As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Constructive Criticism

• ZeromusZeromus Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    Soups wrote: »
    I don't understand why everyone is complaining about the cost. Do you not have jobs? If so, do you not get paid for doing them? Perhaps you're still in middle school and think your parents are the richest people in the world because they could afford to buy you that Happy Meal last week. $20 is like a drop in the bucket, people. It was funny, it was entertaining... there are definitely worse things on which to spend that amount of money.

Hey, screw you. I have a job, but that doesn't mean I can just toss $20 around like it's nothing. I'm not upset at all that I got the game, but I'm not really understanding how defensive some people are getting in here about the price. PAA was really easy, incredibly short for an RPG, and I am of the opinion that $20 is a bit excessive considering the vast amount of other, meatier games that you can get from services like XBLA and Steam for less. Does that necessarily mean that PAA was somehow a waste of money? No, of course not. Does that mean I might opt out of the next episode in favor of something else if it's not a more substantial game or cheaper? Probably. As much as people like you might rally in favor of the price, I'm sure I'm not the only one that feels this way.

Zeromus on
    pygsig.png
  • MadcowMadcow Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    I have to agree with Zeromus to a degree. 20$ isn't a lot of money, but I feel that if I plan to continue to pay that for new episodes I want to make my opinions heard. So in the interest of a proper debate about pro, cons and improvements upon the game and the concept; lets drop the entire price debate. Some of us will probably never see eye to eye on this issue, and that's fine. However, we are all here and posting on the Penny Arcade forum and that says something about us caring enough to do it. So lets debate the game itself, and leave the price issue out of it.

Madcow on
  • elizabexelizabex Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    It was funny, it was entertaining... there are definitely other things on which to spend that amount of money.

Here you go --- fixed. Now your argument makes a little bit of sense.

I downloaded the demo. Enjoyed it. Didn't buy the full game b/c I thought the $20 price point was pretty high.

elizabex on
    elizabex.png
  • DroolDrool Science! AustinRegistered User regular
    edited May 2008
    I'm kinda surprised so many people complain about lack of character options. In a game like this you really don't expect to be able to customize your character at all. I found it fun to play around with, but I wasn't expecting Mass Effect style character creation.

Drool on
  • TheHoodedRoninTheHoodedRonin Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    You guys ever buy like a Blue-Ray movie or a DVD? How much is that? How long does it last? What's it's replay value?

Go to bestbuy, on avg you're looking at $19.99. That is of course if you want something that came out recently. Blue-rays can push the $30.00 range. They last what 1-2 hours? Maybe some special features... seriously who looks at that crap?! As for replay value I suppose you could be one of those freaks that watchs a movie 30 times, other then that maybe once or twice a year you watch it.

20 dollars for 4 hours of entertainment is 5 bucks an hours. Thats 10 dollars for 2 hours. You guys ever go to a movie at the theater anymore? Unless you live in the middle of a cornfield I bet you spend at least 9 dollars on a ticket and if you want a soda thats like 5 dollars more.

Perspective is the name of the game I suppose. It may come down to budget then. But if 20 dollars is a strain at 4 hours, video game hours shouldn't be your worries.

TheHoodedRonin on
  • GuibsGuibs Weekend Warrior Somewhere up North.Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    Here are some of my suggestions:

1- On the 360 version, add an option to adjust contrast/brightness setting directly in the game by the game. The game for some reason was darker than other Xbox 360 games and I had to adjust my HDTV brightness/contrast only for this game.

2- I would also suggestion that the gameplay get adjusted a little. I feel constantly rushed. You have to keep your eyes on the timers for all characters at once, while going into menus, selecting the right items while always keeping your eyes up to time the right block with the right attack.

3- Short for the price. If you want to keep the 20$ price tag, either add replay value to your game or make it last longer.

I'll make a small out of context comment about the price. Some say we should get job if we think 20$ is too much. A lot of people, like myself have jobs, wife, kids, houses (morgage) 2 cars payments to do. We get to be a little bit more selective on where we spend our money on.

4- Allow to skip dialogues... espicially if you are on your second play through...

Guibs on
    jswidget.php?username=Guibs&numitems=10&header=1&text=none&images=small&show=recentplays&imagesonly=1&imagepos=center&inline=1&domains%5B%5D=boardgame&imagewidget=1
    PSN: Guibs25 | XboxLive: Guibs | Steam: Guibsx | Twitch: Guibsx
    edited May 2008
    I'm confused, you want to skip the dialogue? I mean, that's pretty much all the game is. Why would you play this game if you didn't want to read funny things?

Drool on
  • GnomeTankGnomeTank What the what? Portland, OregonRegistered User regular
    edited May 2008
    I find it funny most people will spend 50-60 dollars on some of the games that comes out that are 15-20 hours of play, but won't spend 20 for 10. *shrugs* Oh well, to each his own. Everyone has their opinion and for some people 20 dollars is apparently too much.

GnomeTank on
    Sagroth wrote: »
    Oh c'mon FyreWulff, no one's gonna pay to visit Uranus.
    Steam: Brainling, XBL / PSN: GnomeTank, NintendoID: Brainling, FF14: Zillius Rosh SFV: Brainling
  • Robert KhooRobert Khoo Registered User, ClubPA staff
    edited May 2008
    Thanks for all the feedback guys - it is SUPER helpful.

Robert Khoo on
    Some guy.
  • XaquinXaquin Right behind you!Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    Guibs wrote: »
    2- I would also suggestion that the gameplay get adjusted a little. I feel constantly rushed. You have to keep your eyes on the timers for all characters at once, while going into menus, selecting the right items while always keeping your eyes up to time the right block with the right attack.

I agree with this.

But then again, I may just be bad at the game. It wouldn't be the first time I was bad at a game I love.

Xaquin on
  • SoultakerSoultaker Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    GnomeTank wrote: »
    I find it funny most people will spend 50-60 dollars on some of the games that comes out that are 15-20 hours of play, but won't spend 20 for 10. *shrugs* Oh well, to each his own.
    I think the 10 hours figure is very generous. I'm not sure if the game keeps statistics, but I'm fairly sure I spent less than six hours on my first playthrough, finishing all possible quests and defeating all enemies (though not finding all collectibles). That means 24 hours of gameplay for 80 dollars; less playtime than most RPGs offer for a lot higher price. Considering how you don't even get a hard copy of the game that is pretty expensive.

If you want to make short episodes that are only available online, fine, but it would be nice if they were priced accordingly.

Soultaker on
    edited May 2008
    Hothead has only ever said 6-9 hours. I'm pretty sure 10+ is coming from other places. If you take your time and read every description and click on everything you can make it last though.

Drool on
  • SirsonSirson Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    The price didn't bug me at all, but I make a decent living and I love Penny Arcade sooo I'm a bit of a fanboy in that regard, the only other download prices I can compare it to are songs in Rockband, another game which I love that I've spent a lot of money on, and the downloadable content for Mass Effect. In contrast to these purchases I believe it was a fair price. $19.99 sounds so much better then 20 bucks doesn't it?

Sirson on
  • DagrabbitDagrabbit Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    Yeah, I get the "Interact" icon issue on the 360 as well. Maybe if there's a lot of objects in one area, I can hit the triggers to cycle through icons in my range or something. I like how densely populated the areas are with things to look at, but it does become a bit of a chore to read each poster in a row in Hobo Alley without a mouse.

The more I play the game, the more I like it. I just had to spend a few battles digging into the battle system to "get it". Clean up the interface for the 360 version, and you've got a winner as far as I'm concerned.

My one request would be to be able to carry over my character stats from one episode to the next. I'll be a little sad if I have to restart each time after putting work into filling my Overkill boxes, for example.

Dagrabbit on
  • METAzraeLMETAzraeL Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    it's a little thing, but I'd like to see new costume options for the main character if it transfers over.

METAzraeL on

dream a little dream or you could live a little dream
    sleep forever if you wish to be a dreamer
  • NotASenatorNotASenator Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    I'd pay $20 for a lesser game if I knew I could turn my feedback in basically directly to the CEO of the company and know that it was going to taken into consideration for future episodes.

That being said, if I compare it to A++ games I've played recently, getting maybe 15-25 hours back from my $60, I think the ratio is definately in favor of PAA. Especially considering the brilliant artistic direction and humor. Even if the gameplay to dollar ratio wasn't so good, it would be deserving of a premium.

NotASenator on
  • TankHammerTankHammer Atlanta Ghostbuster Atlanta, GARegistered User regular
    edited May 2008
    Perhaps in the next episode our dear protagonist will get to choose a class. Will he study the forbidden knowledge of Tycho's library or will he hang out with Gabe and learn how to hit devils hard enough to kill them? Maybe he'll apprentice to Anne-Claire and become a ranged technological warrior?

I'm just tossing this out there. It doesn't have to be too deep, I just wish I had gotten to choose my method of combat as well as my appearance. Rake guy/girl was fun but I'm sure more personality can be funneled into him/her or at least the perception of personality.

TankHammer on
  • stebuustebuu Crabs are fucking crazy, and I hate horses Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    Perhaps in the next episode our dear protagonist will get to choose a class. Will he study the forbidden knowledge of Tycho's library or will he hang out with Gabe and learn how to hit devils hard enough to kill them? Maybe he'll apprentice to Anne-Claire and become a ranged technological warrior?

Respectfully, that is a HORRIBLE idea. Too many people would want to apprentice with Thomas Kemper.

stebuu on
    edited May 2008
    stebuu wrote: »

Respectfully, that is a HORRIBLE idea. Too many people would want to apprentice with Thomas Kemper.

I'm waiting for you to get to the part where that is a bad thing.
    INDUSTRIAL LASER! PACHOO! PACHOO!

I was just suggesting that the main character get to choose a standard caster/melee/ranged role. It's not really that big of a deal, I was just dropping it in the suggestion box. I don't mind being a dude that smacks things with a rake in the next installment.

TankHammer on
  • SoultakerSoultaker Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    Dagrabbit wrote: »
    I'll be a little sad if I have to restart each time after putting work into filling my Overkill boxes, for example.
    How do you fill in those boxes? Make overkills? And if so, what does filling those in get you?

Soultaker on
  • Captain ElevenCaptain Eleven The last card is a kronk Registered User regular
    edited May 2008

I'm just tossing this out there. It doesn't have to be too deep, I just wish I had gotten to choose my method of combat as well as my appearance. Rake guy/girl was fun but I'm sure more personality can be funneled into him/her or at least the perception of personality.

This would be totally rad, even if choosing your class is purely cosmetic.

Captain Eleven on
    steam_sig.png
  • MegaMan001MegaMan001 CRNA Rochester, MNRegistered User regular
    edited May 2008
    I'd really like to see a few things added in the next game.

1. Please put in a way for me to practice my new special attacks when I recieve them. Nothing is more annoying then getting my main character's third level attack, then being totally unable to use it. It's like a slap in the face after I wait so long to use the ability - let alone if I try to set up an Overkill.

2. If I kill an enemy with a counterattack, it should be an Overkill. More than a few times I've been waiting to get an Overkill and then accidentally blocked too well, killed the enemy, and then lost out on the Overkill bonus.

3. I like combat the way it is. It's a little frantic, but that's a welcome change of pace in my book. Typically I keep one character on items while the other two attacks (usually the item user is whoever's attacks are weak against the enemy.

4. Please, Please God - let me listen to the awesome music when I am moving around locales. Why do I have to sit in silence, except for sound effects, when exploring? I love the item descriptions in this game, and still chuckle at the "You feel hollow inside" when I don't find anything. I feel like I am punished for taking my time because it's so damn quiet.

MegaMan001 on
    I am in the business of saving lives.
  • mynameisguidomynameisguido Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    I pretty much love the game so far--a few complaints:

The text on items is far too small in the Xbox 360. Until I learned what the items were I had to strain my eyes to see what all those various things were.

The difficulty spikes are insane. Going from the "tutorial" stage to Hobo Alley is a gigantic spike in difficulty. I had to put down the controller for a couple of hours and come back to it.

Related to this, it would be nice if you had a place where you could level a bit if a particular challenge is a bit too difficult (especially Hobo Alley).

mynameisguido on
    steam_sig.png
  • PhoenixragePhoenixrage Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    Dialogs to be pre-battle. I really like the little exchanges they have (like the Robot Key dialogue), but it was hard getting to enjoy it while I'm keeping an eye on blocks on my attack meters. If those dialogues stay in during battle, I'd like them out of the way a little more, the bubbles got in the way of being able block or even see an attack was coming.

Phoenixrage on
  • BilliamBilliam Registered User new member
    edited May 2008
    A mostly great job. Needs to be longer, but I think that's been said. Is the soundtrack going to be made available?

Billiam on
  • SoupsSoups Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    elizabex wrote: »
    It was funny, it was entertaining... there are definitely other things on which to spend that amount of money.

I downloaded the demo. Enjoyed it. Didn't buy the full game b/c I thought the $20 price point was pretty high.

So you're saying this is the absolute worst way to spend $20.

Think before you type.

Soups on
    DitchTheJock.png
  • 1 X 11 X 1 Registered User new member
    edited May 2008
    I'm really surprised at people complaining about the difficulty jump. It was near "minimal" and that is a generous term.

To those of you that defined the jump as 'huge,' please elaborate.

1 X 1 on
  • JazmeisterJazmeister Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    NO PULSE,

I'd buy ten of these before I'd buy another puzzle quest, but that's another discussion. My viewpoint is heavily weighted in light of the following:

Every evening, before work, I check penny arcade for new posts/comics. I read the comics, and laugh. I read the posts, and laugh, and click links, ads, etc. It's a great system, but for one flaw. It's not enough!
    Now, I spent $20 (10 GBP, actually, sorry americans) and I have 5 hours of comics. That would take 6 months to accumulate! It's great! And not only can I click on everything, do every quest, try every dialogue option, and write pages of FAQs for gamefaqs, but there's combat and unlockables and...

Okay, the flash minigames, I found, were annoying. I prided myself on winning the bare minimum of each coin. My wife, on the other hand, loaded up her game to show me something and I spied 20+ OF EACH GODDAMNED COIN. I don't know, man, but it's driven a wedge into our marriage.
    The bugs suck, obviously, but overall I loved the experience. I really thought, you know, after reading the PC Gamer review, it would be actually annoying to fight. But, you know, once you work out the quirks of the combat, it's actually really satisfying to block an attack out of pure timing skills while your eyes are busy looking through items. Or, you know, to queue up an attack with the mouse while mashing space for gabe's special.
    I liked engineering the battle to allow maximum overkill earning, resisting the urge to counter so that those in need could finish off. The chaotic thing... that's what combat is like, right? Then, you acheive enlightenment, and you're cleaning up with those guys, and they're the ones swamped with a chaos of incoming rakes, bullets, and urine-hands. The tiny inventory seemed right too, rummaging around in your briefcase for the right potion. The attack debuff is called double-weak mild sauce! Yeah!

And there are so many fruit fuckers! My wife and I spent a lot of time together on this, and she'd never met a fruit fucker before. I showed her some comics, and she got it, and then when the first fruit fucker says
    "Hey man, you gotta let me get up on that,"
    It was hysteria. and if we had differen't computers, we'd buy two. My brother asked me for my code, and I told him to pack his bags, coz he's going on a guilt trip. "It's penny arcade, man! You want to do that to penny arcade? That's like saying you don't want them to make another one! Save up ten pounds ffs!"

So, yeah, awesome game. It was worth my money, although 10-15 pounds is probably reaching the limit of what I'd pay for a few hours. Then again, I can show this to everyone that comes round, and say, hey look, the PA game, it's like a comic with added awesome!

I'm not sure if I'm replying to you anymore, but still, you know... great! I'm going to bed!

Jazmeister on
  • ZhirzzhZhirzzh Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    1: Too easy after you start returning to the same areas. If you don't want to add more enemies, just power them up when you return.
    2: Puzzles. I would like to avoid the surrealist style some games fall into, but as it's an adventure game, some logic puzzles would be nice.
    3: You need to allow key bindings. I know other people have said it, but it needs to happen.
    4: Allow dialog to change things. As it is, while the flavor dialog is nice, nothing you say really does anything. Why not allow players to influence upcoming fights or quests with dialog?
    5: More customization. Your character should be able to distribute the stats he gains when leveling as he wants.
    6: On that note: White and black apparel. I must have a black top hat and white gloves.

Overall, it's very funny, looks nice, and the combat was better than I expected. Looking forward to the next one.

Zhirzzh on
    steam_sig.png
  • Steel AngelSteel Angel Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    I was just suggesting that the main character get to choose a standard caster/melee/ranged role. It's not really that big of a deal, I was just dropping it in the suggestion box. I don't mind being a dude that smacks things with a rake in the next installment.

I am totally for this. While going around with a rake makes sense for someone who literally charged off from their yard, it would make sense to look into a more robust combat style after getting more used to being an adventurous sort.
    Dialogs to be pre-battle.

This. It is very hard to appreciate the dialogue and writing when mimes are knocking off a third of your health at the start of battle while text bubbles cover the flash on life bars.

Steel Angel on
    Big Dookie wrote: »
    I found that tilting it doesn't work very well, and once I started jerking it, I got much better results.

Steam Profile
    3DS: 3454-0268-5595 Battle.net: SteelAngel#1772
  • antichrisantichris Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    1 X 1 wrote: »
    I'm really surprised at people complaining about the difficulty jump. It was near "minimal" and that is a generous term.

I just went from using almost no consumables, to using lots of consumables. But they are so plentiful that I never had to "farm" them.

I think the complaints about difficulty level are coming from RPG players that are used to being able to go "level up" for several hours if they cannot defeat a boss.

antichris on
    "Everything was going great - That is, until he fought the devil."
    My name is antichris, and I approve this message.
  • talonthehandtalonthehand Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    elizabex wrote: »

So you're saying this is the absolute worst way to spend $20.

Think before you type.

Are you feeling a little touchy? All he said was that this wasn't the absolute best way to spend $20.

talonthehand on
  • EyeoftheIslandEyeoftheIsland Registered User new member
    edited May 2008
    I purchased this game on the 360, am very close to finishing it (right before the last fight I believe) and felt I should pour my thoughts on what I'd like in chapter 2 into this thread. Some of you guys had the same feelings as me.

1. More drama between "rake man" and Gabe/Tycho - sometimes it feels like rake man is a bit of a third wheel, I'd like to see him become more like one of the guys, group hug maybe?

2. More clothes - fingerless gloves, fedoras, eye patch, hook arm and such

3. Non-linear dialogue - sometimes it forces you to pick each option

4. More background info on the game universe

5. Let me play that great "Beginning of the end" tune ingame

I pretty much just want more of everything. I actually enjoy the frantic combat and hope that they don't make it easier. Overall I love the game, especially the writing style and hilarious descriptions of everyday objects. Can't wait for episode 2.

EyeoftheIsland on
  • BlackDoveBlackDove Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    1 X 1 wrote: »

They mean when you get to hobo alley, the fruit fuckers and the hobos in general are much more difficult than the ones in the first area (and similar for pelican bay). The game starts requiring more attention and more tactical planning with what you do, then it gleans it from the start. It's especially noticable when you're the lowest level you can be in a new stronger area.

Personally I love how it all turned out, the difficulty makes the combat fun by forcing me to pay attention intead of using the old tried and true Final Fantasy superpattern of "Attack > Monster" or if you really wanna shake it up "Black Magic > Firaga > Monster" until everyone does their little victory dance. The blocking forces you to look at the entire situation and the opponents health for the flash, the timed attacks force you to plan how to execute your attacks, and the very few items that are available are super efficient at what they are meant to do, not to mention choosing an item stops time in order for you to catch your breath.

It's all generally very fun to the end. To those who found the thing too difficult - less Halo, more Japanese games.

BlackDove on
  • PodunkPodunk Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    My only comment on improvement would be the special attacks. Like someone said earlier, I found myself not using them during the second half the game unless I was using them to fill up the checkmarks on my overkills. Gabe and Tycho's third level attack helped that a little bit with their multiple targetness, but overall, I just kept using my normal attacks since they seemed to do the job quicker (unless I wanted to drop a couple clowns at the same time for giggles.) But really, this is more of a nitpick than a criticism. Great game. Almost done my second playthrough.

Podunk on
    camo_sig2.png
  • PhawxPhawx Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    What about a 'New Game+' feature like ChronoTrigger. You can start the game over again with all of your stuff decked out.

Phawx on
    edited May 2008
    Phawx wrote: »
    What about a 'New Game+' feature like ChronoTrigger. You can start the game over again with all of your stuff decked out.

That would be a bit boring and far too easy.

I mean did you see what happens to those mimes when you have your final weapons?

TankHammer on
  • PhawxPhawx Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    Well, in ChronoTrigger, you could technically beat the game under the max level. RPoD kind of has a forced leveling mechanic. So maybe in the other episodes we could finish the game and still get our lvl higher when we run through it again.

The sick thing is, there is a couple of people out there that have played this game like 5 times over. 1100+ kills on the leaderboards. Thats someone who can't get himself enough PA.

Phawx on
  • Lord BeansLord Beans Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    Great game! (so far - I still haven't finished)
    The thing I want most is probably customization + shops, plus respawning bad guys (the trash cans and boxes respawn, why not the monsters?), plus more places to explore (I'm assuming that the circus place is the last place).

Lord Beans on
  • MumblyfishMumblyfish Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    Phawx wrote: »
    Well, in ChronoTrigger, you could technically beat the game under the max level.
    You can kind-of, sort-of do that in Precipice. The save files are easily read and altered in notepad. Among the fields are experience points, equipment and combat bonuses, and so on. For my second playthrough, I didn't get any optional upgrades (new weapons, overkills and the two quests for the protaganist), and I saved before every major section and boss fight so that I could open the save file and set the experience for all characters to zero, knocking them down to level one.

The combat is fucking superb when even a partial block results in death. Getting a maxed-out hit counter and keeping momentum so that opponents never get a turn in becomes essential to survival, a novel component of the combat mechanics that is surprisingly never mentioned in the tutorial. The final boss is actually fun - really, really fun - when played with lv1, minimally upgraded characters, as opposed to the boring curb-stomp that it is at lv15.

That makes me all the more disappointed that a zero-experience mode - and difficulty settings - aren't included by default. Come on, Hothead. It can be emulated by opening notepad.

Mumblyfish on