As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Recommend me a Domain Name Registrar

fightinfilipinofightinfilipino Angry as Hell#BLMRegistered User regular
i've had a domain name registered with 1and1.com for around three years. but some of the scuttlebutt i've been reading about them lately (poor customer service, fraudulent business practices) are making me want to move to a different company.

i'm mainly using the domain name for a personal website/blog, so no need for commercial services. but i would like to have the domain name privacy i could get with 1and1. i've been looking at godaddy.com and namecheap.com, but am seeing people reporting the same shady business practices being done by these companies too...

are there any reputable, mid-to-low cost domain registrars left on this good green earth (or at least in the US)?

ffNewSig.png
steam | Dokkan: 868846562
fightinfilipino on

• Options
    KrisKris Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    I dunno what you've heard about Go Daddy, but Chad Johnson says that they are the worlds number one domain registrar. You have no reason not to believe a football star's opinion about internet-based tech. companies. 8-)
    ChadJohnson01.jpg

Kris on
  • Options
    imbalancedimbalanced Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    I only do domain registration through Network Solutions. Granted they usually cost more, but they are the roots of the Internet tree. I can't find myself paying for a domain through anyone else.

imbalanced on
    idc-sig.png
    Wii Code: 1040-1320-0724-3613 :!!:
  • Options
    The Reverend Dr GalactusThe Reverend Dr Galactus Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    I actually switched to 1and1 from GoDaddy because I couldn't stand GD's user interface.

Not sure what 1and1 is rumored to be doing (ideally I'd like to switch to a more indie reg/host at some point) but there's plenty of stuff out there to recommend against GD.

The Reverend Dr Galactus on
    valar-moreshellus.png
    PSN:RevDrGalactus/NN:RevDrGalactus/Steam
  • Options
    fightinfilipinofightinfilipino Angry as Hell #BLMRegistered User regular
    edited May 2008
    heh.

supposedly leaving 1and1 is a torturous nightmare. i have my domain name and my hosting set up using separate companies, so i can avoid most of the pain of switching if it came down to it. but should i need to transfer my domain name, i'm afraid that the slow action of 1and1 and the horrible customer support i've read about will become big problems.

i have been using 1and1 since 2006 and have had no problems so far...guess i'm just a little antsy.

fightinfilipino on
    ffNewSig.png
  • Options
    imbalancedimbalanced Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    heh.

supposedly leaving 1and1 is a torturous nightmare. i have my domain name and my hosting set up using separate companies, so i can avoid most of the pain of switching if it came down to it. but should i need to transfer my domain name, i'm afraid that the slow action of 1and1 and the horrible customer support i've read about will become big problems.

i have been using 1and1 since 2006 and have had no problems so far...guess i'm just a little antsy.

I've had 1&1 for at least five years now, and I hadn't had any problems with them until recently when they switched me to a new server and things just started breaking randomly. I even had four days of downtime. After a little arguing, they gave me a month of free service, so I guess I'm cool with them... for now....

imbalanced on
    idc-sig.png
    Wii Code: 1040-1320-0724-3613 :!!:
  • Options
    DusdaDusda is ashamed of this post SLC, UTRegistered User regular
    edited May 2008
    I use GoDaddy for all of my domains. Fairly painless to me. I mean, I visit their site what, once every year or two to renew my leases?

Dusda on
    and this sig. and this twitch stream.
  • Options
    FrazFraz Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    I agree with ocho cinco and everyone else, Go Daddy is fantastic.

Fraz on
  • Options
    ZetxZetx 🐧 Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    I disagree. GoDaddy is far too bloated. I use NameCheap. Hell, I switched from GoDaddy.

Zetx on
    76561197966849367.png
  • Options
    KrisKris Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    I'm not trying to defend Go Daddy, since I've never used them, but how can a domain name registrar be too bloated? I could understand if you were talking about their web hosting service, but for just registering your domain, what counts as bloat? :|

Kris on
  • Options
    Lucky CynicLucky Cynic Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    I've used go-daddy. Worked good and easy to set up, but the only complaint that I have is when I didn't care if my domain didn't get re-subscribed to and they just kept flooding my inbox with 'ZOMG! PROTECT YOUR DOMAIN OR SOMEONE ELSE MIGHT GET IT!"

Lucky Cynic on
  • Options
    ZetxZetx 🐧 Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    Bloat may not be the best definition of it, but there are alot of things you have to make sure to uncheck or perhaps the 'free' things they offer, you need to cancel before they start charging and they send way too many emails ;p

Zetx on
    76561197966849367.png
  • Options
    RonenRonen Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    Godaddy's interface is far from great it's infinitely better than register.com's, whose I'm forced to use at work. Fuck those guys.

I use Godaddy for all my personal domains.

Ronen on
    Go play MOTHER3

or Brawl. 4854.6102.3895 Name: NU..
  • Options
    DeathPrawnDeathPrawn Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    If you're looking for hosting as well as domain name registration, I've heard good things about www.nearlyfreespeech.net. Certainly an interesting business model. Their registrations seem cheap and straightforward, but they basically do it as a service for their hosting subscribers.

DeathPrawn on
    Signature not found.
  • Options
    fightinfilipinofightinfilipino Angry as Hell #BLMRegistered User regular
    edited May 2008
    hmm...looks like i'm gonna jump ship to godaddy. gotta find some coupons...

fightinfilipino on
    ffNewSig.png
  • Options
    ArcSynArcSyn Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    Huh, I've been using 1&1 for my hosting and domain name for a few years now without an issue. I love that I get a domain and a few gigs of storage and transfer for only $2 a month. :D

ArcSyn on
    4dm3dwuxq302.png
  • Options
    RandomEngyRandomEngy Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    Didn't Network Solutions do that garbage where they automatically reserve a domain you searched for, preventing you from buying that domain from anyone else but them? Who conveniently offer it for 7 times the going price?

RandomEngy on
    Profile -> Signature Settings -> Hide signatures always. Then you don't have to read this worthless text anymore.