As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Will it ever come to PSN?

FantusFantus Registered User regular
edited May 2008 in Penny Arcade Games
I know this game is slated to be on Live, Windows, Mac, and Linux. But what about PSN?

I'm sure this question has been asked before, but i'm not clear on the answer. I did see one article where it was stated that the game runs on Torque, and therefore cannot run on PS3. I'm not sure if this is entirely accurate, because there are other games built on Torque that ARE on PSN. Rocketmen for example.

http://www.garagegames.com/mg/snapshot/view.php?qid=1591

Anyone else have any insight into if this game will ever be on PSN? And if not, why not?

Fantus on

• Options
    Robert KhooRobert Khoo Registered User, ClubPA staff
    edited May 2008
    Rocketmen was an internal port by Capcom (so their developers did all of the code work to get it to run on the PS3), and sadly that means Torque as an engine doesn't really run on the PS3 since Capcom's not going to share any of that work. But hey, I never say never to anything.

Robert Khoo on
    Some guy.
  • Options
    HH VladHH Vlad Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    Rocketmen was an internal port by Capcom (so their developers did all of the code work to get it to run on the PS3), and sadly that means Torque as an engine doesn't really run on the PS3 since Capcom's not going to share any of that work. But hey, I never say never to anything.

You can tell the game is done because I have time to actually write something so I apologize for the lengthy details of my recent posts ahead of time . . .

I have seen different posts on other sites and even on this one that say something like "Hey, they use Torque so putting it on all the platforms is easy."

Well, we love the guys at GarageGames but it is not really like that. An engine is a starting point--it does not do everything for you unless you are doing some really basic games. In fact, when we started this game almost two years ago, GarageGames was in the middle of changing their Torque engine so we took their stable 1.5 version. And then we grafted everything we needed to make the game we wanted into that version and extended the engine to do many of the things we needed it to do. For example, we have our own shader infrastructure and do not use their TGEA with associated enhancements (I believe they changed the name to something else recently). We built in support for the game to support the Collada format for our art pipeline and then wrote our own custom DTS format. I could go on and on. Our engine is built using Torque technology but it took a lot of work for it to do what we wanted to make the game that we wanted.

When it came to the Xbox, yes, Torque runs on the Xbox but when we needed their new engine they were right in the middle of launching their new Instant Action service and their Xbox engine was undergoing a major rewrite. Originally we were going to wait for that new engine since the old one had shipped the original Marble Blast and was not appropriate for our title. However, we decided to postpone launching on PC and simship with the Xbox which meant we had to put a ton of focus on getting the Xbox done so we used what they had working in their new engine as a frame of reference and built our own Xbox engine into the original Torque 1.5 codebase that we had been modifying for close to 2 years. So the game is shipping on a new Xbox engine built on the Torque technology and if we are going to ship on PS3, we would have to do the same thing. Although GarageGames is no doubt working on a PS3 version, the codebase would be so divergent from where we are today that porting it to the PS3 would be equivalent of us writing our own PS3 engine into our current Torque codebase. We have a bull pen of great programmers that are capable of doing exactly that and when we have time for a collective breath, that is exactly what we are going to look into next. But until then, no announcements and no promises.

HH Vlad on
  • Options
    LegacyLegacy Stuck Somewhere In Cyberspace The Grid(Seattle)Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited May 2008
    So...it is coming out on XBL at the same time as the PC version? Some sites said the XBL version would be later.

Legacy on
    Can we get the chemicals in. 'Cause anything's better than this.
  • Options
    Robert KhooRobert Khoo Registered User, ClubPA staff
    edited May 2008
    Nope - the XBLA and PC versions will come out at the same time.

Robert Khoo on
    Some guy.
  • Options
    watson_twenty5watson_twenty5 Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    Glad I checked the other pages of the forum. I was going to post inquiring about the possibility of a PS3 version.

I guess "no announcements and no promises" works fine for now. Girlfriend bought it for PC. Guess I had my hopes up for a definite PS3 version.

watson_twenty5 on
    Listening to heavy music circa '95.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]