As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Upgrading a pre-paid phone

tallgeezetallgeeze Registered User regular
edited May 2008 in Help / Advice Forum
So a few years ago my horrible sprint contract finally ended and I vowed to never get another contract again. I went to the pre-paid route and never looked back. I went with T-Mobile and it has been good to me.

The service is great, but the problem now is my actual phone. It's old and has been tossed around like a rag doll. I'm having trouble with the buttons now and I want to upgrade. The thing is that I can't figure out how to do it. I tried calling the T-mobile customer service, but I keep getting cut after I choose to speak to a live person.

I found some phones on their website, but based on the descriptions it's like buying a whole new service. I want to keep the number I have, but just upgrade the phone. Is there a way to do this?

Sorry if that was verbose. I just had coffee. Thx in advance for any clues on what to do.

tallgeeze on

• Options
    TheDiscoBanditTheDiscoBandit Registered User new member
    edited May 2008
    To my knowledge, T-mobile is based of of SIM cards, so really all you need to do is go into the store, ask the monkey which phones are compatible with their pre-paid service, purchase the phone you like and then simply swap out the SIM card from one phone to the other. My basis for this is that I have an ex-girlfriend who had T-mobile and we lost damaged a few of her phones and used the older ones she had until the new one arrived.

TheDiscoBandit on
    Th+DiscoBiscuit.png
  • Options
    CrashtardCrashtard Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    To my knowledge, T-mobile is based of of SIM cards, so really all you need to do is go into the store, ask the monkey which phones are compatible with their pre-paid service, purchase the phone you like and then simply swap out the SIM card from one phone to the other. My basis for this is that I have an ex-girlfriend who had T-mobile and we lost damaged a few of her phones and used the older ones she had until the new one arrived.

Pretty much this. The only bad thing about going into their store is that you're probably going to get ripped off on the price of the phone. You might consider checking ebay for phones that are compatible with the prepaid tmobile service.

Crashtard on
    I pinky swear that we will not screw you.

Crashtard.jpg
  • Options
    TrillianTrillian Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    Any unlocked unbranded phone will work, and will allow you such nice things as custom homemade ringtones.
    Craigslist might be able to help with finding one.

Trillian on

They cast a shadow like a sundial in the morning light. It was half past 10.