As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Choosing the right laptop for University

LocklockLocklock Registered User regular
Hi folks! I'm going off to university in a few months, and I'm looking for a laptop to use while I'm up there. What I really need is a laptop that can do some intensive image and audio editing. I'm an art major, so I want something that can run photoshop well, even when working with large images. I don't plan on doing a lot of serious gaming, although if it can run some older games like galciv2 that'd be a plus. I've been browsing around newegg, but I'm kinda lost on what to look for. I want it to be portable, so I'm looking for a laptop 15 inches or under. Also I'm trying to keep costs down as much as I can.

Should I avoid integrated graphics?

As far as processors go, faster = better, right?

What should I keep in mind as I look for a laptop, and do you have any specific recommendations?

abear6yy.jpg
Locklock on

• Options
    GrimReaperGrimReaper Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    Hmm, it does sound a lot like you may be quite well suited with a Macbook. But then you mentioned keeping costs down as much as you can.

Have you used macs before? Because of the photoshop mentioned the minimum amount of memory you should be going for is 2GB.

For gaming you could use a bootcamp partition.

How do these prices suit you?

If I were you i'd go with the lowest spec but get 2 or 4 gig of ram. The processor speed is more than enough for photoshop on the lowest spec Macbook.

GrimReaper on
    PSN | Steam
    ---
    I've got a spare copy of Portal, if anyone wants it message me.
  • Options
    DeathPrawnDeathPrawn Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    GrimReaper wrote: »
    Hmm, it does sound a lot like you may be quite well suited with a Macbook. But then you mentioned keeping costs down as much as you can.

Have you used macs before? Because of the photoshop mentioned the minimum amount of memory you should be going for is 2GB.

For gaming you could use a bootcamp partition.

How do these prices suit you?

If I were you i'd go with the lowest spec but get 2 or 4 gig of ram. The processor speed is more than enough for photoshop on the lowest spec Macbook.

I have to agree, unless you have good reason for not wanting a Mac. Knock $100 off of those prices for academic discount, and don't bother buying RAM from Apple. It's outrageously expensive. 3rd party RAM is significantly cheaper and can be installed in <5min.

DeathPrawn on
    Signature not found.
  • Options
    TransparentTransparent Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    How are you going to do that on a laptop? But yeah, avoid Intel's integrated stuff if you can, I'd look for NVidia 8800M or 8600M on the video.
    As far as processors go, faster = better, right?
    If you really don't care about battery life.

I saw someone else bring up this laptop recently: http://www.anandtech.com/mobile/showdoc.aspx?i=3273

Seems like a decent price / performance ratio if you don't want an apple laptop.

My other recommendation would be a tablet, but they're hard to find with decent video. One of my friends has one, and he says that he finds it more intuitive to use in a classroom setting. I didn't do much research on it but here's one just so you can see the concept: http://www.sagernotebook.com/product_customed.php?pid=63596

Transparent on
    PAXtrain '10, let's do this!
  • Options
    xYUUBINKYOKUxxYUUBINKYOKUx Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    When I was looking around I finally ended up going with the Dell M1530. I am also an art major and do lots of photoshop and 3d work on it. So far its worked out great. Its also powerful enough to run all modern games. Maybe not at the highest settings but it never had any trouble with supreme commander, EQ2, or TF2.

xYUUBINKYOKUx on
  • Options
    Dark MoonDark Moon Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    I'd definitely take a good, hard look at a Macbook Pro. Non-pro Macbooks are terrible for graphics work and shouldn't be considered, but the Pro versions are right up your alley. The non-pro just isn't fast enough, and the integrated graphics card makes some image cataloguing/manipulation programs (*cough*Aperture*cough*) run like a lame dog. Definitely get at least 2gb of RAM in the thing, as Photoshop gets exponentially faster the more RAM you give it to gobble up.

You're not going to get a laptop that will be nice to do serious image editing on for really cheap. Spending a good amount and getting a nice laptop will make life ever so much more enjoyable. I once had to edit ~600 photos from a shoot on a vanilla Macbook with a gig of RAM, and my voice was hoarse from screaming curses at the machine and its creators by the time I was done.

Dark Moon on
    3072973561_de17a80845_o.jpg
  • Options
    RookRook Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    When I was looking around I finally ended up going with the Dell M1530. I am also an art major and do lots of photoshop and 3d work on it. So far its worked out great. Its also powerful enough to run all modern games. Maybe not at the highest settings but it never had any trouble with supreme commander, EQ2, or TF2.

I've got to say ditto on this. I have to say I'm very impressed by the design and as long as you've got an ok sized shoulder bag, it's not that heavy. The only sort of disappointing feature to me is the screen, but mainly as I'm used to a PVA panel at home. The colours are very bright and vibrant but I assume it's a TN+film display as the colour shifting is pretty bad. I haven't seen the LED panels yet so I can't comment on them but it's probably worth checking them out.

Recommendations I would make would be to get one with a penryn processor (45nm fab process means it uses less power and takes up less heat). I think the T8300 (2.4ghz) is probably the best £/performance, although I ended up with the T8100.

I'd probably try and get a 7,200rpm hard drive in there, even if it means going for a smaller drive. Currently I have a 250gb 5,400rpm drive but I think there's an option to straight swap it to a 160gb 7,200rpm drive which is probably big enough as long as you don't insist on carrying your entire media library with you.

Screen size I'd definitely recommend 1440x900 on a 15" panel, 1280x800 is too small, although you might want a higher pixel density if you're doing artsy things so have a look at a 1650x1050 display (gives me eyestrain though, but I'm mainly reading/typing on mine).

RAM wise for a laptop, I have 2gb but feel that it's probably a little bit lacking, and I'll probably upgrade to 3-4gb at some point. Laptops have to do so much more than desktops (but are so much nicer to use).

Warrenty on a laptop is generally recommended, all laptops have pretty scary 3 year failure rates in the 20-30% range.

I picked up mine for £740 with a 4 year warrenty, so shop around for coupons and other special deals as you may be able to save a lot of money. It's pretty much identicle to a macbook pro, except it was about half the price. But I'm a Vista/MS person, I like it a lot so the premium for an apple wasn't worth it to me, but it might be for you.

Rook on
  • Options
    DaedalusDaedalus Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    How are you going to do that on a laptop? But yeah, avoid Intel's integrated stuff if you can, I'd look for NVidia 8800M or 8600M on the video.

Integrated meaning integrated onto the northbridge. Obviously it's going to be integrated onto the motherboard.

And anything discrete is going to kill battery life and generate a bunch of heat. Intel's graphics chips might suck at performance but they're consistently the best choice for battery life. But if you need the hardware, you need the hardware.

Have you considered getting a nice desktop to do your photoshop work on and a cheap, low-power laptop to bring around for note-taking and such?

Daedalus on
  • Options
    xYUUBINKYOKUxxYUUBINKYOKUx Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    Rook wrote: »

I've got to say ditto on this. I have to say I'm very impressed by the design and as long as you've got an ok sized shoulder bag, it's not that heavy. The only sort of disappointing feature to me is the screen, but mainly as I'm used to a PVA panel at home. The colours are very bright and vibrant but I assume it's a TN+film display as the colour shifting is pretty bad. I haven't seen the LED panels yet so I can't comment on them but it's probably worth checking them out.

I think the colors on the screen are great. I got the upgraded 1400x900 option on mine just because since its only a 15" screen I did not want everything to be super tiny. Like I said I do a lot of graphics work on it and I have never noticed my colors being that far off from the 2408wfp sitting next to it on my desktop or much different than my prints. I was really surprised by the quality of the screen.

xYUUBINKYOKUx on