Our new Indie Games subforum is now open for business in G&T. Go and check it out, you might land a code for a free game. If you're developing an indie game and want to post about it, follow these directions. If you don't, he'll break your legs! Hahaha! Seriously though.
Our rules have been updated and given their own forum. Go and look at them! They are nice, and there may be new ones that you didn't know about! Hooray for rules! Hooray for The System! Hooray for Conforming!

Common computer problems and fixes

GrathGrath Registered User, ClubPA regular
edited September 2006 in Ancient Forum Knowledge
This will be a lengthy thread. It will be open to everyone but im going to try and keep it cleaned out so if your post gets deleted from here don't complain

Grath on
3ds Code 0619-3710-2995

• GrathGrath Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited September 2003
    Windows update Not working for windows xp.

Try these steps in this order.

1. Clear your temporary internet files.

2. Open up my computer then local disk c, delete wutemp. ope
    windows, then open system32, delete catroot2.
    If it won't let you delete it boot into safe mode and do it then boot into
    normal mode and try again.

3. Try changing host file

It is located here

C:\WINDOWS\system32\drivers\etc

rename hosts to something different and then reconnect.

4. Remove IE plugins
    Click tools go to internet options, on the general tab look for settings
    click that then click view objects, delete update class from that list.
    also delete any objects showing as unknown or damaged.

5. The doozy
    Then after you have done that right click on my computer, go to
    manage, click the plus next to services and applications, then highlight
    services. look on the right for the cryptographic service. set it to
    disabled and turn it off.
    click start go to run and type each of these commands (the small block of text is what you'd need to create a batch file if you want to do that)

Copy this into a notepad document and save it as a .bat file then doubleclick on it to do the below steps automatically
    echo off
    cls
    echo =============================
    echo Re-registering DLL components
    echo =============================
    echo Registering urlmon.dll
    regsvr32 urlmon.dll /s
    echo Registering mshtml.dll
    regsvr32 mshtml.dll /s
    echo Registering shdocvw.dll
    regsvr32 shdocvw.dll /s
    echo Registering browseui.dll
    regsvr32 browseui.dll /s
    echo Registering msjava.dll
    regsvr32 msjava.dll /s
    echo Registering msxml.dll
    regsvr32 msxml.dll /s
    echo Registering jscript.dll
    regsvr32 jscript.dll /s
    echo Registering vbscript.dll
    regsvr32 vbscript.dll /s
    echo Registering oleaut32.dll
    regsvr32 oleaut32.dll /s
    echo Registering softpub.dll
    regsvr32 softpub.dll /s
    echo Registering wintrust.dll
    regsvr32 wintrust.dll /s
    echo Registering initpki.dll (This one is slow to register)
    regsvr32 initpki.dll /s
    echo Registering dssenh.dll
    regsvr32 dssenh.dll /s
    echo Registering rsaenh.dll
    regsvr32 rsaenh.dll /s
    echo Registering gpkcsp.dll
    regsvr32 gpkcsp.dll /s
    echo Registering sccbase.dll
    regsvr32 sccbase.dll /s
    echo Registering slbcsp.dll
    regsvr32 slbcsp.dll /s
    echo Registering cryptdlg.dll
    regsvr32 cryptdlg.dll /s
    echo =====================
    echo Registering Complete!
    echo =====================
    pause

regsvr32 urlmon.dll /s
    regsvr32 mshtml.dll /s
    regsvr32 shdocvw.dll /s
    regsvr32 browseui.dll /s
    regsvr32 msjava.dll /s
    regsvr32 msxml.dll /s
    regsvr32 jscript.dll /s
    regsvr32 vbscript.dll /s
    regsvr32 oleaut32.dll /s
    regsvr32 softpub.dll /s
    regsvr32 wintrust.dll /s
    regsvr32 initpki.dll /s
    (This one is slow to register)
    regsvr32 initpki.dll /s
    regsvr32 dssenh.dll /s
    regsvr32 rsaenh.dll /s
    regsvr32 gpkcsp.dll /s
    regsvr32 sccbase.dll /s
    regsvr32 slbcsp.dll /s
    regsvr32 cryptdlg.dll /s

it will register your dll files.
    reboot, catroot2 will be back, kill it again. (see step 2)
    then turn the cryptographic service back on and set it to automatic.
    try and download your updates.

if this doesn't work Create a thread with your exact error message

3ds Code 0619-3710-2995
    edited September 2003
    dev wrote:
    Orthanc wrote:
    I should point out that msconfig only exists in XP. Those of us running 2k have to do things the old fashioned way

It's also in 98, but I don't think it was in 95. For 2000 users, try this program here: http://www.mlin.net/StartupCPL.shtml It adds a startup manager to your control panel, and does everything msconfig does.

it is in ME and 98 also but the steps are a little different - there is no services tab so disregard that part.

This is not a common problem but it is a common fix for many many problems. IT is a troubleshooting step you should always try if you are out of all other ideas. It is called Clean boot troubleshooting.

Click Start, choose run. Type in “msconfig” (without the quotes), and then click on OK.

This should bring up the System Configuration Utility. There will be several tabs across the top of this window. First click the “Startup” Tab. On that tab there will be a button labeled “Disable All”. Click that button.

Next, choose the “Services” tab. On this tab there will be a box labeled “Hide All Microsoft Services”. Click that box so that it becomes checked. Then in the window portion where the services are listed, click the boxes to uncheck any remaining services.

Once that is complete, choose OK. You will be asked to restart the computer. Go ahead and restart the computer. Once the computer restarts, you will get a box informing you that the System Configuration Utility has run. Close that box and attempt to recreate the issue.

If the issue still occurs while you are in this portion of the clean boot, you do not need to continue. You can go back into msconfig and choose “normal startup” from the general tab to undo the changes that were made. Then click ok and let the system restart.

If the issue does not occur, it tells us that one of the items that we unchecked is responsible for the issue and we need to use a process of elimination to determine which item is responsible.

To do this, we gradually start rechecking things in either the “Services” or “Startup” tabs. To start with, run msconfig again and then click the “Services” tab. Click the “Enable All” button, then click OK and allow the system to restart. Once the restart is complete, test to see if the issue occurs. If the issue does occur, we know the problem is a service. If the issue still does not occur, we know the problem is a startup item.

Now that we know which group is responsible, we must determine the item in that group that is causing the issue.

This process can take several more restarts. The steps are to go back into msconfig and choose the tab for the group that is causing the issue, either the “Services” or “Startup” tab. We will follow a process of elimination to determine the source of the issue. Start by rechecking half of the items listed. Then click OK and let the system restart. Again, check for the issue. If the issue still occurs something that was just rechecked is the issue. Otherwise one of the items that was left unchecked is the issue.

Keep doing this until you find out what item is causing the problem.

Startup items
    If the cause is located in common startup (on the startup tab it will have location and location will actually say common startup) enable the item then restart. when it comes back up click start go to all programs, startup, look for the item causing your problem and delete it.

If the problem says something like hklm\software\microsoft\windows\currentversion\run
    then it is in the registry

BEFORE YOU TOUCH THE REGISTRY!
    click start go to all programs go to accessories go to system tools click system restore. Create a new restore point.

If you feel that you made a mistake in the registry or deleted something on accident just close regedit go to system restore and use that restore point you just made.

before you reboot get this article and if you can print it out.
    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=KB;EN-US;307545
    That will help you if something does get broken in the registry. Not that I think you are inept but your fingers might be fat and that other guy reading this might be inept.

removing the item's from the registry isn't hard its just you go into something that could potentially break everything

click start go to run type regedit.

click the plus next to hkey_local_machine then the plus next to software then the plus next to microsoft then the plus next to windows then the plus next to currentversion then highlight run. Look on the right hand side for the item and delete it, close regedit and reboot, problems should be gone.

it could also be in Hkcu instead of hklm. hkcu = hkey_current_user.

there are rare cases of even other locations but its not common.

if it is a service that is causing your problem right click my computer click manage, click the plus next to services and applications highlight services, Look on the list to the right for the service. double click. set startup type to disabled and click stop. You should probably do a google search on the service and see if you can find the program that is related to the service and remove it if you dont need it or reinstall it if you do.

MSKB ref.
    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=KB;EN-US;310353

I stole a huge chunk of that from a template I have at work so its overly polite.

3ds Code 0619-3710-2995
  • Combat WombatCombat Wombat Registered User
    edited September 2003
    Miss that split-second BSoD? Here's how to keep it on the screen in XP/2k:

Go to System Properties (Right-click My Computer, select Properties), go to Advanced, go to Startup and Recovery, click the Settings button. Go down to System Failure, and uncheck the third box, marked Automatically Restart.

That will keep the BSoD on the screen so you can take notes on what the problem is.

sigheil.gif
  • iamgezuzkrystiamgezuzkryst Registered User
    edited September 2003
    How do I read error logs on windows 2k?

--Toast

3.jpg
  • blackdegreeblackdegree Registered User
    edited September 2003
    Isn't that what that "Dr. Watson" shit does in windows? I remember looking at it once, and it had a couple ld error messages on it...

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • XArchangelXXArchangelX Registered User regular
    edited October 2003
    Hey, I use Excite for a web based e-mail. It has pretty good blocking features, and I am too lazy to create a real e-mail account. But I have been buried in spam for awhile now, and some of it I can't even add to the block list.

wtfemail.gif

Seriously, WTF? How does that e-mail get sent anywhere with that in the from box? I believe its time to just get a new account.

Eve Online is a terrible game, but I used to play, for the lulz!
    Steam
    Only the strong can help the weak.
    edited October 2003
    they are sending with fake return addresses. theres nothing you can do if the email provider allows that.

My email address wont even accept a mail without a valid return address.

3ds Code 0619-3710-2995
  • DogDog Registered User, Administrator, Vanilla Staff admin
    edited October 2003
    When I ctrl=alt=delete, the bar that lets you switch between programs, and other things doesn't appear.(I'm running XP)
    edit: The tabs don't appear is what I mean.

• SuroTekSuroTek Registered User
    edited October 2003
    Question. I'm running xp pro. I installed service pack 1. Along with most of the updates from microsoft. Now, here lies my problem. I can't seem to get into msconfig, or the taskmanager. When I do start those apps, they open for all of two seconds and then close. No error message or anything. Anyone, know what I need to do?

Ledneh wrote: »
    Get banned

No, I'm serious

Get banned and go fuck off and die you fucking waste of carbon

http://mythos-limited.com
    edited October 2003
    PiP=F wrote:
    When I ctrl=alt=delete, the bar that lets you switch between programs, and other things doesn't appear.(I'm running XP)
    edit: The tabs don't appear is what I mean.

Doubleclick on the very top of that window.

SuroTek wrote:
    Question. I'm running xp pro. I installed service pack 1. Along with most of the updates from microsoft. Now, here lies my problem. I can't seem to get into msconfig, or the taskmanager. When I do start those apps, they open for all of two seconds and then close. No error message or anything. Anyone, know what I need to do?

do a search for msconfig. if you see it in any folders besides pchealth rename it to somethign else and try again

3ds Code 0619-3710-2995
    edited October 2003
    i gota funny problem nobody can fix :)
    i logged out yesterday, and instead of just showing another login: prompt, my machine rebooted :)

maybe it's the fluxuating power in my house

• ElsinoreElsinore Registered User
    edited November 2003
    Grathungar wrote:
    snip long Windows update not working explanation

Also - make sure that the system time is accurate - update won't work if it's off by more than 100 days or something

Grath edit: I can't fucking belive i forgot that part. Thanks.

• Lurky McPostLurky McPost Registered User
    edited November 2003
    3 particularily troublesome and, depending on user level, frustrating problems off the top of my head. These are serious problems, and by serious I mean hardware. Hardware issues generally require you to purchase or RMA something.

Random write errors, particularily on OS or software installation.

Knee jerk reaction is to troubleshoot the hard drive. While this may infact be the problem, more often than not Ive found it to be bad ram. Reason being the read-write process stores the data in the ram before writing it back to the designated device. Bad ram will typically accept data without a problem, but it becomes corrupted and upon rewrite and causes this error. I like to check the ram first because its a lot faster to swap out your chips (most people have 2, the problem usually only exists on one) than it is to start doing surface scans of your hard drive.

Bad ram can result in a lot of random crashing, once the software problems are sorted, its always a good idea to check. Generally Ive found ram starts out bad a lot more often than it goes bad, but shit happens, just something to keep in mind.

BIOS lockups, random restarts that may periodically require a hard off before it will come back up.

These can be (read: always have been for me) signs of overheating. Unless you've overclocked it video cards usually will not overheat as modern cards come with sufficient cooling (some with o/cing in mind). The failure to restart is the prime indicator, as if the processor is still above tolerance it will not trip back on. A few seconds is often long enough for the heat to dissipate, which can make people think that heat wasnt the issue. This problem is particularily impotant to be aware of is you are building an AMD system yourself, and dont have much experience with it. AMDs are far more heat sensitive than Intels and TWICE now Ive had friends purchase them and the fan that was supplied with them was insufficient. Overclockers may run into this as well, but Id expect they should know what the fuck theyre doing and be aware heat issues.

The fix of course is to buy a bigger/better fan. This isn't a common problem, but when it happens it can cause a lot of headaches if you dont know whats going on. Ive noted over the past year that there are some complete rocks on this forum where computers are concerned, so Im not trying to insult your intelligence if you think this is a "duh" problem.

The third, Ive just run into (and would love to hear a solid answer for), is a god damn whore of a thing. This isnt so much a fix as it is an account of a half assed unacceptable fix.

Problem: Dxdiag shows that Direct3d, AGP, and DirectDraw acceleration are unavailable. Direct3d is completely non-functional. Games claim that no Dx X compliant hardware could be found and dont run, or default to software mode. I checked Usenet, and damn near every one of them involved a GeForce, and none of them had a fix. We rolled DirectX back to 8.1 (XP default I believe), no joy. Updated video BIOS, used mfg recommended drivers, updated Nvdia reference drivers, checked/resolved IRQ conflicts, nothing doing.

I replaced the card (Gainward FX 5900 128mb), the problem carried over to the new one (PCI Geforce 2 I think). I told them to reinstall the OS and hope for the best, failing that take it somewhere they can test the motherboard. So they reloaded, put Dx 9b back on, and the problem re-emerged. This time they had system restore activated and went back to Dx 8 (I used a 3rd party Dx killer last time) and the problem went away. So we are left with the following prognosis:

Not-a-fucking-clue. The FX series is supposed to be Dx9 compliant, regardless the replacement card had the same problem. All drivers (Card, mobo, BIOS, OS) are up to date and mfg recommended. Hardware acceleration is enabled (and obviously disabling it didnt help anything.. though I tried it), Direct3d options are enabled. There are no conflicts, everything is exactly as it should be, and yet, goes to shit once Dx9 is installed. It looks like hardware, yet it acts like software, its a whore of a thing. I think I said that.

The owner is satisfied to keep it with DX8 (even though he cant play MS Flightsim, which accounts for 1/3 of the games he has an interest in), and Ive still recommended he take it into the shop because, frankly, that shit ain't right. So that was the "fix" here as of this morning, if anyone knows of this very bizzare problem Id love to hear about it.

• VothVoth Registered User regular
    edited November 2003
    To stop Windows Messenger Popups you just need to disable the service.

Click on Start > Settings > Control Panel > Services. You should see an item called Messenger. Highlight the item by clicking on it and clicking the Stop button on the right hand side. You might also want to click on the Startup button and click on the Disable bubble so it doesn't start up again when you reboot.

I hope this helps.

reverbnation -- last.fm -- facebook -- twitter -- bandcamp --youtube -- PSN: audapostrophe -- XBL: audapostrophe -- NNID: audapostrophe -- Myspace
  • PheezerPheezer Registered User, ClubPA
    edited November 2003
    Want to screen cap a DVD but it always goes all black when you save?

Turn off hardware acceleration.

IT'S GOT ME REACHING IN MY POCKET IT'S GOT ME FORKING OVER CASH
    CUZ THERE'S SOMETHING IN THE MIDDLE AND IT'S GIVING ME A RASH
  • The Deranged HermitThe Deranged Hermit Inside the walls Merry Old EnglandRegistered User regular
    edited November 2003
    I've got a friend who want to hook his computer up to his t.v, so his graphics card will need a t.v/out socket, but I can't get round to his house to check myself and he doesn't know what he is looking for.

So does any one know if the NVIDIA RIVA TNT2 Model 64/Model 64 Pro has a t.v/out (S-video to scart or whatever you want to call it). I've looked on google and all I can find are driver up dates or pictures of the board from an angle that doesn't show what plugs it can take.

Help would be most appreciated.

Steam: the_deranged_hermit
    GW2: Tavalisk.9463
  • CorvusCorvus Caw? VancouverRegistered User regular
    edited November 2003
    I've got a friend who want to hook his computer up to his t.v, so his graphics card will need a t.v/out socket, but I can't get round to his house to check myself and he doesn't know what he is looking for.

So does any one know if the NVIDIA RIVA TNT2 Model 64/Model 64 Pro has a t.v/out (S-video to scart or whatever you want to call it). I've looked on google and all I can find are driver up dates or pictures of the board from an angle that doesn't show what plugs it can take.

Help would be most appreciated.

Why not just send him an image of a card with the correct plug?

edited November 2003
    Help! My computer crashes periodically for no aparent reason. Sometimes it wont start up properly I just get a blank screen. Sometimes it freezes while booting up, and then if I get into Windows it just works fine sometimes and sometimes it dies. Im running XP and I think the problem is my motherboard. Its a Jetway 663AS Ultra version A07. I heard version A08 is out but I couldnt find it on the Jetway web sight. Please please help me please.
    Edit: I dont know how to flash my bios iether. Also sorry I posted this here I thought it would be better than starting a new thread as its a sticky and well look at the title. Mods please delete this entry I'll go bring this up elsewhere.

• DR2SentinelDR2Sentinel Registered User regular
    edited November 2003
    1. This isn't where you post your questions, it's where you share information. If you're having issues make a new thread.

2. Learn to spell and your sentance structure is atrocious.

3. It sounds like either your hard drive is on the fritz or you're over heating and shutting down. Though most AMD boards dont shut down with heat, they just let you fry. Check physical connections with everying in your case, dust everything off and then try. Also try flashing or re-setting your BIOS.

Edit: My god man, the potential answer is like 4 or 5 posts up, READ stuff before you post.

BIOS lockups, random restarts that may periodically require a hard off before it will come back up.

These can be (read: always have been for me) signs of overheating. Unless you've overclocked it video cards usually will not overheat as modern cards come with sufficient cooling (some with o/cing in mind). The failure to restart is the prime indicator, as if the processor is still above tolerance it will not trip back on. A few seconds is often long enough for the heat to dissipate, which can make people think that heat wasnt the issue. This problem is particularily impotant to be aware of is you are building an AMD system yourself, and dont have much experience with it. AMDs are far more heat sensitive than Intels and TWICE now Ive had friends purchase them and the fan that was supplied with them was insufficient. Overclockers may run into this as well, but Id expect they should know what the fuck theyre doing and be aware heat issues.

The fix of course is to buy a bigger/better fan. This isn't a common problem, but when it happens it can cause a lot of headaches if you dont know whats going on. Ive noted over the past year that there are some complete rocks on this forum where computers are concerned, so Im not trying to insult your intelligence if you think this is a "duh" problem.

cherrysig.JPG
  • MasadaMasada Registered User
    edited December 2003
    Lurky McPost, thanks for your post. I've had a bunch of problems with my computer over the last couple months and they all ended up being caused by bad ram. If you need to test your ram go to http://www.memtest86.com/ , I used the iso version.

• grandmastervadergrandmastervader Registered User
    edited December 2003
    Im having a problem when I up my system, everytime I do it tells me "boot disk error please insert system disk and press enter".
    I started getting this when i first started up my computer
    and it worked fine, but then when I clicked on a game my system froze and I had to shut it off
    now everytime I start up my pc it gives me that message and i've done everything fromc hanging the ide cables,
    hooking it up to another hd (it wasnt detected or shown), and making sure the power was pluged in right.
    When I check bios it shows up there fine, I dont know what else to do.

• denihilistdenihilist tiny, tiny little man live music capitol of the worldAdministrator admin
    edited January 2004
    To stop messenger pop-ups in XP:

right click My Computer -> manage -> click the '+' on Services and Applications -> click Services -> Look for a service labeled "messenger" and double click it -> in the 'startup type' window select disabled.

I don't know if that will stop it without rebooting but in the same window you can stop and start it so I'm sure you'll figure it out.

• ejolleysejolleys Registered User
    edited July 2004
    My IE seems to have a bug where all the font sizes are large and arial. This is affecting most sites, but some areas are not affected (Example: PA homepage is affected, but the forums aren't). I noticed this happening after working on a CSS on my hard drive for a web site I was making. Is this affecting the browser? Any help remedying it would be greatly appreciated.

• SuperunknownSuperunknown Registered User
    edited August 2005
    Holding ctrl and then scrolling with the scroll wheel changes font sizes on internet browsers. Maybe that's what happened?

Spoiler:
  • MalevolentPirateMalevolentPirate Registered User
    edited August 2005
    Problems with Internet Explorer

Use Firefox

Member Since April 2004
  • DarlanDarlan Registered User regular
    edited September 2005
    Question:

I recently purchased a new eMachines T6520 comp, with an Athlon 64 3200+ processor, imbedded ATI Radeon XPress 200, and 1024 MB of DDR Ram. (I'm includign this in case it's somehow pertinet to the problem-i'm not terrible PC hardware literate.)

Even more recently, I purchased an ATI Radeon X700 Graphics card. I unintall the old video card drivers, plop the new video card in my PCI express slot, and turn the PC on. The comp just whrirrs it's fans real loud and nothing appears on the monitor-the light is still yellow. I take out the new graphics card, and the PC works like normal. Am i missing something here? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

PSN: Toids42
    steam_sig.png
  • redstormpopcornredstormpopcorn Registered User regular
    edited September 2005
    I think you have to disable the onboard video in the BIOS. This probably should have gone in H/A, as well.

emot-kamina.gif BELIEVE IN YOU, WHO BELIEVES IN YOURSELF emot-kamina.gif
  • DarlanDarlan Registered User regular
    edited September 2005
    Thanks for responding, but I'm awful new to dicking around with PC hardware stuff...how do I do those things? (Win MC2005)
    EDIT: Nevermind, after spending hours with support fron eMachines and ATI, it was concluded that the card simply won't work. Still don't know though. I'm afraid to buy another, dunno if that one will wrok. This is why I prefer consoles, but it's hard to say that when comparing HL2 and Halo 2. :)

PSN: Toids42
    steam_sig.png
  • PiousPious Registered User
    edited November 2005
    I hope i'm in the right place for this question.

Well the first prob is with my fire fox browser. For some reason the browser keeps jumping, how can I describe this, the browser just keeps shaking and its very annoying. How do I fix this.

The second prob is also with fire fox. For some reason when I opened my fire fox it told me to use another user, I tried using my default user but it wouldn't let me so I made a new one, and I lost all my faves. How can I get back my faves cause I had some very important sites to remember...and I forgot them. Well I want to fix the prob with my faves first cause if I have to reinstall fire fox for my first prob, I don't want to lose them. Please help.

Untitled_1_4.jpg
  • 246GTS246GTS Registered User
    edited September 2006
    Not sure about the jumping you describe but to open up the profile manager hit start-> run and type "firefox.exe -profilemanager" and you'll load firefox with the profile manager, now switch back to your default profile.

This often happens when firefox crashes and leaves files in the profile open. When it relaunches it can't read the profile because it is is use (by the crashed copy!).

• PiousPious Registered User
    edited September 2006
    246GTS wrote:
    Not sure about the jumping you describe but to open up the profile manager hit start-> run and type "firefox.exe -profilemanager" and you'll load firefox with the profile manager, now switch back to your default profile.

This often happens when firefox crashes and leaves files in the profile open. When it relaunches it can't read the profile because it is is use (by the crashed copy!).

Dude...it took you for almost a year to correct me? I fixed that along time ago. Ha, anyhoo thanks for your help...HAHAHA.

Untitled_1_4.jpg
This discussion has been closed.