As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Search function works again!

RankenphileRankenphile Passersby were amazedby the unusually large amounts of blood.Registered User, Moderator mod
Praise be to Alpha!

Man, seriously, dinner at Pax is on me, you name the night.

8406wWN.png
Rankenphile on

• Options
    DeusfauxDeusfaux Registered User regular
    edited May 2006
    holy shit

now commence whining that its not in the same place as it used to be

Deusfaux on
  • Options
    SmasherSmasher Starting to get dizzy Registered User regular
    edited May 2006
    Oh sweet jesus

Smasher on
  • Options
    ÄlphämönkëyÄlphämönkëy Registered User regular
    edited May 2006
    :wink:

Älphämönkëy on
  • Options
    contrabandcontraband Registered User regular
    edited May 2006
    Smasher wrote:
    Oh sweet jesus
    the searching

the searching

contraband on
    sigxw0.jpg
  • Options
    RankenphileRankenphile Passersby were amazed by the unusually large amounts of blood.Registered User, Moderator mod
    edited May 2006

No, seriously. Name the place and the night, dinner is on me.

You don't even have to go there with me. Bring me the bill, I'll reimburse you.

Although if you wanna hang, that's cool too.

Rankenphile on
    8406wWN.png
  • Options
    RankenphileRankenphile Passersby were amazed by the unusually large amounts of blood.Registered User, Moderator mod
    edited May 2006
    Also, does the search go back beyond just today? I was searching for a G&T thread about Interstate 76, and can't seem to find it, but it did not seem that the search went back too far. Does it index old content, or just new stuff?

Rankenphile on
    8406wWN.png
  • Options
    HenroidHenroid Mexican kicked from Immigration Thread Centrism is Racism :3Registered User regular
    edited May 2006
    What the fuck? I don't remember it being there!

obligatory

Thanks Alpha, this confirms our forum being healthy! \o/

Henroid on
  • Options
    edited May 2006
    The search function only returns messages that haven't been pruned (Threads are pruned when they haven't been posted in for a certain amount of time). I don't remember what G&T's prune time is and I'm too lazy to look atm, but I don't think it's much more than a week, if that.

Smasher on
  • Options
    FyreWulffFyreWulff YouRegistered User, ClubPA regular
    edited May 2006
    I think alpha (i remember talking with him about this on IRC) ended up deciding not to re-index old posts. So posts after it got re-instated are searchable, anything before that is not.

FyreWulff on
  • Options
    ForarForar #432 Toronto, Ontario, CanadaRegistered User regular
    edited May 2006
    HOLY SHIT!

YES, OH GOD YES!

Oh, how I missed you, little Search feature. Let me count the ways!

Forar on
    First they came for the Muslims, and we said NOT TODAY, MOTHERFUCKER!
  • Options
    HamjuHamju Registered User regular
    edited May 2006
    HUZZAH!!!

I think everyone who missed Search or who doesn't miss those 500 Errors should buy Alpha a drink. Or food. Or both.

Hamju on
    kekekesigshortercuzthinsacunt.jpg
  • Options
    Mr. Yos MannMr. Yos Mann Registered User regular
    edited June 2006
    Now I can search for cocks, dicks and lols in the chat thread.

Mr. Yos Mann on
    shinichiropot2.gif
  • Options
    edited June 2006
    Nope, just dicks. Cock and lol have been disabled from the search because they get said too often.

Smasher on
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] regular
    edited June 2006
    The user and all related content has been deleted.

[Deleted User] on
  • Options
    edited June 2006
    I can see your posts through your profile... try that if you haven't.

Smasher on
  • Options
    jothkijothki Registered User regular
    edited June 2006
    I can search for my own posts fine, but I can't seem to jump directly to them, just see the threads I've posted in.

jothki on
  • Options
    tynictynic PICNIC BADASS Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited June 2006
    jothki wrote:
    I can search for my own posts fine, but I can't seem to jump directly to them, just see the threads I've posted in.

check down the bottom left of the search function - do you have 'posts' or 'threads' enabled? If you've got the 'threads' button enabled, you won't be able to jump directly to your posts.

tynic on
  • Options
    edited June 2006

No, seriously. Name the place and the night, dinner is on me.

You don't even have to go there with me. Bring me the bill, I'll reimburse you.

Although if you wanna hang, that's cool too.
    I'm not sure if Robert has me booked every night. If I am, then we'll have some form of a forumer lunch at PAX. Thanks though :wink:

Älphämönkëy on
  • Options
    edited June 2006
    Also, does the search go back beyond just today? I was searching for a G&T thread about Interstate 76, and can't seem to find it, but it did not seem that the search went back too far. Does it index old content, or just new stuff?
    Goes just since I enabled it. Reindexing old posts would take the forums offline for ~5 hours

Älphämönkëy on
  • Options
    edited June 2006
    FyreWulff wrote:
    I think alpha (i remember talking with him about this on IRC) ended up deciding not to re-index old posts. So posts after it got re-instated are searchable, anything before that is not.
    Bingo.

Älphämönkëy on
  • Options
    edited June 2006
    that's what I figured. Thanks, Alpha.

Rankenphile on
    8406wWN.png
  • Options
    jothkijothki Registered User regular
    edited June 2006
    tynic wrote:
    jothki wrote:

check down the bottom left of the search function - do you have 'posts' or 'threads' enabled? If you've got the 'threads' button enabled, you won't be able to jump directly to your posts.

Yeah, that works completely fine if I'm doing a regular search. The egosearch is automatically set to search for threads, though. I seem to remember the old egosearch displaying threads but still letting you directly jump to your last post somehow.

jothki on
  • Options
    edited June 2006
    Interesting... if I "search by author" for my name, I end up with 39 pages of results, but only 21 of the pages have any content at all, the rest are just empty search results pages.

Rankenphile on
    8406wWN.png
  • Options
    Just_Bri_ThanksJust_Bri_Thanks Seething with rage from a handbasket.Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited June 2006
    Good job, ye of the many of hats.

Just_Bri_Thanks on
    ...and when you are done with that; take a folding
    chair to Creation and then suplex the Void.