As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Workstation video card: Quadro or GeForce?

JasconiusJasconius sword criminalmad onlineRegistered User regular
I have been tasked with researching a new workstation to get myself at work, but I am unsure of what sort of graphics card would be best suited to my tasks.

I deal with a lot of uncompressed video, as well as high res images (albeit occasionally). Would things like video and high res imagery be more suitably handled by a video card such as a Quadro (which as I understand is primarily for 3D work) or a typical desktop graphics card such as a GeForce?

Kthx.

*edit* Also I'm working off of 2 monitors at very high resolution so there's a lot of desktop space to render too.

Jasconius on

• Options
    DaemonionDaemonion Mountain Man USARegistered User regular
    edited May 2008
    A friend of mine was doing 3D/photoshop work on a 7800 for a few years and only noticed slowdowns when he included multiple real-time light sources.

He was working on one monitor, 1920x1200. He also wanted to be able to game here and there.

If you don't plan on any gaming, what-so-ever, I don't see why you wouldn't get a dedicated 3D card, though.

Daemonion on
  • Options
    JasconiusJasconius sword criminal mad onlineRegistered User regular
    edited May 2008
    Yeah, this is an office computer, so no gaming.

In my reading I just can't see anything about the Quadros that make them a superior work station card beyond the 3D rendering stuff (which I don't do).

And they are a bit more expensive as I recall.

Jasconius on
  • Options
    gneGnegneGne Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    Yeah unless you doing 3D rendering I would get the normal geforce. Quadros are quite expensive as well, I think they can go up to 1000$. The 9600GT should suffice enough to put some video workload off the CPU.

gneGne on
    pasigcopyox6.jpg