As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

.hack//G.U.-Vol.1:Rebirth(Out On 10/24/06!)

• ClawshrimpyClawshrimpy Registered User regular
    edited August 2006
    I want this game in the US NOW. Luckly it's changed from Q4, to "This Fall" With it being august, maybe some sign of a release date will come soon, maybe Bandai will have a presence at PAX?

I shall see, as I am attending.

Also, How should someone go about beating Corbenik in Quarantine? I looked at FAQs and they werent too helpful, I just want my Data flag so I can look at the termional disk stuff when I get my copy of G.U.

Clawshrimpy on
  • The Lovely BastardThe Lovely Bastard Registered User regular
    edited August 2006
    Man, I haven't played against Corbenik in a while, but the party that always sees me through is Wiseman and Gardenia.

Have Wiseman always heal, and give him a helm that gives him the best healing spell in teh game (Phal Repth, I believe) and that should make easy work of him.

The battle is really, really long if I remember correctly.

The Lovely Bastard on
    7656367.jpg
  • Zodiac BraveZodiac Brave Registered User regular
    edited August 2006
    .Hack has always interested me quite a bit, but I don't really have the time to devote to 3 (or is it 4) RPGs just to get one story. That said, if this ends up being a stand alone title, I'll definately look into it.

Edit: Nevermind! I now see that there is a rather blatant Volume 1 in the game's title. Lame! Ah well, I might look into it regardless.

Zodiac Brave on
  • FuruFuru Registered User regular
    edited August 2006
    .Hack has always interested me quite a bit, but I don't really have the time to devote to 3 (or is it 4) RPGs just to get one story. That said, if this ends up being a stand alone title, I'll definately look into it.

Edit: Nevermind! I now see that there is a rather blatant Volume 1 in the game's title. Lame! Ah well, I might look into it regardless.

I Think GU is only set for 3 games, if it helps.

Furu on
  • powersurgepowersurge Registered User regular
    edited August 2006
    Anyone know any online retailers that still have the original ps2 games? I have vol. 1 but never got around to getting the others :(

powersurge on
  • OwenashiOwenashi Registered User regular
    edited August 2006
    Right now, there's more then one way to get the info needed on the original .hack game's story besides buying the game's parts.

1) The ANOTHER BIRTH novels, which tell the story abiet from Blackrose's point of view. Some fans also have noticed some mistranslations in the English translation.

2) The XXXX manga, which tell an expanded version of the story (which in the end might make it as non-canon as the anime version of LEGEND). While not officially translated yet, there might be some sort of translation(s) floating around the internet (which wouldn't be surprising concidering the need for fresh stories by fans). :)

3) The first four reports from G.U.'s Terminal Disc, which goes over the basic story of each part of the game through the eyes of the writer of the reports. Dothackers.net has managed to put up translated copies of the four reports on their site, along with pictures and perhaps meanings behind four of the twelve phrases that G.U. stands for.

http://www.dothackers.net/interim.php

Owenashi on
  • Asamof the HorribleAsamof the Horrible Registered User regular
    edited August 2006
    Japan and its metrosexual heroes.

Asamof the Horrible on
  • FuruFuru Registered User regular
    edited August 2006
    Japan and its metrosexual heroes.

They're avatars in an online game, so it make sense for them to look like Japanese game characters.

Furu on
    edited August 2006
    Dothackers just placed up the trailer for the second G.U. game (which comes out on September 28 in Japan) on their front page. The trailer will have scenes that end up spoiling one or two events at least from the first game so only watch if you don't mind getting advance information on Rebirth's content.

http://www.dothackers.net/

Owenashi on
    edited August 2006
    Who's up for some speculation?

[spoiler:6638c8e68e]with Tri-edge, and the the reavealed Evil Balmung and Orca, do you think there will be other chaarcters from The World's past to come back in evil forms?

Example, Tri-edge once Kite, is a Twin Blade. And the Decendants of Fianna are Blademasters. do you think other classes will be represented? let's take a look at suspects.

Heavy Blade: It makes too much sense, it would just end up being Black Rose, no questions asked. Mimiru comes close, but.... meh.

Long arm: This is a bit tricky as the Long Arms that traveled with Kite were very minor characters. Gardenia could be possible, but It might be better if it was Crim from //SIGN or even better, Albero from A.I. Buster.

Wavemaster: This is where speculation gets interestiong, Elk and Mistral are just so minor that it's unlikely. It would probably end up being Wiseman, as a scholar on the Epitaph, he would have a quarrel with Yata, who is Fidchell, the Prophet. but another thing could be..... Tsukasa. Tsukasa, the young Wavemaster, manipulated by Morganna to Data Drain players using the Twilight Guardian, to keep Subaru, the system administators, and the Crimson knights off the trail of the Wave. It would actually pretty plausible to see Tsukasa come back and sick his Guardian on people again.

Heavy Axeman: This one is tricky, as it is rumored that Piros is in the game allready. Tarjima Ryoko, the other Axeman that joins Kite, is a minor side character attained from a sidequest. so, going by the Tsukasa theorem, it would make a LOT of sense for it to be Lady Subaru, former leader of the late Crimson Knights. since she would do anything to aid Tsukasa.[/spoiler:6638c8e68e]

And I think that,s everything, thoughts?

Clawshrimpy on
  • ValiantstuValiantstu Registered User regular
    edited August 2006
    Who's up for some speculation?

[spoiler:8798faa9d0] Heavy Axeman: This one is tricky, as it is rumored that Piros is in the game allready. Tarjima Ryoko, the other Axeman that joins Kite, is a minor side character attained from a sidequest. so, going by the Tsukasa theorem, it would make a LOT of sense for it to be Lady Subaru, former leader of the late Crimson Knights. since she would do anything to aid Tsukasa.[/spoiler:8798faa9d0]

And I think that,s everything, thoughts?

[spoiler:8798faa9d0] Actually, i think it would be awsome, and somewhat likely that the origonal piros would be the heavy axeman of the evil guys, since he's probably going to be in or at least around your party.
    Think of his reaction, and the joy of killing one of the most hated characters in the series! And the tri- tsukasa would probably go something like this...
    Haseo: Alright, Tri-Kasa, let's battle. *whack*
    Tri-Kasa: OW! IT HUUUUURTS! MOMMA! *runs off*
    System: o.o;; uh...here, Haseo, have some experience points.
    Haseo: Sweet. [/spoiler:8798faa9d0]

And do we even know if there are going to be more members of the crazy party? If they're running off of the old rules, shouldn't they have the max party already?

Valiantstu on
    edited August 2006
    Dothackers.net managed to get their hands on about eighty screenshots or so from the English version of .hack//G.U. Vol 1. Fans who've played all four parts of the original game oughta take a look at these three out of the eighty pics and see what seems familiar and what seems new. For the rest of the pictures, head on over to these links first.

http://www.dothackers.net/guimages.php
    http://www.dothackers.net/guimages1.php
    http://www.dothackers.net/guimages2.php

rebirth_us_3quest.jpg
    rebirth_us_2quest.jpg
    dothack-01Quest4.jpg

Owenashi on
  • powersurgepowersurge Registered User regular
    edited August 2006
    Will this one support widescreen and progressive? The first set was fun (I admit though I never finished them but it was fun) but it looked like ass on my HDTV. Actually most ps2 games look like ass :x God of War was one of the few that looked sweet.

From the screenshots it already looks a bit better. Is it a different engine?

powersurge on
  • dachishdachish Registered User regular
    edited August 2006
    I never got around to touching this series, despite waiting on it to come out back in the day when it was not yet released. It seems like there is all sort of stuff to the series. Games, books, etc etc.

I'd like to pick up the games and check them out so let me make sure I have it all right.

There are 4 games, Vol. 1-4 correct?
    .Hack// Infection
    .Hack// Mutation
    .Hack// Outbreak
    .Hack// Quarantine

So far so good?
    Now could I pick these up (I'd just get part 1 first in case I didn't like them for some reason, which I can't see considering how much I like the concept) and then be caught up with everything so that when the new game comes out I'll know what is going on? Or are there 'required' fillers like the animes and such? Thanks =)

dachish on
    My heart it ceases, my breath undrawn.
    Eyes forever focused, on the sanguine, metal dawn.
  • KingSpikeKingSpike Registered User regular
    edited August 2006
    dachish wrote:
    Now could I pick these up (I'd just get part 1 first in case I didn't like them for some reason, which I can't see considering how much I like the concept) and then be caught up with everything so that when the new game comes out I'll know what is going on? Or are there 'required' fillers like the animes and such? Thanks =)

I'd say you could miss the animes and be ok. The .hack OVA with Rena and Shugo isn't really canonical, and more fun than anything. .hack//SIGN is a good backstory on The World, but the characters that are shown there aren't main characters in the games, so you're not missing out on anything.

[spoiler:15e08044fa]You can see memories of the SIGN characters in optional cutscenes in the games, but that's it.[/spoiler:15e08044fa]

There's an anime based in The World 2.0 called .hack//ROOTS. Haseo is the main character so if you could catch that somehow it would probably help with understanding the new games.

[edit]Fuck, I keep forgetting there's no s in the spoiler tag.

KingSpike on
  • dachishdachish Registered User regular
    edited August 2006
    KingSpike wrote:
    dachish wrote:

I'd say you could miss the animes and be ok. The .hack OVA with Rena and Shugo isn't really canonical, and more fun than anything. .hack//SIGN is a good backstory on The World, but the characters that are shown there aren't main characters in the games, so you're not missing out on anything.

[spoilers]You can see memories of the SIGN characters in optional cutscenes in the games, but that's it.[/spoilers]

There's an anime based in The World 2.0 called .hack//ROOTS. Haseo is the main character so if you could catch that somehow it would probably help with understanding the new games.

Excellent. Thank ya sir. I went ahead and ordered a copy of the first game in the series and I guess I'll test the water from there. I wouldn't mind sitting back and checking out the anime either. I may do so.

dachish on
    My heart it ceases, my breath undrawn.
    Eyes forever focused, on the sanguine, metal dawn.
    edited September 2006
    New news on the first .hack//G.U. game (unless you already know and thus I apologize). Dothackers.net managed to sit down and get a few words from the actor who'll be providing Haseo's angsty voice. For those who've seen the dubbed versions of Naruto, Bleach, and Zatch Bell, you may reconize his work. For a look at what he had to say, check this link out.

http://www.dothackers.net/haseo_interview.php

And to see where else you might have heard him before, check this link right here.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Yuri_Lowenthal

Owenashi on
    edited September 2006
    So... if they have the voice actor talking like he's pretty much done recording... does that mean that we'll be getting the game over hear soon?
    Because i really don't like the idea of japan having 2 games and us having none. Curse my fixaction on the german language, i should have learned japanese.

Valiantstu on
    edited September 2006
    Dothackers just added three more pages worth of English-based pictures for Vol 1 of G.U. Take a look to see an important test for Haseo, how guilds will factor into his life, and his first meeting with The World-R:2's top bishie that all the girls will be going ga-ga for in-game and out, Endrance.

http://www.dothackers.net/guimages3.php
    http://www.dothackers.net/guimages4.php
    http://www.dothackers.net/guimages5.php

dothack05Trial10.jpg
    dothack05Trial19.jpg
    dothack06GuildMasterEvent3.jpg
    dothack06GuildMasterEvent13.jpg
    dothack07WarringCity27.jpg

Owenashi on
    edited September 2006
    So... uh... what's with the grunty thing? It scares me somewhat.
    also, about time elk got some respect from the REAL ladies and not some program.

Valiantstu on
    edited September 2006
    Valiantstu wrote:
    So... uh... what's with the grunty thing? It scares me somewhat.
    also, about time elk got some respect from the REAL ladies and not some program.

Grunties in TW-R:2...

[spoiler:e30fea88ae]...to the best of my knowledge are connected to guilds at least, acting as NPC assistants for the guild-leaders. That's why that little one looks like Haseo.[/spoiler:e30fea88ae]

And as for 'Elk',...

[spoiler:e30fea88ae]...his name's Endrance, a Blade-class player who's supposedlly number one in TW-R:2's PvP-arena. However, he has a secret behind his wins, one that soon brings him into conflict with Haseo. Reportedlly, one of the main eight characters has a crush on him as well. And you might not be off with calling him Elk after all as there's a very good reason why some fans believe it might be him.[/spoiler:e30fea88ae]

dothack07WarringCity30.jpg

Owenashi on
    edited September 2006
    [spoiler:6f99cfa43d] That and the fact that maha, macha, or mia, whatever you want to call her (as i cannot rember) is his avatar. I do find his title "the temptress" funny [/spoiler:6f99cfa43d]

Thanks for the screen shots by the way. I was pleasently supprised that they're that far into translation.

Valiantstu on
    edited September 2006
    Don't thank me. I'm just bringing and linking them over from Dothackers. :)

Owenashi on
  • LanzLanz ...Za?Registered User regular
    edited September 2006
    any news yet on who the Pre-Order figurine is of?

Lanz on
    waNkm4k.jpg?1
    edited September 2006
    Lanz wrote:
    any news yet on who the Pre-Order figurine is of?

Got the answer for you as a visit to Gamestop's web-site reveals it to be Haseo, complete with his various weapons.

However, not only does the figure seem to be locked in with the Special Edition of the game, but the English version of the informative Terminal Disc as well. This is confirmed via a Q&A session with Namco-Bandai's Localization Manager, Brian Glazebrook. He also mentions, confirms or denies some other topics like the importance of the G.U. card game and the G.U. manga showing up online. To read what he said and didn't say, check out the session hosted here.

http://dothackers.net/localization_interview.php

Owenashi on
    edited October 2006
    With the game just a week away, I re-edited the opening post in order to make it more informative to those who aren't sure of what this game's all about. Hopefully I did it well within the standards of other fine G&T opening posts. :)

In the meantime, RPGamer's placed up 48 new shots from the English version so check them out if you're interested. A couple of the shots include how the new desktop screen looks like.

hackgu209-1.jpg
    hackgu223-1.jpg
    hackgu236.jpg

http://www.rpgamer.com/games/hack/hackgu/screens/hackguss101506-1.html

Owenashi on
    edited October 2006
    Gah, And I stil can't kill Corbenik, I finally got him to Stage 3, and one of his big attacks killed Kite and Wiseman, and it missed Blackrose. But Blackrose doesnt bring enough fucking ressurects and she doesnt fucking knoiw rip Maen

D:D:D:D:

Now I don't know if I'm willing to go through with the Stage 2 bullshit again.

Clawshrimpy on
  • GinsaneGinsane Registered User regular
    edited October 2006
    Still at the end of the fourth game, collecting Virus Cores. Lame ones A-G.
    Which I should already have, but don't, and farming them.. so long.. takes.. so long..

Ginsane on
    Live!: Burnout Cowboy - DS: Too many.
  • LanzLanz ...Za?Registered User regular
    edited October 2006
    got 14 dollars down on the SE version, I'm eagerly awaiting the 24th.

Lanz on
    waNkm4k.jpg?1
    edited October 2006
    Gah, And I stil can't kill Corbenik, I finally got him to Stage 3, and one of his big attacks killed Kite and Wiseman, and it missed Blackrose. But Blackrose doesnt bring enough fucking ressurects and she doesnt fucking knoiw rip Maen

D:D:D:D:

Now I don't know if I'm willing to go through with the Stage 2 bullshit again.

::nods::Corbenik's a real pain. I used Kite, BR, and Balmung myself for that fight. Just keep on him when he doesn't have his orbs out as well as speed-boosts on all your characters in order to run from him ASAP if needed. I think I had Kite play healer for the most part during that fight anyway. Don't give up on it since you're quite close to a cool ending as well as more fun after the credits. :)

Owenashi on
    edited October 2006
    Yeah, My Difference is I use Wiseman in Place of Balmung, Maybe that's my Problem, but then againsn, few piece of Blademaster/Heavy Blade gear teaches Rip Maen.

I use Wiseman because of his large SP Pool and well, he has Rip Maen, as well as he Can use Wryneck and Orbi Ani Don on Stage 2 for extra Damage.

Clawshrimpy on
  • HadjiQuestHadjiQuest Registered User regular
    edited October 2006
    I wish they'd do a one shot.

My poorness can't get me into these games.

HadjiQuest on
  • The Lovely BastardThe Lovely Bastard Registered User regular
    edited October 2006
    For boss battles, bring your two heavy hitters and be the healer. NEVER bring a Wavemaster.

I breezed through all of them with Blackrose and Gardenia.

The Lovely Bastard on
    7656367.jpg
    edited October 2006
    HadjiQuest wrote:
    I wish they'd do a one shot.

My poorness can't get me into these games.

That's understandable, but I don't think they'll be able to translate Volume 2 as quickly as they did with MUTATION. After all, each of the G.U. volumes are supposed to be as big as the four parts of the original game combined.

As for Wiseman, he's a pretty cool Wavemaster, but I went for Balmung due to me feeling that it'd be the right choice story-wise, something I tend to do in RPGs with good plot.

Found this via a link on another forum for those interested by the way. It's an eight-minute recording of someone playing a OPM demo of G.U., complete with English voices as well as how fields and fights will look and work in the game. Since it's being recorded off via a camera pointed at the TV, the quality is somewhat poor, but it's still worth watching.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k35PPPauXbg

Owenashi on
    edited October 2006
    There were a lot of Fights where a Wavemaster is pretty critical to have, *cough* Cubia *cough* or any other boss that goes Physical Tol. like Gorre.

Clawshrimpy on
    edited October 2006
    Four days and counting for the first volume's release in America and they're already got news on what's coming out for the third and final volume (at least for this trilogy of games). And while we can't read Japanese, a picture can still speak a thousand words. Take a look at these magazine-page-scan links thusly and judge how tight or weak the end game will be while remembering to put any comments about them in spoilers. :)

http://img180.imageshack.us/my.php?image=up143613df6.jpg
    http://img177.imageshack.us/my.php?image=up143614gg8.jpg

Owenashi on
  • 3rdrocket3rdrocket Registered User regular
    edited October 2006
    Mistral is <3

3rdrocket on
    civilwarTR.jpg
    edited October 2006
    3rdrocket wrote:
    Mistral is <3

And :) and :p and sometimes even >:-)

Had a bit of an irritating laugh on the Japanese-language track though..

Owenashi on
    edited October 2006
    So, I beat Corbenik and finally got my data flag, and I have G.U. paid off, so I'm Garanteed my copy next week.

So um, this time, the first thing i'm doing is switching to the Japaneese track. While some of the VA's from the original .hack games were good (Kite, Balmung, Helba, Wiseman.) there were some ear bleedingly bad ones. (Rachel, Piros, Mistral, and there were a handful of random players throught the games who had some pretty bad VA's.)

Clawshrimpy on
    edited October 2006
    So, I beat Corbenik and finally got my data flag, and I have G.U. paid off, so I'm Garanteed my copy next week.

So um, this time, the first thing i'm doing is switching to the Japaneese track. While some of the VA's from the original .hack games were good (Kite, Balmung, Helba, Wiseman.) there were some ear bleedingly bad ones. (Rachel, Piros, Mistral, and there were a handful of random players throught the games who had some pretty bad VA's.)

Yeah, well wait till you hear Mistral's Japanese voice actor greet you or thank you for trading (not sure which at the moment) with some laughter....which gets annoying by the fifth or tenth time you hear it bouncing in your skull. I love her but damn if that doesn't make you wanna pick Elk over her for field-runs everytime after a while.

EDIT: Speaking of voice-actors, it looks like a listing of the VAs for the game's main characters was just released on Dothackers. Putting it here as well as the opening post.

Haseo: Yuri Lowenthal
    Atoli: Bridget Hoffman
    Kuhn: Jhonny Bosch
    Yata: Steve Jay Blum
    Sakubo: Erin Fitzgerald
    Endrance: Liam O'Brien
    Pi: Jessica Strauss
    Ovan: Jamieson Price
    Silabus: Sam Riegel
    Gaspard: Dave Wittenberg
    Piros the 3rd: Daran Norris
    Zeikova: Wendee Lee