As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

PC gaming is Doomed: Please play Burnout before you turn off the lights.

RookRook Registered User regular
edited May 2008 in Games and Technology
According to shacknews:
Marking the franchise's first appearance on PCs, Criterion Games today announced that it will be porting Burnout Paradise to the platform. The open-world racing game was originally released for Xbox 360 and PlayStation 3.

The PC version of Burnout Paradise will include unspecified expanded multiplayer support, improved online features, and "community driven content".

No additional details, such as a release date, were announced, but more information is expected to be revealed later today.

There's a few games I'm pretty jealous of on the consoles, MGS4, Soul Calibur IV, Street Fighter IV, but at least Burnout IV is going to get a release on PC.

edit: Burnout V apparently.... spoilsport.

Rook on

• Options
    The_ScarabThe_Scarab Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    All great news but why the inflammatory thread title at the expense of a cheap pun?

The_Scarab on
  • Options
    WarchiefWarchief Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    The_Scarab wrote: »
    All great news but why the inflammatory thread title at the expense of a cheap pun?

anybody who would actually get angry over that needs to calm the hell down

I can't wait to see how exactly they expand on the multiplayer.

Warchief on
  • Options
    DisruptorX2DisruptorX2 Registered User regular
    edited May 2008

Agreed, its not funny. Remember when Microsoft bought Nintendo 5 years ago?

DisruptorX2 on
    1208768734831.jpg
  • Options
    edited May 2008

I'm sure I've made a sensible thread title at some point... probably no one read it or something.

Rook on
  • Options
    SzechuanosaurusSzechuanosaurus Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited May 2008
    There seems to be an interesting trend with PC ports of games where the developers are actually aiming to make the PC game better than the console version. Is this in response to complaints from PC gamers about the 'dumbed-down' feel of console games or because the developers/publishers are hoping that people who own it on the console will buy it again on the PC for the extended features?

Of the top of my head, there's this, Mass Effect, Assassins Creed and Gears of War recently; all big name console games that have been given a major overhaul, often with additional content in addition to fixing issues people had with the console releases, when they've been ported to the PC.

Szechuanosaurus on
  • Options
    edited May 2008

Was this before or after they were on the rapes?
    There seems to be an interesting trend with PC ports of games where the developers are actually aiming to make the PC game better than the console version. Is this in response to complaints from PC gamers about the 'dumbed-down' feel of console games or because the developers/publishers are hoping that people who own it on the console will buy it again on the PC for the extended features?

Of the top of my head, there's this, Mass Effect, Assassins Creed and Gears of War recently; all big name console games that have been given a major overhaul, often with additional content in addition to fixing issues people had with the console releases, when they've been ported to the PC.

That's a pretty good question, both Mass Effect and Assassin's Creed didn't have universally stellar reviews, so I think some of it is just to try and convince people that this version actually is worth it (worked with AC for me). I'm not so sure why they feel the need with GoW or Burnout Paradise... they were pretty universally acclaimed in the first place, and I really don't buy the "We want everyone who bought GoW 360 to buy GoW PC as well" thing. I think maybe the feature creep is to stoke up the next console release.

Rook on
  • Options
    WillethWilleth Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    This is pretty cool. But it should be noted that Paradise is actually Burnout 5.

Willeth on
    @vgreminders - Don't miss out on timed events in gaming!
    @gamefacts - Totally and utterly true gaming facts on the regular!
  • Options
    subediisubedii Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    Rook wrote: »

Please tell me that this is simply a casual misspelling.

subedii on
  • Options
    CmdPromptCmdPrompt Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    subedii wrote: »

Theres nothing casual about 3 yard elf business deals.

CmdPrompt on
    GxewS.png
  • Options
    edited May 2008
    CmdPrompt wrote: »

It's sad that I actually get that joke. I've been here way too long.

subedii on
  • Options
    DisruptorX2DisruptorX2 Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    CmdPrompt wrote: »

It's sad that I actually get that joke. I've been here way too long.

Getting that joke, and detailed knowledge about where the internet is stored is vital to understanding G&T.

DisruptorX2 on
    1208768734831.jpg
  • Options
    Kuribo's ShoeKuribo's Shoe Kuribo's Stocking North PoleRegistered User regular
    edited May 2008
    2478531842_1331571aeb.jpg

2478529238_c45bc77980.jpg

2478526286_d1c29491b2.jpg

pc screenshots

Kuribo's Shoe on
    xmassig2.gif
  • Options
    edited May 2008
    I think in years to come, Criterions decision to force widescreen users to play in the verticle 10x16 configuration will be deemed to be a mistake.

Rook on
  • Options
    edited May 2008
    Criterion wrote:
    The PC allows us to experiment with a variety of multi-screen configurations, so we thought we'd try out a double-screen huge portrait image of the game.

Kuribo's Shoe on
    xmassig2.gif
  • Options
    DroolDrool Science! AustinRegistered User regular
    edited May 2008
    This is pretty sweet. I too am loving the trend to fix issues and release more content with PC ports.

It shows that devs have finally figured out they have customers on the PC who will buy thier games as long as they don't give us a shitty port.

It's kind of interesting how PCs and consoles have switched roles in this way. It used to be you got the newest hottest stuff on the PC, and console gamers had to wait for ports with extra content.

As a longtime PC gamer I really don't mind. Adding extra content is just a bonus, but it definately makes it worth the wait in the end.

Drool on
  • Options
    NailbunnyPDNailbunnyPD Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    Criterion wrote:
    The PC allows us to experiment with a variety of multi-screen configurations, so we thought we'd try out a double-screen huge portrait image of the game.

If you had three portraits side by side, it would look stellar.

NailbunnyPD on
    XBL: NailbunnyPD PSN: NailbunnyPD Origin: NailbunnyPD
    NintendoID: Nailbunny 3DS: 3909-8796-4685
    steam_sig-400.png
  • Options
    KhavallKhavall British ColumbiaRegistered User regular
    edited May 2008
    I think in years to come, Criterions decision to force widescreen users to play in the verticle 10x16 configuration will be deemed to be a mistake.

a sexy mistake.

Khavall on
  • Options
    DissociaterDissociater Registered User regular
    edited May 2008

It's been this way for a long while. KOTOR had this, fable had this, jade empire, etc. Pretty much any game that started on consoles and was eventually ported to PC has extra features worked in. Of course there are exceptions.

It's part 'get people to rebuy the game for extra features,' part 'throw in some extra stuff for the gamer for having to wait so long.' I suspect they worry that a lot of people won't want to buy a 6 month/1 year old game for PC even if they didn't have the console it was originally on, but if they add in new content, it feels newer, and really doesn't cost the development team any significant time or money. The engine, ai, and general coding is already in place, so while they port it, why not make a new level or two?

Dissociater on
  • Options
    VoodooVVoodooV Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    Am I the only one who abhors the idea of rebuying a game for a different platform just to get a smidgen of extra content?

I'm certainly guilty of re-buying certain movies for extra content, but that's only a 20-30 dollar purchase. I feel like I'm wasting money even doing that though.

VoodooV on
  • Options
    edited May 2008
    I would never buy a game on two different platforms. Unless you're just the hugest Burnout fan why would you?

Drool on
  • Options
    BroloBrolo Broseidon Lord of the BroceanRegistered User regular
    edited May 2008
    I'm hoping the fix the map/navigation system

That being said I'll buy this to play it at my monitor's native res, my 360s version of 1080p has always looked like blurry crap.

Brolo on
  • Options
    AyulinAyulin Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    I'm actually really excited for this; don't own any of the current gen consoles, but played Burnout and Burnout 2 on the GameCube and loved it.

They showed video of it running on an apparently 2 year old laptop (1.8GHz, 2GB of RAM, but they didn't mention what video card it had), and it looked pretty smooth.

Definitely going to buy this, unless they mess it up a lot and/or it eats your soul, etc. etc.

Ayulin on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    edited May 2008
    I think it's a 7900 ish series card.

Rook on
  • Options
    RaslinRaslin Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    Ohh wow, this is cool

I mean, I'm not sure how I feel about kb + m for driving games, but I like burnout, and PC as well.

Raslin on
    I cant url good so add me on steam anyways steamcommunity.com/id/Raslin

3ds friend code: 2981-6032-4118
  • Options
    edited May 2008
    Just get a 360 controller. I love having one for driving games, platformers, arcade shooters and whatnot. I have a wired controller because I'm cheap, but you can get a wireless too.

Drool on
  • Options
    GlalGlal AiredaleRegistered User regular
    edited May 2008
    Must be the years of experience, but I never could stand playing racing games with gamepads. I prefer making minute adjustments by tapping keys, rather than having to be careful about tilting the thumbstick (all precision seems to go out the door for me when I get into a game. It took me ages to get used to NOT slamming the stick in SSBM).

Glal on
  • Options
    PikaPuffPikaPuff Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    That's a pretty horrible thread title.

Burnout's a good game. The PC port should be fun for those who haven't played it yet.

PikaPuff on
    jCyyTSo.png
  • Options
    edited May 2008
    Glal wrote: »
    Must be the years of experience, but I never could stand playing racing games with gamepads. I prefer making minute adjustments by tapping keys, rather than having to be careful about tilting the thumbstick (all precision seems to go out the door for me when I get into a game. It took me ages to get used to NOT slamming the stick in SSBM).

Oddly enough I'm the same way.

I also feel that way about fighting games funnily enough. It's all digital control anyway, so why make use of an arcade stick anyway when keys can give you a more immediate and precise response? Yes I know that's crazy talk, but it's an impression that I've never really been able to shake all these years.

subedii on
  • Options
    IcewingIcewing Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    Khavall wrote: »

a sexy mistake.

Tallscreen gaming

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-Gk3A11YJBg

(BTW the issue in this video has already been patched, don't get angry)

Icewing on
  • Options
    edited May 2008

I also feel that way about fighting games funnily enough. It's all digital control anyway, so why make use of an arcade stick anyway when keys can give you a more immediate and precise response? Yes I know that's crazy talk, but it's an impression that I've never really been able to shake all these years.

Dual analogue driving is so fun and precise once you get the hang of it.

Drool on
  • Options
    edited May 2008
    dual monitor ultra-widescreen
    2478766916_464a7d0948_o.jpg

3840 x 1200

Kuribo's Shoe on
    xmassig2.gif
  • Options
    edited May 2008
    It seems to go on forever....

subedii on
  • Options
    kaliyamakaliyama Left to find less-moderated fora Registered User regular
    edited May 2008

I'm sure I've made a sensible thread title at some point... probably no one read it or something.

I wish us americans had nearly as awesome political phrases in the lexicon..

kaliyama on
    fwKS7.png?1
  • Options
    MorninglordMorninglord I'm tired of being Batman, so today I'll be Owl.Registered User regular
    edited May 2008

You don't do complicated enough motions to care about it obviously. That's why you've never felt the need to shake it.

I do and wooooooo did it make a difference once I figured it out. Some of it is just instinct now, much faster than it took to learn the same move on pad.

Morninglord on
    (PSN: Morninglord) (Steam: Morninglord) (WiiU: Morninglord22) I like to record and toss up a lot of random gaming videos here.
  • Options
    edited May 2008
    So apparently this is coming next month to the UK. I'm guessing the US version will show up about the same time. Maybe this is old news, but I figured it would be a little longer for them to get the PC version out. This and Mass Effect should keep me busy for quite awhile.

Drool on
  • Options
    SzechuanosaurusSzechuanosaurus Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited May 2008
    Raslin wrote: »
    Ohh wow, this is cool

I mean, I'm not sure how I feel about kb + m for driving games, but I like burnout, and PC as well.

Just get a cheap joypad dude. They are cheap and made of joy and...pad.

Szechuanosaurus on