As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Savage 2: A Tortured Soul sure looks good, has anyone played it though? NSF56K

SparrowSparrow Registered User regular
edited May 2008 in Games and Technology
While recently browsing Steam for yet another product to waste my hard earned cash on instead of paying taxes, I came across an interesting looking game titled "Savage 2: A Tortured Soul". Having never heard of the game I immediately skipped over it, however you try ignoring giant flame demons.

Spoiler for big
savage2artuh8.jpg

From what I understand, Savage 2 is the equivalent of what would happen if the Counter Strike RPG mod had a child with Guild Wars and then you sowed the head of any RTS game onto its left shoulder to create some form of Frankenstein's monster.

You start off by choosing your side, either Humans or Beasties who are apparently locked in an epic struggle for no explained reason.

Generic example of a Human:
humandn0.jpg
If you've ever played WoW just think of the human side as the alliance. Besides humans it also consists of Dwarfs and an Elvish (kinda) race.

Generic example of a Beast race:
beastieyr1.jpg
The beast side is made up of creatures that resemble goblins, orcs, the wolfman, and some sort of snake/octopus people.

After you've chosen a race you choose a class. Your class may be tied into what race you choose or vice versa however I haven't looked into it.

Now this is where the game gets interesting. The classes consist of what you would expect to see in an FPS (Sniper, rifleman, ect.) however they also have what you would expect from an RPG (Magician, Healer, Warrior, ect.). As you kill people and win matches you gain a form of experience that can be used to learn new spells and abilities.

Interface with some abilities being displayed (looks like an mmo doesn't it?)
interfaceqd4.jpg

Well that looks good but hows it like an RTS?

Each team also gets a "commander" so to speak who plays the game from the top down. This player chooses where to construct buildings and when to use their super "Buffs" and "Debuffs". Alternatively you can also play a building class who is basically like the commanders bitch and speeds up the construction of buildings.
rtsbc6.jpg

Just like any RTS constructing buildings opens up new "tech trees" so to speak granting everyone on your team new abilities, better stats, and even opening up new classes. You also want to protect your buildings because once they're destroyed its game over.

You get the cash for buildings once your team manages to capture and hold mines on the map.

The game map also consists of NPC controlled factions who will attack both sides, map obstacles/capture points that grant benefits, and chasms from which you can summon demons to fight for you.
demonwg4.jpg
Im told that when you summon an extremely powerful demon it even starts to rain blood.

The game looks awesome, and reviews give it decent scores however due to lack of marketing I have a sinking suspicion that the player base might suffer. Anyone have any experience with this game?

Savage 2: A Tortured Soul is currently being sold on steam for $30

EDIT: The official site has a much nicer explanation of the units I suggest you view it. Link
The game also automatically saves the replay from the last match for you to view and has stat tracking!

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Sparrow on

• Options
    Raiden333Raiden333 Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    I was extremely interested in the original Savage, having played many many hours of Natural Selection for Half Life, but it never really clicked and there were too few people playing it. If this game gets a decent following going so I can hop on and find a game when the whim takes me, I'll definitely be picking it up. I love games that mix genres.

Raiden333 on
    There was a steam sig here. It's gone now.
  • Options
    TheKoolEagleTheKoolEagle Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    i played the hell out of the original savage but savage 2 kind of slipped under my radar.

if i had $30 to spend i would probably pick this up

TheKoolEagle on
    uNMAGLm.png Mon-Fri 8:30 PM CST - 11:30 PM CST
  • Options
    TetraNitroCubaneTetraNitroCubane The Djinnerator At the bottom of a bottleRegistered User regular
    edited May 2008
    We had another thread on this a while back, but it never really took off. If it's on Steam now, that's great news. The main problem I always encountered with the game is that no one was playing it. Steam will certainly increase the player base.

Can the Steam version customers play the game with people who purchased the game directly from S2? Or can original customers register their versions of Savage 2 on Steam? Or is Steam still hard-assed about letting you re-register products?

TetraNitroCubane on
  • Options
    SparrowSparrow Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    Q: I'm an existing Savage 2 user, how does the Steam release affect me? Will I need to download steam?

A: The steam release will have no effect on existing Savage 2 players, other than there may be more players online to play with. You can continue to use the stand alone Savage 2 client.

Im assuming thats a yes.

Sparrow on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]