    They certainly didn't get it before it went gold, then.

Weird.

ASimPerson on
  • Options
    KelduumKelduum Registered User new member
    edited May 2008
    Ok, heres the text from the EDGE Review (any spelling/typo errors should be assumed as being mine!).
    Penny Arcade Adventures: Episode One
    Format: PC
    Release: Out Now
    Publisher: Greenhouse
    Developer: Hothead

Long-running web comic Penny Arcade has argubly become as much as the gaming repoprtage furniture was many of the larger news and review sites, and as an illustration of how much game fans can achieve when they really throw themselves at it. Publishes clamour for coverage in the three-panel strips, while a loyal audiance salivates over whether big titles will be on the receiving end of gurgling praise or piercing barbs. While you'd hope that years of assembling comics around nuiggets of gaming criticism would have given the team of writer Jerry Holkins and artist Mike Krahulik a keen eye for potential development pratfalls, the first episode of a series that extends its title to On The Rain-Slick Precipice Of Darkness is a game that, were it not their own, the pair would no doubt mercylessly deconstriuct and ridicule.

The game is set ina newly crafted steampunk universe - perhaps a consious effort to avoid alienating those not completely au fait with a decade of in-jokes - and populated by the comic's extended cast of characters. While there's the odd cursory fetch-quest thrown in, the thrust of the game is a seemingly endless series of simplistic, JRPG-inspired active time battles. The twists is that in addition to the more standard attack, item and summon management, there is the opportunity to perform a timing-based block to counter any incoming attack. Hit the spacebar at the right point during the lengthy wind-up animation and you'll block the assault, with a counter-move thrown in if you're pictosecond perfect.

Sadly, the addition of this seemingly innocuous layer to the battle mechanic conspires to diminish the experience. Confrontations swiftly become decided solely on the basis of blocking the majority of attacks as enemies become increasingly overpowered relative to the steadily leveling protagonists. Worse, because each move has its own, totally arbitary window of opportunity, even Final Fantasy veterans, seasoned in the art of ATB, will face the unintentiaonally mocking 'Do you wish to continut?' screen over and over again as they attempt to identify and then consistently repeat the manoeuvre. It all bears the unpleasant aroma of a thousand punishing trial-and-error minigames, and serves to negate any depth and complexity that the battles may have mastered alone. Even if there was a varied geography to explore and a variety of tasks to perform this would be a glaring, galling oversight, but with only three discrete areas and missions that are unanimously combat led, it's a big problem.

No doubt the Penny Arcade faithful will find reason to wade through to a predictably torturous and unsatisfying conclusion, but with the episodic development cycle all but demanding that structure and form be locked down in the first installment, with content added thereafter, the series' future looks precarious at best. No amount of glossy hand-drawn artwork or humorous dialogue is going to heal the problem at the root of this experience.

Boxout: 2D or not 2D
    One of the better aspects of Episode One is the character creation tool, which generates your hero not only in three dimentions but also in two, for cutscenes and dialogue breaks. The selection of features and headware is limited, particularly for female characters, but having the final result rendered in the distinctive style of Krahulik's pen-work will be one of the few thrills on offer for fans devoted enough to pick this up. On completion, the game prompts you to create a save file that will allow you to carry your characters through the series, should you wish to expose them to further abuse.

Captions:
    • Whereas Final Fantasy has vast areas to explore as a balance to the repetative battles, Penny Arcade bosts no such luxury, with only three modestly sized levels in which the action plays out.
    • The animation is characterful and fitting for the art style throughout, though attack sequences quickly become a tiresome symbol of the poorly managed blocking moves.
    • The dialogue is reasonably well written, if heavy on profanity and scalogical humour. Without the aid of the site's selectively italicised blog posts, some of the comic's running gags will no doubt be lost on newcomers.

[4]

Oh, and for the record, Eurogamer and PA are the other two sources I really trust...

Kelduum on
  • Options
    HH VladHH Vlad Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    Mr ED209 wrote: »
    Is that typically how established and respected games magazines get hold of review code? I wonder when they got it, given the lead time of most magazines.

I think I am going to jump in on this one--in short, no it is not. End stop.

However, I was particularly upset on how all this went down so if you want to know more, here you go:

Before the launch of a game, especially a PC game, any developer that wants to stay in business is going to by hyper sensitive about any code going out. Hothead sent out specially built and coded versions for each person and publication that was going to look at the game--it was a short list. The reviewers name and the publication name is in that code. They are not free to pass it along which would breach any semblance of professionalism. To be truthful, had it been a high score, I probably would not have lost as much sleep as I did last night thinking that somehow a leak had occurred. Because of the time difference, I was able to discover this morning that it was in fact the same reviewer.

To be absolutely clear, we sent that code to that reviewer explicitly for PC Format. Edge asked us for a review copy and we denied them which makes this all the more curious. We said no because 1) we were slammed getting the game done and had already sent out the copies we were going to send, and 2) I believe Edge's audience has more of a console focus and we wanted to get them a Xbox version--especially since the Xbox version had a ton more polish and love at that given time because we had a huge lead time to go through the Microsoft process. Again, another reason we were very careful how many people and who got to look at the PC version at that time.

Once a game is released, we can't control who gets the game or if they are going to do a review but it is generally accepted in the industry that pre-release, a publisher does have the right of control--not of what the reviewers are going to say but in who sees it and what magazines or websites get coverage and when the coverage hits. The game did not go Gold until yesterday so essentially, they did a review on code from March. If Edge was so hell-bent on covering the game, they could have talked to us again telling us their intention and we could have sent them updated code which may or may not have affected their opinions but at least Hothead would have been able to put our best efforts forward. The fact of the matter is that if Hothead had the advertising clout of an EA or Ubisoft, the score may or may not be different but Future Publishing would not have treated us in this manner.

HH Vlad on
  • Options
    XaquinXaquin Right behind you!Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    hmmmm

Only 3 levels really?

I wonder how big they are .... It seems like Edge may be making mountains out of mole hills.

I'd like to read the other review that's out.

Thanks for typing that up =)

Xaquin on
  • Options
    Wraith260Wraith260 Happiest Goomba! Registered User regular
    edited May 2008

you'd be amazed at the number of people that don't give them reviews copies, and while this particular game is obviously different, it's rarely stopped them from accessing review copies. most of the content contributed to the magazine is done so by those who work for other magazines/web sites. its dedicated staff is actually quite small(or at least that has always been my understanding). so its possible that they got their copy/review from someone reviewing it for another mag/site.

Wraith260 on
  • Options
    poshnialloposhniallo Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    I'm not going to dismiss the review, as Edge is the only review source I actually trust at all. It is worrying, but I love PA enough that I might disagree. I mean, there are plenty of Edge 10s that I don't own, so I think there's room for me to like a game that they don't rate.

poshniallo on
    I figure I could take a bear.
  • Options
    RookRook Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    Should have become a backspace columnist for edge. That way you'd guarantee yourself an 8/10 score.

Rook on
  • Options
    Diluted DanteDiluted Dante Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    Rook wrote: »
    Should have become a backspace columnist for edge. That way you'd guarantee yourself an 8/10 score.

Not a Space Giraffe fan I take it?

I think the reason that you are so bothered about it is not so much the score itself, but the fact that they reviewed it without permission. It appears not to be good form, but at the end of the day EDGE have fallen out with people before, and still got hold of games to review. I am though somewhat bemused as to why you gave OXM a copy, and denied EDGE on the basis of them having a console audience. Also, how different is the March code from the Gold disc? Significant enough change the review text?

As far as EDGE not liking RPG games goes, Crisis Core got a 6 in the same issue, so make of that what you will.

On to the actual score, if you have never read EDGE, you will have completely the wrong impression from the score. 4 is not as bad as you are thinking. It actually works out to roughly the same score as the 68% PC Format gave. Many publications give 7, or 7.5 as the 'average' mark (depending on scoring systems), whereas EDGE put that at 5. A game getting a 4 is seen as being below average, and often scores much higher elsewhere, but they effectively receive the same score.

For the record, here are some other EDGE 4's with game rankings scores:

Alien Vs Predator (73.8%)
    In Cold Blood (69.3%)
    Parasite Eve 2 ( 79%)
    Primal (76.8%)
    Yoshi's Universal Gravitation (60.7%)

Should you wish to amuse yourself, you can visit the EDGE score database here, though it is somewhat out of date going up to I think E166.

Diluted Dante on
    -Dante
  • Options
    ÆthelredÆthelred Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    HH Vlad wrote:
    To be absolutely clear, we sent that code to that reviewer explicitly for PC Format.

[..]

The game did not go Gold until yesterday so essentially, they [Edge] did a review on code from March.

[..]

If Edge was so hell-bent on covering the game, they could have talked to us again telling us their intention and we could have sent them updated code which may or may not have affected their opinions but at least Hothead would have been able to put our best efforts forward.

Doesn't that imply you didn't put your best effort forward for the PC Format review..?
    On to the actual score, if you have never read EDGE, you will have completely the wrong impression from the score. 4 is not as bad as you are thinking. It actually works out to roughly the same score as the 68% PC Format gave. Many publications give 7, or 7.5 as the 'average' mark (depending on scoring systems), whereas EDGE put that at 5.

Someone should point that out to Gabe:
    Gabe wrote:
    The same reviewer who gave us the 4 in Edge gave us a 68% in a different UK magazine. regardless of which number you want to believe I think it's clear he wasn't a fan of the game.

Æthelred on
    pokes: 1505 8032 8399
  • Options
    edited May 2008
    Doesn't that imply you didn't put your best effort forward for the PC Format review..?

That is the whole point--no, we did not. We put the best of what we had at the time. But with long lead times of magazines, you don't always have that option. Magazines have different lead times as well. This is why we went with a couple of publications in the US and a couple in the UK. One was Xbox and the rest were PC. We wanted to do more Xbox but all our focus was just getting the game through Microsoft certification which is a ton of work. When you are in the thick of it, fixing bugs and creating new bugs by fixing bugs, it is a very chaotic process--it is not easy to just start sending out builds left right and center. Instead, we put our head down to get the game done as soon as possible for the fans and once through that process, send out the Gold build for all the rest of the reviews. There were a lot of other publications that asked for a build as well and we asked them to wait--they did.

HH Vlad on
  • Options
    edited May 2008
    HH Vlad wrote: »

That is the whole point--no, we did not. We put the best of what we had at the time. But with long lead times of magazines, you don't always have that option. Magazines have different lead times as well. This is why we went with a couple of publications in the US and a couple in the UK. One was Xbox and the rest were PC. We wanted to do more Xbox but all our focus was just getting the game through Microsoft certification which is a ton of work. When you are in the thick of it, fixing bugs and creating new bugs by fixing bugs, it is a very chaotic process--it is not easy to just start sending out builds left right and center. Instead, we put our head down to get the game done as soon as possible for the fans and once through that process, send out the Gold build for all the rest of the reviews. There were a lot of other publications that asked for a build as well and we asked them to wait--they did.

i could see why you'd be so upset if the Edge review slated that game over bugs there were unlikely to be present in the release version(or at least the XBL Version). but the only real problem with the game pointed out in both the Edge and PC Format review(s) was to do with the blocking system. something that is apparently a huge aspect of the game(at this point i only have those reviews to go by, and am eager to find out for myself).

i think we can all agree that there are many flaws in the way that games are previewed and reviewed. however, isn't it also possible that the game is also flawed in its own way? that perhaps it didn't turn out at well as it could have(as well as we'd all hoped)? again, i'm only speculating on the back of a review(or two, depending on how you look at it), and am still intend to buy the game as soon as possible, but is this issue as big as we're all making it out to be? i can't really begin to imagine what its like to have your work/creation ripped apart like this(if thats truly what you feel has happened), but i do think its something that might benefit from some time, some reflection, and perhaps a more open dialogue between those of you at Penny Arcade/HotHead and those at Edge.

Wraith260 on
  • Options
    edited May 2008
    Wraith260 wrote: »

i could see why you'd be so upset if the Edge review slated that game over bugs there were unlikely to be present in the release version(or at least the XBL Version). but the only real problem with the game pointed out in both the Edge and PC Format review(s) was to do with the blocking system. something that is apparently a huge aspect of the game(at this point i only have those reviews to go by, and am eager to find out for myself).

I can't say if it would have changed that particular reviewers mind but I will give you two guesses of what we worked on in a very focused way for the final month? People will be totally free to judge for themselves whether the system works for them, especially with the final changes and tuning. There will be a demo for all platforms so they can do that judging at no cost whatsoever.
    however, isn't it also possible that the game is also flawed in its own way? that perhaps it didn't turn out at well as it could have(as well as we'd all hoped)? again, i'm only speculating on the back of a review(or two, depending on how you look at it), and am still intend to buy the game as soon as possible, but is this issue as big as we're all making it out to be? i can't really begin to imagine what its like to have your work/creation ripped apart like this(if thats truly what you feel has happened), but i do think its something that might benefit from some time, some reflection, and perhaps a more open dialogue between those of you at Penny Arcade/HotHead and those at Edge.

I would never presume to say that the game has no flaws--it is a rare game, movie, book (pick your entertainment) that does not. You can also ask the team and they would be the first to say that I am very honest and forward when it comes to pointing out that something is wrong or flawed . . . perhaps too forward and too honest. I can say that I am very proud of what we have accomplished and my belief is that some people are going to hate it and some are going to feel as if it were made just for them and they are going to love it as a result.

It is probably not as big an issue and probably not worthy of me writing more posts but while the score is disappointing, it is truly the manner in which it occurred that upsets me. I love Edge. Heck I used to collect it and until we started Hothead, I had a subscription. I have even visited them in Bath at their offices and went for beers with some of the guys that worked there at the time. So for me personally, it is just . . . disappointing. The last game of mine they reviewed was Hulk: Ultimate Destruction and they gave it a 6 with a rather "we didn't like it" writeup. That game averages 85% on Gamerankings, was nominated for game of year by different publications and was listed by IGN as the best superhero game of all time. Edge's score was the lowest out of over 60 publications and I don't believe I wrote a post about it . . . .

HH Vlad on
  • Options
    edited May 2008
    i'm not trying to unfairly criticize the game before the before its release(or before i've had a chance to play it myself). and if it seems that way i apologize(not that anyone has accused me of such, but i do seem to be playing devil's advocate a tad here).

was the review harsh? well, we'll just have to wait and see, though since only a single flaw has been mentioned, it could be that they've blown it out of proportion. again we will just have to wait and see(and i'm guess we wont be waiting too much longer).

however, on a slight side note, i don't think the poor review was(entirely) down the the reviews dislike of Penny Arcade. certainly it doesn't suggest the out and out hatred usually expressed by those who aren't fans, though it neither does it betray the feeling of a rabid fan(as might be found round these parts). perhaps we've stumbled upon that rare person that hasn't given the comic enough time to have formed a strong opinion either way, and while noticing the main traits(the distinctive art/writing style), hasn't been overly offended/amused by either.

hell, at the very least it's given call to debate over the review practices of magazines and web sites and how those relate to the developers themselves. while its unlikely that any huge changes will come from it, at the very least it may allow those of us not involved in the industry an insight into how this aspect of the biz works.

Wraith260 on
  • Options
    edited May 2008
    The last game of mine they reviewed was Hulk: Ultimate Destruction and they gave it a 6 with a rather "we didn't like it" writeup. That game averages 85% on Gamerankings, was nominated for game of year by different publications and was listed by IGN as the best superhero game of all time. Edge's score was the lowest out of over 60 publications and I don't believe I wrote a post about it . . . .

To be expected though. Bioshock 8 and all that. Rather annoyingly, I don't have E153, so can't read the review, but I'm not a great fan of the game, and couldn't really disagree with the score. XBM UK and a couple of others also gave it a 6, which suggests they liked it less.

On the subject of the PA game though, would you say that the blocking system has improved greatly in the last month, to the point that the guy that wrote the review might change his mind? Also, you mentioned the 360 version being a lot more polished, due to having to jump through Microsofts hoops. Do you think that the 360 version is significantly better than the March PC code EDGE reviewed? If you absolutely honestly believe so, I'm willing to drop the points on day one.

Wraith, the review suggests that the blocking system is fundamentally flawed, and as it takes up such a big part of the game, although it's only one flaw, tying that into the lack of area's, and other things to do mean that it is game crippling. If thats the case, it certainly isn't being blown out of proportion. As things stand though, it looks like we'll be getting a far more tweaked system than the reviewer, so even if it's not perfect, it could drastically change how good the game is as a whole.

Diluted Dante on
    -Dante
  • Options
    edited May 2008
    Wraith, the review suggests that the blocking system is fundamentally flawed, and as it takes up such a big part of the game, although it's only one flaw, tying that into the lack of area's, and other things to do mean that it is game crippling. If thats the case, it certainly isn't being blown out of proportion. As things stand though, it looks like we'll be getting a far more tweaked system than the reviewer, so even if it's not perfect, it could drastically change how good the game is as a whole.

i've got my copy of PC Format here so i know whats said, and it certainly suggests that the majority of the game is spent in combat, mostly due to the blocking systems flaws. however, my last post was meant as an admition that until we play the game(or at least get some more reviews) we don't know just how bad it is.

i've said it bofe and will say it again, i still plan on buying the game as soon as possible, and if the blocking system is as poor as suggested then hopefully it'll be fixed by Ep.2.

Wraith260 on
  • Options
    Ross MillsRoss Mills Mr. California, USARegistered User regular
    edited May 2008
    I would never presume to say that the game has no flaws--it is a rare game, movie, book (pick your entertainment) that does not. You can also ask the team and they would be the first to say that I am very honest and forward when it comes to pointing out that something is wrong or flawed . . . perhaps too forward and too honest. I can say that I am very proud of what we have accomplished and my belief is that some people are going to hate it and some are going to feel as if it were made just for them and they are going to love it as a result.

Depending on the reception of this game, would you be prepared to delay Episode 2 in order to fix any perceived issues? Would you even be prepared to go as far back as the proverbial drawing board for the 2nd game?

Ross Mills on
    twitter-a.png
  • Options
    edited May 2008
    Ross Mills wrote: »
    Depending on the reception of this game, would you be prepared to delay Episode 2 in order to fix any perceived issues? Would you even be prepared to go as far back as the proverbial drawing board for the 2nd game?

We delayed episode one to make sure it was a great experience for the PA fan so I think we have already shown what we are willing to do to make sure fans are satisfied. Having said that, I am done with this thread until post ship and once you guys have had a chance to judge for yourselves. Talk to you soon--got to get back to work and make final preparations so that can happen.

HH Vlad on
  • Options
    edited May 2008
    On the subject of the PA game though, would you say that the blocking system has improved greatly in the last month, to the point that the guy that wrote the review might change his mind? Also, you mentioned the 360 version being a lot more polished, due to having to jump through Microsofts hoops. Do you think that the 360 version is significantly better than the March PC code EDGE reviewed? If you absolutely honestly believe so, I'm willing to drop the points on day one.

Sorry Dante, missed your post before writing my last. The key is that blocking is essential to the combat system--it is not optional. If you don't block at all, you could conceivably finish the game but it would definitely be a long slog. I believe the changes we made make all the difference but you will have to learn how to fight each enemy. The 360 version was most definitely better than the March PC code on many fronts besides just the blocking aspect of combat and those changes subsequently made their way back into all the PC versions just recently ie. not in any PC code that I recall that we sent to any PC reviewers.

I will come back the week of launch to see what you guys think about this issue and any others. Looking forward to it.

HH Vlad on
  • Options
    VThornheartVThornheart Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    Don't take it too personally if possible. I know you guys have worked your tails off on this thing, and everything we've seen come out for it looks good so far. I don't think you have anything to fear.

VThornheart on
    3DS Friend Code: 1950-8938-9095
  • Options
    edited May 2008
    Sorry Dante, missed your post before writing my last. The key is that blocking is essential to the combat system--it is not optional. If you don't block at all, you could conceivably finish the game but it would definitely be a long slog. I believe the changes we made make all the difference but you will have to learn how to fight each enemy.

I suppose the key here will be how quickly you can learn. One of the points in the review was continual deaths due to to missing the blocks. I don't mind dying if it's my fault, but there is nothing worse than a dying because of a poorly designed game.

Some people enjoy the whole having to face the boss 18 times before you can vaguely stand a chance of defeating him. I'm not one of them. I like to be able figure out fights on the fly, and if I die due to not having done so, then it doesn't bother me. So your comments are encouraging, and I look forward to the game.

Diluted Dante on
    -Dante
  • Options
    noir_bloodnoir_blood Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    I gotta say that I was a bit dissapointed in Gabe's post about the whole matter. He makes it seem as if Edge gave the game a 4 based on the fact they just didn't 'get' PA, alluding that it was either the humor, character, or plot that prompted that score.

To be fair, the review itself isnt' the most informative either, with the guy seemingly obsessed about the horrors of pressing the space bar over and over again, but he does say the game is humorous, so he liked(or tolerated that part).

I dunno, I guess Gabe's post just gave off the whole "you just don't get it" vibe. At least to me.

noir_blood on
  • Options
    RitchmeisterRitchmeister Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    Edge probably give the harshest reviews in the industry, but they also tend to be the most accurate and as has already been said they give 5 as an average not the 75% average you see from most publications and websites.

However unless their system has changed since I stopped reading, all their reviews are anonymous. So did you have to phone them up and ask them who reviewed it?

Ritchmeister on
  • Options
    PatboyXPatboyX Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    noir_blood wrote: »
    I gotta say that I was a bit dissapointed in Gabe's post about the whole matter. He makes it seem as if Edge gave the game a 4 based on the fact they just didn't 'get' PA, alluding that it was either the humor, character, or plot that prompted that score.

To be fair, the review itself isnt' the most informative either, with the guy seemingly obsessed about the horrors of pressing the space bar over and over again, but he does say the game is humorous, so he liked(or tolerated that part).

I dunno, I guess Gabe's post just gave off the whole "you just don't get it" vibe. At least to me.

They could just write "It's not for you!" in the blurb.

I actually don't think it is that big a deal either way. I read what he wrote more like: Reviews vary on the majority of the work they produce. This is true in regards to the game and it will probably work out in the same way that it has on the comic, the books, etc.

PatboyX on
    "lenny bruce is not afraid..."
    brush1rt1.jpg
  • Options
    Craymen EdgeCraymen Edge Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    noir_blood wrote: »

With respect, if you think that then I think you misread it. He said that people either love or hate Penny Arcade, and that he thinks the scores seen so far show the same thing will happen to the game.
    I guess I should be upset about the 4 but I really can't blame someone for not liking what we make. I'm happy about the 8.5 as personally I pegged the game at a solid 8. The same reviewer who gave us the 4 in Edge gave us a 68% in a different UK magazine. regardless of which number you want to believe I think it's clear he wasn't a fan of the game.
    Seems to me to be a pretty sensible acceptance that not everyone likes what you do.

Craymen Edge on
    Great! He is an uncanny fellow!
  • Options
    RyadicRyadic Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    Vlad, in the end you just gotta realize that reviews mean nothing. I don't care what a reviewer says about a game, I make my own opinions. A lot of reviewers complained about Assassin's Creed, and I love the game. I didn't read all the posts, but it seems to me that the review EDGE gave the game is kind of disheartening for HH, which I can understand. But when it's all said and done, it only matters what the fans of PA think, because that's who the game is made for. This isn't a Final Fantasy game where it's marketed towards anyone that owns a Playstation system. It's made for fans that will get the various inside jokes that I'm sure are in there.

If you're proud of how the final product turned out, then you should be happy.

Ryadic on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    BlindZenDriverBlindZenDriver Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    <SNIP>Once a game is released, we can't control who gets the game or if they are going to do a review but it is generally accepted in the industry that pre-release, a publisher does have the right of control--not of what the reviewers are going to say but in who sees it and what magazines or websites get coverage and when the coverage hits. The game did not go Gold until yesterday so essentially, they did a review on code from March. If Edge was so hell-bent on covering the game, they could have talked to us again telling us their intention and we could have sent them updated code which may or may not have affected their opinions but at least Hothead would have been able to put our best efforts forward. The fact of the matter is that if Hothead had the advertising clout of an EA or Ubisoft, the score may or may not be different but Future Publishing would not have treated us in this manner.

Being a long time fan of both PA and EDGE I am a bit torn in this matter.

I read the review during the weekend as I'm a subscriber and was actually gonna start an thread about it had Mr ED209 not done it.

While I do think it's in a way unfair to print a review of a pre-release version on the other hand it's hardly the magazine which is at fault but rather the reviewer - after all information needs to be free. What bugs me a little is knowing the review is based on a pre-gold version without the review stating that fact.

What bugs me a hell of lot more is that a pre-release version was release for reviews in the first place. I think it stinks and it stinks even more when the pre-release state is brought up as part of response to an less than favorable review. I really though PA was beyond commercial moves like that :!:

Tell us what use is it knowing the review copy was a pre-release:?:

Without a list of things changed between that version and the gold one we can't use that info for making a call on how valid or not the review is. The pre-release version could have had major tweaks coming or it could be localization of the installer and other none-gaming work missing. We need facts otherwise the pre-release thing is just a bad excuse.

Oh and the whole conspiracy theory on how the score may or may not have been different had it been EA or UBISOFT behind the game is a low blow. It may ring true for a lot of media but I have never seen a score in EDGE which seem like they were sucking up or something. Future Publishing is NOT like FOX or CNET:evil:

I am still a PA fan and an EDGE fan. However I must say that I did lose some of my love for PA today. I can not help wonder and fear if PA is becoming so big a business that it is starting to change into what is wrong with the industry rather than being the gamers voice. Maybe it is just a reflex defense reaction to the bad review but putting out the pre-release version in the first place was wrong and making accusations towards EDGE just looks sad!

BlindZenDriver on
    Bones heal, glory is forever.
  • Options
    El GuacoEl Guaco Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    If everything said so far is true, Edge's review should be considered questionable at best. Whether they are "right" in their opinion, they had a pre-release version that may not reflect the published game. 2nd, they sacrificed their editorial integrity to do so by pirating unpublished software! Can you imagine if they had pulled the same kind of stunt with Halo 3? Microsoft would have so many lawyers up their asses in no time. Hothead seems to be playing it kinda cool...

El Guaco on
  • Options
    strike_the_tripstrike_the_trip Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    My first thought: Anyone who's ever played an RPG knows that battles take up the substantial portion of the game and why is that considered a bad thing?

And then: Phew, for a second I thought it was a publication that actually mattered!

strike_the_trip on
  • Options
    DrezDrez Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    I feel alone in this thread, but I never liked Edge very much and still don't.

edit: That said, I don't necessarily agree with the philosophy that reviews should be controlled in any manner. Having written them for years (for online publications), that kind of philosophy makes me very uneasy.

The problem, though, primarily lies with how broken the gaming market is, and all the relationships that exist within between reviewers, publishers, PR, developers, editors, advertisers and so on. Sometimes you feel like you have to walk on eggshells even to get review code. I'm not suggesting that a publisher/developer actually OWES anyone pre-release code to review, but I think the whole point of review is that no one but the reviewer controls anything. Granted that opinion takes a blind eye to the concerns Vlad has put forth, concerns which are valid and exist with other publishers, but...ultimately I don't think anyone has a right to "control" what, and most importantly who, can review what.

edit 2: I'm confused. Did they actually steal/borrow this code from someone else?

Drez on
    Switch: SW-7690-2320-9238Steam/PSN/Xbox: Drezdar
  • Options
    edited May 2008
    What bugs me a hell of lot more is that a pre-release version was release for reviews in the first place . . . . I really though PA was beyond commercial moves like that :!:

Would like to remain quiet and just put my head down and get back to shipping the game but I have to respond on a few points.

Hothead owns this entirely. We are the developer and publisher. Our job is to commercialize the game so that we can continue making more of them. Don't blame PA about this as it was our responsibility and more specifically, my responsibility which is why I was all the more pissed on how it went down. We should never have sent out the code to Future in the first place. We are an indie developer and publisher, not some giant machine but we still have to interact with how business gets done in this industry.
    Maybe it is just a reflex defense reaction to the bad review but putting out the pre-release version in the first place was wrong and making accusations towards EDGE just looks sad!

I am human and given that what happened is unprecedented in my 10+ year career, I think I had a right to be pissed. This sort of crap never happened when I worked as part of a major publisher with big ad dollars and a huge PR firm behind us. Now that I have calmed down, I am going to chalk it up as rushed deadline/miscommunication on Edge's part and move on. We are not called Hothead for nothing . . . .

As far as releasing pre-release versions, because we are digital and there is a long, long press lead time, we have been in a bit of a bind. Usually with retail based games, you have a ton of time after going Gold to when the manufacturing is complete until the game actually hits the shelves. That time delta helps coincide with the magazine lead times to help games that get reviewed are very close to if not final versions. With Xbox, as I explain in previous posts, we essentially had that delta because of their process but not with PC. We don't have that long of a lead time between going Gold and launching. We really want the game to be a success because of many reasons. Yes, Hothead wants to make money to pay back the time, sweat and money that we poured into this game series. No, Hothead does not have a ton of cash for marketing hence the need and desire to get some PR coverage to help get the word out that the game exists and is about to ship. We did not go crazy despite widespread interest--I believe we had one Xbox and one PC review in the US and three PC (official) ones in the UK. You will notice we refrained from doing any online reviews whatsoever to ensure what they received was absolut Gold. We are having a lot of fun working on these games and we want to keep doing it. If you want to be pissed, aim the blame at me, not PA.

HH Vlad on