As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Dead Space

• GreenGreen Stick around. I'm full of bad ideas.Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    Chance wrote: »
    Darlan wrote: »
    Is anyone playing it now using an SDTV? I'm a bit worried about the hologram interface being hard to read on my old box of a telly.

I'm on a 27" SD and sometimes I have to put Isaac's back to the wall so the camera comes in closer to the text archives - that's it. Anyway, I'm stuck!
    I believe I'm right outside the first zero g room. I had to move a huge thing that's on a rail to the far side of a room so I could access a lift that takes me to the top of the big... thing. Then I can walk across the big thing, move it again, and cross back to the other side, leaving me outside a door that says something like "zero g therapy". But for the life of me I don't know what this door needs to open it... help me?
    Plasma Cutter on the fusebox next to the door

Green on
  • Magus`Magus` The fun has been DOUBLED! Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    Just got this for 10 dollars (go go trade in of games I no longer plan to play).

Magus` on
  • ChanceChance Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    God, thank you Green. I kenesised and slowed and went up and down that section five times trying to find the item I was sure I need to open that door. TY!

Chance on
    'Chance, you are the best kind of whore.' -Henroid
  • temperature!temperature! Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    Man, I can't decide between this and fable 2. I keep hearing a lot of good things about dead space, but I liked fable a lot. Damn you awesome games, oh damn you to hell!

So my question is, about how long is this game and does it have decent replayability? I don't want to read a review and have anything spoiled

temperature! on
    XBL - Temperature_MD
    PSN - CardboardNine
  • The_SpaniardThe_Spaniard It's never lupines Irvine, CaliforniaRegistered User regular
    edited October 2008
    Man, I can't decide between this and fable 2. I keep hearing a lot of good things about dead space, but I liked fable a lot. Damn you awesome games, oh damn you to hell!

So my question is, about how long is this game and does it have decent replayability? I don't want to read a review and have anything spoiled

Get this, it doesn't make any wild pie in the sky promises like SOME developers do.. *cough*

Anyway the game is between 15 and 25 hours depending on your play style and once you beat the game you get a Game+ option that lets your replay the game with your end game loadout basically making you GOD.

The_Spaniard on
    Playstation/Origin/GoG: Span_Wolf Xbox/uPlay/Bnet: SpanWolf Nintendo: Span_Wolf SW-7097-4917-9392 Steam: http://steamcommunity.com/id/Span_Wolf/
  • brynstarbrynstar Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    So I just played through the first chapter of this...and it does everything I wanted Bioshock to do. I love the inventory system, the overall atmosphere, the seamless transition between levels, and the opening is phenomenal.

Don't get me wrong, I really love Bioshock, but this is like a better version of that game mixed with the combat from RE4.

This is absolutely fantastic guys, I'm so glad I bought it!

EDIT: The opening few minutes are also among the most awesome in gaming, so if you're going to play the game, try not to spoil them by watching a video! I saw a little of it in a video beforehand, and I think it would have floored me even more if I had not.

brynstar on
    Xbox Live: Xander51
    PSN ID : Xander51 Steam ID : Xander51
  • EvangirEvangir Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    God. Dammit.

Bricked, but no red ring. The console starts up every second time I try, but it won't go farther than 2 minutes into the intro cutscene before it freezes (complete with a VERY loud crackling noise through the speakers) and won't move. And I was so pumped to have this game, now that the 3.0.2 patch in WoW clusterfucked my Shaman.

Wonder if I can exchange it for the PS3 version :(

Edit: Woot, cleared my HD cache and everything seems fine. Fucking weird though, I had the same type of graphical glitches in Gears of War right before my 360 redringed the first time. Hmmmmm...

Edit2: Aaaaaand back to fucked. Still no redring. Fucking $120 to fix. GG.

Evangir on
    PSN/XBL/STEAM: Evangir - Starcraft 2: Bulwark.955 - Origin: Bulwark955 - Diablo 3: Bulwark#1478
  • MarioGMarioG Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    Are the obsidian and scorpion suits the highest level suits? Because I went to the store and before I purchased a lvel 2 suit I tried out the DLC suits and noow it says I already have the lvel 2 suits in stock.

MarioG on
    Kay wrote:
    Mario, if Slenderman had a face, I would punch him in it.

Hey, I have a blog! (Actually being updated again!)

3DS: 0860-3240-2604
  • 043043 Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    To anyone who watched the "Creating the Audio" vidoc they posted a while back on the Marketplace:

I just entered that room.

Sweet Jesus, get me outta here.

043 on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • LockeColeLockeCole Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    MarioG wrote: »
    Are the obsidian and scorpion suits the highest level suits? Because I went to the store and before I purchased a lvel 2 suit I tried out the DLC suits and noow it says I already have the lvel 2 suits in stock.

The DLC suits are level 5 suits - which I think is the highest level.

LockeCole on
  • MongerMonger I got the ham stink. Dallas, TXRegistered User regular
    edited October 2008
    That is the densest new game smell that I believe I've ever smelled. This bodes well.

The sun needs to go away faster so I can play it like you're sposta.

Monger on
    edited October 2008
    Monger wrote: »

I've been wondering this whole time if I've been so good at it because there was light outside.

This game isn't one to outright scare me, but rather, I'm uncomfortable the entire goddamn time. Just looking around at the mess left behind by the crew of the Ishimura.

043 on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • BearcatBearcat Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    So I heard this game isn't entirely scary.
    Should I buy this today during my fifteen minute break at Target?
    Is it worth 8 hours of my (minimum waged [8/hour]) labor?

Bearcat on
  • IceyIcey Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    I'm a complete and total pussy when it comes to scary games. FEAR, Doom 3, Ravenholm in Half-Life 2, the haunted house in VTMB: I could play those for maybe 20 minutes at a time before I'd have to shut it off and get away because I was so creeped out.

I don't find this game scary at all. :(

Icey on
    camo_sig2-400.png
  • LockeColeLockeCole Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    043 wrote: »
    Monger wrote: »

I've been wondering this whole time if I've been so good at it because there was light outside.

This game isn't one to outright scare me, but rather, I'm uncomfortable the entire goddamn time. Just looking around at the mess left behind by the crew of the Ishimura.

They avoided Doom 3's problem which way that everywhere that looks like you were going to be jumped, you were - so it became predictable. I wouldn't call the game all that scary, its doing a pretty good job of creeping me out the whole time.

LockeCole on
  • ScottyScotty Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    Alright, I don't think I can wait anymore.
    I've gotta buy this game...but, it's going to cost me Mass Effect and SC4 Premium Edition.

The question is...worth it :?:

Scotty on
  • K7 AvengerK7 Avenger __BANNED USERS regular
    edited October 2008
    Scotty wrote: »
    I've gotta buy this game...but, it's going to cost me Mass Effect and SC4 Premium Edition.

I hated Mass Effect and SC4 disappointed me so full speed ahead captain :^:

K7 Avenger on
    Irish+Assasin+J.png
    edited October 2008
    K7 Avenger wrote: »
    Scotty wrote: »

I hated Mass Effect and SC4 disappointed me so full speed ahead captain :^:

I love Mass Effect and I traded it in towards this anyway.

:^: Go for it.

043 on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • DangerousDangerous Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    LockeCole wrote: »
    Darlan wrote: »
    Is anyone playing it now using an SDTV? I'm a bit worried about the hologram interface being hard to read on my old box of a telly.

I've got an HDTV - but I think you'll probably be fine. Usually games that would give problems in SD are still hard for me to read in HD, and I don't see that here.

Anyone else finding the rifle to be kinda meh? - or is that just my lack of aiming skills - I seem to do better with the standard plasma cutter.

I also find the pulse rifle underwhelming. I haven't experimented with the alternate fire but it seems to me if you're surrounded with it then you're already proper fucked. It takes an entire clip for me to kill most enemies on hard mode. The cutter is my main weapon with ripper used situationally and line cutter saved for swarms and bosses.

I just beat the part where
    You pull the switch to turn the engine back on and a swarm of like 5 guys rush you. I kept running out of bullets and stasis so I had to get creative. I grabbed the pile of exploding canisters by the corpse and node box under the stairs. I piled them along with a few of the fan blades next to the panel, and as soon as the necromorphs started rushing I was tossing my improvised weapons left and right. It was like something out of home alone. :D I managed to beat it though.

Dangerous on
    sig2-2.jpg
  • mastriusmastrius Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    So...all in all, this game a solid buy? Im planning on trading in a good few games for it but I must know beforehand!

mastrius on
    "You're like a kitten! A kitten who doesn't speak Japanese." ~ Juliet Starling
  • JWashkeJWashke Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    Does anyone have any idea how much Ebstop would give me for PS2 Guitar Hero 2 plus 2 guitars. Im getting rid of most the games I dont play anymore and while im going the ebay route for most things, i dont really feel like shipping these and trading them in today would mean i could go pick up dead space.

JWashke on
    steam_sig.png
  • muninnmuninn Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    You know what? I thought that the whole "strategic dismemberment" thing was just a gimmick, but it turns out its hella cool

muninn on
  • GyralGyral Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    Man, I'd love to be playing this game if any of the fucking stores in town had bothered to get it. And, I'm not in some po-dunk one stoplight town. I live in a large college town. I love that Saints Row 2 has been available almost everywhere since Monday evening, yet the one game I want, didn't bother to show up, yet.

Gyral on
    25t9pjnmqicf.jpg
  • mastriusmastrius Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    Gyral wrote: »
    Man, I'd love to be playing this game if any of the fucking stores in town had bothered to get it. And, I'm not in some po-dunk one stoplight town. I live in a large college town. I love that Saints Row 2 has been available almost everywhere since Monday evening, yet the one game I want, didn't bother to show up, yet.

That sucks, and is also rather retarded.

mastrius on
    "You're like a kitten! A kitten who doesn't speak Japanese." ~ Juliet Starling
  • DarlanDarlan Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    Gyral wrote: »
    Ditto here, except it's probably for the better in my case; I have a lot of work I'm supposed to do tonight. Ironically, my old hometown that was out in the middle of nowhere always got games and stuff right on time.

Edit: Whoops, what a wonderful top of the page.

Darlan on
  • HaikiraHaikira UKRegistered User regular
    edited October 2008
    God it sucks to be a survival horror fan in the UK lately. Silent Hill Homecoming delayed until "2009", and Dead Space isn't out until next friday.

Haikira on
    steam_sig.png
    PSN:Hakira__
  • PancakePancake Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    I might just be afraid of everything, but even in broad daylight, parts of this game are extremely nerve wracking.

It's not the scariest game I've ever played, but wearing some headphones with the sound up, the atmosphere is sometimes extremely palpable and the combat is still really fun.

It's like RE4 if it was good and in space. And with a story that wasn't incoherently stupid.

Pancake on
    wAgWt.jpg
  • BeckBeck Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    To be fair, RE4's story is supposed to be really dumb.

I can see how it turns people off, though.

Beck on
    Lucas's Franklin Badge reflected the lightning back!
  • Dr.FunkensteinDr.Funkenstein Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    It must suck to be the people that never played RE4 just because of the story

Dr.Funkenstein on
    TERRORSQUADSIG.gif
  • MiSTieOtakuMiSTieOtaku Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    I betrayed my own plans to play this at night, deciding to play it immediately after getting it in the afternoon. However, the amount of light outside did nothing to change just how terrifying this game is. Man, they really know when to lay into you and when to leave you anxious and waiting for that next moment when the monsters burst in through the walls to tear you apart. I'm still only on Chapter 2, probably pretty close to Chapter 3, but I do have to say that I do not regret buying this.

First girly-man moment:
    This happened at night with the lights off. After reaching the Medical section, I entered a room with dead bodies and blood and all that good stuff, and ended up having to fight two baby necromorphs, and just before the fight was over my cat jumped up onto my lap and then off after I nearly jumped out of my seat, letting out a startled shriek and then pausing in order to catch my breath.

MiSTieOtaku on
    edited October 2008
    So, anyone have any idea what'll happen to my suit if I take my hard drive over to a friend's house?

'cause I assume it's console locked when downloaded -- I'd like it to still be there, and I'm sure as fuck not taking my whole 360.

043 on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • BehemothBehemoth Compulsive Seashell Collector Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    brynstar wrote: »
    So I just played through the first chapter of this...and it does everything I wanted Bioshock to do. I love the inventory system, the overall atmosphere, the seamless transition between levels, and the opening is phenomenal.

Don't get me wrong, I really love Bioshock, but this is like a better version of that game mixed with the combat from RE4.

This is absolutely fantastic guys, I'm so glad I bought it!

EDIT: The opening few minutes are also among the most awesome in gaming, so if you're going to play the game, try not to spoil them by watching a video! I saw a little of it in a video beforehand, and I think it would have floored me even more if I had not.

I didn't see any videos of it beforehand, and the opening was incredible.
    It took me a few seconds before I realized you could move the camera around. This is how you do cutscenes!

Behemoth on
    iQbUbQsZXyt8I.png
  • UselesswarriorUselesswarrior Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    So I decide to hold off on this game, but now I am really tempted. There is just so much stuff coming out that I don't know if I have time to play it all.

Uselesswarrior on
    Hey I made a game, check it out @ http://ifallingrobot.com/. (Or don't, your call)
    edited October 2008
    Speaking of the first cutcscene
    Who else saw Issac's face? I did not expect that. And only a few minutes into the game.

MarioG on
    Kay wrote:

• BehemothBehemoth Compulsive Seashell Collector Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    Who else saw Issac's face? I did not expect that. And only a few minutes into the game.
    Yeah, I thought they would keep it hidden, make it so you can't rotate around and look at it, but nope.

Looks pretty average.

I was surprised at how crappy your suit looks at the beginning, all the promo material had you in the fully armored version.

Behemoth on
    iQbUbQsZXyt8I.png
  • Jean Claude Van CalmJean Claude Van Calm 'sup? Awesome Possum.Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    I wasn't. At first when his helmet was off and his back was turned I figured it'd be some cheesy "You don't get to see it sucka" moment. I guess they realized it's not that big of a deal.

Jean Claude Van Calm on
    PSN: Grimmsy- Xbox Live: Grimmsy
    edited October 2008
    I wasn't. At first when his helmet was off and his back was turned I figured it'd be some cheesy "You don't get to see it sucka" moment. I guess they realized it's not that big of a deal.
    The thing is at first they dont let you see it at first. It is only at the last few second sof the cutscene. I guess it could be considered an easter egg.

MarioG on
    Kay wrote:

edited October 2008
    So I decide to hold off on this game, but now I am really tempted. There is just so much stuff coming out that I don't know if I have time to play it all.

Well, here's the thing. Dead Space is out now, so why not give it at least a rent and spend a week with it?

'Cause next Tuesday, it's LBP.
    And the Tuesday after that is Fallout 3.
    And then... sweet, sweet November 4th and Valkyria Chronicles. Oh Valkyria, how I long for thee...

But yeah, so far Dead Space is pretty damn good (starting chapter 4) now - laters!

Chance on
  • OrganichuOrganichu poops peesRegistered User, Moderator mod
    edited October 2008
    So today was my first day at Gamestop and dang. This game sold fast. I started my shift at 4:00, and there was an entire drawer of it, about 3/4 360, 1/4 PS3. Every last copy was sold by 8:00 when we closed.

Organichu on
    edited October 2008
    The thing is at first they dont let you see it at first. It is only at the last few second sof the cutscene. I guess it could be considered an easter egg.
    What kinda' threw me about it is how he looks so totally nondescript.
    "Can you describe the gentleman, Miss Swan?"
    "He... look-a like-a man."
    And she'd be accurate.

Chance on
This discussion has been closed.