As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

PAX 2008 Button Exchange! Updated OP 8/9

• AvidAvid Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    I'm going to see if I can get a bunch MyPAXBlog buttons for this. I'll keep you guys updated. I love collecting small things and trading buttons could become a fun tradition.

Avid on
  • CaptainTapoleCaptainTapole Awesome in the Possum - Yee-Haw! Northern CaliforniaRegistered User regular
    edited July 2008
    MR.T wrote: »
    BTW: The Pre-Pax Breakfast run to Pike Place is looking to be chock full of button-ers. It might be a good place to start collecting. (Shameless plug, I know) :P

...However, some of us folks will not be coming into Seattle area until like...Noon. But it's all good. I will find ya'll! Plus. I will be easy to point out. I'll be the one with a frog back-pack. Granted one back-pack in comparison to like a gazillion swag bags will get lost. But whatevs.

Oh! And I am only bringing on like thirty of my buttons on the plane and the rest in my Swag-Bag luggage. Yeah, I am willing to pay the extra money to bring another luggage piece that will be completely dedicated to all the shtuff we all be getting.

CaptainTapole on
    The Girl Who Gave Everyone the Shortest Jenga Game Ever.
  • redhaloredhalo Also a Professional Alcoholic Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    Strife23 wrote: »
    mentok1982 wrote: »
    Dude!
    I did not even think about what I would do with my 50 buttons when I get on my plane.
    Please let us know what you find out!

I finally stopped by the airport here and talked to the TSA. 1' -1.5' buttons are not classified as an instrument of death even if you have a 100, and can be carried on or checked (they did say that depending on the TSA Agent you may be asked [forced at gun point] to check the buttons).
    But remember this only applies to people whose flight originates in the US. If you are flying into the US with buttons make sure you check with your TSA equivalent before bringing them on a plane. The TSA people here also highly suggested that you check with US Customs (contact via your local embassy) before you try and bring them into the country (they indicated that the problem isn't with the button it's with what you could be hiding in the button).

Recap: If you’re in the US you can fly w/ buttons, if you’re not your probably better off mailing.

Thanks Strife23, way to pull through. I'm adding this info to the OP.

redhalo on
  • CaptainTapoleCaptainTapole Awesome in the Possum - Yee-Haw! Northern CaliforniaRegistered User regular
    edited July 2008
    redhalo wrote: »
    Strife23 wrote: »
    mentok1982 wrote: »
    Dude!
    I did not even think about what I would do with my 50 buttons when I get on my plane.
    Please let us know what you find out!

I finally stopped by the airport here and talked to the TSA. 1' -1.5' buttons are not classified as an instrument of death even if you have a 100, and can be carried on or checked (they did say that depending on the TSA Agent you may be asked [forced at gun point] to check the buttons).
    But remember this only applies to people whose flight originates in the US. If you are flying into the US with buttons make sure you check with your TSA equivalent before bringing them on a plane. The TSA people here also highly suggested that you check with US Customs (contact via your local embassy) before you try and bring them into the country (they indicated that the problem isn't with the button it's with what you could be hiding in the button).

Recap: If you’re in the US you can fly w/ buttons, if you’re not your probably better off mailing.

Thanks Strife23, way to pull through. I'm adding this info to the OP.

I also added it to the Fly To PAX thread...not it's OP; but close enough.

CaptainTapole on
  • jonxpjonxp [E] PC Security Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    I don't think I'll be adding it to the OP of the flying thread because I can almost guarantee that someone (perhaps many of you) will be stopped and have your buttons thrown out with all the other "weapons" they find. Please, *please* clear this with your local TSA and try to get something in writing that is OFFICIAL and guarantees that you'll be allowed to bring them on the plane as a carry-on. When they confiscate items from you, they don't ask you to check it, they take it, save it for evidence for some amount of time, and then throw it away. Despite the hard work of Strife (and thanks for figuring that out!) TSA agents are largely on a "best judgment" basis. They don't want to get fired or end up on the news, so they almost always err on the side of caution.

Sorry, I'm pessimistic about it because I've been through all this before. I strongly suggest packing your buttons in your checked luggage, even if it means bringing a small bag just for that.

Also, my buttons are ordered! Take me off the "Just Talk" list. :D

jonxp on
    Every time you write parallel fifths, Bach kills a kitten.
    3DS Friend Code: 2707-1614-5576
    PAX Prime 2014 Buttoneering!
  • VThornheartVThornheart Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    Maybe we could arrange to all mail them to a specific drop point, like someone who lives in Seattle?

VThornheart on
    3DS Friend Code: 1950-8938-9095
  • LewieP's MummyLewieP's Mummy Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    Oh! And I am only bringing on like thirty of my buttons on the plane and the rest in my Swag-Bag luggage. Yeah, I am willing to pay the extra money to bring another luggage piece that will be completely dedicated to all the shtuff we all be getting.

I'm bringing a case within a case - I normally end up buying trainers (tennis shoes?) and jeans for my whole family, cos they're so much cheaper in the States than England, and if I find a craft/fabric shop, I'll need 3 cases!

LewieP's Mummy on
    For all the top UK Gaming Bargains, check out SavyGamer

For paintings in progress, check out canvas and paints

"The power of the weirdness compels me."
    edited July 2008
    jonxp wrote: »
    I don't think I'll be adding it to the OP of the flying thread because I can almost guarantee that someone (perhaps many of you) will be stopped and have your buttons thrown out with all the other "weapons" they find. Please, *please* clear this with your local TSA and try to get something in writing that is OFFICIAL and guarantees that you'll be allowed to bring them on the plane as a carry-on. When they confiscate items from you, they don't ask you to check it, they take it, save it for evidence for some amount of time, and then throw it away. Despite the hard work of Strife (and thanks for figuring that out!) TSA agents are largely on a "best judgment" basis. They don't want to get fired or end up on the news, so they almost always err on the side of caution.

Sorry, I'm pessimistic about it because I've been through all this before. I strongly suggest packing your buttons in your checked luggage, even if it means bringing a small bag just for that.

Also, my buttons are ordered! Take me off the "Just Talk" list. :D

Do you have a pic I can add?

redhalo on
  • PeasantDavePeasantDave Jersey ShoreRegistered User regular
    edited July 2008
    I will totally go to a meet-up if there is one, but honestly most of the fun for me was going to be finding people with buttons a la Pokemon or TWEWY. Plus there are already a ton of planned events people can go to. Maybe I'm biased because I have met several of these people before. :p

Regarding Patient Zero, I actually met several cool people playing it last year. The problem was not finding other people playing the game, the problem was finding the one person who was your target, especially if he/she never showed up or grabbed his/her packet.

Regardless, plan a meet-up and I will be there.

PeasantDave on
  • MaoChanMaoChan Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    I plan on the Pub Crawl to be a big place to trade buttons at. I will definitely be there and also twittering my local around the clock. Otherwise yes I think one big final trade on Sunday would be in order incase you missed anyone.

MaoChan on
  • BrokenAngelBrokenAngel Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    Yeah I think a sunday meetup is the best idea, that way we can see how many we can collect beforehand :)

BrokenAngel on
    k9mk2carn.pngeleventhdoc2carn.png *Proud Head Girl of Slytherin & Team Red*
  • LewieP's MummyLewieP's Mummy Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    Woo, competition time! I bet I can find 15 people with whom I'll badge swap, excluding Lewie, before Sunday. Any advance on 15?

LewieP's Mummy on
    For all the top UK Gaming Bargains, check out SavyGamer

For paintings in progress, check out canvas and paints

"The power of the weirdness compels me."
    edited July 2008
    I second a sunday meetup.

Also, my ordered buttons:
    [IMG]http://tf2media.finalmeasure.com/images/JonXP preview.png[/IMG]
    [IMG]http://tf2media.finalmeasure.com/images/PA TF2 Heavy Tea Preview.png[/IMG]

Also, I need to make sure that credit goes to savooipeerd for making the awesome TF2 button design.

jonxp on
    edited July 2008
    Nice, that's awesome jon! =)

And redhalo, you must win the most-buttons-collected contest! You must! =);)

VThornheart on
    edited July 2008

Why? Just 'cause Redy is collecting yours as well?? Ha!

...I PMed soups to see if he needed anyone to trade still. And no response as of yet. But I did only send the PM like 24 hours ago. So. I'll wait for something.

CaptainTapole on
  • The_ReflectionThe_Reflection Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    holy shit, I want that TF2 button

The_Reflection on
  • emorimikuemorimiku Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    I just got my buttons in the mail today. I'll put up some pictures of them tomorrow, and also get on reserving the rooms for the group that I'm going to PAX with since that's kinda also important

emorimiku on
    <emorimiku> j0z1e ... physically emotionally or mentally?
    <j0z1e> ummmm, all three? at once?
    edited July 2008

...I PMed soups to see if he needed anyone to trade still. And no response as of yet. But I did only send the PM like 24 hours ago. So. I'll wait for something.

Exactly! He's fighting the war for two of us! ;)=)

VThornheart on
  • MaoChanMaoChan Registered User regular
    edited July 2008

I will beat Red to death if needed to win LOL. JK

MaoChan on
    edited July 2008

My TF2 button challenge is...you have to tell me the password. :D

jonxp on
    edited July 2008
    MaoChan wrote: »

I will beat Red to death if needed to win LOL. JK

Ha!! I got permission from soups to trade for him. So it will be he and I will win. PFHTT!!! :P:P

He'll send them in the mail to me next week.

CaptainTapole on
    edited July 2008

Walt Sent Me?

Rosebud?

=)

VThornheart on
    edited July 2008

Oh I know the password my friend. I KNOW IT WELL

The_Reflection on
    edited July 2008
    order has been placed and buttons are now being made

The_Reflection on
    edited July 2008
    order has been placed and buttons are now being made

Wahoo!

CaptainTapole on
    edited July 2008
    Oh I know the password my friend. I KNOW IT WELL

Then you will succeed!

Walt Sent Me?

Rosebud?

=)

You will fail.

jonxp on
    edited July 2008
    Have I chosen wisely?

The_Reflection on
    edited July 2008
    Have I chosen wisely?

We'll decide that when you answer correctly at PAX.

I guess I should come up with something cheesy to tell people. Maybe "We make good team!".

jonxp on
  • MasterHeliosMasterHelios Registered User regular
    edited July 2008

Walt Sent Me?

Rosebud?

=)

New England Clam Chowder?

Would You Kindly?

Monkey Peaches?

MasterHelios on
    Roses are red
    Violets are blue
    お前はもう
    死んでいる
    edited July 2008

Walt Sent Me?

Rosebud?

=)

New England Clam Chowder?

Would You Kindly?

Monkey Peaches?

Waiter, there is pepper in my poppykosh soup??

CaptainTapole on
    edited July 2008
    Hmm... are there any hints jonxp? ;)

Is it "please"? My Mom always told me it's the magic word. =)

VThornheart on
  • Labrack2401Labrack2401 Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    I am so excited about this, I can't wait to do the trading!!!

Labrack2401 on
    edited July 2008
    Is it okay if I get pins that aren't from my avatar? Cause my white spy avatar is kinda crappy and I have a much better one that has the handle and avatar I use on Steam games. (The Dead Parrot)
    I posted both on page 31 if anyone wants to compare the two.

MasterHelios on
    Roses are red
    Violets are blue
    お前はもう
    死んでいる
    edited July 2008
    Is it okay if I get pins that aren't from my avatar? Cause my white spy avatar is kinda crappy and I have a much better one that has the handle and avatar I use on Steam games. (The Dead Parrot)
    I posted both on page 31 if anyone wants to compare the two.

That's totally cool, no prob. What page 31 do you speak of? We're only up to 27 here.

redhalo on
    edited July 2008
    are you posting from the future?

The_Reflection on
  • emorimikuemorimiku Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    now that my buttons are made here's a little pic of them that I took using my cell
    PAX08Button.jpg
    now to get on those hotel reservations...

emorimiku on
    <emorimiku> j0z1e ... physically emotionally or mentally?
    <j0z1e> ummmm, all three? at once?
    edited July 2008

it's cause I have 20 posts per page. I'm up to page 34.

EDIT: the pictures are on page 25 on the default settings.

MasterHelios on
    Roses are red
    Violets are blue
    お前はもう
    死んでいる
    edited July 2008

...I use the "200 Posts per page" setting. So I am only on 14...soon to be 15.

CaptainTapole on
    edited July 2008

...I use the "200 Posts per page" setting. So I am only on 14...soon to be 15.

200 posts?!?
    GREAT SCOTT

MasterHelios on
    Roses are red
    Violets are blue
    お前はもう
    死んでいる
    edited July 2008
    Emorimiku, that button is awesome! I love the kirby zoidberg =)

VThornheart on
This discussion has been closed.