As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

David Bowie Appreciation Thread

TehSpectreTehSpectre Registered User regular
edited November 2011 in Debate and/or Discourse
DavidBowie001.jpg

Not really, though.

9u72nmv0y64e.jpg
TehSpectre on

• Options
    edited November 2011
    [

TehSpectre on
    9u72nmv0y64e.jpg
  • Options
    FeralFeral MEMETICHARIZARD interior crocodile alligator ⇔ ǝɹʇɐǝɥʇ ǝᴉʌoɯ ʇǝloɹʌǝɥɔ ɐ ǝʌᴉɹp ᴉRegistered User regular
    edited May 2008
    I always get the urge to do this. Sometimes I satisfy that urge.

This means I might get raped by a hobo someday.

Feral on
    every person who doesn't like an acquired taste always seems to think everyone who likes it is faking it. it should be an official fallacy.

the "no true scotch man" fallacy.
  • Options
    edited November 2011
    [

TehSpectre on
    9u72nmv0y64e.jpg
  • Options
    FirstComradeStalinFirstComradeStalin Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    I half expected this to turn into one of those picture horror stories from the Disturbing & Terrifying Stories thread when I saw the second post.

Edit: Oops, it appears it almost was.

FirstComradeStalin on
    Picture1-4.png
  • Options
    edited November 2011
    [

TehSpectre on
    9u72nmv0y64e.jpg
  • Options
    edited November 2011
    [

TehSpectre on
    9u72nmv0y64e.jpg
  • Options
    HilgerHilger Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    I half expected this to turn into one of those picture horror stories from the Disturbing & Terrifying Stories thread when I saw the second post.

Edit: Oops, it appears it almost was.
    Half expected this to pop out of that tunnel thing:
    ring_2_site_2.jpg

Hilger on
  • Options
    DarkPrimusDarkPrimus Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    Something awesome that always sounded like a thing I'd like to do sometime, but I ain't got the motivation to figure out all the logistics of doing it. If I knew someone who was gonna do it though I'd ask to come along.

DarkPrimus on
  • Options
    edited November 2011
    [

TehSpectre on
    9u72nmv0y64e.jpg
  • Options
    edited November 2011
    [

TehSpectre on
    9u72nmv0y64e.jpg
  • Options
    JebusUDJebusUD Adventure! Candy IslandRegistered User regular
    edited May 2008
    I love me some urbex, but unfortunately have not done alot. I have checked out a storm drain that I think was built in the before 1920 at least. It is made of granite stones and connects into the modern concrete sewer system. I should go take pictures.

I have explored the woods and the islands nearby. There is an abandoned bunker/shed in the woods, and two granite block bridges that have collapsed into the river.

Another interesting, semi-abandoned, area around here is the Quarry state park. It is an old abandoned quarry that has been made a park. It sports huge filled quarry ponds, old equipment, huge granite slag piles, and places where there is still steel bars and such sticking out of the ground ready. These probably held the crane guy wires down. Also some abandoned very small structures there that I have not been to yet.

Then there are some stairs that lead down to the river that have been blocked off on campus, not much there except some graffiti. I would like to get into the underground tunnels on campus but that is hard. They are always locked. Apparently they used to be used by the students but are filled with asbestos.

Maybe I will go take some pictures soon.

JebusUD on
    and I wonder about my neighbors even though I don't have them
    but they're listening to every word I say
  • Options
    edited November 2011
    [

TehSpectre on
    9u72nmv0y64e.jpg
  • Options
    edited November 2011
    [

TehSpectre on
    9u72nmv0y64e.jpg
  • Options
    METAzraeLMETAzraeL Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    Storm drains are cool, but they're not as exciting as anyone raised on ninja turtles would hope. We walked a few miles up one from the river, and it was basically the same throughout.

METAzraeL on

dream a little dream or you could live a little dream
    sleep forever if you wish to be a dreamer
  • Options
    edited November 2011
    [

TehSpectre on
    9u72nmv0y64e.jpg
  • Options
    JebusUDJebusUD Adventure! Candy IslandRegistered User regular
    edited May 2008
    TehSpectre wrote: »
    Draining is pretty dangerous, META, and as you said, it is usually pretty unrewarding.

However, there can be some really cool graffiti and/or rooms down there, depending on where you go.

I might go take some pictures from the different drains in my area to show you.

Yeah, the one I explored was pretty cool, because it was so old. It went about 100yrds back and then came to a chamber with a ladder up to street level and a ledge halfway up to rest on. it had two very sloping tubes on both the left and the right and it went straight back, but the further back part looked like the tunnel was caving in a bit and was half filled with dirt. No water flowed back there.

JebusUD on
    and I wonder about my neighbors even though I don't have them
    but they're listening to every word I say
  • Options
    TeeManTeeMan BrainSpoon Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    Its a shame my city isn't particularly old or large, and thus doesn't have many interesting/old places that have been neglected, to explore.

I've always been really curious whats on the other side of those doors you see in random alleys though...

TeeMan on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    TarranonTarranon Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    I once signed up to be alerted to any goings ons 50 miles in my radius at that UE website.

So far my only notice was for something called a,"crack meeting"

Tarranon on
    You could be anywhere
    On the black screen
  • Options
    edited November 2011
    [

TehSpectre on
    9u72nmv0y64e.jpg
  • Options
    edited May 2008
    Ours are super clean and plain here - plenty of drain ventilation and waterflow. I still use the same sandals I walked in :) We thought about um art er making, but it's too much work to go down there for that. And yeah, ha, our original hope was to find a room or something to chill in. Been meaning to try a different location.

My most successful exploring was also one that triggered an alarm, and, if our paranoid, flight-obsessed brains were correct, alerted the cops. That was a scary night.

Lately I've been satisfying my exploration urges by trying to find good new places to dumpster dive, but for whatever reason diving success has declined since Spring.

METAzraeL on

• Options
    Stupid Mr Whoopsie NameStupid Mr Whoopsie Name Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited May 2008
    Awesome thread, Spec. Most of the places here aren't suitable enough for UE =(

Stupid Mr Whoopsie Name on
  • Options
    edited May 2008
    Where do you live TeeMan, I'd be happy to look up a list of locations near you.

Currently Athens, Georgia. I think my profile was setup for Atlanta. You'd think they'd have more abandoned buildings there, but who knows!

I'd be interested if you knew of anything around me though.

edit;
    ahahaha. I thought you were just making up a nickname for me on the spot. Only now did I glance up and notice there was someone named TeeMan in the post above mine.

Tarranon on
    You could be anywhere
    On the black screen
  • Options
    edited November 2011
    [

TehSpectre on
    9u72nmv0y64e.jpg
  • Options
    edited May 2008
    San Fran is supposed to have a bunch of good places from what I've heard. Maybe I'll look around next time I head over there.

Man, all this makes me really want to go out right now, but it's all rainy and cold. Stupid desert summers, humph.

METAzraeL on

• Options
    edited May 2008
    Well, I work at a veritable geriatrics ward, so it shouldn't be so hard. A sleuthing I will go!

Creating convenient introduction...
    Fabricating excuse...
    Obtaining Old Spice(bait)...

Tarranon on
    You could be anywhere
    On the black screen
  • Options
    Stupid Mr Whoopsie NameStupid Mr Whoopsie Name Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited May 2008
    I remember reading about the Ocean Liner in On The Road with a bit of envy. The Cola plant would have been groovy.

The bunkers at Fort Point are neat but don't really go anywhere, you know? Just kinda like small sheds.

But do let me know if you come across anything.

Stupid Mr Whoopsie Name on
  • Options
    dlinfinitidlinfiniti Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    I used to do a lot of UE when i was in school in Bethlehem PA at that abandoned steel plant (Bethlehem Steel). Good damn that thing was a Urban Explorer's wet dream. Giant warehouses with old equiptment complete with underground tunnels and huge blasting furnaces with massive aboveground walkways that snake everywhere. The thing is a massive above and underground labyrinth. And to add frosting to the cake, there were active freight train rails that ran through the place so if you wanted to get from one end of the complex to the other and was lucky you might be able to 'catch a ride.' I would go there about once every other weeknight with a buddy and explore our hearts out. I still don't think I've seen all that place had to offer. I regret not bringing my camera on these trips but since we usually did them in at nights it woulda been pretty useless as the flash woulda attracted cops who were already wary of us college kids running around that place. Too bad i they're tearing it down in the near future and turning it into a shopping mega complex of some sort

dlinfiniti on
    AAAAA!!! PLAAAYGUUU!!!!
  • Options
    Regicid3Regicid3 Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    My friend and I explored a storm drain yesterday. We started very slowly as my friend was leading and he was scared. Don't get me wrong, I was terrified too but I don't like going so slow. We made it to our landmark (a random rock) and came back out. I suggested that we went back in and this time that I lead. I went a lot faster than my friend and we made it to a detour.

You could either go right, get in the prone position and crawl, keep going straight or climb the ladder to the street. That's when the though popped into my head "Hm, could we be inhaling something bad?" so I decided it was time to turn around. We do plan to go back but I definitely want to investigate the tunnel some more before we go deeper. The OP even mentions the risk of inhaling some bad shit.

I love Urban Exploration. I could be added in the OP for Sewer Dragins. :)

What do you all think is proper attire for UE? If I'm to go deeper in this drain, I want to get more than loose fitting fishing boots and winter gloves.

Regicid3 on
  • Options
    FalxFalx Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    NBC suit.
    Hardhat with a light could help, especially if the tunnel/drain is abandoned (chunks of rock do not care on who they fall)

Falx on
  • Options
    Venkman90Venkman90 Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    You guys should read The Raw Shark Texts

http://www.rawsharktexts.com/

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Raw_Shark_Texts (avoid the summary for spoilers)

Has a whole concept of "Un-Space" and a group dedicated to explore it, Un-Space being the gaps in civilsation such as abandoned warehouses, un-used buildings etc...

It's also set largley in my home city and some of the novel takes place not 5 minutes from my office.

Venkman90 on
  • Options
    edited November 2011
    [

TehSpectre on
    9u72nmv0y64e.jpg
  • Options
    edited November 2011
    [

TehSpectre on
    9u72nmv0y64e.jpg
  • Options
    edited May 2008
    Yeah, I am definitely going to be bringing a headlamp next time we go. What should we get to keep ourselves dry? We both had fishing boots when we went in, I'm thinking we should just get a full body suit or something? I don't want to have to leave because we got wet and are freezing.

What kind of camera do you have, Spec?

Regicid3 on
  • Options
    edited May 2008
    Also, where in Mass do you live, Regi?

Springfield

Regicid3 on
  • Options
    edited November 2011
    [

TehSpectre on
    9u72nmv0y64e.jpg
  • Options
    edited November 2011
    [

TehSpectre on
    9u72nmv0y64e.jpg
  • Options
    edited May 2008
    I work in Holyoke. What is in Holyoke?

Regicid3 on
  • Options
    FalxFalx Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    Hip waders could work, but I have an idea that going in anything deeper would not be a good idea.

Falx on
  • Options
    edited May 2008
    Yeah, if it's up to my waist then I'm not going any further. The drain only went above my ankles.

Regicid3 on
  • Options
    edited November 2011
    [

TehSpectre on
    9u72nmv0y64e.jpg