As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Taskbar freezes in XP - Help!

PemulisPemulis Registered User regular
Hi all, I'm running Windows XP and for no apparent reason my taskbar keeps freezing!

By this I mean I can't switch windows using the taskbar, or access the start menu. Desktop shortcuts still work and I can Alt+Tab between windows just fine. The cpu usage doesn't increase and any open program works fine. Just the taskbar is useless and has graphical glitches, much like when a program freezes - I can see the desktop instead of the system tray, etc.

It doesn't seem to be tied to the running of any particular program, and I have tried paring down the startup programs and services. This PC is always connected to the internet and I just updated the NIC driver too.

My google searches for help haven't panned out so I'm hoping you guys will come to the rescue. Thanks!

Pemulis on

• El GuacoEl Guaco Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    That's interesting. I don't know how to fix it for good, but the Windows shell can be restarted which will probably at least remove your glitch until it occurs again.

Open the task manager and kill the process "explorer.exe". Open the Run menu (windows key & R), or choose File->New Task in task manager, and type "explorer.exe" which will give you a new shell.

It's possible your windows install has become corrupted somehow. Maybe a fresh install is in order?

El Guaco on
  • PemulisPemulis Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    Yeah, that does work to reboot the shell, I was hoping there would be some way to prevent it without a reinstall.

Pemulis on
  • GrimReaperGrimReaper Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    Processes can attach to the explorer shell, you may want to run hijackthis and post the log.

It may be a virus or spyware.

Also, you may want to consider installing service pack 3.

GrimReaper on
    PSN | Steam
    ---
    I've got a spare copy of Portal, if anyone wants it message me.
    edited May 2008
    GrimReaper wrote: »
    Processes can attach to the explorer shell, you may want to run hijackthis and post the log.

I have SP3 installed (I was also hoping this would fix it). I ran adaware and NAV, and everything was clean, but I'll run hijackthis tomorrow and post the log.

Pemulis on
    edited May 2008
    Pemulis wrote: »

I have SP3 installed (I was also hoping this would fix it). I ran adaware and NAV, and everything was clean, but I'll run hijackthis tomorrow and post the log.

Adaware and Norton Antivirus only pickup known stuff, hijackthis merely lists everything in things like registry startup. It doesn't tell you whether something is good or bad.

It requires you determine what is bad, for me it's pretty easy to determine what is bad. Hence requesting you post your hijackthis log.

Also, Norton Antivirus is a piece of junk. I highly suggest you get decent antivirus software.

GrimReaper on
    PSN | Steam
    ---
    edited May 2008

Also, Norton Antivirus is a piece of junk. I highly suggest you get decent antivirus software.

Any suggestions? I get NAV for free through school, so that's always worked for me.

Pemulis on
    edited May 2008

Any suggestions? I get NAV for free through school, so that's always worked for me.

Just about anything is better to be honest, everyone has their own preferences. You've got Avast, AVG, Antivir.. I think there have been posts here in the past which queried for the best antivirus software, so you may want to do a forum search for those.

I myself use AVG, however.. I personally suggest you fire up the webatron on google and do some searches for antivirus comparisons etc. And pick which is best for you, you may just want to go for ones that offer free versions.

For example in this comparison antivir came out on top and there is a free version of antivir available. I personally have never used it so I can't comment.

But you get the idea, google for comparisons.. hopefully others here will add to this on their views on AV software.

GrimReaper on
    PSN | Steam
    ---
    edited May 2008
    Here is my HijackThis log. Thanks in advance!
    Logfile of HijackThis v1.99.1
    Scan saved at 10:48:11 AM, on 5/15/2008
    Platform: Windows XP SP3 (WinNT 5.01.2600)
    MSIE: Internet Explorer v6.00 SP3 (6.00.2900.5512)

Running processes:
    C:\WINDOWS\System32\smss.exe
    C:\WINDOWS\system32\winlogon.exe
    C:\WINDOWS\system32\services.exe
    C:\WINDOWS\system32\lsass.exe
    C:\WINDOWS\system32\svchost.exe
    C:\WINDOWS\System32\svchost.exe
    C:\WINDOWS\system32\svchost.exe
    C:\WINDOWS\system32\spoolsv.exe
    C:\Program Files\Common Files\Microsoft Shared\VS7DEBUG\mdm.exe
    C:\WINDOWS\system32\nvsvc32.exe
    C:\WINDOWS\Explorer.EXE
    C:\Program Files\Microsoft IntelliPoint\ipoint.exe
    D:\Microsoft Office 2007\Office12\GrooveMonitor.exe
    C:\Program Files\Java\jre1.6.0_05\bin\jusched.exe
    C:\WINDOWS\system32\ctfmon.exe
    C:\WINDOWS\system32\wuauclt.exe
    C:\Program Files\HijackThis\HijackThis.exe

R1 - HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Internet Connection Wizard,ShellNext = http://windowsupdate.microsoft.com/
    O2 - BHO: Adobe PDF Reader Link Helper - {06849E9F-C8D7-4D59-B87D-784B7D6BE0B3} - D:\Adobe\Acrobat Pro 7.0\ActiveX\AcroIEHelper.dll
    O2 - BHO: Groove GFS Browser Helper - {72853161-30C5-4D22-B7F9-0BBC1D38A37E} - D:\Microsoft Office 2007\Office12\GrooveShellExtensions.dll
    O2 - BHO: SSVHelper Class - {761497BB-D6F0-462C-B6EB-D4DAF1D92D43} - C:\Program Files\Java\jre1.6.0_05\bin\ssv.dll
    O2 - BHO: Adobe PDF Conversion Toolbar Helper - {AE7CD045-E861-484f-8273-0445EE161910} - D:\Adobe\Acrobat Pro 7.0\Acrobat\AcroIEFavClient.dll
    O3 - Toolbar: Adobe PDF - {47833539-D0C5-4125-9FA8-0819E2EAAC93} - D:\Adobe\Acrobat Pro 7.0\Acrobat\AcroIEFavClient.dll
    O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [IntelliPoint] "C:\Program Files\Microsoft IntelliPoint\ipoint.exe"
    O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [GrooveMonitor] "D:\Microsoft Office 2007\Office12\GrooveMonitor.exe"
    O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [SunJavaUpdateSched] "C:\Program Files\Java\jre1.6.0_05\bin\jusched.exe"
    O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [MSConfig] C:\WINDOWS\PCHealth\HelpCtr\Binaries\MSConfig.exe /auto
    O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [NvCplDaemon] RUNDLL32.EXE C:\WINDOWS\system32\NvCpl.dll,NvStartup
    O4 - HKCU\..\Run: [ctfmon.exe] C:\WINDOWS\system32\ctfmon.exe
    O8 - Extra context menu item: Convert link target to Adobe PDF - res://D:\Adobe\Acrobat Pro 7.0\Acrobat\AcroIEFavClient.dll/AcroIECapture.html
    O8 - Extra context menu item: Convert link target to existing PDF - res://D:\Adobe\Acrobat Pro 7.0\Acrobat\AcroIEFavClient.dll/AcroIEAppend.html
    O8 - Extra context menu item: Convert selected links to Adobe PDF - res://D:\Adobe\Acrobat Pro 7.0\Acrobat\AcroIEFavClient.dll/AcroIECaptureSelLinks.html
    O8 - Extra context menu item: Convert selected links to existing PDF - res://D:\Adobe\Acrobat Pro 7.0\Acrobat\AcroIEFavClient.dll/AcroIEAppendSelLinks.html
    O8 - Extra context menu item: Convert selection to Adobe PDF - res://D:\Adobe\Acrobat Pro 7.0\Acrobat\AcroIEFavClient.dll/AcroIECapture.html
    O8 - Extra context menu item: Convert selection to existing PDF - res://D:\Adobe\Acrobat Pro 7.0\Acrobat\AcroIEFavClient.dll/AcroIEAppend.html
    O8 - Extra context menu item: Convert to Adobe PDF - res://D:\Adobe\Acrobat Pro 7.0\Acrobat\AcroIEFavClient.dll/AcroIECapture.html
    O8 - Extra context menu item: Convert to existing PDF - res://D:\Adobe\Acrobat Pro 7.0\Acrobat\AcroIEFavClient.dll/AcroIEAppend.html
    O8 - Extra context menu item: E&xport to Microsoft Excel - res://D:\MICROS~1\Office12\EXCEL.EXE/3000
    O9 - Extra button: (no name) - {08B0E5C0-4FCB-11CF-AAA5-00401C608501} - C:\Program Files\Java\jre1.6.0_05\bin\ssv.dll
    O9 - Extra 'Tools' menuitem: Sun Java Console - {08B0E5C0-4FCB-11CF-AAA5-00401C608501} - C:\Program Files\Java\jre1.6.0_05\bin\ssv.dll
    O9 - Extra button: Send to OneNote - {2670000A-7350-4f3c-8081-5663EE0C6C49} - D:\MICROS~1\Office12\ONBttnIE.dll
    O9 - Extra 'Tools' menuitem: S&end to OneNote - {2670000A-7350-4f3c-8081-5663EE0C6C49} - D:\MICROS~1\Office12\ONBttnIE.dll
    O9 - Extra button: Research - {92780B25-18CC-41C8-B9BE-3C9C571A8263} - D:\MICROS~1\Office12\REFIEBAR.DLL
    O9 - Extra button: (no name) - {e2e2dd38-d088-4134-82b7-f2ba38496583} - %windir%\Network Diagnostic\xpnetdiag.exe (file missing)
    O9 - Extra 'Tools' menuitem: @xpsp3res.dll,-20001 - {e2e2dd38-d088-4134-82b7-f2ba38496583} - %windir%\Network Diagnostic\xpnetdiag.exe (file missing)
    O9 - Extra button: Messenger - {FB5F1910-F110-11d2-BB9E-00C04F795683} - C:\Program Files\Messenger\msmsgs.exe
    O9 - Extra 'Tools' menuitem: Windows Messenger - {FB5F1910-F110-11d2-BB9E-00C04F795683} - C:\Program Files\Messenger\msmsgs.exe
    O16 - DPF: {6414512B-B978-451D-A0D8-FCFDF33E833C} (WUWebControl Class) - http://www.update.microsoft.com/windowsupdate/v6/V5Controls/en/x86/client/wuweb_site.cab?1190908791525
    O16 - DPF: {6E32070A-766D-4EE6-879C-DC1FA91D2FC3} (MUWebControl Class) - http://www.update.microsoft.com/microsoftupdate/v6/V5Controls/en/x86/client/muweb_site.cab?1191167142436
    O17 - HKLM\System\CCS\Services\Tcpip\Parameters: Domain = snip
    O17 - HKLM\System\CCS\Services\Tcpip\..\{99F54E35-41B1-4E82-BF93-33B3C3B7573C}: Domain = snip
    O17 - HKLM\System\CCS\Services\Tcpip\..\{99F54E35-41B1-4E82-BF93-33B3C3B7573C}: NameServer = 128.104.182.249,144.92.12.24
    O17 - HKLM\System\CS1\Services\Tcpip\Parameters: Domain = snip
    O18 - Protocol: grooveLocalGWS - {88FED34C-F0CA-4636-A375-3CB6248B04CD} - D:\Microsoft Office 2007\Office12\GrooveSystemServices.dll
    O18 - Protocol: ms-help - {314111C7-A502-11D2-BBCA-00C04F8EC294} - C:\Program Files\Common Files\Microsoft Shared\Help\hxds.dll
    O18 - Protocol: skype4com - {FFC8B962-9B40-4DFF-9458-1830C7DD7F5D} - C:\PROGRA~1\COMMON~1\Skype\SKYPE4~1.DLL
    O18 - Filter hijack: text/xml - {807563E5-5146-11D5-A672-00B0D022E945} - C:\PROGRA~1\COMMON~1\MICROS~1\OFFICE12\MSOXMLMF.DLL
    O20 - Winlogon Notify: dimsntfy - %SystemRoot%\System32\dimsntfy.dll (file missing)
    O20 - Winlogon Notify: NavLogon - C:\WINDOWS\
    O21 - SSODL: WPDShServiceObj - {AAA288BA-9A4C-45B0-95D7-94D524869DB5} - C:\WINDOWS\system32\WPDShServiceObj.dll
    O23 - Service: NVIDIA Display Driver Service (NVSvc) - NVIDIA Corporation - C:\WINDOWS\system32\nvsvc32.exe

Edit: Grim do you use the free version of AVG? It seems to rate pretty well.

Edit2: It looks like there are a couple of missing files, I wonder if that would slow things down.

Pemulis on
    edited May 2008
    I don't really see much there that stands out as a possible virus, is it just explorer that has problems?

It could be your machines memory.

Have you made sure to update not only all your drivers, but your programs too?

Also, how long have you been having this problem?

It's definitely odd with those missing files, i'm on my mac at the moment but what i'll do is when I get back to my pc i'll copy those missing files and put them up to download for you. You can try and see if copying those helps things.

EDIT: Okay, i've compressed the files to a zip file. Download here.

Copy xpnetdiag.exe to %windir%\Network Diagnostic\, go to run in the start menu and type in %windir%\Network Diagnostic\, it will open up that directory.

Same thing with dimsntfy.dll, copy it to %SystemRoot%\System32\. These files are from my install of Windows XP Professional SP3.

The locations anyway will probably be C:\WINDOWS\network diagnostic and C:\WINDOWS\system32.

If anything goes pear shaped boot into safe mode and delete them. If that fails then use the XP cd recovery option.

Oh, and I use AVG Pro. (costs me about £20 for 2 years iirc.. it's actually up for renewel.. I might just go with AVG free)

GrimReaper on
    PSN | Steam
    ---
    edited May 2008
    Cool thanks, I'll give those files a shot tomorrow.

I've been having this problem for a few weeks now, but it didn't coincide with any programs or updates I installed.

There is only 1GB of RAM on this machine, but the problem started suddenly and there aren't any processes taking up an ususual amount of RAM so I don't know. Hopefully replacing those missing files helps...

Also, if it comes to it I'll try reinstalling XP, it's just weird this problem seemed to start from nothing.

Pemulis on
    edited May 2008
    Well, I should have done this before, but I went to copy those files you uploaded and they are already there. I have no idea why it says file missing for them. :(

Pemulis on
    edited May 2008
    Well, I should have done this before, but I went to copy those files you uploaded and they are already there. I have no idea why it says file missing for them. :(

Are they the same size and version? If you have SP3 then they should be identical.

GrimReaper on
    PSN | Steam
    ---
    edited May 2008

Are they the same size and version? If you have SP3 then they should be identical.

They are indeed the same size and version. I even tried swapping them with yours anyway and got the same log.

Pemulis on
    edited May 2008

They are indeed the same size and version. I even tried swapping them with yours anyway and got the same log.

Quite bizarre, you could run msconfig and disable (untick) almost all startup items like Office groovemonitor thing. See if that does anything. (if the problem doesn't occur then you enable them one by one and see what causes the problem)

In these situations I would normally offer to have a look at the pc remotely using remote assistance, but since you're in America it isn't very practical, time differences and all.

GrimReaper on
    PSN | Steam
    ---
    edited May 2008
    Well one issue is that it happens very erratically. It might happen 5 times in one day, then I might go 3-4 days without a problem.

When I've searched on google for this problem, it seems like for a lot of people it is tied to their network connection. We just (yesterday) a had our network connection upgraded from 10 to 100Mbit/s and should be getting 1Gbit/s within a couple of months. I haven't had this problem since the upgrade, so who knows? I have quite a few mapped network drives, so maybe when I would lose a connection to one this would occur? This is all just speculation on my part.

I appreciate the offer of remote assistance, but this is a quasi-work computer so I wouldn't feel completely comfortable with that and, as you said, the time difference makes things difficult. I do appreciate all of your suggestions though!

Perhaps this network upgrade will fix the problem, if so I'll let you know.

Pemulis on
    edited May 2008
    What network card is it?

GrimReaper on
    PSN | Steam
    ---
    edited May 2008
    Control panel says: Broadcom NetXtreme Gigabit Ethernet

Pemulis on