As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

David Bowie Appreciation Thread

• Options
    Gabriel_PittGabriel_Pitt (effective against Russian warships) Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    Yeah, abandoned mines really top my list of places it's really just not worth poking around in.

Gabriel_Pitt on
  • Options
    bowenbowen How you doin'? Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    Also Morlocks.

Fuck that shit. Right in the ass.

bowen on
    not a doctor, not a lawyer, examples I use may not be fully researched so don't take out of context plz, don't @ me
  • Options
    ShogunShogun Hair long; money long; me and broke wizards we don't get along Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    I think exploring a mine slowly and carefully would be fun however the dangers are tenfold compared to that of an abandoned building.

Shogun on
  • Options
    TehSpectreTehSpectre Registered User regular
    edited November 2011
    ]

TehSpectre on
    9u72nmv0y64e.jpg
  • Options
    LodbrokLodbrok Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    Yeah, not an expedition you would undertake without some serious preparation. I did some further snooping and found an UE forum where people who have actually been into the mine talked about it. Apparently the military used the mine as a fuel store, so all the old mining shafts were collapsed forming a big pit filled with oil. There were underground passageways down to the nearby sea fitted with pipelines for the oil. Behind those blue-green doors it is possible to go in a short bit, but after that the mine is water-filled. However, the small house with the hole in the wall is supposed to be an entry to a section of the mine that is not water-filled... someone who had been there some years ago said that there is an underground lake with a boat! I'm really tempted to go back now that I now a bit more about it, but when I was there the last time I did not see an easy way of getting in. And besides, who knows what unhealthy contaminants are there, with it having been an oil storage. Still... maybe some day.

Lodbrok on
  • Options
    SkutSkutSkutSkut Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    I might take some pics on top of the old silos in the middle of town, just old grain silos nothing fantastic but would be a nice aerial view, and that's about it around here really.

Hyper Edit!

No pics but I could look around town, there's the abandoned warehouse but the popo's loaded that up with alarms since teens would get caught skipping school there, and I don't want to traverse too far, what with there being 4 "hot spots" (drug trafficking and the like) in town.

Why once, a friend and I were riding around in one, at night and this car pulls up to us and like the old movies the guy opens the door and smoke billows out the car "yo dawgs you wanna buy some weed?"

SkutSkut on
  • Options
    JebusUDJebusUD Adventure! Candy IslandRegistered User regular
    edited June 2008
    Lodbrok wrote: »
    Yeah, not an expedition you would undertake without some serious preparation. I did some further snooping and found an UE forum where people who have actually been into the mine talked about it. Apparently the military used the mine as a fuel store, so all the old mining shafts were collapsed forming a big pit filled with oil. There were underground passageways down to the nearby sea fitted with pipelines for the oil. Behind those blue-green doors it is possible to go in a short bit, but after that the mine is water-filled. However, the small house with the hole in the wall is supposed to be an entry to a section of the mine that is not water-filled... someone who had been there some years ago said that there is an underground lake with a boat! I'm really tempted to go back now that I now a bit more about it, but when I was there the last time I did not see an easy way of getting in. And besides, who knows what unhealthy contaminants are there, with it having been an oil storage. Still... maybe some day.

There is a cave in MO called "Bridal Cave". There is a big wall at the end that looks like the bottom part of a brides dress. At the top of the wall there was a hole, but for a long time no body went back there because they thought it just ended. However they later climb over it and find out that people had been there before. There was somthing scrawled on the wall and then there was an underground lake. Clearest water I have ever seen. There is a ladder and a boat sitting at the bottom of the lake. It was really neat. Cost 12 dollars though for a half hour tour :|.

edit: was going to take pics of cool places, but its thunderstorming again today.

JebusUD on
    and I wonder about my neighbors even though I don't have them
    but they're listening to every word I say
  • Options
    edited June 2008
    I might be able to get in the drainage ditch but that'd require uprooting a manhole in the middle of the road in the middle of town, and that'd probably be my only way out, plus they're prone to flooding so that's a real no go but I could take a few pics of the inside from the drains, these things are about 3 feet wide and eight feet tall or something, big enough to comfortably walk with a group in.

SkutSkut on
  • Options
    edited November 2011
    ]

TehSpectre on
    9u72nmv0y64e.jpg
  • Options
    edited June 2008
    Like I said, prone to flooding too so I doubt I'll get inside, it's not a ditch that's just what we call it, it's more of the cities drainage system. Rain water, and I think pipe water since there's almost always running water, but like I said I might be able to get some decent view pics from the outside to give you an idea. I need 4 AAA batteries for my power hog camera, it eats them in about 20 pics D:

Trying to think of stuff that's not 4 hour walks or anything, but not coming up with any ideas despite how much I want :(.

When I was little though I was exploring the back of my moms laundromat (big one) and there was this huge lizard in the back, it was about 2 feet long if I remember right (about 15 years ago). That was pretty cool, anyone else found any wild non dangerous animals before?

SkutSkut on
  • Options
    MichaelLCMichaelLC In what furnace was thy brain? ChicagoRegistered User regular
    edited June 2008
    For anyone in the Chicago area, Randhurst Mall (Mt. Prospect/Des Plaines) is being torn down for some crazy-ass "lifestyle center" by a company who appearently hasn't heard we're in a Housing Crisis!

The mall only has like two open stores in it now, and I'm sure those will be leaving soon too. Layout would be awesome for Nerf/Areosoft/etc. or exploring once it's closed.

Just sayin'...

MichaelLC on
  • Options
    King RiptorKing Riptor Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    MichaelLC wrote: »
    For anyone in the Chicago area, Randhurst Mall (Mt. Prospect/Des Plaines) is being torn down for some crazy-ass "lifestyle center" by a company who appearently hasn't heard we're in a Housing Crisis!

The mall only has like two open stores in it now, and I'm sure those will be leaving soon too. Layout would be awesome for Nerf/Areosoft/etc. or exploring once it's closed.

Just sayin'...

There's a mall like that near Pittsburgh. Once the second floor folds the wonder of an abandoned Chuck E Cheese type store await!

I mean the place is literally still full of games and slides and shit.

King Riptor on
    I have a podcast now. It's about video games and anime!Find it here.
  • Options
    Ninja BotNinja Bot Registered User regular
    edited June 2008

Just sayin'...

Shit I should definitely look into this. Only problem is I doubt I could find any friends interested.

Ninja Bot on
  • Options
    grendel824_grendel824_ Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    TehSpectre wrote: »
    There wouldn't be any reason to go into the woods. It was more akin to a forest. That's how thick it was if you weren't on a path.

You'd need a machete to get anywhere.

That's exactly what GSD would have us believe...

grendel824_ on
  • Options
    gilraingilrain Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    There wouldn't be any reason to go into the woods. It was more akin to a forest. That's how thick it was if you weren't on a path.

You'd need a machete to get anywhere.
    That's exactly what GSD would have us believe...
    Yes, precisely. The others are assuming GSD has not already established a network of secret, well-hidden paths into and out of the forest from which he may appear seemingly at will. They might not even end with that particular forest.

Examine your hedge-rows, people. Examine them carefully, lest ye wake to a noise in the night, turn on the back porch light, and see him staring at you from the border of your hedge-row. D:

gilrain on
  • Options
    RocketSauceRocketSauce Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    We need to find like the ultimate UE place, and all meet up there and do some major 'splorin.

RocketSauce on
  • Options
    edited June 2008
    We need to find like the ultimate UE place, and all meet up there and do some major 'splorin.
    I just bought two new flashlights, so, yes! As long as it's within two hours of me. :P

I think there are some good sanitariums, in KY.

<.<

gilrain on
  • Options
    RocketSauceRocketSauce Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    gilrain wrote: »
    I just bought two new flashlights, so, yes! As long as it's within two hours of me. :P

I think there are some good sanitariums, in KY.

<.<

I was thinking of something along the lines of Paris Catacombs, but I guess we could do something on this continent...

RocketSauce on
  • Options
    MystilasMystilas Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    Okay, so we decided to go today instead of yesterday and I just got back. I'll explain each picture.
    bag002pi7.th.jpg
    There was a rectangular hole in the wall, so I decided to put my camera through it and snap a picture. What a creepy room.

bag004vz0.th.jpg
    We opened a steel hatch and this is what was inside. I am guessing that there is a series of tunnels and waterways down there. We decided to check it out another day.

bag013eu2.th.jpg
    Went up a ladder and found the area that they stored the water in and added chemicals and whatnot to it.

bag014kj5.th.jpg
    What was in one of the water storage areas.

bag015bj0.th.jpg
    Another view of them.

bag011dc1.th.jpg
    The control station for the water storage.

There were many other pictures that I had taken, but they weren't the best so I decided not to post them.
    Overall, it was an exciting day.

Mystilas on
    gorillazsigcopy1dw0.jpg
  • Options
    edited June 2008
    Very cool, Myst! You really need to go down that ladder. :)

gilrain on
  • Options
    edited June 2008
    Examine your hedge-rows, people. Examine them carefully, lest ye wake to a noise in the night, turn on the back porch light, and see him staring at you from the border of your hedge-row. D:

If theres a bustle in your hedgerow don't be alarmed now

JebusUD on
  • Options
    edited November 2011
    ]

TehSpectre on
    9u72nmv0y64e.jpg
  • Options
    edited June 2008
    It'd be weird, I mean, he was always so far away that I couldn't see any features.

Just jeans and a green t-shirt.

Maybe he was a hobo.

Its just a spring clean for the may queen.

edit: kewl pix as soon as it stops thunderstorming every day.

JebusUD on
  • Options
    edited June 2008
    Very cool, Myst! You really need to go down that ladder. :)

I know, we are planning on going down it tonight. It will definitely be creepy.

Edit: Scratch that, my group did not want to go down there when it was night time. I'm kind of with them on that, as it is literally one of the scariest places I've seen in my life. The flash on the camera makes looking down there tolerable, but with just a flashlight it's insanely creepy. We're gonna go in the early morning or evening some time next week.

Mystilas on
    gorillazsigcopy1dw0.jpg
  • Options
    XtarathXtarath Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    Wasn't Spectre 'sposed to go in the tunnel yesterday?

I'm afeared

Xtarath on
  • Options
    bowenbowen How you doin'? Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    It's like Ted the caver, but with a lot less coolness.

bowen on
    not a doctor, not a lawyer, examples I use may not be fully researched so don't take out of context plz, don't @ me
  • Options
    edited June 2008
    bowen wrote: »
    It's like Ted the caver, but with a lot more coolness.
    Man, gotta stick up for our own. Plus, this story is real. :P

gilrain on
  • Options
    XtarathXtarath Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    I hope GSD's foest pathways don't lead into the sewers too.

Xtarath on
  • Options
    TL DRTL DR Not at all confident in his reflexive opinions of thingsRegistered User regular
    edited June 2008
    Xtarath wrote: »
    I hope GSD's foest pathways don't lead into the sewers too.

D:

Unless he is a representative of the sewer denizens, sent to survey Spectre's organs so as to determine whether he is to be simply killed or kept alive to be farmed.

TL DR on
  • Options
    edited November 2011
    ]

TehSpectre on
    9u72nmv0y64e.jpg
  • Options
    ErandusErandus Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    Were I younger, with less responsibilities and still lived in my hometown, I would go check out the Iowa State University steam tunnels.

Well, there's also all the motion detectors and stuff they apparently installed. That would kinda slow me down too.

For now I shall live vicariously through TS and hope he hits the hospital soon.

Erandus on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    edited June 2008
    Erandus wrote: »
    Were I younger, with less responsibilities and still lived in my hometown, I would go check out the Iowa State University steam tunnels.

Well, there's also all the motion detectors and stuff they apparently installed. That would kinda slow me down too.

Huh. You would think Motion detectors wouldn't work in steam tunnels what with the heat and water condensation.

King Riptor on
  • Options
    2and2is52and2is5 Registered User regular
    edited June 2008

Just sayin'...

There's a mall like that near Pittsburgh. Once the second floor folds the wonder of an abandoned Chuck E Cheese type store await!

Washington Mall?

2and2is5 on
  • Options
    edited June 2008
    2and2is5 wrote: »

Just sayin'...

Washington Mall?

Parkway center. I also know there's a ton of underground tunnels but I don't know how far they go.

King Riptor on
  • Options
    edited June 2008
    Phil G. wrote: »
    Shit, I can't remember the location of that damn gas station thing. It wasn't too far from Cochrane, I know it. It is killing me, there was something active next to it but looked interesting.

I'm not gonna lie, I have no idea what you're talking about. There's a gas station in Bears Paw, that's all I can think of.

Mystilas on
    gorillazsigcopy1dw0.jpg
  • Options
    Phil G.Phil G. __BANNED USERS regular
    edited June 2008
    Well I'm not going to lie, it isn't that close to Cochrane. Maybe 45 minutes- an hour away. I know it was there. I fucking know it.

Phil G. on
  • Options
    ErandusErandus Registered User regular
    edited June 2008

Huh. You would think Motion detectors wouldn't work in steam tunnels what with the heat and water condensation.

The steam doesn't just float around in the tunnels. The tunnels carry pipes which carry steam which heat the buildings.

Erandus on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    JasocoJasoco Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    Anyone ever been to Kings Park Psychiatric Center in Long Island? I went there about a month and a half ago with a friend and his girlfriend and some other guys who found out about it. Was my first time doing this "exploration" thing. Sadly it was a whim thing. I didn't have my camera with me or anything so I had to go with what I had. My normal clothes and camera phone. I was only able to take a couple pictures, nothing really cool. Nothing at all. Fortunately there's already photos on the internet from other times.

The buildings we went into were already pretty much destroyed by vandals and previous explorers and so-called copper pipe thieves that they were a huge mess. We saw things you don't wanna know about. Like human feces piled in a few places as if people were actually having fun doing it. Lots of graffiti and stuff. One floor of the building we spent most of the time in was a surprise. All the chairs on the entire floor and probably some of the other floors were arranged in such a way you'd think it was spirits trying to send a message.

Sadly I didn't get a photo of that, but I wish I had.

2467856155_3781cb1631.jpg

The police don't start their patrol until like 3 in the afternoon. We were gone by 2.

Photos from other people:
    http://www.opacity.us/site3_kings_park_psychiatric_center.htm
    http://www.freewebs.com/kingsparkpsychiatriccenter/

I wouldn't mind going back, but my legs hurt like hell for 3 days after the 13 story climb to the top of Building 93.

It's a shame. They should have turned it into a museum or something rather than let it become what it has.

Jasoco on
  • Options
    edited June 2008
    Weather's too bad to go looking the past few days but I might have a picture from that silo tomorrow.

SkutSkut on
  • Options
    edited June 2008

The steam doesn't just float around in the tunnels. The tunnels carry pipes which carry steam which heat the buildings.

Are you saying movies are wrong?

King Riptor on