As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Through the Looking Glass [PHOTO THREAD]

• SheriSheri Resident Fluffer My Living RoomRegistered User regular
    edited May 2008
    GOOD GOD THIS LENS IS ENORMOUS I JUST WANT TO MAKE OUT WITH IT ALL DAY

Sheri on
  • erisian popeerisian pope Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    Sheri wrote: »
    GOOD GOD THIS LENS IS ENORMOUS I JUST WANT TO MAKE OUT WITH IT ALL DAY

Oh fine, just brag about it. :-P

erisian pope on
    edited May 2008
    You guys are gettin' another flower pic, because screw you.

IMG_9114.jpg

EDIT: And another cuz so's yer face!

IMG_9121.jpg

erisian pope on
  • altmannaltmann Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    altmann on
    Imperator of the Gigahorse Jockeys.

"Oh what a day, what a LOVELY DAY!"

signature.png
    edited May 2008
    Man. Botp'd by rebates. Stinkin' rebates shakefist.gif

erisian pope on
  • ThreepioThreepio New Westminster, BCRegistered User regular
    edited May 2008
    Man. Botp'd by rebates. Stinkin' rebates shakefist.gif

I liked them. The first one made me think of Day of the Triffids. The second looked almost edible.

Edit: your pictures, that is. Not the rebates.

Well, the rebates too.

Threepio on
    142.jpg
    edited May 2008
    Threepio wrote: »
    I liked them. The first one made me think of Day of the Triffids. The second looked almost edible.

Edit: your pictures, that is. Not the rebates.

Well, the rebates too.

Hahaha!

erisian pope on
  • Mr_AnonymousMr_Anonymous Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    Loved those Afghanistan shots, and well, longtime lurker (or, at least, non-poster-of-actual-photos), so I thought I'd finally get up my courage and post some stuff. All taken on a 400d with Kit lens, though once I can muster the funds I intend to buy a Sigma 30mm f/1.4 :D

Doleful.
    2497688265_8c9bbdfe5d.jpg

From behind the scenes.
    2498511042_5d254fc575_b.jpg

View from Howth Summit (overlooking Dublin).
    2498510176_48d84a2b6f.jpg

Something's missing...
    2497682485_4dc7751826.jpg

Obviously, C&C is desperately needed :) Oh, and bigger sizes are available on my flickr, not sure how you guys get your nice in-between sizes!

EDIT: Looking at the third one I can already see that I could crop it halfway up and not lose anything, the clouds are the interesting bit :S

Mr_Anonymous on
  • supertallsupertall Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    Mr_Anonymous: I agree that you could crop the out-of-focus bit at the bottom of the third one.

Mclovin: Like everyone's already said, I really like your photos, especially the soldiers leaving the helicopter and the silhouette. Maybe the picture of the woman could be improved by cropping some of the left side off. I feel kind of stupid giving people advice about this stuff, but that's what I'd try.

Pope, I like your picture of the grass seed. (And your borders, which I've started using on some my own pictures. I hope you don't mind).

supertall on
  • The EarlThe Earl Los AngelesRegistered User regular
    edited May 2008
    Mr_A, I like the idea behind that first one, I'm actually chuckling about some poor kid seeing that pic and going..."NOT GONZO!!! YOU BASTARDS!!!"

Those Afghanistan shots are awesome...anything with a heli in it is instantly my favorite.

The Earl on
    | Flickr | Steam | KROQ | Game Center The_Earl
  • dagookfatherdagookfather Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    Another person coming out the shadows. Just scored an XSI for a good price. Here's some test shots for people interested. No post processing done. Shot in .jpg.

Harro World! Goofing around with light writing. Shoulda turned on my lamp. Ah well, next time.
    harroworld.jpg
    <p>
    Cliche' Ole'!
    olecliche.jpg
    <p>
    Lesson One: Don't shoot 1600 ISO with a lot of shadows
    noisyglasses.jpg
    <p>
    Apparently some had issues blowing reds out and making them orange. I didn't see this.
    deathcanforcutie.jpg
    <p>
    For the macro whores: Get a macro lens.
    shiningalight.jpg
    <p>
    Horizontal view of the couch, not too bad in the low light.
    burntpillow.jpg

Basically the 1600 ISO isn't too usable, but overall I'm super happy to have dropped a shitload of money :) Hopefully I get the photoshop thing down and post more. Cheerio!

-Bruce

dagookfather on
  • anableanable North TexasRegistered User regular
    edited May 2008
    Dag, you motherfucker, you stole my phone.
    That is my phone, but seriously try to avoid random clutter in the background.

anable on
  • yalborapyalborap Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    Dag, how'd you pull off that light-writing? Normally when I see it it's through long exposure, but I don't see a bunch of blur around you/the subject to suggest such was done. So what's your secret?

yalborap on
  • PilcrowPilcrow Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    Looks to me like had the room completely dark? Probably went really fast too. Mmm the XSi. I don't need the upgrade, but I would like the upgrade. I will save and save and save and save and save and save for the 5D instead.

A nice picture of my niece from earlier today.

mollys_day-2.jpg

And a good example of why I ALWAYS shoot in raw -- the top is what the camera saw, the bottom is how it looked after simply adjusting the white balance in Lightroom.

why_i_shoot_raw.jpg

Pilcrow on
  • dagookfatherdagookfather Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    yalborap wrote: »
    Dag, how'd you pull off that light-writing? Normally when I see it it's through long exposure, but I don't see a bunch of blur around you/the subject to suggest such was done. So what's your secret?
    Saw it on a metacafe video. You actually use a flash right away which I guess exposes the scene, then if it's dark enough (in this case too dark), the utensil? you use to write will not expose the person doing the writing. Use a small led, like on a keychain or something, and you'll remain invisible. If I had like a speedlight flash to expose the scene I imagine you could still remain totally invis during the process. G'luck.

dagookfather on
    edited May 2008
    Hmm. I might have to play with that.

anable on
  • An-DAn-D Enthusiast AshevilleRegistered User regular
    edited May 2008
    Pilcrow wrote:
    A nice picture of my niece from earlier today.

That is a very nice picture. Of all the pictures on the page so far (no offense to other people, you guys are loads better than I am right now), it caught my eye the most.

And this may seem weird, to ask for requests, but I'm getting a Sony A-350 soon (apparently) and I'm trying to see what its capable of outside what I see on sony.com and whatnot. Anyone have one/be willing to share some pictures?

An-D on
  • FlyingmanFlyingman Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    Maaaan, went for an interview for a architectural magazine today, turns out they won't hire me as I don't have the right equipment. They were happy with my work and myself, but they need something that shoots at higher resolution and DPI, so 10+ megapixel at least.

Godamn D50...

Time for a loan I think.

Flyingman on
    PAsig-1.gif
    edited May 2008
    That's unfortunate Flyingman. Is 10+ mp standard for magazines? I can do 8x10 on my 8MP so I don't see why they need it larger.

anable on
    edited May 2008
    An-D wrote: »
    And this may seem weird, to ask for requests, but I'm getting a Sony A-350 soon (apparently) and I'm trying to see what its capable of outside what I see on sony.com and whatnot. Anyone have one/be willing to share some pictures?

Everything I've posted here so far has been from the Alpha 350. Here are some more that were shot yesterday!

2500602458_a2f3a6bf3a.jpg 2500603830_22a7c2e7a6.jpg

2499776533_211390243c.jpg 2499778387_72008dcd84.jpg

2500609300_f5bc53cbac.jpg 2500611322_64c1660e78.jpg

On the 350: The 14 Megapixel sensor sort of just is. It helps in that it gives you more resolution to work with, but the pixel wells are smaller than some sensors so it's a bit of a trade off. Noise is good up to and including ISO 800, but ISO 1600 tends to make shots unusuable for anything larger than small prints.

The body is stabilized, which is great - it hands you a few extra stops for hand holding; things that are simply a blur on my XTi without a tripod I can successfully shoot with the 350 simply by bracing myself with a bit of forethought.

LiveView is a neat feature. Sony is the only brand who has this done right as of right now; the Canon and the Olympus are slow to AF on this and it's a clunky method. Sony injected a second sensor into the camera which means the AF is fast an it's more WYSIWYG than other LiveView cams. I use the LiveView rarely, but it's another tool in your bag, which isn't a bad thing.

Much like everyone else, Sony has a low-pass filter charge/vibration method for removing dust. Dust hasn't been a problem for me yet.

The body is a little on the heavy side in comparison to some of the newer consumer/entry level cams out there (I picked up the Olympus 420 yesterday... it feels like a point and shoot. Those four thirds bodies and lenses are *light*) but I like a bit of heft so that works for me.

The dynamic range optimizer is something that you're either going to love or you're going to turn it off. HP pioneered this technologies years ago and it seems like everyone's picking up on it now. It's performed at the RAW level pre-jpeg conversion so it works even if you're shooting RAW. I find it does help in some of those contrasty scenes where you might lose detail. If you shoot RAW all the time and you prefer to have more control over your images you might shut it off.

There's a ton of cheap, quality glass out there for it - and it's easy to come by given that you're not competing with Canon owners for it (it's like trying to pry meat out of a wolf's jaws from time to time). I've picked up a Minolta and a Sigma lens so far (a 50mm f/1.7 and a 70-210 f/3.5-4.5 macro) that have collectively cost me less than $175, which fits my budget. The kit lens is... a kit lens. *shrug* Not much to say about it other than it's an 18-70, which is a sight more than you get with most entry level DSLRs (usually being an 18-55).

For those who are interested, the archive group for this thread is up on Flickr. Seven people have joined up so far and two have posted. The idea is that it would be a living record of things posted here that you'd like to be able to share for long periods of time. If that's something that strikes you as something you'd like to do, please join up.

Threepio on
    142.jpg
    edited May 2008
    This lens is beautiful and I love it.

It also weighs a ton.

Here's a photo with it.

IMG_3702b1.jpg

I spent $700 on more camera gear today. Hello, sexy Manfrotto tripod and joystick ballhead, Lowepro backpack and 40D battery grip, among some other things.

EDIT: Because Mango is an ass.

Sheri on
  • MangoesMangoes Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    Sorry to interrupt, but I had to share with you all the way in which I read the post preceding mine.
    IMG_3702b1.jpg

It also weighs a ton.

Mangoes on
    edited May 2008
    Hey

Thanks for calling my mom fat.

Sheri on
  • UnknownSaintUnknownSaint Kasyn Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    It's a bit burnt on her arm/shoulder. Good pose, expression, and composition though.

UnknownSaint on
  • SushisourceSushisource Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    What is up photo thread dudes.

I have been gone for a while doing lots of school stuff, but that is over now! Time for some pictures of a really dusty Testarossa!

I will seriously scan my film prints sometime. I am just lazy.

2500625379_e5be676d49.jpg

2501453456_fe0b7268b7.jpg

2500624753_c951e85365.jpg

I really would've liked to take some pictures of it in better lighting with less dirt on it, but what can you do when you stumble upon a car like that in a hotel parking lot?

Bigger here: http://www.flickr.com/photos/90465672@N00/

Sushisource on
    Some drugee on Kavinsky's 1986
    kavinskysig.gif
  • saltinesssaltiness Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    It would have been less interesting without the dirt. Everyone's seen pictures of a shiny new testarossa.

saltiness on
    XBL: heavenkils
  • UnknownSaintUnknownSaint Kasyn Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    Did another wedding, will bore you guys with wedding shots probably sometime tomorrow.

Some other guy there working a prom at the same place let me use his outside studio flash setup, so there's about 100-200 shots of mine that are totally badass. Told me he could use a photographer too, so I may get to play around with all that nice gear over the summer too!

UnknownSaint on
    edited May 2008
    Saint - lookin forward to the wedding shots, plus post some of the totally badass studio light shots.

Sheri - That's a great pic of your mom! Post more 200mm goodness!

A couple butterflies from the drive home after visiting my grandmother:

IMG_4187.jpg

100% crop from the above pic to show the detail my Sigma 105 macro can get.
    IMG_4187_100.jpg

IMG_4209.jpg

erisian pope on
    edited May 2008
    This one is my favoritest.

IMG_3762b1.jpg

Quoted for bottom
    Saint - lookin forward to the wedding shots, plus post some of the totally badass studio light shots.

Sheri - That's a great pic of your mom! Post more 200mm goodness!

A couple butterflies from the drive home after visiting my grandmother:

IMG_4187.jpg

100% crop from the above pic to show the detail my Sigma 105 macro can get.
    IMG_4187_100.jpg

IMG_4209.jpg

Sheri on
    edited May 2008
    Thanks for the botp love, Sheri! I agree - that's a wonderful shot. Her eyes sparkle and her smile is terrific. The angle is flattering, the DOF is perfect, the blurred background is nice. Muy excellente!

Itty bitty flower!

IMG_4239.jpg

My car key for size reference:
    IMG_4237.jpg

erisian pope on
    edited May 2008
    This might be a bit to scandalous for some of you:
    2502005999_d142360939_o.jpg

Though it breaks some rules, I still enjoy this image quite a bit:
    2502006321_a2f2dd2c66_o.jpg

anable on
    edited May 2008
    Pope, those butterflies are beautiful. The detail on the closeup is spine-tingling.

anable, I love both of those shots. You said the second one "breaks some rules"; please forgive my ignorance, but what did you mean?

Threepio on
    142.jpg
  • MangoesMangoes Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    Hey

Thanks for calling my mom fat.
    I didn't call her fat. You did. In my brain.

Mangoes on
    edited May 2008
    anabel, I love both of those shots. You said the second one "breaks some rules"; please forgive my ignorance, but what did you mean?

The biggest problem is that the subject that draws the most attention (the prairie dog) isn't in focus. Then there's also the fact that even if he were in focus, he's leading out of the image drawing the views eyes away from the picture.

Also, it's anable, not anabel. ;)

anable on
    edited May 2008
    anable wrote: »
    anabel, I love both of those shots. You said the second one "breaks some rules"; please forgive my ignorance, but what did you mean?

The biggest problem is that the subject that draws the most attention (the prairie dog) isn't in focus. Then there's also the fact that even if he were in focus, he's leading out of the image drawing the views eyes away from the picture.

Ah, gotcha.

Also, it's anable, not anabel. ;)

>>
    <<

*cough* (ninja'd)

Threepio on
    142.jpg
    edited May 2008
    Anable, I actually like it breaking the rules specifically because since the little critter's not in focus and leaving the frame I find myself wondering "What did it just finish doing?" It's very nice. In the other one I LOVE how the little kid is hiding its face while mommy and daddy kiss. That's so adorably anthropomorphic!

erisian pope on
  • Uncle LongUncle Long Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    Guys, I'm going up into the mountains above the snow line in a couple of minutes. Any suggestions/requests? I'll be taking the 80-200 f/2.8 and the good ol' nifty fifty.

Uncle Long on
    edited May 2008
    Suggestion: Throw a snowball and think of me, sitting around in the afternoon heat, with vague recollections of that "snow" stuff...

IMG_4217.jpg

IMG_4222.jpg

erisian pope on
  • foursquaremanfoursquareman Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    pope, I have to say that I love that first butterfly pic. The flower is just beautiful!

Is this photo interesting. I'm too biased to tell:

2501618404_33977a58a1.jpg

foursquareman on
  • TiniTini Slippy PARegistered User regular
    edited May 2008
    erisian pope - I'm guessing you like sigma 104 macro lens? I ask because I'm still looking around for which lens to get all I have are the two mediocre kit lenses(18-55mm & 55-200mm) that came with my Nikon D50. I'm still on the fence of whether I want a macro lens or a wide angle lens, and even if I decide that I don't know whats the best to get for my buck.

Help me? :?

Tini on
    Do a barrel roll.
This discussion has been closed.