As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Ikariam: Burning the World, one kitty at a time

• Options
    maturinmaturin Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    I have 2 potential targets I want to hit. One has no military but with 34 ballista ships... any recommendations on what to use to take them out? I can make up to catapult ships right now.

The 2nd one has 50 slingers. Would just 30-40 swordsman take them out or would be easier to take a more varied force? I can make steam giants. Can't do gyros yet.

maturin on
    Danes have the DONG ENERGY !
    tomblag
    19,48 / Gulf of Blag / Sulfur
    10,40 / Blager Fjord / Marble
    14,45 / Blaget Sound / Wine
    12,53 / Blaga Bay / Crystal
    25,42 / Blagoon Cove / Marble
  • Options
    ScooterScooter Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    Failed attacks don't count for bashing, right?

Scooter on
  • Options
    KarennaKarenna Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    maturin wrote: »
    Yea, it can be done. I'm 69 and I don't have a 6th city. I think most of my score is due to research and trade ships. I have spent pretty much all my gold on trade ships. I have 67 ships now, and it costs 842k for 68. I think karenna might have more than me though.

Actually, I only have 50 trade ships...I spend most of my ill-gotten gold on more sulfur to fuel my blood thirst.

Works pretty well too: just cracked another guy open today for 27 boatloads Hazn@28:24
    Scooter wrote: »

Correct

Karenna on
    389eb5ab62e67d83.png
  • Options
    juice for jesusjuice for jesus Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    I have 55 trade ships after my big haul yesterday :) Spent it all in anticipation of backlash that never really materialized.

Downside is, my military has ballooned to the point that my income is now -20k/hour, so I have to raid more than ever before.

juice for jesus on
  • Options
    edited June 2008
    I have 55 trade ships after my big haul yesterday :) Spent it all in anticipation of backlash that never really materialized.

Downside is, my military has ballooned to the point that my income is now -20k/hour, so I have to raid more than ever before.

How big are your towns? I can't stress enough how useful it is to have L20+ town halls (and stable maxed populations). I have a 400K mil score and I'm still positive cash flow!

Karenna on
    389eb5ab62e67d83.png
  • Options
    BaidolBaidol I will hold him off Escape while you canRegistered User regular
    edited June 2008
    Karenna wrote: »

Correct

In order for this to be true, I believe there is a stipulation saying that, not only must the attack fail, but the attacking force must be completely obliterated.

Baidol on
    Steam Overwatch: Baidol#1957
  • Options
    skarsolskarsol Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    We're moving up!

BRO (yes, all of BRO) has officially requested a Mutual Defense Pact. Thoughts? Do we wanna be BROs bully boys? :)

Also, Aldo, braddley is begging for a cessation of hostilities. I demanded poetry.

skarsol on
    why are you smelling it?
  • Options
    DarklyreDarklyre Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    So I hit this guy a few times, and he gets the bright idea to retaliate against me by sending two attacking waves of 20 units each.

I have 20 ballistas and 10 fire ships in that harbor.

Along with 40 phalanxes, 10 swordsmen, 5 steam giants, a cook, and a doctor.

What in the name of Christ was he thinking?

skarsol wrote: »
    We're moving up!

BRO (yes, all of BRO) has officially requested a Mutual Defense Pact. Thoughts? Do we wanna be BROs bully boys? :)

Also, Aldo, braddley is begging for a cessation of hostilities. I demanded poetry.

I wouldn't mind a MDP with BRO. At the very least, it'll remove the iffyness on whether to attack a BRO target or not.

And the thought of being known as the militant psychos of a coalition of traders amuses me.

Darklyre on
  • Options
    edited June 2008
    Our motto is not "Burn the world except for the other strong parts"

I demand burning of all the world

Scooter on
  • Options
    edited June 2008
    Karenna wrote: »

How big are your towns? I can't stress enough how useful it is to have L20+ town halls (and stable maxed populations). I have a 400K mil score and I'm still positive cash flow!

Yeah, my towns are only 15-16 right now. My military score is 343,000 now, so I've massively overbuilt, but I felt I needed extra protection if I was going to pick on some players in big alliances.

IMO a peace treaty with anyone would be against the spirit of "burn the world". And would close off a lot of great pillage opportunities.

juice for jesus on
  • Options
    PiptheFairPiptheFair Frequently not in boats. Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    Allying ourselves with BRO would pretty much allow us to ruin anybody and everybody else without opposition. Sometimes you have to make nice with the big guy to wind up on top.

PiptheFair on
  • Options
    Romantic UndeadRomantic Undead Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    PiptheFair wrote: »
    Allying ourselves with BRO would pretty much allow us to ruin anybody and everybody else without opposition. Sometimes you have to make nice with the big guy to wind up on top.

Use BRO to burn the rest of the world until a time comes where we can turn around and burn BRO too?

Romantic Undead on
    3DS FC: 1547-5210-6531
  • Options
    devoirdevoir Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    That would be hilarious. Do it when occupation comes in.

devoir on
  • Options
    TyrantCowTyrantCow Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    We're moving up!

Umm... yeah, as long we can still pillage their players/colonies that we can easily break.

What I'm saying here, is we should ally with them, as far as... they won't attack us; but, we can farm them without impunity.

TyrantCow on
  • Options
    edited June 2008
    BRO and every other big alliance is a bunch of city-sim/traders. I don't think there's another alliance on Beta that is actively hostile to other players. Look at every alliance page and it says "We resolve disputes through diplomacy but we will retaliate when blah blah". Look at BRO7, aka "Dark Army Alliance". Sounds badass, right? But look further and you find:
    Our goals are simple: prosperity, equality, and justice for all our allies. We are not looking for battles, but we will bring war upon those who demand it.

7. A member should not attack another player unless provoked. (more to come)

juice for jesus on
  • Options
    edited June 2008
    TyrantCow wrote: »
    We're moving up!

Umm... yeah, as long we can still pillage their players/colonies that we can easily break.

What I'm saying here, is we should ally with them, as far as... they won't attack us; but, we can farm them without impunity.

Excellent! /laughs manically /slams metal fist on table kittyz meows in surprise /strokes kittyz to calm kittyz

maturin on
    tomblag
  • Options
    TyrantCowTyrantCow Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    BRO and every other big alliance is a bunch of city-sim/traders. I don't think there's another alliance on Beta that is actively hostile to other players. Look at every alliance page and it says "We resolve disputes through diplomacy but we will retaliate when blah blah". Look at BRO7, aka "Dark Army Alliance". Sounds badass, right? But look further and you find:
    Our goals are simple: prosperity, equality, and justice for all our allies. We are not looking for battles, but we will bring war upon those who demand it.

7. A member should not attack another player unless provoked. (more to come)

I'm kind of inclined to believe that if these huge alliances had any sort of organization they would be raping face whenever they felt endangered or "disrespected". Fact is, they don't. *about to sound really elitist, even though I'm not a largely contributing factor to the alliance* They take anybody off the street, thus, they have a high score through a large number of mediocre players. So, they may look like they have a lot of weight to throw around; but, they don't have the slightest idea on how to get it moving.

So, I say, ally with them as far as it benefits us. If they wish to be delusional and believe we will be passive when we can destroy them, let them.

We may not be the greatest to play; but, just through following the forum thread and the in-game messaging... We are not fools. We are fully capable of performing to the maximum the game will allow us - I don't believe that about BRO or U_N.

edit- perhaps it would an alliance would benefit us, giving us a chance to cherry-pick their good players.

TyrantCow on
  • Options
    edited June 2008
    Exactly. I absolutely savaged one of U_N's members yesterday, and all they could muster was one puny attempt at a blockade, and a second, even weaker, blockade that was called off a full day before it would have reached me. Some random dude with a <10k score did better.

juice for jesus on
  • Options
    edited June 2008
    I'd be all for an alliance if it was understood that we would pay no attention to it whatsoever

Scooter on
  • Options
    VazusVazus Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    How about they don't attack us and for ten of us that are not attacked they get one? Sounds fair to me.

Vazus on
  • Options
    BurtletoyBurtletoy Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    Kalkino wrote: »
    Baidol - I don't think those WOW role players like you very much

This is from their realm forum, originally linked by Darian:

There's this guy on a crystal island who's town is named Serene, who has attacked Druu a couple times before and I pounded him into the ground, and now he is attacking someone else in the alliance, so me and Druu are sending Steam Giants to blow his face open and blockade his harbor.

And I just found out that the guy is sending an army to attack me back..but I still have Steam Giants back home. Who would be stupid enough to just send all their guys in an attack? XD

This. This was me. Druu is in the clan CenCi and I've attacked him and his clan mates numerous times. My town used to be named Serene. Why didn't they attack me? This is bullshit! I want to be attacked by steam giants.

:(

Edit: Ugh, I had a spy in Druu's capital that arrived last night. This is my first time noticing. He has 5 phalanxes and 13 Steam Giants in his capital. No fleet. Guess I'll attack him again and try to remind him who I am and which city Serene used to be.

Burtletoy on
  • Options
    edited June 2008
    I'd be all for an alliance if it was understood that we would pay no attention to it whatsoever

Burtletoy on
  • Options
    hmxmosshmxmoss Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    So I sent out a blockade and a raiding party, won both the sea and land battle... 23 cargo ships sailed off to pick up goods.

Now, the only thing I can see is the blockade via the military panel. Can't see the raiding troops returning. Can't see my cargo ships. WTF??!?!

Bug?

EDIT: Now, suddenly, all my cargo ships are available? What about the lootz? And the troopz?

hmxmoss on
    burning.jpg
  • Options
    edited June 2008
    hmxmoss wrote: »
    So I sent out a blockade and a raiding party, won both the sea and land battle... 23 cargo ships sailed off to pick up goods.

Now, the only thing I can see is the blockade via the military panel. Can't see the raiding troops returning. Can't see my cargo ships. WTF??!?!

Bug?

EDIT: Now, suddenly, all my cargo ships are available? What about the lootz? And the troopz?

I haven't had any problems tonight. Maybe your browser is lagged? Are you using firefox 3? reset your cache lately?

Also Sometimes battle reports can get combined if your troops arrived at the same. What did/does it say on your trade ship screen, and what does it report on your town info panel?

maturin on
    tomblag
  • Options
    TamorlaneTamorlane Gnnr The Halls of MontezumaRegistered User regular
    edited June 2008

I'm kind of inclined to believe that if these huge alliances had any sort of organization they would be raping face whenever they felt endangered or "disrespected". Fact is, they don't. *about to sound really elitist, even though I'm not a largely contributing factor to the alliance* They take anybody off the street, thus, they have a high score through a large number of mediocre players. So, they may look like they have a lot of weight to throw around; but, they don't have the slightest idea on how to get it moving.

It is apparent that most of these alliances either do not understand the combat mechanics enough or lack the communication to stage effective combined attacks and staggered assaults. Twice now these two BoS morons near me have sent joint attacks that have failed (one sends ships, the other sends troops, but never at the right time). Of course, more than half of their members have no idea what an alliance means, and just joined to get the tag in the hopes that others would stop farming them....

Instead of being known as the militant pit bull on BRO's leash, we should be offering them our rather *unique* membership quality control services....

Tamorlane on
  • Options
    edited June 2008

Bug?

I haven't had any problems tonight. Maybe your browser is lagged? Are you using firefox 3? reset your cache lately?

Also Sometimes battle reports can get combined if your troops arrived at the same. What did/does it say on your trade ship screen, and what does it report on your town info panel?

It's almost certainly on their end. Sometimes stuff just teleports around for no particular reason. Once it happened to me, sent troops 5 hours out to pillage, they found someone already attacking it, so after a while of hesitation they all decided to teleport back to base without even stepping off the boats.

Scooter on
  • Options
    DarianDarian Yellow Wizard The PitRegistered User regular
    edited June 2008
    We're moving up!

I thought BRO didn't do Mutual Defense Pacts; they say in their announcement/recruitment thread that they only accept non-aggression pacts with anyone outside of BRO.

Or is it BRO3 that you are talking with? They're apparently leaving the main BRO alliance.

Either way, I don't think they would really WANT a MDP with us; we make enemies too quickly. :)

Edit:
    swazz on the forums says:
    We of BRO do not agree to any Mutual Defense Pact unless it is with another BRO.
    However, BRO3 did agree to mutual defense pacts with other alliances. The most BRO will directly do with any other alliance is an NAP or non-aggression pact. This means we will never attack each other.

Darian on
  • Options
    KalkinoKalkino Buttons Londres Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    Darian wrote: »
    We're moving up!

I thought BRO didn't do Mutual Defense Pacts; they say in their announcement/recruitment thread that they only accept non-aggression pacts with anyone outside of BRO.

Or is it BRO3 that you are talking with? They're apparently leaving the main BRO alliance.

Either way, I don't think they would really WANT a MDP with us; we make enemies too quickly. :)

What does Eddy think about this? Is it worth us having a MDP with one/some of the BRO alliances?

Kalkino on
    Freedom for the Northern Isles!
  • Options
    edited June 2008
    Tamorlane wrote: »

It is apparent that most of these alliances either do not understand the combat mechanics enough or lack the communication to stage effective combined attacks and staggered assaults. Twice now these two BoS morons near me have sent joint attacks that have failed (one sends ships, the other sends troops, but never at the right time). Of course, more than half of their members have no idea what an alliance means, and just joined to get the tag in the hopes that others would stop farming them....

Instead of being known as the militant pit bull on BRO's leash, we should be offering them our rather *unique* membership quality control services....

I concur. What are our real goals? Do we want to become subservient to some pacifist version of the Borg, or do we really want to make a name for ourselves?

Too bad there's no way to pay other players for services, or I'd say we should work as mercenaries to the highest bidder.

Karenna on
    389eb5ab62e67d83.png
  • Options
    edited June 2008
    Merc hire is allowed under game rules

Kalkino on
  • Options
    edited June 2008
    Holy Lord! I just went through an epic 11 round battle! (The loot took all my ships !!68 ships! !!!! I can't even do follow ups yet...) <
    Elation !

Edit: sigh I'm tired... I had 2 attacks mass together (36 boat hauls )aint bad tho :| <
    Depression ....

maturin on
    tomblag
  • Options
    hmxmosshmxmoss Registered User regular
    edited June 2008

Bug?

It's almost certainly on their end. Sometimes stuff just teleports around for no particular reason. Once it happened to me, sent troops 5 hours out to pillage, they found someone already attacking it, so after a while of hesitation they all decided to teleport back to base without even stepping off the boats.

I think that's basically it... I think I have everything back now...

The way I timed things, the raiders got there first -- over land -- before the blockade, and the trade ships were right behind the blockade. As soon as the trade ships arrived, this got wonky, but then shortly later, things seemed back to normal. Future raids, with the blockade already in place, worked. (There was a sea battle when the blockade first arrived, so maybe that's where things went wrong.)

Oh well... I got some of his stuff, which he didn't seem to want:

omswocan7.jpg

hmxmoss on
    burning.jpg
  • Options
    skarsolskarsol Registered User regular
    edited June 2008

Edit:
    swazz on the forums says:
    We of BRO do not agree to any Mutual Defense Pact unless it is with another BRO.
    However, BRO3 did agree to mutual defense pacts with other alliances. The most BRO will directly do with any other alliance is an NAP or non-aggression pact. This means we will never attack each other.

Swazz is the one making the offer:
    Swazz from the alliance Brotherhood sends the following message: Hello I was wondering if you would like to sighn a Mutual Defense pact with the entire BRO union? (BRO, BRO4, BRO5 and BRO7)

skarsol on
    why are you smelling it?
  • Options
    edited June 2008
    Are these pacts just verbal agreements or does it take away pillaging like for alliances?

maturin on
    tomblag
  • Options
    DarianDarian Yellow Wizard The PitRegistered User regular
    edited June 2008
    I am not in favor of the Mutual defense pact; it is meaningless from our perspective. Any wars that do start, we'd be considered the aggressor because of our playstyle, so BRO would refuse to support us on those grounds or on the grounds that they are "too far" from the action.

And no one would actually initiate a real war against BRO, so I don't see that helping much, either.

What I would suggest is that you offer mercenary services from us to them:
    If they need someone attacked that they cannot reach easily, then for a reasonable fee (say, 100x the level of the city we are attacking, in the respondant's choice of resources (200x for wood), + costs for units lost; for fleet actions, 200x the level of the city + costs), we will defeat the defenses at the city. Note that additional costs would be incurred if the target decides to do things like shuffle units around, or if they call for a total destruction of the targets military (reduction to 0 units requires multiple attacks). Any pillage taken is the property of the respondant, but will deduct from the costs for units lost (does NOT count toward the basic fee).

Note: feel free to raise the price for services to something more reasonable, if you think we should, or to include their paying for the gold deployment cost as part of the costs.
    Edit: Should costs be based on the target's city level, their score, their general score, or negotiated on a case-by-case basis?

Edit: I wonder if we should go into the diplomacy threads and make a formal offer for mercenary services, along these lines. If we DO go into mercenary work, I think we should also require a premium if the purchaser wants anonymity; otherwise, we would report the account name or alliance who sponsored the attack if the target contacts us to ask about it.

Darian on
  • Options
    edited June 2008
    I would be against a MDP with BRO for the reasons stated above plus I get the feeling a lot of TBO/VTBO are gunning for BRO and there is some dissent within the ranks - So it is possible a war may break out soon and it would be better for us to sit outside such a war unless we actually want to start one.

Kalkino on
  • Options
    edited June 2008
    So JoyVille, my 100k gold target, has apparently gotten a bit angry at me for attacking him about 6 times a day for .6mil gold. He currently has 105 Archers in his town. That is a lot of archers that will be targeting me (I believe) rather shortly. He has no fleet/navy. Meh.

I'm upping my capital to 60 phalanxes. To go with 10 steam giants, ~80 swordsmen, 3 cooks, 2 doctors, 25 archers and 20 gunsmen. I think I've got him covered.

Burtletoy on
  • Options
    edited June 2008
    Note: feel free to raise the price for services to something more reasonable, if you think we should, or to include their paying for the gold deployment cost as part of the costs.
    Edit: Should costs be based on the target's city level, their score, their general score, or negotiated on a case-by-case basis?

Edit: I wonder if we should go into the diplomacy threads and make a formal offer for mercenary services, along these lines. If we DO go into mercenary work, I think we should also require a premium if the purchaser wants anonymity; otherwise, we would report the account name or alliance who sponsored the attack if the target contacts us to ask about it.

Since I now know that you can do merc services, I'm all for it! We should definitely post a formal thread in the diplomacy forum for that.

As to cost, basing it off mil level makes more sense to me. Make it a tiered approach like 0-50K, 50K-100K etc. I also think we should always give the victim the name of the sponsor, so they have someone else to get pissed at...it would suck to have that guy come back later and wang us for someone else's grudge!

Karenna on
    389eb5ab62e67d83.png
  • Options
    edited June 2008
    I've just asked for a clarification as to whether or not we can hire out as an alliance. There shouldn't be, based on my reading of the rules, but you never know with these guys

Kalkino on
  • Options
    devoirdevoir Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    What the fuck is wrong with these stupid people?

I'm being attacked by a little twerp with a total score of under 2k.

He also managed to send me a blank diplomatic message 12 hours before the attack.

Anyone near EPA, if you feel like beating up the colony of COLOSSEUM TM, run by maximus, on 93:58 please feel free. I don't particularly feel like building up an offensive force again.

His military score is 19k, he has 37 units on the way to attack one of my wine colonies.

devoir on