As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Dead Space

• Options
    muninnmuninn Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    Yeah, I was surprised to get some sort of sharpshooter trophy within the first hour of the game... anyone knows whats that about?

muninn on
  • Options
    GanluanGanluan Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    brynstar wrote: »
    Scotty wrote: »
    PS3 or 360..thinking in terms of lack of lag and graphic differences. (if any)

I know that there's a different DLC suit for each, but aside from that, any differences?

I initially thought I'd get the PS3 one since I just got my PS3 and I only have Resistance:FOM for it. (Get my PS3 collection going)

I've bought and played some of both, and the only difference I've found is that the save screen is a little neater on the 360, whereas the PS3 uses the standard system-wide save interface. That's it. It's great on both machines.

The PS3 version has trophies too!

You bought it for both systems? You are hardcore my friend :P

Ganluan on
  • Options
    joshofalltradesjoshofalltrades Class Traitor Smoke-filled roomRegistered User regular
    edited October 2008
    muninn wrote: »
    Yeah, I was surprised to get some sort of sharpshooter trophy within the first hour of the game... anyone knows whats that about?

It's the same deal on the Xbox. You get 5 Achievement points for taking off 30 limbs, or something close.

joshofalltrades on
  • Options
    Alucard6986Alucard6986 xbox: Ubeltanzer swtor: UbelRegistered User regular
    edited October 2008
    Is there a quick button for oxygen cans?

Alucard6986 on
    PSN: Ubeltanzer Blizzard: Ubel#1258
  • Options
    ZzuluZzulu Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    so is this game goodtimes?

Zzulu on
    t5qfc9.jpg
  • Options
    joshofalltradesjoshofalltrades Class Traitor Smoke-filled roomRegistered User regular
    edited October 2008
    Indeed, verily even.

One of the things I don't notice people talking about is how comfortable it feels moving Isaac around. I didn't play RE4 though, and maybe they just modeled it after that.

joshofalltrades on
  • Options
    brynstarbrynstar Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    Ganluan wrote: »

I know that there's a different DLC suit for each, but aside from that, any differences?

I initially thought I'd get the PS3 one since I just got my PS3 and I only have Resistance:FOM for it. (Get my PS3 collection going)

I've bought and played some of both, and the only difference I've found is that the save screen is a little neater on the 360, whereas the PS3 uses the standard system-wide save interface. That's it. It's great on both machines.

Yeah I did. I played a bit of the 360 version and liked it so much that I went and canceled my Bioshock PS3 pre-order and bought Dead Space again instead. I already played Bioshock last year, and I was going to play it again on PS3 since I like it quite a bit, but I decided I'd rather play this again instead.

brynstar on
    Xbox Live: Xander51
    PSN ID : Xander51 Steam ID : Xander51
  • Options
    edited October 2008
    Some of us can't afford one new release out of the smorgasbord of new stuff right now and you can blow your wad on the same one twice?

I don't know whether to hate you or salute you.

joshofalltrades on
  • Options
    edited October 2008
    Indeed, verily even.

One of the things I don't notice people talking about is how comfortable it feels moving Isaac around. I didn't play RE4 though, and maybe they just modeled it after that.

Actually he's more mobile than Leon, being that you can strafe, even if you can't do a quick turn.

Alucard6986 on
  • Options
    FawstFawst The road to awe.Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    Wow. I had no idea this was out yet. I'm such a doofus. Dammit, I want!!!

Fawst on
  • Options
    edited October 2008
    It's definitely exceeded my expectations. I mean when you get to the bridge....

just....

wow

Alucard6986 on
  • Options
    bikkibikkibobikkibikkibo Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    Picked a copy up at lunch yesterday at best buy (super cute girl keeps drawing me in). Initially I had a hard time choosing between PC and PS3 but iI went with PS3. Gotta increase my collection and considering its an over the shoulder game I can deal with the lesser controls compared to PC.

I had a couple friends come over to check it out. There is a section..
    before the air lock area in chapter 2 and the zero G area where
    a FUCK ton of zombie guys swarm you from all sides after going down a small lift.
    One of my friends asked me "hey man you gonna be alright? You went from sitting back in the couch to leaning into the tv, and I think your breathing increased." By the end of my play session (end of chapter 2) I asked if it was hot in my house, everyone said it wasn't.

This game is intense although i've only jumped once,
    babies anyone?
    but it keeps you on the edge of your seat the entire time - even when relatively nothing is happening.

bikkibikkibo on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    Magus`Magus` The fun has been DOUBLED! Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    Great game. Not scary, though.

Magus` on
  • Options
    bikkibikkibobikkibikkibo Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    Magus` wrote: »
    Great game. Not scary, though.

to you.

bikkibikkibo on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    zilozilo Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    Yeah, well... you're not scary.

It's the perfect storm of scary for me.

zilo on
  • Options
    Magus`Magus` The fun has been DOUBLED! Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    I just feel too bad-ass to be scared.

Magus` on
  • Options
    MiSTieOtakuMiSTieOtaku Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    There are more than a few people who say it isn't scary, but then again if you're the sort who plays a lot of Survival Horror-type games eventually you're just going to become enured to it. Luckily, I don't play horror games or watch horror movies that often, so when I do I really feel like I'm getting a good dose of scary from this game.

Also, I'm not all that far into the game, but I was wondering about the suits. How do the DLC suits compare to the later regular Level Suits? About the same? Better? Worse?

MiSTieOtaku on
  • Options
    043043 Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    Also, I'm not all that far into the game, but I was wondering about the suits. How do the DLC suits compare to the later regular Level Suits? About the same? Better? Worse?

I won't know until I play through again -- the DLC suits are high level, and good as fuck. But I don't regret putting it on in my first run in the game, since I'll learn everything this time and tackle hard mode with default stuff, and give myself even more of a challenge.

And if I pussy out, I can just put the Elite suit back on.

043 on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    Mr ObersmithMr Obersmith Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    I'm just happy I have a birthday coming up with this, Left4Dead, and Fallout 3 coming up I don't know how I would have decided what to get if other people weren't buying them for me.

Mr Obersmith on
    Battle.net - Obersmith#1709
    Live - MrObersmith
    PSN - Obersmith
  • Options
    edited October 2008
    Someone on SA suggested that you turn the music off so the "OH SHIT SOMETHING IS HAPPENING LOOK!" cue system goes away.

I'm doing this on my Hard playthrough. God, it's gonna be rough.

043 on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    mentok1982mentok1982 I could never leave you PAX baby. BaltimoreRegistered User regular
    edited October 2008
    I like how the game knows when the player expects to be ambushed (opening doors, getting out of an elevator)
    and so they most of the time, they don't ambush you at those places.

I opened a door in Chapter 2 last night waited for an expected ambush, went forward and a necro slid around
    the corner a few feet in front of me and surprised the crap out of me. Because of the way I play (checking corners,
    ceilings and all fans and vents), I was ready to kill him without taking any damage but it was still a great moment.

I have a tip for when you run out of ammo.
    Use a stasis blast when the enemie(s) get close to you and start punching and stomping them until you are
    sure they are dead. You can often melee them safely even when they are unfrozen because they are still reeling
    from your attacks. I have used this strategy twice on Hard mode.

Also I want to know about how you guys are spending your power nodes on your weapons or suit. Here's mine:

Plasma Cutter: 1 upgrade to increase damage
    (Purchased) Line Cutter: 1 upgrade to increase damage

I chose these routes since it seems like they are different upgrades on or near the paths and fewer power node
    slots that have no upgrade associated with them.

mentok1982 on
    Penny Arcade TV makes my life complete!
    PS3: Mentok || Steam: mentok1982 || Diablo 3: mentok1982#1212
    Links: GPUReview.com My IGN activity My IGN Blog [H]ard|Forum
  • Options
    BehemothBehemoth Compulsive Seashell Collector Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    I've upgraded the damage on the cutter and used 3 to upgrade the rig's health. Health is so rare in this game, it seemed like a good idea.

The game is very good at messing with your expectations. I've almost never seen an ambush coming, since they never put them in places you expect. Except when they do, of course.

Well, except, the first time I came across a necromorph lying on the ground, I knew just what to do and starting shooting at it. And the next time too, that's not such a good trick because you never see necromorphs dead with all their limbs still attached.

Behemoth on
    iQbUbQsZXyt8I.png
  • Options
    DragkoniasDragkonias That Guy Who Does Stuff You Know, There. Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    There are more than a few people who say it isn't scary, but then again if you're the sort who plays a lot of Survival Horror-type games eventually you're just going to become enured to it. Luckily, I don't play horror games or watch horror movies that often, so when I do I really feel like I'm getting a good dose of scary from this game.

Really...only thing is the DLC suits comes with all the inventory slots. You still have to upgrade it and stuff.

Starting out with a lower-level suit probably gives you more of a survival horror feeling since you can't carry as much until later. But the DLC suit is ideal if you don't want to be bothered with not having space.

Long story short.

DLC suit lets you hold more earlier in the game. Still have to upgrade its HP and Air.

Dragkonias on
  • Options
    muninnmuninn Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    Behemoth wrote: »
    Well, except, the first time I came across a necromorph lying on the ground, I knew just what to do and starting shooting at it. And the next time too, that's not such a good trick because you never see necromorphs dead with all their limbs still attached.

I am not sure if we are talking about the same instance but...
    The first necro that plays dead, I was able to catch small glimpse of moving shadows behind the corner, giving you that "did i just imagined this shit?" feeling when you see a dead body instead. It was awesome

muninn on
  • Options
    kriegskriegs Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    Dragkonias wrote: »
    Crap. Maybe I'll find more credits in the second chapter, though, so I guess I can't complain until I play for a while longer.

Well...my brother's been playing for a while and he's usually always hovering around 40-50k credits. So it probably isn't a big deal buying weapons.

40-50k?! Is he buying any power nodes at all? Everytime I hit 10k, cha-ching another power node is bought. So far I've upgraded my suit 1 air and 1 health. I've also spread out the other nodes between the line gun, plasma cutter, and the ripper. Screw the flamethrower, it's a horrid ammo whore and is really less effective than the other weapons. I've actually purchased everything I can at this point except the rifle, cause who the fuck uses the rifle.

kriegs on
  • Options
    Evil MultifariousEvil Multifarious Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    i tried the rifle.

it looks and feels really cool.

don't buy it if you want to live.

Evil Multifarious on
  • Options
    kriegskriegs Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    i tried the rifle.

it looks and feels really cool.

don't buy it if you want to live.

Exactly.

It's not even worth the space it takes up.

kriegs on
  • Options
    DragkoniasDragkonias That Guy Who Does Stuff You Know, There. Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    kriegs wrote: »
    Dragkonias wrote: »
    Crap. Maybe I'll find more credits in the second chapter, though, so I guess I can't complain until I play for a while longer.

Well...my brother's been playing for a while and he's usually always hovering around 40-50k credits. So it probably isn't a big deal buying weapons.

40-50k?! Is he buying any power nodes at all? Everytime I hit 10k, cha-ching another power node is bought. So far I've upgraded my suit 1 air and 1 health. I've also spread out the other nodes between the line gun, plasma cutter, and the ripper. Screw the flamethrower, it's a horrid ammo whore and is really less effective than the other weapons. I've actually purchased everything I can at this point except the rifle, cause who the fuck uses the rifle.

Yeah, he bought a few actually. Never spend all his money on them though. He also sold off all the extra ammo/health packs he didn't need. But he was just stockpiling power nodes because he didn't know what he wanted to upgrade. He didn't even bother upgrading anything until chapter 4 or 5. Before then he was just using them to open locked doors.

Dragkonias on
  • Options
    edited October 2008
    I haven't really been upgrading my suit, and it's starting to show. But I've put extra capacity and damage into the basic cutter, the Line gun, and the Ripper. I do have the Pulse Rifle, but only for crowd control (the alt-fire works wonderfully when surrounded).

Stun and run, baby.

Also: All morning, the ideas in my head have been swirling around on how to make a working RIG costume. With it's own weight, working health and stasis LEDs, and even mag-boots. Which would obviously serve no purpose whatsoever -- but still.

I wonder if I could try it before next Halloween and still be cool?

EDIT: Seriously, I think I could make this. Or at least pass my ideas on to someone who could help me.

043 on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    MiSTieOtakuMiSTieOtaku Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    043 wrote: »
    I haven't really been upgrading my suit, and it's starting to show. But I've put extra capacity and damage into the basic cutter, the Line gun, and the Ripper. I do have the Pulse Rifle, but only for crowd control (the alt-fire works wonderfully when surrounded).

Stun and run, baby.

Also: All morning, the ideas in my head have been swirling around on how to make a working RIG costume. With it's own weight, working health and stasis LEDs, and even mag-boots. Which would obviously serve no purpose whatsoever -- but still.

Didn't Zoidberg say something before about when he got to try out that demo of Dead Space there was a guy in the room in an Isaac Clark costume?

MiSTieOtaku on
  • Options
    edited October 2008
    043 wrote: »

Stun and run, baby.

EDIT: Seriously, I think I could make this. Or at least pass my ideas on to someone who could help me.
    Well, there was this guy at PAX:
    img_0070.jpg

Behemoth on
    iQbUbQsZXyt8I.png
  • Options
    edited October 2008
    ]Well, there was this guy at PAX:

snip

Yeah, but they basically made that out of a big strip of vinyl and some plastic.

My idea is to take a undersuit, probably rubber or latex, and kind of pin the ribbing on. Either aluminum or fiberglass ribbing, but the actual metal one could be weathered more effectively -- made to look like a real miner's uniform.

You could even run multiple color LEDs down the health and statis bars, with switches to flip reflecting various levels on either one.

EDIT: I guarantee that the people that make all the MJOLNIR armor from Halo (the good ones, anyway) could see exactly how this would work.

043 on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    jefe414jefe414 "My Other Drill Hole is a Teleporter" Mechagodzilla is Best GodzillaRegistered User regular
    edited October 2008
    Sounds like Normal would be way too easy from the things I hear in here though.

Yes. Normal is strangely easy (not even to chapter 3 though). Also, that f'ing elite suit maxes out inventory. I thought it only changed the LOOK of the suit. I had to start the damn game over. Still went for medium (I'm not THAT good a gamer) but not using the downloaded suit.

Also:
    What the hell is up in the damn bathrooms. I always hear some creepy chick talking. I totally expect to see some lady in a stall eating her own arm. It's freaking me out man (last horror game was either System Shock 2 or Resident Evil 2 I forget which is older).

jefe414 on
    Xbox Live: Jefe414
  • Options
    OhioOhio Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    Ganluan wrote: »

Yeah I did. I played a bit of the 360 version and liked it so much that I went and canceled my Bioshock PS3 pre-order and bought Dead Space again instead. I already played Bioshock last year, and I was going to play it again on PS3 since I like it quite a bit, but I decided I'd rather play this again instead.

You need to explain this further. You bought it for 360, played it a bit, stopped playing, said to yourself, "I like playing this so much that I need to buy it again," went and bought it again - the exact same game - and then came back home. And then which version did you play? What the hell is the point?

And you cancelled your Bioshock preorder to do it. Bioshock, which you played last year. Let me give you a tip - if you like playing a game, you're allowed to play it again. You know, the copy you already own. You don't have to keep buying it every time you want to play it.

Ohio on
  • Options
    edited October 2008
    jefe414 wrote: »

Yes. Normal is strangely easy (not even to chapter 3 though). Also, that f'ing elite suit maxes out inventory. I thought it only changed the LOOK of the suit. I had to start the damn game over. Still went for medium (I'm not THAT good a gamer) but not using the downloaded suit.

Also:
    What the hell is up in the damn bathrooms. I always hear some creepy chick talking. I totally expect to see some lady in a stall eating her own arm. It's freaking me out man (last horror game was either System Shock 2 or Resident Evil 2 I forget which is older).
    It's incredibly creepy how clean the bathrooms are. I expect to go in and see more blood-spattered Silent Hill-type shit, but they're always immaculate.

Did the janitors survive somehow?

Anyway, I think those are hallucinations or something.

It gets harder in chapter 3, chapter 2 is really still the introduction.

Behemoth on
    iQbUbQsZXyt8I.png
  • Options
    Evil MultifariousEvil Multifarious Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    the voices you hear are crazy people around the ship, their voices traveling through the vents, I think.

if not, it's the warning signs of madness induced by what's driving everyone else crazy.

Evil Multifarious on
  • Options
    edited October 2008
    jefe414 wrote: »

Also:
    It's incredibly creepy how clean the bathrooms are. I expect to go in and see more blood-spattered Silent Hill-type shit, but they're always immaculate.

It gets harder in chapter 3, chapter 2 is really still the introduction.

The real question here is how many bathrooms have you been in?
    "Know fear, no God. Know God, no fear."

That fucking first one still gets me.

043 on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    jefe414jefe414 "My Other Drill Hole is a Teleporter" Mechagodzilla is Best GodzillaRegistered User regular
    edited October 2008

Which bathrooms are you looking in ? There is blood all over the floors and it looks like the toilets are clogged.... with meat D:

jefe414 on
    Xbox Live: Jefe414
  • Options
    JakorianJakorian Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    Is the force gun the games version of a shotgun?

Jakorian on
  • Options
    edited October 2008
    I would like this post to be dedicated to how gorgeous the Hydroponics deck is.

Seriously, it's beautiful.

043 on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
This discussion has been closed.