As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

David Bowie Appreciation Thread

• Options
    RocketSauceRocketSauce Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    Inquisitor wrote: »
    TehSpectre wrote: »
    Buy a disposable, they're like $8.

Touche.

What other supplies might one want?

Good flashlight. Some backup batteries.

RocketSauce on
  • Options
    DasUberEdwardDasUberEdward Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    Everyone's posting a lot of awesome stuff here. This is a captivating thread.

DasUberEdward on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    PantsBPantsB Fake Thomas Jefferson Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    Where is it?

here

More photos yay!
    2jczq07.jpg
    The outside entrance. I believe this part of the building was actually once the Cliquot Club soda company back around the turn of the 20th century. I know it's the same site pretty-much. The rails were originally laid out on this route as shipping lines for that company.

iylbf6.jpg
    I enjoyed how well-lit and clean the place is (for now, they're nearly finished grabbing all the stuff they plan to salvage). I especially liked taking photos showing the diversity in the structure.

14d1qhz.jpg
    We found these lockboxes all neatly stacked with keys. I didn't think to open them and now I wish I had.

ay7pt0.jpg
    A nice shot with some interesting color. This control activated either a nearby lift or one of the other machines.

2rzoq6r.jpg
    Of course the sign above it made me feel so wonderfully safe and secure.

30139n6.jpg
    This is the entrance to the only sealed-off building. All other entrances are bricked-up with big "NO ENTRY" and "CONDEMNED" notices.

vgq6ns.jpg
    The interior was not as interesting as I had hoped.

2hi6ki9.jpg
    A few of the guard shacks had an eerie vibe to them. They still had their 1970s-era desks, file cabinets and orange desk chairs.

23vj7kz.jpg
    Some of the aforementioned conveyor belts fed through here. Lots of dark, tight spaces. This place was gonna get creepy once animals start moving into the abandoned facility.

123a2jn.jpg
    Upon stepping off of a stairway onto a metal walkway I glanced down to reassure myself of my steady footing. What I really did was notice that I could see clear down a several-story drop beneath the walkway. Thanks grated catwalks!

2afcw05.jpg
    Thanks guys for keeping the factory in such great shape!

I hear the company is moving the operation down south now, somewhere around Florida. I wonder, what will become of the place that has been in this town all my life?
    Might pass this one along to some people I know, does your friend guard it? Active security? My gf's brother has done most of the big places in the state (hospitals especially) and has started going to Upstate NY and the like.

I did the subway tunnel between South Station and Downtown Crossing and between Park St and Boylston in Boston in High School. A guy at work did the steam tunnels under Philly (while he was at Drexel) from (near) 30th St Station under the Schuykill and a couple dozen more blocks onto the other side. There were maps down there and everything (not the underground pedestrian walkways).

PantsB on
    11793-1.png
    day9gosu.png
    QEDMF xbl: PantsB G+
  • Options
    AntimatterAntimatter Devo Was Right Gates of SteelRegistered User regular
    edited September 2008
    PantsB wrote: »
    Where is it?

here

More photos yay!
    2jczq07.jpg
    The outside entrance. I believe this part of the building was actually once the Cliquot Club soda company back around the turn of the 20th century. I know it's the same site pretty-much. The rails were originally laid out on this route as shipping lines for that company.

iylbf6.jpg
    I enjoyed how well-lit and clean the place is (for now, they're nearly finished grabbing all the stuff they plan to salvage). I especially liked taking photos showing the diversity in the structure.

14d1qhz.jpg
    We found these lockboxes all neatly stacked with keys. I didn't think to open them and now I wish I had.

ay7pt0.jpg
    A nice shot with some interesting color. This control activated either a nearby lift or one of the other machines.

2rzoq6r.jpg
    Of course the sign above it made me feel so wonderfully safe and secure.

30139n6.jpg
    This is the entrance to the only sealed-off building. All other entrances are bricked-up with big "NO ENTRY" and "CONDEMNED" notices.

vgq6ns.jpg
    The interior was not as interesting as I had hoped.

2hi6ki9.jpg
    A few of the guard shacks had an eerie vibe to them. They still had their 1970s-era desks, file cabinets and orange desk chairs.

23vj7kz.jpg
    Some of the aforementioned conveyor belts fed through here. Lots of dark, tight spaces. This place was gonna get creepy once animals start moving into the abandoned facility.

123a2jn.jpg
    Upon stepping off of a stairway onto a metal walkway I glanced down to reassure myself of my steady footing. What I really did was notice that I could see clear down a several-story drop beneath the walkway. Thanks grated catwalks!

2afcw05.jpg
    Thanks guys for keeping the factory in such great shape!

I hear the company is moving the operation down south now, somewhere around Florida. I wonder, what will become of the place that has been in this town all my life?
    Might pass this one along to some people I know, does your friend guard it?

I remember him talking about this place before in the Nerf thread. He said his friend guarded it, and that he planned to play live action team fortress 2 with nerf guns.

Antimatter on
  • Options
    fuelishfuelish Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    I have really enjoyed this thread. When I was a kid we used to crawl thru the drain tunnels of the aprtment complex we lived in. The tunnels went all thru the complex and each ended in a bunker like trap. Some of the tunnels were more than a hindred feet long and tight for a 12 year old to crawl thru.
    When I got a little older we started climbing on the roofs of buildings, not to many abandoned buildings in Raleigh, so we would find a way to the top and climb around. Then it was the Huge drains under NCSU, kids used them to cosplay D&D. Later I got a chance to explore the abandoned Marine base in Edenton NC. Shacks and buildings in the middle of woods growing up since WW2. Once I got to check out an abondoned cotton mill. Giant rooms, huge boiler. That place was awesome. It had been closed for years and was used to store coupons. There were so many coupons I had brought a skid loader for the contractor to clean it out. they were piled to the ceiling. That place is now houses high end condos. I wish I had a camera back then.

fuelish on
    Another day in the bike shop Pretty much what it sounds like. The secret lifestyle, laid open.
  • Options
    InquisitorInquisitor Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    Hmm, I actually think I know of a place to explore very close to my house. I didn't think about it at first because it's more nature-y then I thought was originally applicable for this thread.

When my folks get back with a camera I will hit it up.

Inquisitor on
  • Options
    maximumzeromaximumzero I...wait, what? New Orleans, LARegistered User regular
    edited September 2008
    If we've got anyone from CT they need to go snooping around Holyland USA

Fucking creepy.

And I've always wanted to check out Six Flags New Orleans post-hurricane Photos during Hurricane

And there was one other one I was thinking of...but I can't seem to think of it.

There's also an old school in the neighborhood that's all boarded up I've always been curious to see what's inside, and why they just haven't torn it down yet.

And there's another one like a block away that's also boarded up. Creepy.

This, too, for some reason is really fucking eerie.

maximumzero on
    FU7kFbw.png
    Switch: 6200-8149-0919 / Wii U: maximumzero / 3DS: 0860-3352-3335 / eBay Shop
  • Options
    CangoFettCangoFett Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    Yknow guys, maybe some of these are condemned due to, yknow, being not safe? Like asbestos, or its about to collapse, or radscorpions? I mean, these photos are awesome, and more power to you dudes, but, I cant imagine the ammount of doctor visits in the future that go all

Doc: So uh... Howd you get lung cancer?
    Patient: Asbestos
    Doc: ...Wer...were you a construction worker, or building naval ships or something?
    Patient: Nope, explorin' condemned buildings
    Doc: The ones that say, "Condemned, unsafe, keep out" ?
    Patient: Thats the one.

CangoFett on
  • Options
    TehSpectreTehSpectre Registered User regular
    edited November 2011
    ]

TehSpectre on
    9u72nmv0y64e.jpg
  • Options
    JRoseyJRosey Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    That respirator is a godsend. Except that it makes breathing while running away from the fuzz a bit tricky. And you look like one suspicious motherfucker.

JRosey on
  • Options
    beauVSIIbeauVSII Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    CangoFett wrote: »
    Yknow guys, maybe some of these are condemned due to, yknow, being not safe? Like asbestos, or its about to collapse, or radscorpions? I mean, these photos are awesome, and more power to you dudes, but, I cant imagine the ammount of doctor visits in the future that go all

Doc: So uh... Howd you get lung cancer?
    Patient: Asbestos
    Doc: ...Wer...were you a construction worker, or building naval ships or something?
    Patient: Nope, explorin' condemned buildings
    Doc: The ones that say, "Condemned, unsafe, keep out" ?
    Patient: Thats the one.
    3M%206200%20Dust%20Mask.jpg

Quiet you! Get in that tunnel and take some pics already! hahaha:lol:

beauVSII on
    "And i was like, Yeah Bitch - I'm Having this!"
  • Options
    TL DRTL DR Not at all confident in his reflexive opinions of thingsRegistered User regular
    edited September 2008
    JRosey wrote: »
    That respirator is a godsend. Except that it makes breathing while running away from the fuzz a bit tricky. And you look like one suspicious motherfucker.

There is a strong correlation between wearing what looks like a fucking gas mask and the likelihood of a concerned citizen calling the cops.

TL DR on
  • Options
    edited November 2011
    ]

TehSpectre on
    9u72nmv0y64e.jpg
  • Options
    ImprovoloneImprovolone Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    There have been enough stories in Orlando about missing college kids to worry me about doing some of this. Granted, I am not a hot girl, so my mileage may vary.
    Behind a Wendy's near me is a small dirt path into the woods. It leads to a nasty lookin 'swimming hole', beer cans all over, and a rope swing attached high up on a tree. It was neat, and I want to check it out more, but I was wearing very poor sandals at the time.
    Theatre access ladders can get me onto the roof of my school's theatre. Neat sights and shit, and this is making me want to explore more buildings. It's kind of interesting how if you look like you know where you are going and what you are doing, no one bothers you.
    I also explored a science center that I worked at. A friend had been given a key that opened... alot of stuff. The roof and control rooms were neat and all, but the coolest thing that I found were original models from The Nightmare Before Christmas still in their display case in some back room (they were featured items from a show a few years ago).

What are the salvage rights for these abandoned buildings? I'm not advocating taking things, especially because it would destroy the asthetic of it all, but I'm curious.

Improvolone on
    Voice actor for hire. My time is free if your project is!
  • Options
    atat23atat23 Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    I think you have to buy salvage rights for buildings, that probably covers the materials the buildings are made from, not sure about the contents though.

Help yourself to as many empty beer cans as you want though. I'm sure they won't mind.

atat23 on
  • Options
    FalxFalx Registered User regular
    edited September 2008

There is a strong correlation between wearing what looks like a fucking gas mask and the likelihood of a concerned citizen calling the cops.

If you are running around with a respirator on before you are inside wherever you are going, you deserve to get the cops called on you.

Running from the police while exploring is never a good idea. Running means you will have your ass cuffed. Standing still and going "Darn it," will most likely result in a warning if you haven't been caught before. Security guards are another issue though, if you think you can make it, run... they're more likely to press charges if they catch you since if they don't they might be fired.

Falx on
  • Options
    JRoseyJRosey Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    My friends and I went exploring in an abandoned school. Three of us. Someone saw us going in and called the cops. When they showed up I helped myself to a backdoor and ran away. My friends promptly dropped to the floor and gave up. The next day my two friends called from juvie telling me they were being charged with 1st degree breaking and entering. That shit is still on their record.

Always run.

JRosey on
  • Options
    Raiden333Raiden333 Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    My friends and I went exploring in an abandoned school. Three of us. Someone saw us going in and called the cops. When they showed up I helped myself to a backdoor and ran away. My friends promptly dropped to the floor and gave up. The next day my two friends called from juvie telling me they were being charged with 1st degree breaking and entering. That shit is still on their record.

Always run.

Always run, so that if you're not lucky/not willing to let your friends fall behind and get caught, you get resisting arrest added to your record as well? Real bright there sparky.

Raiden333 on
    There was a steam sig here. It's gone now.
  • Options
    SkutSkutSkutSkut Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    why not get a RC car and put a camera on that? :P

SkutSkut on
  • Options
    matisyahumatisyahu Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    I think asbestos is only bad for you if you're already a smoker.

matisyahu on
    i dont even like matisyahu and i dont know why i picked this username
  • Options
    edited November 2011
    ]

TehSpectre on
    9u72nmv0y64e.jpg
  • Options
    XtarathXtarath Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    matisyahu wrote: »
    I think asbestos is only bad for you if you're already a smoker.

This is a joke post, right?

I sure hope so.

Xtarath on
  • Options
    FalloutFallout GIRL'S DAY WAS PRETTY GOOD WHILE THEY LASTEDRegistered User regular
    edited September 2008
    how is "urban exploration" different from just running around on private property like a 16 year old that needs a place to drink

Fallout on
    xcomsig.png
  • Options
    edited November 2011
    ]

TehSpectre on
    9u72nmv0y64e.jpg
  • Options
    maximumzeromaximumzero I...wait, what? New Orleans, LARegistered User regular
    edited September 2008
    A friend had been given a key that opened... alot of stuff. The roof and control rooms were neat and all, but the coolest thing that I found were original models from The Nightmare Before Christmas still in their display case in some back room (they were featured items from a show a few years ago).

Why would they just leave that stuff behind? You'd think it'd be in some Disney vault somewhere.

More importantly why didn't you load up your car?

maximumzero on
    FU7kFbw.png
    Switch: 6200-8149-0919 / Wii U: maximumzero / 3DS: 0860-3352-3335 / eBay Shop
  • Options
    ImprovoloneImprovolone Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    There were probably a couple hundred models used for each character, easily. Shit happens, papers get misplaced, you know...
    I was close. I was so close. But if I put them on display, they would taunt me and make me feel terrible.
    Besides, a friends mom just died and she gave us all of her Disney memorabilia. Things are looking up.

Improvolone on
    Voice actor for hire. My time is free if your project is!
  • Options
    edited November 2011
    ]

TehSpectre on
    9u72nmv0y64e.jpg
  • Options
    edited September 2008
    Well. I did my first urban exploring, even if the environment was decisively non-urban. I also got a lot of photos of plants for a class, so two birds, one stone.

After a short drive up some hilly streets I came to this. The entryway to my adventure! Not really doing that great of a job of keeping people out.
    plants001.jpg

But it did have quite a nice view!
    plants006.jpg

There is a path to the north, do ye follow it?
    plants009.jpg

Of course I did! As I went further and further up the dirt path I noticed plenty of animal droppings and some tire tracks. Is this some kind of service road? Lots of lizards scurrying around in bushes. But as I go further a loud, electrical buzzing sound grows louder and louder and I hit a cross roads.
    plants015.jpg
    or
    plants016.jpg

I decide to go uphill first, while I still am full of energy. As I go up and up the buzzing gets louder and louder. I also start to get nervous because the path I am walking up that winds up this hill goes right by some peoples windows. I try not to look in, I don't want to invade privacy. But I can't help but keep glancing at the windows to make sure no one sees me.

Eventually I get to the top and the source of the buzzing becomes painfully clear:
    plants027.jpg

Oh what's this?
    plants028.jpg

Eeek if you say so! Looks like I wasn't the first one here either:
    plants029.jpg

There's no where else to go up here so back down the hill it is, here you can see one of the houses I didn't want to walk by:
    plants030.jpg

On the way down I notice a tree and find more evidence of others, tagging a tree? Seriously?
    plants017.jpg

Well, time for the other path then. It's pretty much the same at first but it soon starts to get narrow and more overgrown:
    plants036.jpg

As I get further and further I start to notice uneven bumps in the ground. At first I don't pay much attention but I soon notice that they seem too deliberate, too artificial. That's when I see some bike tracks and stumble into a sort of a clearing. I see man made dirt ramps and a little wooden one. Seems like some people made a little BMX haven. Seems like they threw their trash right off the side of the hill too, bastards:
    plants037.jpg
    plants039.jpg
    plants040.jpg
    plants042.jpg

There were quite a lot, those hard working BMXers. Some of the jumps had plants growing out of them. I wonder if this place has been used recently? Regardless, I pushed on. Unfortunately the path just got less and less well kept, becoming move uneven and over grown. Soon there was a constant buzz of bugs about me. Having no bug repellent, hiking shoes or water on me I decided to call it a trip. Here's where I stopped:
    plants049.jpg

On the way back down I noticed this, christ, did they really make all those jumps with just this?
    plants052.jpg

Well, hope this was entertaining for you all.

Inquisitor on
  • Options
    edited November 2011
    ]

TehSpectre on
    9u72nmv0y64e.jpg
  • Options
    edited September 2008
    Yeah, it's definitely on my to do list with some proper provisions. When I got in my car it was all over cast but then the sun came out and it got damn hot. Water is definitely on the top of my list for next time.

Inquisitor on
  • Options
    JokermanJokerman Everything EverywhereRegistered User regular
    edited September 2008
    Gaah you people are making me want to get off my fat keister and do something...

Jokerman on
  • Options
    edited September 2008
    I'm in Turkey atm (work related), so thought I'd do a bit of foreign urban exploration on the weekend. I didn't want to get too adventurous because the police here take care of the city center and the army take care of the outskirts, were my hotel is. Trying to explain myself in english to an armed squad of turkish soldiers if I was caught didn't really seem like a good idea.

I thought the area my hotel was in was a residential area, this is my 12th week here and I never even knew that if I walked up a little trail on the other side of the hotel courtyard and cross a road. What do we find? ah yes of course a small lake. o_O didn't know this was here. Nice!
    DSC00001.jpgDSC00003.jpgDSC00006.jpg

I saw a large shiny dome in the distance, I may have made these too small on when I uploaded them, but you can see it if you follow the line of the path to the end and look to the right and up (just about).
    DSC00004.jpg

I made a beeline toward it, but by the lake I found this: (took me ages to explore :winky:)
    DSC00005.jpg

Anyway the shiny roof I saw turned out to be this:
    DSC0008.jpg

I was kind of walking around, hoping security wouldn't come out and move me on since it's obviously still in use, I think it's connected to the nearby university. Shot from the front:
    DSC00010.jpg

Anyway I went up some steps at the side but it was all blocked off with security gates, took a picture through one of the gates:
    DSC00011.jpg

I then tried some of the steps at the front, another security gate (weird angle but I was trying to get the lighting equipment in the shot as well, seemed like a good idea at the time):
    DSC00012.jpg

Whats funny though is that right beside this gate there is a ledge which kind of gives access to any one determined enough (I suppose you could just climb the gate, though the ledge is less conspicuous):
    DSC00013.jpg

You can see another ledge running parallel to the first, there is a fair gap between them and if I had of had seen anything I absolutely had to get a closer look at I would have jumped to the second ledge, It wasn't that wide maybe just over 1.5m seemed wider though because of the height I guess, the second ledge connected to the other side of the security gate. So I would have been inside but there didn't seem to be much more to see, I did walk along the ledge to take a couple of pictures of the inside:
    DSC00014.jpgDSC00015.jpg

That's it, I didn't stay too long because as I mentioned before trying to explain myself to a security guard or soldier would have been a hassle and there was also a father giving his daughter a driving lesson around the car park who kept on parking quite close and watching me, maybe I was just being paranoid though XD

If I knew the area better I'd have more confidence but since I'm not on home turf I'm a bit more cautious. There are a few abandoned buildings I've seen on the way to work that look pretty interesting, never got round to taking a closer look though, too far from the hotel to pay for a taxi only to find that there's nothing there. My last week here so guess I'll find something a little closer to home.

atat23 on
  • Options
    edited November 2011
    ]

TehSpectre on
    9u72nmv0y64e.jpg
  • Options
    ZandraconZandracon Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    Heh. I bet that's some sort of coliseum or something atat.

Zandracon on
  • Options
    LaOsLaOs SaskatoonRegistered User regular
    edited September 2008

An empty gym is an odd sight. As I moved through the building, I kept hearing shit, like someone was skulking around, watching me. It creeped my out.

GSD!

LaOs on
  • Options
    edited September 2008
    Man that little face-ball-thing is creeeepy.

Inquisitor on
  • Options
    edited November 2011
    ]

TehSpectre on
    9u72nmv0y64e.jpg
  • Options
    edited September 2008
    Man, I don't think I'd handle dark buildings very well. Maybe I can convince some people I know to go to the one you sent me before. I don't think I could even do that by myself.

Inquisitor on
  • Options
    edited November 2011
    ]

TehSpectre on
    9u72nmv0y64e.jpg
  • Options
    edited September 2008
    Zandracon wrote: »
    Heh. I bet that's some sort of coliseum or something atat.

Yeah, the place is called Bilkent Odeon, a google search actually comes up with this:

http://www.cyberpark.com.tr/eng/default.asp?id=176

my pics of it were much better though ^_^

atat23 on