As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Through the Looking Glass [PHOTO THREAD]

• Options
    NaloutoNalouto Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    MKR wrote: »
    Projeck wrote: »
    i mean like how much would a dslr cost

Between $500 and OVER NINE THOUSAND!!!

(seriously)

yeah. seriously, you can get by on something like I have (Canon Rebel XT - a fantastic 'first' DSLR) for about 500-700, plus add another few hundred for another lens of your choosing (that's where the real money goes sadly.)

edit* was inspired to post a few more...

386900061_e1661c1fb2.jpg
    A lamp in "Christie Pits" Park.

381989794_2907fd9a1f.jpg

2011545715_ae272a1cf7.jpg
    Bus stop in Toronto.

Nalouto on
    :winky:
  • Options
    Dark MoonDark Moon Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    i mean like how much would a dslr cost

Between $500 and OVER $40 000!!!

(seriously)

Let's not forget our medium format dSLRs. The top end Phase One digital back will run you the same amount as a kidney will sell for in Australia, not to mention the body you have to buy to mount it to.

Everyone's photographs are awesome, and that's all I can say. There's no time to critique when you just got your Sigma 10-20mm.

Dark Moon on
    3072973561_de17a80845_o.jpg
  • Options
    JAmp5JAmp5 Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    Loving the last one Nalouto :^:

JAmp5 on
  • Options
    ProjeckProjeck Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    okay a digital rebel xt

how good are those

Projeck on
  • Options
    anableanable North TexasRegistered User regular
    edited May 2008
    okay a digital rebel xt

how good are those

It's what I use currently so I guess look at my pictures and decide for yourself?

Though honestly, after upgrading from my Rebel (non XT) I didn't not any quality increase. That didn't happen until I upgraded my lenses. I still say go for the Rebel over the XT unless you just have to have something new out of a box. You might as well make the jump to the XTi honestly. It has quite a few features the XT doesn't for another $150 if you can afford it. It's what I should have bought when I upgraded. Also, it's dropping in price since the XSi just came out.

anable on
  • Options
    edited May 2008
    well i probably won't be getting anything till sometime in december so i guess i'll just wait and see where the prices are at

Projeck on
  • Options
    edited May 2008
    Quick test shot and the only time I have ever blown a highlight :winky::D
    inno.jpg

JAmp5 on
  • Options
    edited May 2008
    JAmp, I'm digging the shirt/background combo. She looks mighty peeved though.

anable on
  • Options
    NaloutoNalouto Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    let me be the first to say then, [IMO] choose Canon or Nikon or you are shooting yourself in the foot. They are the two most supported cameras available.

decide for yourself what "type" you like. For most it comes down to the lenses that you want to use with it. I've always shot Canon, so that was my natural choice. I do get Nikon envy every so often though...

Nalouto on
    :winky:
  • Options
    SheriSheri Resident Fluffer My Living RoomRegistered User regular
    edited May 2008
    Bifko wrote: »
    249491918_5_SEYv1.jpg

This is great.
    Sheri, does Blurb charge anything for publishing, or is it taken out of each sale like with most e-publishers? I want to write a book and publish it in a non-traditional manner.

There's a cost to each book, and you add a profit on top of it. You get the profit.

Sheri on
  • Options
    foursquaremanfoursquareman Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    Blurb produces really nice books. I got one printed last year and the quality was pretty good. My pictures came out a little darker than I expected, so next time I'll compensate when processing the photos.

foursquareman on
  • Options
    edited May 2008
    if i got this would the lens that comes with it suffice for awhile or not

Projeck on
  • Options
    edited May 2008
    if i got this would the lens that comes with it suffice for awhile or not

Yes.

Sheri on
  • Options
    Uncle LongUncle Long Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    It's not exactly the sort of lens that anyone keeps around after they've bought other glass. I'm sure other people have other recommendations but I'd suggest buying the body only and then buying the 50mm f/1.8. It produces great pictures and it gets the photographer in the habit of moving their feet and considering composition carefully. It also performs well in low-light, has a razor thin depth of field if you need it, and is obscenely fast.

That and this lens most often is the sort of lens that is kept for years. That and it's cheap.

Uncle Long on
  • Options
    edited May 2008
    oh sweet that is only like a ten dollar difference

Projeck on
  • Options
    MKRMKR Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    Sheri wrote: »
    Bifko wrote: »
    249491918_5_SEYv1.jpg

This is great.
    Sheri, does Blurb charge anything for publishing, or is it taken out of each sale like with most e-publishers? I want to write a book and publish it in a non-traditional manner.

There's a cost to each book, and you add a profit on top of it. You get the profit.

So just to be clear: There's no out-of-pocket expense, they just give you a base price, and you decide how much profit you want?

MKR on
  • Options
    PilcrowPilcrow Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    Jamp I love that shot. If those highlights are blown they're barely. That shot of my niece I thought was blown? Had it developed today and the whites are rich and creamy and beautiful.

Pilcrow on
  • Options
    SublimusSublimus Artist. nowhereRegistered User regular
    edited May 2008
    Put on your body armor, because here comes a n00b attack!

cloudmirrror.jpg

enter.jpg

falloutshelter.jpg

forsale.jpg

300.jpg

alleystitch.jpg

Sublimus on
  • Options
    edited May 2008
    QUOTE=MKR;5582098]Sheri, does Blurb charge anything for publishing, or is it taken out of each sale like with most e-publishers? I want to write a book and publish it in a non-traditional manner.

There's a cost to each book, and you add a profit on top of it. You get the profit.[/QUOTE]

So just to be clear: There's no out-of-pocket expense, they just give you a base price, and you decide how much profit you want?[/QUOTE]

Yep.

You don't even have to buy your book.

It has a minimum order requirement of 1 book. You upload it, and as long as SOMEONE buys a copy within 15 days, it stays in the bookstore and you make money.

Sheri on
  • Options
    edited May 2008
    Sheri wrote: »
    QUOTE=MKR;5582098]Sheri, does Blurb charge anything for publishing, or is it taken out of each sale like with most e-publishers? I want to write a book and publish it in a non-traditional manner.

So just to be clear: There's no out-of-pocket expense, they just give you a base price, and you decide how much profit you want?[/QUOTE]

Yep.

You don't even have to buy your book.

It has a minimum order requirement of 1 book. You upload it, and as long as SOMEONE buys a copy within 15 days, it stays in the bookstore and you make money.[/QUOTE]

That's a good quality control measure. :D

MKR on
  • Options
    Stupid Mr Whoopsie NameStupid Mr Whoopsie Name Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited May 2008
    Just buy the book yourself and problem solved! Or Mom! Mom's always a sucker for fridge art!

Stupid Mr Whoopsie Name on
  • Options
    edited May 2008
    That would take an awfully big magnet.

MKR on
  • Options
    Stupid Mr Whoopsie NameStupid Mr Whoopsie Name Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited May 2008
    Mom's love is strong.

Stupid Mr Whoopsie Name on
  • Options
    Dark MoonDark Moon Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    Okay, I have put down the camera long enough to edit a few shots. I am very, very impressed with the colours and contrast straight out of camera with the Sigma 10-20. The heft and well damped setting rings and lovely texture are nice as well. All in all, I am a fan. Some proof pudding, I hope:

2509940049_31ac494d93.jpg

2510772874_58c6356b08.jpg

2510773190_b161feaa0b.jpg

2509941429_a794f00433.jpg

Okay, so the second and third are tech demos. I am still really happy with the first and last, and with some more careful PS work I think the third might be salvageable.

Dark Moon on
    3072973561_de17a80845_o.jpg
  • Options
    edited May 2008
    All this wideness has been hard to take in recently, I'm stuck at 18mm :(

And... a new take on an old idea...
    newshell.jpg

JAmp5 on
  • Options
    edited May 2008
    Damn that's crisp Jamp. How many shots did that take?

Also, I'm not seeing a finger on the trigger....

anable on
  • Options
    edited May 2008
    Yeah it looked better without the human element, made it kind of distracting and not mechanical thus the reason for the odd crop missing off the bottom of the triger + I couldn't keep it level when I touched it.

And, lots of shots :x
    It's all setup by the way shh

JAmp5 on
  • Options
    ProspicienceProspicience The Raven King DenvemoloradoRegistered User regular
    edited May 2008
    DM: That first one is amazing man, I love the dog running at you. Great comp.

Jamp: Is that a HK417? If so I'm... well I can't find an adjective to describe the amount of jealousy I have.
    so you used an IR trigger?

Prospicience on
  • Options
    AneurhythmiaAneurhythmia Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    This thread is giving me the itch.

Aneurhythmia on
  • Options
    edited May 2008
    You can get a cream for that.

anable on
  • Options
    AneurhythmiaAneurhythmia Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    I usually just smear a little vaseline on the lens.

Aneurhythmia on
  • Options
    edited May 2008
    With handage, better or worse?
    an yep it's a 416 replica the real deal aint allowed in the UK :(
    newshellhand.jpg

JAmp5 on
  • Options
    erisian popeerisian pope Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    I usually just smear a little vaseline on the lens.

Man, buy a cheapo UV filter and put the vaseline on that.

erisian pope on
  • Options
    edited May 2008
    Jamp, I don't think it works as well with the hand.

anable on
  • Options
    edited May 2008
    I totally agree. The image is crisp and clean and the hand detracts from that mood. There's a mechanical sterility that is enhanced by having the fewest possible elements in the picture. It's an awesome pic, by the way.

Also, Dmoon - lovin the width of that lens!

EDIT: Sublimus - it bothers me that the wall with the blue paint isn't in focus. I like the "300" best of your pics. Keep shooting and post more!

Nalouto - in the lamp pic, since your bg is totally black I would move the lamp so it's in the top left instead of top right corner. Or else rotate it so that the "opening" (the place where the lamp pole interrupts the circle of light) is a diagonal pointing into the frame instead of pointing to the outside edge.

erisian pope on
  • Options
    edited May 2008
    cheers guys :D

JAmp5 on
  • Options
    edited May 2008
    Jamp - there's no exif. What aperture did you shoot at?

erisian pope on
  • Options
    edited May 2008
    f/8 1/250 ISO 100 In the big file it's just enough to get the whole casing crispy with the body slightly soft. There's a single off camera flash through a diffuser from the top left.

JAmp5 on
  • Options
    PilcrowPilcrow Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    Djes. Beautiful shot Jamp.

Pilcrow on
  • Options
    edited May 2008
    Is 1/250 standard top sync speed for most strobes? I have a cheapo Sunpack that cost me $80 but won't do past 1/250. I'm wondering why people pay $350 for some Speedlites. Is it just the TTL metering?

anable on
This discussion has been closed.