As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Intel iMac suddenly taking 10+ minutes to start up

Giga GopherGiga Gopher Registered User regular
I've just noticed recently that my iMac has been taking a very long time to start up. I push the power button and it goes the the grey screen with the apple logo and that little spinny "loading" symbol. It stays there for a couple of minutes before going to the light blue screen which it stays at for about 7-8 minutes before the mouse appears, and finally the Finder.

I haven't installed anything recently and my only login item is SizzlingKeys4iTunes (it enables custom hotkey controls for iTunes); I've had that as a login item for years now.

What should I do? I've been thinking that reinstalling OS X would fix it right up but I'd like to know if there was something quicker I could do.

My friend's band - Go on, have a listen
Cannon+Goose.png
Oh it's such a nice day, I think I'll go out the window! Whoa!
Giga Gopher on

• Options
    ben0207ben0207 Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    Check Console (in Utilities) straight after you next restart. It should show what is crashing or giving your Mac shit.

ben0207 on
  • Options
    ginguskahnginguskahn Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    ben0207 wrote: »
    Check Console (in Utilities) straight after you next restart. It should show what is crashing or giving your Mac shit.

Yup yup, do this.

Also standard answer to any odd mac issue, have you checked your disc permissions?

ginguskahn on
    ginguskahn360.png
  • Options
    ben0207ben0207 Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    Haha, you know Disk Permissions doesn't really do anything, right?

ben0207 on
  • Options
    TrentusTrentus Registered User regular
    edited May 2008

Except when you try and do an OS update (say, from 10.4.8 to 10.4.9) and you forgot to do a permissions repair before running the installer... then when it reboots you find it won't load up OSX (just sits forever at the grey screen, or panics)... i've found you can usually save it with a fsck (or a disk repair, for those who like their GUIs. It is a mac after all) though.

Anyway, if you've got your OS disk handy, pop it in and boot off it, then run up Disk Utility (I think it's in the tools menu... It'll be up there somewhere anyway) and give a disk repair a shot.

Trentus on
  • Options
    LewishamLewisham Registered User regular
    edited May 2008

This is a myth that's been spun out of what was originally said by Mac-gurus. "Disk permissions is not a panacea" was the original meaning: it won't fix everything. This was back in the day when people were still looking for active things to do when stuff didn't work right. Pressing as many buttons labelled "repair" as possible made people feel better.

However, for things like programs booting slowly, programs not being able to write to places, after upgrades and such, repairing permissions can help, because if there are files that aren't read/writeable that should be, these sort of behaviours can crop up.

Lewisham on
  • Options
    Epyon9283Epyon9283 Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    Boot into safe mode (hold the shift key directly after the normal boot tone). Then once you're in, reboot normally. That should clear out any possibly corrupt boot caches.

Epyon9283 on
  • Options
    freekfreek Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    Where's it hang? That's a big clue. Leopard? Tiger?

freek on