Our new Indie Games subforum is now open for business in G&T. Go and check it out, you might land a code for a free game. If you're developing an indie game and want to post about it, follow these directions. If you don't, he'll break your legs! Hahaha! Seriously though.
Our rules have been updated and given their own forum. Go and look at them! They are nice, and there may be new ones that you didn't know about! Hooray for rules! Hooray for The System! Hooray for Conforming!

New Wii Owner looking for Wii games

SoulGateSoulGate Registered User regular
edited May 2008 in Games and Technology
Hello great denizens of the great and Godly G & T! Your loyal and humble servant has come into a great possession of a mystical item called a Wii, and many portable disks were soon to follow.

So far their titles rank and file into these catagories:
Mario Kart Wii
Guitar Hero 3
Boom Blox
Monster Truck 4x4 (Which shall soon depart into a barter at a Gamestop)
House of Dead 2&3

I request earnestly which other games should I come into possession of that will be of great value to one such as myself?

tl;dr: Sup. I just got a Wii and those games listed, and I'm wondering what other games should I get? I'm trying to find some fun, simple games, something me and my non-gamer fiancee can both enjoy. Also some others that I can woop on by myself.

SoulGate on
steam_sig.png

• Big DookieBig Dookie Smells great! Houston, TXRegistered User regular
    edited May 2008
    Excite Truck
    No More Heroes
    SSB Brawl

Man I don't know just do a search for "recommend wii games" and I'm sure you'll find something.

• TheSonicRetardTheSonicRetard Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    Well, they don't fit your description exactly, but pick up Galaxy and Brawl because, I mean, come on. They're AWESOME.

Then pick up wii fit and your fiancee will jump your bone 6 or 7 times.

• UnbreakableVowUnbreakableVow Klonoa of the Wind WAHOO!Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    No More Heroes
    Resident Evil 4
    Super Smash Bros. Brawl
    Super Mario Galaxy
    The Legend of Zelda: Twilight Princess

Those are the Wii games I own, and I'm satisfied with all of them. I was especially surprised by No More Heroes.

BwQ9Ecd.jpg?1
    Magya! | Sometimes I stream PS4 games here | PSN: UnbreakableVow
    edited May 2008
    Then pick up wii fit and your fiancee will jump your bone 6 or 7 times.

I would suggest this, but I think this game will be as hard to come by as the Wii itself. I was in Gamestop today and some lady came in and asked to preorder, the clerk refused, saying that they might not even be able to fill the pre-orders they have on day one.

BwQ9Ecd.jpg?1
  • GreenGreen Stick around. I'm full of bad ideas.Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    Metroid Prime

All three of them

IsaacSig.png
    3DS: 3007 8087 2767 | Nintendo ID: AngryFrog
  • LewiePLewieP Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    If you never played RE4 first time round, get Wii edition.

If you did play RE4 on either Gamecube/PS2, and liked it, get Wii edition.

Super Mario Galaxy is really good.

Wii play is worth it since you'll be wanting another controller anyway.

• ArcSynArcSyn Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    edited May 2008
    ArcSyn wrote: »
    :^::^:

Honestly, someone should just sticky that.

• Captain ElevenCaptain Eleven The last card is a kronk Registered User regular
    edited May 2008

Nothing more really needs to be said than that. :^:
    Spoiler:

steam_sig.png
  • slash000slash000 Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    I was going to copy & paste my list of recommendations, but, indeed, Arcsyn already linked to it.

Just for the heck of it I'll paste it into this spoiler:

Spoiler:

edited May 2008
    Perhaps we should start adding WiiWare games to these recommendations.

On that note, I recommend Lost Winds, and people have been enjoying Final Fantasy Crystal Chronicles: My Life as a King, and on the casual-yet-addicting note, Defend your Castle.

• urahonkyurahonky Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    Galaxy should be purchased by every Wii owner, seriously. It's perfect even for non-gamers (I hate that word). My fiancee just beat the living shit out of the game, and is working on the 120+ stars.

Games completed recently: Dead Island: Riptide, Batman: Arkham Origins, StarCraft 2: Heart of the Swarm, StarCraft 2: Wings of Liberty, Dragon's Crown
    edited May 2008
    urahonky wrote: »
    Galaxy should be purchased by every Wii owner, seriously. It's perfect even for non-gamers (I hate that word). My fiancee just beat the living shit out of the game, and is working on the 120+ stars.

120+?

More than 120? Jesus.

I've only got 1.

BwQ9Ecd.jpg?1
    edited May 2008

120+?

More than 120? Jesus.

I've only got 1.

You scare me. :-/

e: I didn't want to spoil the game. So I just said 120+ stars :)

Games completed recently: Dead Island: Riptide, Batman: Arkham Origins, StarCraft 2: Heart of the Swarm, StarCraft 2: Wings of Liberty, Dragon's Crown
  • ArcSynArcSyn Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    slash000 wrote: »
    I was going to copy & paste my list of recommendations, but, indeed, Arcsyn already linked to it.

Just for the heck of it I'll paste it into this spoiler:

Spoiler:

I keep a bookmark of it for my own personal use. :D Someone will need to inform me if Slash posts an updated list anytime. lol

I almost copied and pasted it, but I figured credit needed to be due for that amount of awesome, so linked it instead.

steam_sig.png
    Backloggery XBox Live: ArcSyn 3DS: 1805-2274-4550 (Jonathan) WiiU NNID: ArcSyn

GIFT GET GIFS
    edited May 2008

120+?

More than 120? Jesus.

I've only got 1.

I can't get off GTAIV! I wish I knew how to quit it.

And every time I start up the Wii, I think about that wall of unlockable stuff in Smash Bros.

BwQ9Ecd.jpg?1
    edited May 2008

120+?

More than 120? Jesus.

I've only got 1.

I can't get off GTAIV! I wish I knew how to quit it.

And every time I start up the Wii, I think about that wall of unlockable stuff in Smash Bros.

HAHAH. Oh man, I know what you mean. :)

edited May 2008
    I keep a bookmark of it for my own personal use. :D Someone will need to inform me if Slash posts an updated list anytime. lol

I almost copied and pasted it, but I figured credit needed to be due for that amount of awesome, so linked it instead.

Heh, thanks. Yeah, I try to keep it updated. I think I'll add a WiiWare subsection to it. I thought about doing one for the VC, but the VC recommendations tend to be extremely varied.

Speaking of the list, I'm going to update it right now. Bloom Blox has been getting some fantastic reviews, and I think I'll add the WiiWare section.

• maximumzeromaximumzero I...wait, what? New Orleans, LARegistered User regular
    edited May 2008
    Battalion Wars 2 is a fun rental, give it a try.

oIi9lub.png
    Favicon.ico maximumzero / KrSaEN3.png 0860-3352-3335 / favicon.png eBay Shop / twitter-bird-16x16.png Twitter
  • Saint JusticeSaint Justice Mercenary Mah-vel Baybee!!!Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    Super Mario Galaxy
    RE4: Wii Edition
    Legend of Zelda: TP
    SSB: Brawl
    MP3: Corruption

All excellent games. Oh and Circuit City has a sale on No More Heroes right now: $20. Great friggin' deal.

Some people play tennis, I erode the human soul. ~ Tycho
  • FiggyFiggy Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    You've already got Boom Blox, so make sure you get your fiance into that. Just give her the remote and have her go through the handful of training missions.

After that, she won't want to put it down.

daniant wrote:
    Alright, looks like I'm giving up golden showers for Lent.
    XBL : Figment3 · SteamID : Figment · Website : www.nathanswyers.com
    edited May 2008
  • TheStigTheStig Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    If you think unlocking stuff in SSBB is bad just wait until you start mario kart.

the-place-beyond-the-pines-03_thumb_zps3d4e0ec7.jpg
    360: Sir Stiggleton PSN: Stiggy_PA GFWL: RacerStig Steam: TheStig
    edited May 2008
    TheStig wrote: »
    If you think unlocking stuff in SSBB is bad just wait until you start mario kart.

How could it possibly be worse than the wall?

EDIT: And trophies? And stickers? And characters?

BwQ9Ecd.jpg?1
  • FiggyFiggy Registered User regular
    edited May 2008

Because in SSBB, the AI simply takes you for a nice seafood dinner and leaves you with the check. In Mario Kart, it then proceeds to upper-cut your head clean off, stand six feet back, and throw a flaming pile of shit down your exposed throat whilst yelling, "Sa-wissssh."
    Spoiler:

daniant wrote:
    Alright, looks like I'm giving up golden showers for Lent.
    XBL : Figment3 · SteamID : Figment · Website : www.nathanswyers.com
  • SoulGateSoulGate Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    lol at all the comments. Yeah, Boom Blox so far is my utmost favorite game. It's just something about tearing down a carefully balanced tower and watch it fall on a pack of cubey(?) bears. I was thinking about Galaxy and No More Heroes, so I might get those two, and I may get endless ocean, despite the gamestop guy looking at me funny when I picked it up. I just want something to relax with, dammit!

steam_sig.png
    edited May 2008
    In addition to the Buy 1, Get 50% off offer, No More Heroes is $20 this week at Circuit City.

oIi9lub.png
    Favicon.ico maximumzero / KrSaEN3.png 0860-3352-3335 / favicon.png eBay Shop / twitter-bird-16x16.png Twitter
    edited May 2008
    Endless Ocean is great, but I wish (WISH!!) that the graphics were a little better. The game would be phenomenal if the Wii had more horsepower. Oh well, it's still a very relaxing game.

• blizzard224blizzard224 Registered User
    edited May 2008
    Ironically the most fun I've had on my Wii is with Mario Party 8, drunken rounds of that game are hilarious - the sheer ridiculousness of it, and how sodding bad the game can be sometimes - we played one map for about 3 hours before we realized that there were no stars to collect, apparently it's just 50 turns of stealing them from each other.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    edited May 2008
    Ironically the most fun I've had on my Wii is with Mario Party 8, drunken rounds of that game are hilarious - the sheer ridiculousness of it, and how sodding bad the game can be sometimes - we played one map for about 3 hours before we realized that there were no stars to collect, apparently it's just 50 turns of stealing them from each other.

Yeah that level is awesome! You're talking about the hotel one right?

edited May 2008
    I think so, yeah. The minigames are what really make if fun though - it's essential that you don't read the instructions, for maximum chaos.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • jothkijothki Registered User regular
    edited May 2008

Nope, has to be the final one.

I actually played through the entire single-player hoping that the Bowser map would redeem the game.

edited May 2008
    jothki wrote: »

Nope, has to be the final one.

I actually played through the entire single-player hoping that the Bowser map would redeem the game.

That's right, the one set in space. The addition of surplus candies in that level made for some very angry people going from 8 stars to 2 in a single round after being stomped on by 3 people brandishing bowser candies.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Joshua368Joshua368 Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    Figgy wrote: »

Because in SSBB, the AI simply takes you for a nice seafood dinner and leaves you with the check. In Mario Kart, it then proceeds to upper-cut your head clean off, stand six feet back, and throw a flaming pile of shit down your exposed throat whilst yelling, "Sa-wissssh."
    Spoiler:

Yeah, in Brawl all the cool stuff (characters and stages) can be unlocked really easily if you have a little extra time and have a guide (hint: just play through SSE). Mario Kart however makes you work for the characters, karts and bikes.

58.png
  • cj iwakuracj iwakura The Rhythm Rogue Coral Springs, FLRegistered User regular
    edited May 2008
    Good, I won't have to make a new thread to ask.

In all likelihood, I'm getting a Wii today for Shikigami 3. (I also plan on getting No More Heroes, and maybe Fire Emblem and/or NiGHTS.)

What do I have to go through to get the online aspects going? I've never used a console online before, and considering the VC, the Wii seems like a good system to start with.

fiV9i14.jpg
    蒼く咲く華 日は灯り 天に流れる | Kill The Past
  • SagrothSagroth Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    Zack and Wiki

3DS Code: 5155-3087-0800
    edited May 2008
    cj iwakura wrote: »
    Good, I won't have to make a new thread to ask.

In all likelihood, I'm getting a Wii today for Shikigami 3. (I also plan on getting No More Heroes, and maybe Fire Emblem and/or NiGHTS.)

What do I have to go through to get the online aspects going? I've never used a console online before, and considering the VC, the Wii seems like a good system to start with.
    You basically just need a broadband internet connection and a compatible wireless router. The Wii has built-in WiFi capabilities, so as long as you get a wireless router or already have one, you should be set. Most any of them work fine, as long as you don't pick one of these.

edited May 2008
    Alternatively to buying/having a wireless router, you can also get the little USB wireless dongles that Nintendo sells for $35; but at that price, you can also get a decent wireless router anyway.

As a third alternative, Nintendo sells hardwire USB dongles to connect the Wii to hardwire ethernet connections and/or routers.

• UltaruneUltarune Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    This is a bit off-topic, but this is the closest thing to a main wii thread we have on the first page. I've recently seen these little strap locks for wiimotes that keep you from having to adjust your strap every 20 seconds, which seems brilliant. Did Nintendo ever offer a free giveaway of these like they did with the sturdier straps and the wiimote condoms, or am I shit out of luck?