As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Teh Monies and the acquiring thereof.

Double_FacesDouble_Faces Registered User regular
edited May 2008 in Help / Advice Forum
So I'm in a shifting point in my life. Double_Faces needs damn money. I've just graduated College with a BFA in Dramatic Performance and I'll be headed out to LA. My mother was amazing enough to spot the first months rent, but I need to have June ready and due to circumstances I need to come up with 400 bucks in about two weeks. Problem is this, I won't be home or in my new place in LA long enough to get hired and make that much cashola.

I've resigned to the fact that I have to sell either my macbook or my Desktop to get the cash quickly (or God intervenes and gives me an acting job here in Cincinnati- I can make that money on one job with my agent) so my question is two- fold.

Any suggestions on savings/ quick jobs/ etc?

Should I keep my macbook (700 bucks) or my dekstop (500ish) which will become the media center of my LA place.

I love you.

SSBB Code: 0258 9993 5495
Double_Faces on

• Options
    ErandusErandus Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    We have a place here where you can sell plasma - sorta like donating blood, but they pay you for it. You can donate twice a week at 25 bucks a pop. That would reduce your target $ amount by 100 bucks, and when you NEED money, every few bucks thrown at you can be a lifesaver.

Beyond that, getting a normal-ish job won't be of huge help to you as you generally don't get paid right off the bat/for a week or two. As a temporary fix, try wait-staffing for a restaraunt. You'll earn a truckload in tips that should easily add up to the money you need before the deadline, and thats a job you can drop without feeling bad.

Erandus on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    precisionkprecisionk Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    You can start donating plasma. Can add up if you go a few times a week.

Garage sale of other items?

Check craigslist gigs to see any jobs for moving people or something that can make quick cash.

precisionk on
  • Options
    edited May 2008
    Unfortunately, I can't give plasma... something about them hating that I had Hepatitis A when I was 8...

Picky bastards.

Double_Faces on
  • Options
    TL DRTL DR Not at all confident in his reflexive opinions of thingsRegistered User regular
    edited May 2008
    If you don't mind hard work, I know a landscaping company about 25 minutes from Cinci that's hiring.

TL DR on
  • Options
    tardcoretardcore Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    Offer to mow some lawns. Some side work people don't want to deal with. In the end, you could make a pretty good 100 bucks for a couple of jobs.

tardcore on
  • Options
    AridholAridhol Daddliest Catch Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    Some people do day labour here (paid in cash each day) and it can really add up. See if there is a place like that where they just need muscle.

Aridhol on
  • Options
    noobertnoobert Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    Temp places. They hire fast, get you out there fast and don't expect too much from you.
    If you reckon you can handle a few days/weeks doing construction/production line work go for it. Shits normally reasonable physical labour, but you can take as few or as many shifts as you need.

noobert on
  • Options
    useless4useless4 Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    Do something like Kelly's Services - temp job in an office filling out Excel worksheets or answering phones. I think I remember being paid weekly when I did it.

useless4 on
  • Options
    honkymcgoohonkymcgoo Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    Selling on craigslist is your safest bet,but it can suck hardcore because people will always offer you some bullshit amount and haggle with you. But its still better than alternatives. Try looking for temp work, you would be surprised how many people will give you 50 bucks to rake a yard etc. Manual labor can pay pretty well.

honkymcgoo on
    I didn't even know what the fuck and avitar was until about 5 minutes ago.
  • Options
    ImprovoloneImprovolone Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    Pertinant but not on topic; do you already have an agent out there? Are your monologues, headshots, and resume, and reel in order?

Improvolone on
    Voice actor for hire. My time is free if your project is!
  • Options
    SarcastroSarcastro Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    I used to love temping, showing up, doing a day's worth of whatever. Paid either that day or at the end of the week. You're only busy when you want to be, and for the most part it's light, easy labour.

Sarcastro on
  • Options
    edited May 2008
    Pertinant but not on topic; do you already have an agent out there? Are your monologues, headshots, and resume, and reel in order?

I do not have an agent, but everything else you said is ready to go, yes.

Double_Faces on
  • Options
    ImprovoloneImprovolone Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    You should have some interviews with agents lined up before you even get out there. It's going to make things easier. Plus, being able to say "I'll be in town blahblah4th - blahblah12th" puts you in a more desirable position than "I live here and want to seeee yoooou"

Also, do you mind sending my your resume? I love looking ast actors resumes. The formatting CAN be interesting, so I want to know what others are doing.

Improvolone on
    Voice actor for hire. My time is free if your project is!
  • Options
    edited May 2008
    You should have some interviews with agents lined up before you even get out there. It's going to make things easier. Plus, being able to say "I'll be in town blahblah4th - blahblah12th" puts you in a more desirable position than "I live here and want to seeee yoooou"

Also, do you mind sending my your resume? I love looking ast actors resumes. The formatting CAN be interesting, so I want to know what others are doing.

I've already been to one, with one casting director meeting scheduled and one Commercial Agent scheduled as well. Send me a private message if you wanna see my resume..

...and specify if you want LA or NY style :)

Double_Faces on