Our new Indie Games subforum is now open for business in G&T. Go and check it out, you might land a code for a free game. If you're developing an indie game and want to post about it, follow these directions. If you don't, he'll break your legs! Hahaha! Seriously though.
Our rules have been updated and given their own forum. Go and look at them! They are nice, and there may be new ones that you didn't know about! Hooray for rules! Hooray for The System! Hooray for Conforming!

The Podcasters Present: Get Your Gay Off My Plane, Mister

2

Posts

  • Sunday_AssassinSunday_Assassin Registered User
    edited May 2008
    ...I was sure it was a joke OP too o_O

  • WillethWilleth Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    I'm fairly sure it's still a joke.

    @vgreminders - Don't miss out on timed events in gaming!
    @gamefacts - Totally and utterly true gaming facts on the regular!
  • RookRook Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    So, is it funny that the opening post about someone getting their name banned because it has to be taken out of context, deliberately doesn't include the context of why the name was banned?
    Microsoft, when contacted, referred us to Xbox Live team member Stephen Toulouse's personal site which explains the Live terms of use in detail. Toulouse writes that the gamertag is in violation of implied "sexual innuendo", one of the many forms of disallowed "content of a sexual nature." Toulouse expands:

    We recieved a complaint on the Gamertag and determined that it did indeed contain sexual innuendo. Now granted, there could be an argument that the text is not pejorative to homosexuality and should therefore be allowed. But there is no context to explain that. Gamertags are visible to everyone and it would be hard for me to defend to a parent of a young child who saw it that the name did not contain content of a sexual nature.

    Toulouse clarifies that "yes 'TheStraighterGamer' or 'TheHeterosexualgamer' would have gotten the same treatment and would have been found to be in violation and forced to be changed," adding that gamertags along those lines have been banned in the past. The entire post is definitely worth a full read.

  • SparrowSparrow Registered User
    edited May 2008
    Pancake wrote: »
    One time I wanted to change my gamertag and didn't know what to change it to so I asked Live to give me suggestions that were similar to this name I have here.

    It suggested "Snatchy Hotcakes."

    The OXbox suggested "Pickledbeef"

    I found it too funny to pass up.

    EDIT: Wow, typed my gamertag into google in the hopes of finding some interesting pictures and it turns out theres tons of "pickledbeefs" on the net. Shame, I thought my GT was unique.

    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • DirtyDirty Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    I know this is going to make me sound like a total prick, but I am a total prick, so I'm okay with it. Its not like Microsoft is "oppressing" just any social group here, but rather, a social group that is largely defined by who they like to fuck.

  • HalibutHalibut Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    Djiem wrote: »
    Their service, their rules.
    Also, why would anyone call themselves theGAYERgamer, especially if they were actually gay (and if they weren't I don't see the problem with banning the name).
    There are cases when the little man must stand against injustice, like with the MEPC 10-day bullshit that was actually pulled back, but this here isn't it.
    Because not all homosexuals are in the closet? Because maybe that person defines himself by those two characteristics: being gay and being a gamer. I guess I just don't get the whole "especially if they were actually gay" bit. The idea that you shouldn't tell anyone that you are gay is one of the major reasons why homosexuals are still treated like second class citizens.

  • The_SpaniardThe_Spaniard Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    Dirty wrote: »
    I know this is going to make me sound like a total prick, but I am a total prick, so I'm okay with it. Its not like Microsoft is "oppressing" just any social group here, but rather, a social group that is largely defined by who they like to fuck.
    Way to make it sound like being gay is some sort of hobby.

    Xbox 360/One Gamertag: SpanWolf - PS3/PS4 Gamertag: Span_Wolf
    3DS: Span_Wolf - 4854-6434-9883/WiiU:Span_Wolf
    Steam: http://steamcommunity.com/id/Span_Wolf/ - Origin: Span_Wolf
  • KrunkMcGrunkKrunkMcGrunk Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    LewieP wrote: »
    Wait, why is this thread "The Podcasters Present"?

    Because we will be using our considerable clout as a popular podcast to bring attention to this issue. This weekend we will be recording a special episode dedicated to the injustice theGAYESTgamer has suffered at the hands of Microsoft.

    Also, for everyone else out there without a podcast or website you can add FriendOfGaymers to your XBL friends list. This not only shows your support for the cause but Friday and Saturday we will be holding a protest on XBL at 8pm EST. This is primetime for the service and will ensure that people notice us. Sending a friend request to FriendOfGaymers will net you an invite as we organize the protests.

    You guys are taking this way too seriously.

    I don't know you. But from reading your scant couple of posts in this thread, it seems like you're just looking for an excuse to burn Microsoft.

    mrsatansig.png
  • KrunkMcGrunkKrunkMcGrunk Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    Djiem wrote: »
    Their service, their rules.
    Also, why would anyone call themselves theGAYERgamer, especially if they were actually gay (and if they weren't I don't see the problem with banning the name).
    There are cases when the little man must stand against injustice, like with the MEPC 10-day bullshit that was actually pulled back, but this here isn't it.

    I'm a little late, but this thread (and your post) made me think of this video:

    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m6TzAKOaWxg

    Explanation from "xxxGayboyxxx":
    Spoiler:

    mrsatansig.png
  • DirtyDirty Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    Halibut wrote: »
    Djiem wrote: »
    Their service, their rules.
    Also, why would anyone call themselves theGAYERgamer, especially if they were actually gay (and if they weren't I don't see the problem with banning the name).
    There are cases when the little man must stand against injustice, like with the MEPC 10-day bullshit that was actually pulled back, but this here isn't it.
    Because not all homosexuals are in the closet? Because maybe that person defines himself by those two characteristics: being gay and being a gamer. I guess I just don't get the whole "especially if they were actually gay" bit. The idea that you shouldn't tell anyone that you are gay is one of the major reasons why homosexuals are still treated like second class citizens.

    Its not that I think gay people shouldn't be allowed to tell anyone they're gay. But its all about the context of which you do it. This is more of a general thing, and not specific to the gamertag thing, but when I'm getting to know someone for the first time (be it a co-worker, classmate, whatever), and I ask them to tell me a little about themselves, and the first thing they mention is that they're gay, that bothers me. I'm not offended by their being gay, but I feel like they're doing themselves a great disservice, because it says, "The most important and interesting thing about me is my sexual orientation." It would be like me starting off with, "Well, I like to have sex with women, ... "

    I just don't think anyone needs to go out of their way to point out their sexual orientation. Saying, "I'm gay," just to get it out there? Pointless and kind of tacky. Introducing me to your same-sex partner? Perfectly acceptable. Mentioning you're a lesbian when I'm trying to hit on you? Relevant and appreciated.

  • DacDac Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    Obviously what this means is we should ban all people with the name Richard, because a typical shorthand of the name is 'Dick'.

    While we're at it, let's ban all reference to body parts, clothes on body parts, food that may be applied to body parts, people that can interact with said body parts, any self-references because it invites fantasy of your identity and, thus, body parts, etc. etc.


  • KrunkMcGrunkKrunkMcGrunk Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    Djiem wrote: »
    Their service, their rules.
    Also, why would anyone call themselves theGAYERgamer, especially if they were actually gay (and if they weren't I don't see the problem with banning the name).
    There are cases when the little man must stand against injustice, like with the MEPC 10-day bullshit that was actually pulled back, but this here isn't it.

    I'm a little late, but this thread (and your post) made me think of this video:

    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m6TzAKOaWxg

    Explanation from "xxxGayboyxxx":
    Spoiler:

    BOTP'd

    mrsatansig.png
  • DjiemDjiem Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    So, um, just because I don't think it's NEEDED to know that the guy's gay in his gamertag means I'm homophobic, or did I misinterpret?

    Soon, anyone who's not homosexual will be considered homophobic. The point is what Dirty said, there is no NEED to put GAYER in your username (go check the definition of NEED and you'll know I'm right no matter how much you might want to spin it). It's not that it's bad, it's just not needed there. And to MS, it is not right, apparently. So they ban the word. Well, ok, that's fine. It's not like they don't have the right to.

  • DirtyDirty Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    Dirty wrote: »
    I know this is going to make me sound like a total prick, but I am a total prick, so I'm okay with it. Its not like Microsoft is "oppressing" just any social group here, but rather, a social group that is largely defined by who they like to fuck.
    Way to make it sound like being gay is some sort of hobby.

    Hey, I knew I'd come off like a prick. It doesn't change the fact that the criteria for being part of this group is directly tied to who you have sexual relationships with.

    As far as I'm concerned, being attracted to people of the same gender is no different than being attracted to redheads, or liking Hispanic girls. Its just a personal preference of what type of person you're attracted to. Its not something that should define who you are.

  • DacDac Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    No but seriously. You guys DO know that 'gay' doesn't just mean homosexual, right?

    Right?

    Please tell me you do.


  • KrunkMcGrunkKrunkMcGrunk Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    Djiem wrote: »
    So, um, just because I don't think it's NEEDED to know that the guy's gay in his gamertag means I'm homophobic, or did I misinterpret?

    Soon, anyone who's not homosexual will be considered homophobic. The point is what Dirty said, there is no NEED to put GAYER in your username (go check the definition of NEED and you'll know I'm right no matter how much you might want to spin it). It's not that it's bad, it's just not needed there. And to MS, it is not right, apparently. So they ban the word. Well, ok, that's fine. It's not like they don't have the right to.

    No, no. You misunderstand. I'm not saying that about you. Your post just made me think of it.

    I think if the guy wants to put "heyimgay" as his gamer tag, he has claim to it. It's not really hurting anyone else. But, on the same hand, Microsoft has a right to deny anyone. It's their private service that you're using. When you're in someone else's house, you follow their rules.

    mrsatansig.png
  • FanciestWalnutFanciestWalnut Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    Man, what a fag!

  • DirtyDirty Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    Dac wrote: »
    No but seriously. You guys DO know that 'gay' doesn't just mean homosexual, right?

    Right?

    Please tell me you do.

    You are aware that languages evolve over time, and that only an incredibly small percentage of people still associate the word "gay" with its original definition, right?

    Right?

    Please tell me you're not that naive.

  • Captain KCaptain K Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    Hey guys, this thread seems to be at the point where it's either going to:


    -get back on track and remain a (relatively) intelligent discussion

    or

    -devolve into unbridled idiocy


    I bet you can guess which one I'd rather see!

  • The_SpaniardThe_Spaniard Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    Dirty wrote: »
    Dirty wrote: »
    I know this is going to make me sound like a total prick, but I am a total prick, so I'm okay with it. Its not like Microsoft is "oppressing" just any social group here, but rather, a social group that is largely defined by who they like to fuck.
    Way to make it sound like being gay is some sort of hobby.

    Hey, I knew I'd come off like a prick. It doesn't change the fact that the criteria for being part of this group is directly tied to who you have sexual relationships with.

    As far as I'm concerned, being attracted to people of the same gender is no different than being attracted to redheads, or liking Hispanic girls. Its just a personal preference of what type of person you're attracted to. Its not something that should define who you are.
    *Facepalm*

    Xbox 360/One Gamertag: SpanWolf - PS3/PS4 Gamertag: Span_Wolf
    3DS: Span_Wolf - 4854-6434-9883/WiiU:Span_Wolf
    Steam: http://steamcommunity.com/id/Span_Wolf/ - Origin: Span_Wolf
  • DacDac Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    Dirty wrote: »
    Dac wrote: »
    No but seriously. You guys DO know that 'gay' doesn't just mean homosexual, right?

    Right?

    Please tell me you do.

    You are aware that languages evolve over time, and that only an incredibly small percentage of people still associate the word "gay" with its original definition, right?

    Right?

    Please tell me you're not that naive.

    You seem to be missing the point. It's not unusual for it to be used in its other connotation.

    If 'gay' only meant 'homosexual' absolutely, then I'd have no problem with Microsoft getting rid of it. But this makes it look like they're getting rid of anything that remotely has an association with sexuality period.


  • RedDawnRedDawn Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    That is exactly what they are doing. They have a right to do that, it is their service.
    Your use of the Service is subject to the Code of Conduct. You also agree not to do any of the following while being connected to the Service:
    .....
    -Create a Gamertag or use text other profile fields that may offend other members. This includes comments that look, sound like, stand for, hint at, abbreviate, or insinuate any of the following: profane words/phrases, sexually explicit language, sexual innuendo, hate speech (including but not limited to racial, ethnic, or religious slurs), illegal drugs/controlled substances, or illegal activities.

  • DjiemDjiem Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    Ah, ok, Krunk. I thought you weren't talking about me specifically, because I an not in fact homophobic, but you know, with the Internet you never know.

    Re: The video, well, that sucks, but then again, he was playing Halo. It's not right, but it's to be expected. Also, as he said, not everybody made a comment out of hate. Many were making jokes, which he did take as such. The problem is that (I'M NOT SAYING IT'S OK TO BE HOMOPHOBIC) he's inviting the homophobia by outputting his homosexuality so much. Had he been a gay person with a non-gay username, he wouldn't have gotten all these comments, and yet he's still the same person.

    I'm sure many of the homophobic commenters weren't even actual homophobes but just taking the bait of his name.

  • DacDac Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    Oh sure, it's their right.

    But it was also someone's right to turn black people away from restaurants just because they were black, or to force them to move to the back of the bus.


  • DjiemDjiem Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    Dac wrote: »
    Oh sure, it's their right.

    But it was also someone's right to turn black people away from restaurants just because they were black, or to force them to move to the back of the bus.

    Uh, no, this is discrimination and wouldn't fly today. The TOS of Live doesn't discriminate.

  • KrunkMcGrunkKrunkMcGrunk Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    Djiem wrote: »
    Ah, ok, Krunk. I thought you weren't talking about me specifically, because I an not in fact homophobic, but you know, with the Internet you never know.

    Re: The video, well, that sucks, but then again, he was playing Halo. It's not right, but it's to be expected. Also, as he said, not everybody made a comment out of hate. Many were making jokes, which he did take as such. The problem is that (I'M NOT SAYING IT'S OK TO BE HOMOPHOBIC) he's inviting the homophobia by outputting his homosexuality so much. Had he been a gay person with a non-gay username, he wouldn't have gotten all these comments, and yet he's still the same person.

    I'm sure many of the homophobic commenters weren't even actual homophobes but just taking the bait of his name.

    I feel like he shouldn't have to be subjected to homophobia even if he proclaims he's gay every chance he gets. You're right, he is inviting homophobia. But I don't feel like that excuses those people for being homophobic. The fact of the matter is, if someone tells you that they're gay, that doesn't give you free reign to persecute them about being gay.

    mrsatansig.png
  • The_SpaniardThe_Spaniard Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    RedDawn wrote: »
    That is exactly what they are doing. They have a right to do that, it is their service.
    Your use of the Service is subject to the Code of Conduct. You also agree not to do any of the following while being connected to the Service:
    .....
    -Create a Gamertag or use text other profile fields that may offend other members. This includes comments that look, sound like, stand for, hint at, abbreviate, or insinuate any of the following: profane words/phrases, sexually explicit language, sexual innuendo, hate speech (including but not limited to racial, ethnic, or religious slurs), illegal drugs/controlled substances, or illegal activities.
    Since when is your sexual identity classified as innuendo, I'm offended by the very notion that flatly stating your sexuality is equal to potentially offensive sexual innuendo or racial slur.

    Xbox 360/One Gamertag: SpanWolf - PS3/PS4 Gamertag: Span_Wolf
    3DS: Span_Wolf - 4854-6434-9883/WiiU:Span_Wolf
    Steam: http://steamcommunity.com/id/Span_Wolf/ - Origin: Span_Wolf
  • DirtyDirty Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    RE: Comparing this to segregation: No one is forcing gay people off the service. You just can't have a sexual name. That applies to sexual orientation. Ya know, the orientation being sexual and all.

    RE: Gay's other definition: Just because a word has another meaning doesn't protect it. It has more to do with the general accepted meaning of the word. Stop a hundred people on the street and ask them what "gay" means. According to your logic, "I_Sell_Cock" would be an acceptable name, because the person in question could be in the poultry business.

    RE: My own, supposedly inappropriate comments: My whole point was that sexual orientation is nothing to be ashamed of, but conversation about it requires the proper context. Discussing ANYTHING of a sexual nature requires proper context. Your gamertag is not the place for that conversation.

  • DirtyDirty Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    Since when is your sexual identity classified as innuendo, I'm offended by the very notion that flatly stating your sexuality is equal to potentially offensive sexual innuendo.

    Why does anyone need to discuss their sexuality on XBL? What purpose would it serve?

  • The_SpaniardThe_Spaniard Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    Dirty wrote: »
    Since when is your sexual identity classified as innuendo, I'm offended by the very notion that flatly stating your sexuality is equal to potentially offensive sexual innuendo.

    Why does anyone need to discuss their sexuality on XBL? What purpose would it serve?
    SN of your choice =/= discussion of sexuality.

    Xbox 360/One Gamertag: SpanWolf - PS3/PS4 Gamertag: Span_Wolf
    3DS: Span_Wolf - 4854-6434-9883/WiiU:Span_Wolf
    Steam: http://steamcommunity.com/id/Span_Wolf/ - Origin: Span_Wolf
  • DroolDrool Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    Rook wrote: »
    So, is it funny that the opening post about someone getting their name banned because it has to be taken out of context, deliberately doesn't include the context of why the name was banned?
    Microsoft, when contacted, referred us to Xbox Live team member Stephen Toulouse's personal site which explains the Live terms of use in detail. Toulouse writes that the gamertag is in violation of implied "sexual innuendo", one of the many forms of disallowed "content of a sexual nature." Toulouse expands:

    We recieved a complaint on the Gamertag and determined that it did indeed contain sexual innuendo. Now granted, there could be an argument that the text is not pejorative to homosexuality and should therefore be allowed. But there is no context to explain that. Gamertags are visible to everyone and it would be hard for me to defend to a parent of a young child who saw it that the name did not contain content of a sexual nature.

    Toulouse clarifies that "yes 'TheStraighterGamer' or 'TheHeterosexualgamer' would have gotten the same treatment and would have been found to be in violation and forced to be changed," adding that gamertags along those lines have been banned in the past. The entire post is definitely worth a full read.


    No one commented on this, but the guy pretty much took care of this thread when you read his reasoning about the lack of context for a gamertag.

  • DjiemDjiem Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    Djiem wrote: »
    Ah, ok, Krunk. I thought you weren't talking about me specifically, because I an not in fact homophobic, but you know, with the Internet you never know.

    Re: The video, well, that sucks, but then again, he was playing Halo. It's not right, but it's to be expected. Also, as he said, not everybody made a comment out of hate. Many were making jokes, which he did take as such. The problem is that (I'M NOT SAYING IT'S OK TO BE HOMOPHOBIC) he's inviting the homophobia by outputting his homosexuality so much. Had he been a gay person with a non-gay username, he wouldn't have gotten all these comments, and yet he's still the same person.

    I'm sure many of the homophobic commenters weren't even actual homophobes but just taking the bait of his name.

    I feel like he shouldn't have to be subjected to homophobia even if he proclaims he's gay every chance he gets. You're right, he is inviting homophobia. But I don't feel like that excuses those people for being homophobic. The fact of the matter is, if someone tells you that they're gay, that doesn't give you free reign to persecute them about being gay.

    Oh, agreed. As I specified in my post, I'm not saying it's right, but everyone knows that homophobia is rampant in our society (from actual homophobes to people who aren't really homophobes but still make quick gay burns once in a while), and that he should expect it when he's proclaiming he's gay.

    Also, personally, in my opinion, a name like theGAYERgamer is just stupid. Is your sexual orientation (something you don't control) really the defining part of your persona? Why advertise it? I don't advertise that I'm not gay. I don't start every convo with: By the way I'm straight.

  • DirtyDirty Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    Dirty wrote: »
    Since when is your sexual identity classified as innuendo, I'm offended by the very notion that flatly stating your sexuality is equal to potentially offensive sexual innuendo.

    Why does anyone need to discuss their sexuality on XBL? What purpose would it serve?
    SN of your choice =/= discussion of sexuality.

    Allow me to rephrase. Why does anyone need to state their sexuality on XBL?

    Now it would be a completely different scenario if you were playing COD4, and before leaving the game, you say something like, "Gotta go guys, my boyfriend is bugging me to let him have the TV for a while." And then the next day, you find out you've been banned for making inappropriate sexual comments. Then I would be crying foul along with the rest of you.

    Someone should create and use a gamertag that blatantly refers to a heterosexual orientation and see if its treated differently.

  • TubeTube Says some shit Administrator, ClubPA admin
    edited May 2008
    Dirty wrote: »
    Dirty wrote: »
    I know this is going to make me sound like a total prick, but I am a total prick, so I'm okay with it. Its not like Microsoft is "oppressing" just any social group here, but rather, a social group that is largely defined by who they like to fuck.
    Way to make it sound like being gay is some sort of hobby.

    Hey, I knew I'd come off like a prick. It doesn't change the fact that the criteria for being part of this group is directly tied to who you have sexual relationships with.

    As far as I'm concerned, being attracted to people of the same gender is no different than being attracted to redheads, or liking Hispanic girls. Its just a personal preference of what type of person you're attracted to. Its not something that should define who you are.

    I think the large societal difference here is that a tragically small number of redhead lovers are beaten to death behind pickup trucks for their aforementioned affection for gingers.

  • DirtyDirty Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    Dirty wrote: »
    Dirty wrote: »
    I know this is going to make me sound like a total prick, but I am a total prick, so I'm okay with it. Its not like Microsoft is "oppressing" just any social group here, but rather, a social group that is largely defined by who they like to fuck.
    Way to make it sound like being gay is some sort of hobby.

    Hey, I knew I'd come off like a prick. It doesn't change the fact that the criteria for being part of this group is directly tied to who you have sexual relationships with.

    As far as I'm concerned, being attracted to people of the same gender is no different than being attracted to redheads, or liking Hispanic girls. Its just a personal preference of what type of person you're attracted to. Its not something that should define who you are.

    I think the large societal difference here is that a tragically small number of redhead lovers are beaten to death behind pickup trucks for their aforementioned affection for gingers.

    The world full of ignorant and hateful people.

  • RedDawnRedDawn Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    Drool wrote: »
    Rook wrote: »
    So, is it funny that the opening post about someone getting their name banned because it has to be taken out of context, deliberately doesn't include the context of why the name was banned?
    Microsoft, when contacted, referred us to Xbox Live team member Stephen Toulouse's personal site which explains the Live terms of use in detail. Toulouse writes that the gamertag is in violation of implied "sexual innuendo", one of the many forms of disallowed "content of a sexual nature." Toulouse expands:

    We recieved a complaint on the Gamertag and determined that it did indeed contain sexual innuendo. Now granted, there could be an argument that the text is not pejorative to homosexuality and should therefore be allowed. But there is no context to explain that. Gamertags are visible to everyone and it would be hard for me to defend to a parent of a young child who saw it that the name did not contain content of a sexual nature.

    Toulouse clarifies that "yes 'TheStraighterGamer' or 'TheHeterosexualgamer' would have gotten the same treatment and would have been found to be in violation and forced to be changed," adding that gamertags along those lines have been banned in the past. The entire post is definitely worth a full read.


    No one commented on this, but the guy pretty much took care of this thread when you read his reasoning about the lack of context for a gamertag.

    I obviously couldn't say it better (not sarcasm). I agree with his reasoning.

  • AccualtAccualt Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    Who's to even say if it was a homophobic right winger reporting the name or a sensitive liberal homosexual? I could easily see either side reporting the tag.

  • stranger678stranger678 Registered User
    edited May 2008
    I don't understand the furor, Microsoft doesn't allow statements of sexual identity in their GT system, when brought to their attention they force users to change them. No single group of people is being singled out or treated differently, nobody is allowed to state sexual preference in their gamertag, that's just the way it is.
    Maybe you could bitch that it's a dumb rule, but it's hardly a discriminatory one.

    PASig.jpg
  • schmadsschmads Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    Dirty wrote: »
    Dirty wrote: »
    Dirty wrote: »
    I know this is going to make me sound like a total prick, but I am a total prick, so I'm okay with it. Its not like Microsoft is "oppressing" just any social group here, but rather, a social group that is largely defined by who they like to fuck.
    Way to make it sound like being gay is some sort of hobby.

    Hey, I knew I'd come off like a prick. It doesn't change the fact that the criteria for being part of this group is directly tied to who you have sexual relationships with.

    As far as I'm concerned, being attracted to people of the same gender is no different than being attracted to redheads, or liking Hispanic girls. Its just a personal preference of what type of person you're attracted to. Its not something that should define who you are.

    I think the large societal difference here is that a tragically small number of redhead lovers are beaten to death behind pickup trucks for their aforementioned affection for gingers.

    The world full of ignorant and hateful people.

    In Dirty's defense, I'm sure that the friends I have who are gay would rather be thought of as just having different preferences, rather than being some sort of freaky non-normal people. I don't think it reflects badly upon him for thinking about it that way, but rather if reflects badly upon everyone else for trying to single them out. There are bigots out there against everything, but I'm concerned that allowing their bigotry to control our actions is giving them more power, not less. /opinion

    But that's really outside of this discussion. Microsoft is technically in the right, because it is their private service. I think that they're also generally in the right here, because they have set forth a TOS that attempts to keep any sort of offensiveness from everyone. Since theirs is a service that is meant to appeal to all ages and everyone, it makes sense for them to do this. While I don't find "gayergamer" in any way offensive, I'm sure that my mom, who is a very fervently religious person, would. So, to appeal to everyone, you end up having very restrictive limits on names. Names are only checked when they are reported, so it's not like MS decided to discriminate.

    Battle.net/SC2: Kwisatz.868 | Steam/XBL/PSN/Gamecenter: schmads | BattleTag/D3: Schmads#1144 | Hero Academy & * With Friends: FallenKwisatz | 3DS: 4356-0128-9671
  • SzechuanosaurusSzechuanosaurus Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited May 2008
    I think the reasoning is still open to analyses. TheGAYERgamer doesn't have what I would consider 'content of a sexual nature'. That's like saying the statement "I'm a man" contains content of a sexual nature because it states my sex. Sure, Gay is a sexual orientation rather than just a sex, but it's not sexually explicit like words such as fuck. I'd say that the decision to interpret their ToS in this fashion does border on discrimination which would therefore make the legality of their right to enforce the ToS in this situation circumspect. Just because they then turn round and ban a 'straight' name so they can say 'we discriminate equally' doesn't cut the mustard, especially if you're discriminating against a legally protected demographic - you could ban all the dudes, boys, mans, straights and heteros that you like, but that still doesn't really justify banning just one person's name because it mentions they are gay.

    Aside from all that, it's fucking horrendous that they feel they need to protect children from the fact that gay people exist. Jesus fuck America, what the hell is wrong with you?

2
This discussion has been closed.