Vanilla Forums has been nominated for a second time in the CMS Critic "Critic's Choice" awards, and we need your vote! Read more here, and then do the thing (please).
Our new Indie Games subforum is now open for business in G&T. Go and check it out, you might land a code for a free game. If you're developing an indie game and want to post about it, follow these directions. If you don't, he'll break your legs! Hahaha! Seriously though.
Our rules have been updated and given their own forum. Go and look at them! They are nice, and there may be new ones that you didn't know about! Hooray for rules! Hooray for The System! Hooray for Conforming!

[OOC] Exalted: War For The Throne

• RainfallRainfall Don't lose your WAAAAAAAYRegistered User regular
    edited May 2008
    Oh yes. Of course, they have loads of merit and work hard, etc, etc.

But for high-level politics? The Dynasts have a monopoly on that, and on any real power. And Patricians don't get to be Dynasts unless they marry into one of the families.

• ThanatosThanatos Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    Rainfall wrote: »
    EDIT: Also, Than, stop insulting Thrown. Sidereal Thrown kicks ass. If only Sidereals ever did anything besides MA, anyway.
    I wouldn't know, because after reading Sidereal Martial Arts, I didn't see any reason to look at any of the other combat trees.

Are you saying our Terrestrial Exalts have access to Sidereal throwing?

edited May 2008
    Thanatos wrote: »
    EDIT: Also, Than, stop insulting Thrown. Sidereal Thrown kicks ass. If only Sidereals ever did anything besides MA, anyway.
    I wouldn't know, because after reading Sidereal Martial Arts, I didn't see any reason to look at any of the other combat trees.

Touche.

• Paranoia833Paranoia833 Registered User
    edited May 2008

Oh come now; the Sidereal melee tree at least is pretty much deliberately designed to supplement Violet Bier of Sorrows. (A.K.A usuable with practically any weapon in the game and basically melee on crack style)

edited May 2008
    Yeah, but a Sidereal might as well save all their XP for an SMA so that they can become ubergods.

Go straight for Essence 4 and start buying those delicious charms.

But enough about that! How about those delicious Terrestrial Martial Arts?

• KrataLightbladeKrataLightblade Registered User
    edited May 2008
    Yeah, but a Sidereal might as well save all their XP for an SMA so that they can become ubergods.

Go straight for Essence 4 and start buying those delicious charms.

Orgiastic Fugitive Style, perfect for any Cynis, order yours today!

LEVEL 50 SWORD JUGGLER/WIZARD!
    edited May 2008

My character was originally going to be a White Veil practicioner, but there are so few charm slots I figured I'd be better sticking with thrown. Shame though as White Veil style kicks ass:

"You hit me!"

"No I didn't!"

"Yes you did! You just kicked me in the balls in front of half the the nobility of the Realm."

"Nu-uh! I just nudged you didn't I guys?"

"Yeah, you totally used you hidden chakra to administer the poison discree-" *whack!* "Uh, I mean, no boss."

"Wait? Poison? Bi-" *keels over*

• Last SonLast Son Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    Is there any easy way to convert a character from Anathema to a text file, or must I do that by hand?

Also, regarding the Gauntlets of Distant Claws(Oadenol's Codex, pg 37). Can they be made of one of the magical materials? And am I correct in assuming that firing the claw would require the archery skill? The rate for them is listed as 15, thats supposed to be the range right?

steam_sig.png
    edited May 2008
    Last Son wrote: »
    Is there any easy way to convert a character from Anathema to a text file, or must I do that by hand?

Also, regarding the Gauntlets of Distant Claws(Oadenol's Codex, pg 37). Can they be made of one of the magical materials? And am I correct in assuming that firing the claw would require the archery skill? The rate for them is listed as 15, thats supposed to be the range right?

I'm pretty sure you have to do it by hand, sadly.

Yes, you can craft 'em with any of the 5MM. As a general rule, if it says you can't, you can't. Otherwise, feel free.

And yes, they use Archery for their ranged attack, with a Rate of 1 and a Range of 15.

• INeedNoSaltINeedNoSalt Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    Does the Guild have presence on the Blessed Isle (where would I find information on that?)

sometimes you just gotta do a thing
    edited May 2008
    Yes, the Guild is everywhere. More specific information would be in the Blessed Isle book, but I don't think there's much in there.

edited May 2008
    Spoiler:

Backgrounds:
    Spoiler:

Hm hm.

• LeshanLeshan Registered User
    edited May 2008
    Character Stats:
    Spoiler:

Experiance spending:
    Spoiler:

Background, description, and Backgrounds:
    Spoiler:

Character Sheet for Silver Squadron game: Kalen
    edited May 2008
    A final round of questions and my character should be done.

1) Are all Martial Arts assumed to be form weapons for all Martial Arts styles? Specifically for Five-Dragon style, it mentions that Straight Swords and Spears may be used in lieu of more traditional MA weapons, but does that mean you can only use those weapons or that you can use those weapons in addition.

2) Some Martial Arts charms require "a barehanded attack" or "a punch or kick", are these considered the same as an unarmed attack(meaning they can be made with form weapons)? Some charms specifically mention that they can't be channeled through a weapon(even a form weapon) so I think its implicitly allowed unless forbidden, but wanted to be sure.

steam_sig.png
  • PowerslavePowerslave Registered User
    edited May 2008

1) Are all Martial Arts assumed to be form weapons for all Martial Arts styles? Specifically for Five-Dragon style, it mentions that Straight Swords and Spears may be used in lieu of more traditional MA weapons, but does that mean you can only use those weapons or that you can use those weapons in addition.

2) Some Martial Arts charms require "a barehanded attack" or "a punch or kick", are these considered the same as an unarmed attack(meaning they can be made with form weapons)? Some charms specifically mention that they can't be channeled through a weapon(even a form weapon) so I think its implicitly allowed unless forbidden, but wanted to be sure.

1) It means exactly what it says, or it wouldn't bother listing other traditional weapons as usable. Presumably, this would make all Martial Arts weapons AND the sword and spear form weapons. Of course, the Dragon-Blooded book is also riddled with typos and errors (moreso than any other Exalted book so far), so that's a call for Rainfall.

2) That is the entire point of form weapons, yes. They count as unarmed attacks for the purposes of the Martial Arts charms of that style. If a charm says that they can't be used for that charm, however, they can't, such as with Five Dragon Fist (which I presume is what you're referring to).

"Never trust anyone who spells 'magic' with a K."
    edited May 2008

Five-Dragon Style uses straight swords and spears in lieu of traditional MA weapons. So no, you can't use MA weapons as form weapons with it.

As long as you're using Form Weapons, your attacks count as unarmed with that MA style, but if it says that they can't be used with a Form Weapon then you've gotta punch/kick.

@Leshan, check my clarification on Craft in the third post. You've got a little bit of leeway there. Also, Dragon-Bloods can use as many Reflexives as they want per action, you don't need that combo, since 2/3 charms in it are Reflexive it's just a waste of XP.

I like the character, though!

edited May 2008
    Well, since everyone else is posting there's publicly I may as well join in.

Character stats:
    Spoiler:

Background and description:
    Spoiler:

Given their common familial routes and similarity of motivations, Cawnell would make an obvious ally for Adina in particular (or an interesting enemy).

• ArcanisTheImpotentArcanisTheImpotent Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    pfft Adina and Celia are already BFFs thx

Player of Batgirl, Gotham Knights
    GM of Monsterhearts: Blackwood
    edited May 2008

Five-Dragon Style uses straight swords and spears in lieu of traditional MA weapons. So no, you can't use MA weapons as form weapons with it.

As long as you're using Form Weapons, your attacks count as unarmed with that MA style, but if it says that they can't be used with a Form Weapon then you've gotta punch/kick.

Ok, followup questions then. 1) Since a Daiklave is a form weapon for five-dragons could I make attacks using my martial arts skill or would I have to train both Melee(to attack) AND martial arts(for the charms)?

2) Terrestrial Hero Style says that it is "an unarmed style", does this mean I can't use any weapon with it?

3) I know that attacks with a form weapon are considering unarmed, I was asking if they were also considered "barehanded" or if using smashfists would count as a "punch". For example: 'Dragon-Claw Elemental Strike' requires a "successful barehanded attack", can the charm be performed while attacking with a form-weapon?

steam_sig.png
    edited May 2008

Ok, followup questions then. 1) Since a Daiklave is a form weapon for five-dragons could I make attacks using my martial arts skill or would I have to train both Melee(to attack) AND martial arts(for the charms)?

2) Terrestrial Hero Style says that it is "an unarmed style", does this mean I can't use any weapon with it?

3) I know that attacks with a form weapon are considering unarmed, I was asking if they were also considered "barehanded" or if using smashfists would count as a "punch". For example: 'Dragon-Claw Elemental Strike' requires a "successful barehanded attack", can the charm be performed while attacking with a form-weapon?

I'm pretty sure that since you're considered fighting unarmed if it's a form weapon, then no, you don't need Melee.

Terrestrial Hero Style doesn't work with weapons, but it does work in armor.

That last one is trickier but I would consider 'barehanded' to mean barehanded, not unarmed (hitting someone with a smashfist is a smashfist attack, not a punch, I think.) That is totally the GM's call though.

edited May 2008
    pfft Adina and Celia are already BFFs thx

Adina is friends with everybody, especially if it means being able to dig into their resources :p

Also I'm going to make her Fire aspect at Rainfall's suggestion (and write up some background tonight)

edited May 2008
    @Leshan, check my clarification on Craft in the third post. You've got a little bit of leeway there. Also, Dragon-Bloods can use as many Reflexives as they want per action, you don't need that combo, since 2/3 charms in it are Reflexive it's just a waste of XP.

I like the character, though!

Ahhh, see I thought that for a second about the combo, but I was all "Nawwww, I must be looking at something wrong". So thats another 7 experiance right there.

I'm not sure what you're trying to tell me about the craft rules though. I saw that they are now specialty based, that's why I even have specialties in more then one. In fact, I'll be upping my specialty in Manse. Unless you're trying to to say it'd be better for me to put the dots I have in the Crafts in other abilities, since I only need one to purchase the specialties.

Hrmm, I think that will change how I built my charcter just a bit. I'll post the new character sheet shortly then.

edited May 2008
    Well, instead of taking two dots in three different varieties of craft, you just need two dots in Craft and then a variety of specialties.

edited May 2008
    Ah, I see now. Thanks.

Edit: New Character sheet:
    Spoiler:

New experiance spending:
    Spoiler:

Background:
    Spoiler:

Edit: We're not using Armorium stats, right?

edited May 2008
    Leshan, the first excellency is your friend. Second excellencies are for celestial exalts, first excellences are for terrestrial.

edited May 2008
    Now that you bring it up, yeah, I probably should take that instead. *sigh* Sorry to keep ammending my character Rainfall, I'll send you a revised sheet shortly. Also this one will include DV's, since I just noticed I've been forgetting to put them on the sheet.

Edit: Final Character Sheet

Character Sheet:
    Spoiler:

edited May 2008
    Leshan, the first excellency is your friend. Second excellencies are for celestial exalts, first excellences are for terrestrial.

You might not be able to tell but I limed this twice.

If you're buying any excellencies aside from the first as a Terrestrial, you are stupid.

*ahem*

edited May 2008
    This is acutally my first time really putting together a Dragon-Blood, so that was mostly just operating under the assumption that the Second Excellency was better then it was for Dragon-Bloods. Just used to taking it quite a bit for my Solar characters.

edited May 2008
    Well, DBs get a half-price First Excellency, limited to Ability+specialty, so you can spend up to 4m for 8 dice, or you can spend 8 motes for four successes.

Whereas Celestials can spend 10 motes for 10 dice, or 10 motes for 5 successes. Both average to the same but the Second is a lot more reliable, and a lot scarier in combat.

edited May 2008
    I've never played a Dragon-Blooded, either. :?

I'll put something together tonight or tomorrow night. We're missing Fire and Water, correct? Anyone already planning on making either of those?

edited May 2008
    Actually it seems INeedNoSalt changed from Earth to Fire and Powerslave also submitted a Fire, so Earth and Water are the aspects no one has (publicly) submitted yet.

Edited: For some reason I listed Rainfall instead of INeedNoSalt

edited May 2008
    Leshan wrote: »
    Actually it seems Rainfall changed from Earth to Fire and Powerslave also submitted a Fire, so Earth and Water are the aspects no one has (publicly) submitted yet.
    INNS submitted an Earth.

Anyone made a Water yet?

edited May 2008

You might not be able to tell but I limed this twice.

If you're buying any excellencies aside from the first as a Terrestrial, you are stupid.

*ahem*

Well isn't there a Socialize charm that for some reason demands you have two Excellencies before you can take it

I don't even see why you'd ever want two excellencies other than that

Edit: I was going to change my character from Earth to Fire at Rainfall's suggestion -- did Powerslave submit a sheet or just mention he was going to?

edited May 2008
    Just mentioned it, so possible Powerslave hasn't

edited May 2008
    I'm going to.

edited May 2008
    Powerslave wrote: »
    I'm going to.
    Fire, water, or both?

edited May 2008
    Spoiler:

Backgrounds:
    Spoiler:

Background:
    Spoiler:

Updated~

That's Adina, with Background and reworked as a Fire. Since I don't really want to oust Powerslave (or shoot myself in the foot by playing a non-Fire Socialite,) we'll see what Rainfall says, and if this is troublesome, I can switch her back to Earth.

Edit: Yeah just sticking with Earth

edited May 2008
    Powerslave wrote: »
    I'm going to.
    Fire, water, or both?

Fire. I've been a bit tied up with having to make two sheets concurrently and edit another log for RF's other game, all in time to catch a plane to New York. I WILL have all this done before I leave.

Edit: I could try to rework Dog-Dragon Ezani as an Earth or Water if needed, it'd just be a little harder.

edited May 2008
    Ah, there are five people, so I'll withdraw.

If someone ends up dropping, Rainfall, let me know, and I can take their place.

edited May 2008
    Well, Rainfall did say it's not first-come first-served.

Paranoia, since we're both Ragara, we should probably decide how our characters stand regarding one another.