As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Can't get internet working

JigrahJigrah Registered User regular
edited May 2008 in Help / Advice Forum
I just came back home from school and I replace one of my families computers with my computer, but it doesn't get any internet connection.

The computer that I replaced it with worked just fine, but when I plug my computer in it says there is a local connection cable unplugged.

I don't know much about networks or why it's not able to see the network thats available.

When the computer first boots up and before it loads up windows xp there is a green light to show that the Ethernet cord is plugged in. Once the computer starts to load XP though the green light turns off.

Is my computer still searching for the school network? Or any other ideas of what could be the problem, thanks in advance.

peace

Jigrah on

• Options
    GdiguyGdiguy San Diego, CARegistered User regular
    edited May 2008
    At school do you have your computer set up with specific info (ip/gateway/etc etc) or just automatically obtain IP? (Control panel -> network settings -> right click on lan connection -> properties -> TCP/IP properties)

You may need to have it automatically obtain stuff at home, especially if you're behind a router... but remember to write down your school stuff before you delete it

Gdiguy on
  • Options
    edited May 2008
    everything is set to automatically detect, nothing specific.

Jigrah on
  • Options
    SireathSireath Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    Your home router might require a static ip.

http://www.portforward.com/networking/staticip.htm

Sireath on
  • Options
    edited May 2008
    Sireath wrote: »
    Your home router might require a static ip.

http://www.portforward.com/networking/staticip.htm

The computer I unhooked for my computer had the same connection settings, and my brother plugged his in without any hitch. I think its just something weird with my computer, or something with networks that I don't understand.

Jigrah on
  • Options
    DrFrylockDrFrylock Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    If the computer is reporting that a local network connection is unplugged and you don't have link and traffic lights on both sides of your Ethernet cable, that seems like not a software problem. Try a different Ethernet cable? Make sure you're not using a crossover cable or something.

DrFrylock on
  • Options
    edited May 2008
    DrFrylock wrote: »
    If the computer is reporting that a local network connection is unplugged and you don't have link and traffic lights on both sides of your Ethernet cable, that seems like not a software problem. Try a different Ethernet cable? Make sure you're not using a crossover cable or something.

The cable works just fine, as well as the the Ethernet card. The cable works with the computer that I replaced mine with, and the card works because I am using it with Linux just fine. I am thinking maybe I have some kind of weird malware or really I have no idea, I just know its not working with XP.

To get my computer up an running at my school I had to download this package that made sure it didn't have any viruses, installed somethings and I do not know what else it did. I am going to start it in safe mode and see if I have internet that way, any other advice is appreciated.

I did try setting it to a static ip but that didn't work as well sadly.

Jigrah on
  • Options
    ApexMirageApexMirage Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    Make sure the card is enabled in your device manager with no red x or yellow '?'

I only skimmed through the topic sorry if this was suggested already

ApexMirage on
    I'd love to be the one disappoint you when I don't fall down
  • Options
    edited May 2008
    ApexMirage wrote: »
    Make sure the card is enabled in your device manager with no red x or yellow '?'

I only skimmed through the topic sorry if this was suggested already

Naw wasn't suggested but the card is working properly. I do not understand why it works with Linux but not XP. That doesn't make any sense to me.

Jigrah on
  • Options
    FyreWulffFyreWulff YouRegistered User, ClubPA regular
    edited May 2008
    I had a weird problem where it didn't like the network card in Linux (it would randomly decide if the cord was plugged in or not) but would work fine under XP.

Try unplugging and removing the computer from power entirely for a few hours. That's what fixed it for me.

FyreWulff on
  • Options
    edited May 2008
    Yay It's fixed.

I googled "Network cable unplugged" to see maybe all the different reasons I would get this error. After clicking through some I found a website that gave some suggestions. One was in the device manager set the speed to 10 mps full duplex or 100 mps full duplex instead of auto. I have no idea why this worked but hey, it worked.

Thanks guys for your input, thread done.

Jigrah on