As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Red Alert 3

12345679»

• Paradox ControlParadox Control Master MC Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    Daedalus wrote: »
    but... but Einstien had very little to do with developing nuclear weapons; that was pretty much all Oppenheimer.
    Sure, in our time line, but in the Red Alert time line that might not be the case. At any rate that's just what I've seen around the main forums. I haven't seen any real answer from EALA them selves.

To comment on the Empire's Play Style:
    They play a lot like the zerg with no creep. Imagine if you will, The Zerg from SC where they need no creep to build, and where each drone they make out of the Hive can only turn in to the building you selected. So you want a creep colony, you select it out of "the hive" and out comes "a drone" that cost you whatever the creep colony cost is. When you tell "the drone" to "make a building" (aka, deploy) it only turns in to the Creep Colony. Oh, and "the drones" build in 4 seconds, but have varring deploy times based on the building they are turning it in.

The empire is a really fun faction to play. You can easily expand to near by ore nodes super early, because all you have to do is drive your Refinery Nano Pod out to where you want it and deploy it there. The Nano Pods are super week, so if your not paying atention and leave one laying around you could be kissing 2000 credits (more or less depending on the building) goodbye.

But with there ability to fast expand like no other faction, comes with great risk. Because they build in 4 seconds it leaves it vary hard to make units while cranking out nano-pods of great cost. Expanding early can leave you defenseless early on. Currently there T1 base defenses have some kind of range bug from what I've noticed, so it makes it even harder to defend your base with out units for the time being.

They do reword great Micro too. Just last night I hade a swarm of Chopper VX's flying around blowing some crap up. When the Sov player ran in with Migs I flipped the VX's in to Striker mode, which not only ment they couldn't be attacked by the migs, but also ment they were now all Anti-Air units and blew all the Migs out of the sky.

Paradox Control on
    \
  • DaricDaric Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    I just installed this and attempted to play a game but I got crushed really easily.

I don't know what all the units do yet or anything so if anyone wants to play a game with me and let me figure everything out that'd be great.

Daric on
    cc61181c22f23454a304a4f1f0867845044.gif
    edited August 2008
    Man I can't wait till they patch in the replay system. My favorite part about CNC3 and Kanes Wrath was the replay system. The Through the Eyes feature was really cool. See exactly where some one was looking on the map at all times. The commentary system was really cool too. You could record voice over the match, and even draw on the screen. People could watch as you guided them around the play area as the two players fought, showing them things as they happen.

The only down side to all that was that Kanes Wrath and CNC3 were really dull RTS's. In RA3 your going to see much more exciting matches I would hope.

Paradox Control on
    \
  • APZonerunnerAPZonerunner Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    The only down side to all that was that Kanes Wrath and CNC3 were really dull RTS's. In RA3 your going to see much more exciting matches I would hope.

I dunno if you watch C&CTV at all, but some of the top tier matches they show cut down highlights of on Battlecast Primetime are very, very exciting. So exciting in fact that the prospect of RA3 matches played by these people blows my mind.

I urge anyone and everyone here to head to commandandconquer.com and watch a few episodes of Battlecast Primetime - it's the best gaming show I've ever seen.

APZonerunner on
    APZonerunner | RPG Site | UFFSite | The Gaming Vault
    XBL/PSN/Steam: APZonerunner
    edited August 2008

I dunno if you watch C&CTV at all, but some of the top tier matches they show cut down highlights of on Battlecast Primetime are very, very exciting. So exciting in fact that the prospect of RA3 matches played by these people blows my mind.

I urge anyone and everyone here to head to commandandconquer.com and watch a few episodes of Battlecast Primetime - it's the best gaming show I've ever seen.
    Oh I do, I watch them every time there up. I used to be a big consumer of replays over at Gamereplays.org. They have a whole section dedicated to ShoutCasts for CNC3 and KW games. Not so much in KW but in CNC3 all the matches ended up being were Flavor of the Month tactics. For a long time it was GDI vs GDI with fast engi rushes causing players to sell there buildings. They didn't even cap half the time, but the thought of it happening caused a player to sell in reaction.

But hands down EALA has some of the most entertaining and engaging community features of any developer i've seen in a long time. Command School is great and so is BCPT. Me and a friend managed to get a replay up on there one month. It was Chernobyl and Zohar vs two dudes and we ended up winning with the Mind Control Scrin units. It was pretty cool, and getting it on BCPT in the Top 5 was pretty awesome.

Paradox Control on
    \
    edited August 2008
    Yeah, the show is great.. awesome that you were in it!

The KW patch has changed a lot, most of the spam tactics are no longer viable, and this month's Battlecast Primetime kinda reflected that... looking forward to seeing hoe people adapt between this and the next episode.

APZonerunner on
  • TheBogTheBog Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    Daric wrote: »
    I just installed this and attempted to play a game but I got crushed really easily.

I don't know what all the units do yet or anything so if anyone wants to play a game with me and let me figure everything out that'd be great.

There are tons of games out there people make for the sole purpose of learning and messing around. Just browse around.

TheBog on
  • TheCrumblyCrackerTheCrumblyCracker Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    Red October can't come fast enough!

TheCrumblyCracker on
  • zilozilo Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    Daric, if our paths cross I'll jump in a game with you and lob softballs for an hour so you can figure out what's what. I kind of want to try out some of the Allies units I never use, like various IFV combinations and Cryocopters and stuff.

zilo on
    edited August 2008
    What's everybody's name on here? I'd like to add all of you to my friends list and play witcha!

TheBog on
    edited August 2008
    I'll be in custom maps/mods 1 with some friends if anyone wants to play.

APZonerunner on
    edited August 2008
    Somebody start a new OP so we can put player names in it and stuff.

zilo on
  • FoefallerFoefaller Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    I was accually in the very first batch (Username: Foefaller), but I didn't think the rezzing of this thread by pretty much an unknown would have been taken well.

anyway, personal top 5 most awesome things I've done in this game:

5: Chronoshifting a mass of mirage tanks behind the enemy defences (fav Allies strat of RA2)
    4: sneaking pass navies with subs and destroying anything they built on the sea.
    3: Sickle ambush
    2: Beaching Battleships with the Apoc Tanks magnetic harpoon.
    1: Sucking up a bunch of vechicles using the Soviets Magnetic Beam support power, only to send them all back down on top of his base, along with a space station, using another support power.

Foefaller on
    steam_sig.png
  • Dr SnofeldDr Snofeld Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    I'm game for a little 1on1 match for anyone wanting to try out the new tech trees.

Every time I play Soviets the game crashes a couple minutes in, I'd like to try again.

Custom Maps/Mods 1 as usual. Post here if interested.

EDIT: Nevermind, too late now.

Dr Snofeld on
    l4d_sig.png
  • DasUberEdwardDasUberEdward Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    guh want play :(

DasUberEdward on
    steam_sig.png
  • durandal4532durandal4532 Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    Wait, what the hell? This is out? I thought it was going to be released in October!

durandal4532 on
    Take a moment to donate what you can to Critical Resistance and Black Lives Matter.
  • Cynic JesterCynic Jester Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    Beta.

Cynic Jester on
  • durandal4532durandal4532 Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    Oh shit good. I thought I had pulled a Van Winkle.

durandal4532 on
    Take a moment to donate what you can to Critical Resistance and Black Lives Matter.
    edited August 2008
    This game isn't getting nearly enough hype.

TheBog on
    edited August 2008
    TheBog wrote: »
    This game isn't getting nearly enough hype.
    I think the problem is do to the spiteful pro west wood/anti-EA mind set around these games. People will hate this game because "its not RA1" and because "EA is just trying to make money". People like that frustrate me to no end. There people who don't actualy pay any attention to how much EA has changed over the years, and still cling on to this idea that EA is some kind of creative black whole.

I saw an artical on Digg that said "Leaked RA3 beta video of EotRS!!" and the blub under the title said "Video of the Empire of the Rising Sun faction. RA3 looks like it could be just as good as SC2!"

and just about every comment was either something like "EA killing another franchise" or "there ripping off the StarCraft style!" or "Its to fucking cartoony, why should I pay $60 for this!?" or flat out "this looks shitty"

I know that if they played it, they would love it.
    zilo wrote: »
    Somebody start a new OP so we can put player names in it and stuff.
    I will totally make a new thread. Should I PM a mod to have this one locked?

Paradox Control on
    \
    edited August 2008
    Fear not, I'm sure the PR train will leave the station any day now.

Go for it Para. This has gone from a "let's talk about RA3" thread to a Game On + "let's talk about RA3", I'm sure it's worth re-starting.

zilo on
    edited August 2008
    zilo wrote: »
    Fear not, I'm sure the PR train will leave the station any day now.

Go for it Para. This has gone from a "let's talk about RA3" thread to a Game On + "let's talk about RA3", I'm sure it's worth re-starting.
    new thread up!
    http://forums.penny-arcade.com/showthread.php?p=6570806#post6570806

Paradox Control on
    \
This discussion has been closed.