As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

AMD 4400 Stock Cpu Fan Needs Replacing

MorninglordMorninglord I'm tired of being Batman,so today I'll be Owl.Registered User regular
My girlfriend's Amd athlon 64 X2 4400 cpu fan has been making a lot of noise recently and on bootup recently she got an error about the fan not working properly.

She bought some compressed air to clean it out but it still makes a large grinding noise and to be safe she wants to replace the fan.

The trouble is I've never replaced just a single component fan like that, so I'm not sure on it's size in millimeters or where to get one. It is the stock fan that comes with the cpu box, not anything third party. The manual that came with the processor says nothing, just how to install it. I'm hoping you technical gurus who know cpu's like the back of your hand can tell me the size and wether or not this parts list has what I need. I have installed cpu's before, so I know how to take the fan off and put a new one in, I've just never looked into third party cooling systems or replaced one. I've always just used the one that came with the cpu so far.

Failing that just a clear explanation of the standards and labelling behind stock amd cpu fans would go a long way to me finding out this information on my own as I'm clueless on this topic.

Middle column second page has the cpu cooling if you have the time to have a look

It's in Aussie dollars.

(PSN: Morninglord) (Steam: Morninglord) (WiiU: Morninglord22) I like to record and toss up a lot of random gaming videos here.
Morninglord on

• Options
    wabbitehwabbiteh Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    Try looking for a label or model number on the fan somewhere. Might be able to get a size off of it. I *think* CPU fan sizes are standardized in 10mm increments (50mm, 60mm, 70mm, etc.), or at least a de facto standard. I *think* you can put some size case fans in there too.

Someone else can probably be more helpful, but it might lead somewhere. You could also try looking up "stock cpu fan replacement" on google or somesuch.

EDIT: oh, and if you get another fan, make sure you get a 4-pin one if you have a 4-pin connector, 3-pin for a 3-pin connector. The connections are designed to be compatible, but if you connect them the MB won't be able to vary the fan speed as needed (so it usually just runs full blast all the time).

EDIT EDIT: A good resource might be forums.silentpcreview.com, though they're more about huge aftermarket heatsinks.

wabbiteh on
  • Options
    ArcticMonkeyArcticMonkey Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    Different CPU coolers are made for different sockets. The X2 4400+ was made in both AM2 and 939 versions, so you might have to look up the motherboard to find out which it is. In the list you provided there are some Zalman 9700 coolers which are usable for both AM2 and 939, but ease of install could differ from socket to socket. (Zalman in general is good quiet stuff, but some of it is hard to install). So find out what socket you have (should say on the motherboard packaging) and read a review on the ease of installing the cooler for that socket.

ArcticMonkey on
    "You read it! You can't unread it!"
    venstre.giflobotDanceMiddle.gifhoyre.gif
  • Options
    Mustachio JonesMustachio Jones jerseyRegistered User regular
    edited May 2008
    The fan needs to be oiled. I ran into that problem with my old AMD fan, and oiling it worked perfectly.

Mustachio Jones on
  • Options
    bbmartinibbmartini Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    heatsink and fans are cheap enough now, you could probably pick up a whole new one for 10 to 20 bucks

bbmartini on
    camo_sig2.png