As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Cosplay: Who's doing it at PAX?

AltDeleteAltDelete Registered User regular
edited July 2008 in PAX Archive
TF2 Cosplay?
Been there. Good times. Saw the pics.

TF2 Cosplay with an entire team of spies disguised as the other team, running around and sapping everything at PAX in a Sapping Contest for fabulous prizes?
The new hotness? You tell me.

---
Looking for 8+ spies to pose for photos as the "Red Team" and perform in the "Sap PAX" event. All you need is:

Blue Suit / Tie
White Dress Shirt
Dress Shoes
Ski Mask
"Face" Mask (Picture of an Engy, Piro, etc held on with string)
Electrosapper
Optional Spy Paraphernalia (Cigarette Case, Invisible Cloak, etc)
---

Throughout PAX, participants take pictures of things/places/willing participants being sapped. Near the end of the show all spies get together for group shots, submit their sapping pics, and engage in general comradere. The winners of the Sapping Contest are announced, lauded as champions and awarded items of a yet-undisclosed value.

Post here or DM me if you're interested and let me know what time is good for you to meet up!

AltDelete on

• Options
    b0wserb0wser PAX HHL Deputy Manager CanadaRegistered User regular
    edited May 2008
    Not to ruin your day, but do not include any revolver or other realistic-looking weapons in costumes. The WSCTC is a public building, and the Seattle Police patrol it.

b0wser on
  • Options
    edited May 2008
    DAY RUINED ;_;

But seriously, thanks for the heads up.

AltDelete on
  • Options
    BuraisuBuraisu Psychomancer Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    edited May 2008
    b0wser wrote: »
    Not to ruin your day, but do not include any revolver or other realistic-looking weapons in costumes. The WSCTC is a public building, and the Seattle Police patrol it.
    Don't you just gotta paint the tip of the realistic gun red or somethin? To mark it as a fake.

Buraisu on
    47uk6agplx83.png
  • Options
    nearlysobernearlysober Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    Only if you want them to immediately identify it as being fake while they're inspecting your body.

Because couldn't you just paint the tip of a real gun red? Cops don't mess around... it doesn't even have to be in the shape of a gun to freak them out.

nearlysober on
  • Options
    HotSakeHotSake Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    Only if you want them to immediately identify it as being fake while they're inspecting your body.

Because couldn't you just paint the tip of a real gun red? Cops don't mess around... it doesn't even have to be in the shape of a gun to freak them out.

Regardless, weapons and weapon props are, I believe, specifically prohibited at the WSCTC.

HotSake on
    hotsakepaxsigbl0.png
  • Options
    LigerLiger Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    HotSake wrote: »

Regardless, weapons and weapon props are, I believe, specifically prohibited at the WSCTC.

If weapon props are prohibited, then they were making a few thousand exceptions at SakuraCon.

Liger on
    5932306549_6b4d957b56.jpg CUSTOM LANYARDS FOR PAX
  • Options
    edited May 2008
    Liger wrote: »

If weapon props are prohibited, then they were making a few thousand exceptions at SakuraCon.

You're right, I think I'm just remembering someone's horror stories about people bringing Nerf to previous PAXs and causing a bit of trouble. So is it an official PAX policy not to do it, or just an unspoken rule to keep the good will of the WSCTC people?

HotSake on
    hotsakepaxsigbl0.png
  • Options
    edited May 2008
    I didn't go to Sakuracon but I work down the street from the WSCTC and saw plenty of them while I went to lunch.

5 foot tall cardboard painted swords is one thing... anything resembling a gun is another. And NERF/projectiles has been prohibited by PA since the meydenbauer days.

nearlysober on
  • Options
    edited May 2008
    I didn't go to Sakuracon but I work down the street from the WSCTC and saw plenty of them while I went to lunch.

5 foot tall cardboard painted swords is one thing... anything resembling a gun is another. And NERF/projectiles has been prohibited by PA since the meydenbauer days.

Yeah, I was sure projectiles weren't allowed at Meydenbauer. It's a PAX policy, though, not WSCTC, right?

HotSake on
    hotsakepaxsigbl0.png
  • Options
    BigRedBigRed Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    edited May 2008

Yeah, I was sure projectiles weren't allowed at Meydenbauer. It's a PAX policy, though, not WSCTC, right?

The MBC got pissed at us one year (think darts stuck in places hard to get to) so pax put the axe on nerf. afaik its still pax policy, plus we dont want to piss off the WSCTC.

BigRed on
    <MoeFwacky> besides, BigRed-Worky is right
  • Options
    MasterHeliosMasterHelios Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    I'm going as an engineer and I made my wrench out of foam. Yay for a band saw!

In other news, I may be building a sentry as well, and I'm thinking of leaving my cell # on the sentry so if someone sees a sapper on it, they can call me and whatever I'm doing, I have to stop and yell "spy sappin' mah sentry" and run away :lol:

I'm watching you, spies...

MasterHelios on
    Roses are red
    Violets are blue
    お前はもう
    死んでいる
  • Options
    TimeCruiserMikeTimeCruiserMike Past Organizer of the West Coast Train Trip San Fernando ValleyRegistered User regular
    edited May 2008
    would a hoslter with a very orange nintendo zapper be considered a threat? i'm sure they'd undersatnd I don't want to be unprepared . . . what if some one has an nes with duck hunt. . . i need my equiptment . .

TimeCruiserMike on
    SkOelFN.png
    {Fondly remembers the PAXTrain}
  • Options
    strangemusicstrangemusic Registered User regular
    edited May 2008

In other news, I may be building a sentry as well, and I'm thinking of leaving my cell # on the sentry so if someone sees a sapper on it, they can call me and whatever I'm doing, I have to stop and yell "spy sappin' mah sentry" and run away :lol:

Spies, remember to Stab And Sap! Stay safe!

Also.... "I vas never really on your side. (Brush lapel)"

strangemusic on
    "Always be wary of people who use quotes... I don't know who said that" - Murdoc Nicalls.
    Those Eve guys are creepy. :|
  • Options
    edited May 2008

Spies, remember to Stab And Sap! Stay safe!

Also.... "I vas never really on your side. (Brush lapel)"

Engies! Remember to spycheck! One shotgun shell saves four buildings and a trip back to spawn!

Remember:
    Don't trust 'em just for wearing blue!

MasterHelios on
    Roses are red
    Violets are blue
    お前はもう
    死んでいる
  • Options
    ColdbrewColdbrew Down in Front Productions Lake Stevens, WARegistered User regular
    edited May 2008
    lol yeah there were plenty of people wielding swords and other similar fake weapons durring SakuraCon a couple months back, and even walking up and down the streets with them. I'm sure PAX and the WSCTC doesn't care about those things, as long as it doesn't resemble a firearm of any kind. I mean, somebody was walking all over the place with a lightsaber last year, and that could probably hurt more then a cardboard/Styrofoam sword. :P

But maybe they'll let us run around with the new Nyko Wii-remote pistols, those are pretty sweet. XD
    BTW I was just kidding, that would look really wierd

Coldbrew on
    NSw0gum.png
  • Options
    edited May 2008

How big is this sentry going to be? A life-sized level 3 sentry would be tops ^^

AltDelete on
  • Options
    edited May 2008
    AltDelete wrote: »

How big is this sentry going to be? A life-sized level 3 sentry would be tops ^^

Yeah that's not really feasible unfortunately. It's just a lv1. D:
    I agree that would rock if I had either the time or energy to do it.

MasterHelios on
    Roses are red
    Violets are blue
    お前はもう
    死んでいる
  • Options
    LordHomsarLordHomsar Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    I found a Lvl. 3 Sentry PC casemod...
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2q-k0gbyaMQ

LordHomsar on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    edited May 2008
    haha wow, what if that turns up at BYOC xD

MasterHelios on
    Roses are red
    Violets are blue
    お前はもう
    死んでいる
  • Options
    HammyHammy Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    So this will be my first year at PAX, and I'm curious as to how many people go and cosplay. I've heard it's few, so for those who are, who are you going as?

I'm going to be going as Guybrush Threepwood from Monkey Island.

Hammy on
  • Options
    BrennaCeDriaBrennaCeDria Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    I'd love to, but have neither the time nor the funding to put together a worthy costume. I don't even know what I'd cosplay if I were able to anymore, anyway. :/

BrennaCeDria on
  • Options
    Kwisatz HaderachKwisatz Haderach Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    Haha Threepwood FTW!

There was another thread like this, dunno where it went, but there were a few people with costume ideas...

I personally was thinking of doing Zeke from Ctrl-Alt-Del.

Kwisatz Haderach on
    Twitter: @Quintonious (new, infrequently post)
    PSN: Quintonious
  • Options
    ImperfectImperfect Toronto, Ontario, CanadaRegistered User regular
    edited May 2008
    I'm thinking I might even be down for this. I was gonna bring down my suit for the Big Fancy Party that sadly got canned - any opportunity to wear a suit is a good one, I say.

Plus, this is one costume I don't have to shave my beard for. Wa-hoo!

Imperfect on
  • Options
    PastyPasty cutscenesmith Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    i will probably be going as horatio caine from csi: miami. it will be spectacular.

Pasty on
  • Options
    ArdorArdor Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    Several of us will be going as protagonists and antagonists from Persona 3.

Ardor on
  • Options
    edited May 2008
    Sweet! Imperfect's right - if nothing else this is a good excuse to dress sharp ^^

AltDelete on
  • Options
    SoupsSoups Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    I want so badly to dress up as my Rock Band character, but a few of the costume items are really hard to find. If I can remember later I'll try to take a decent pic of him and show him off to you guys.

Soups on
    DitchTheJock.png
  • Options
    edited May 2008
    If I DO go as a spy, I will have an alternate "GENTLEMEN" prop ready.

Imperfect on
  • Options
    hypeserverhypeserver Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    Buraisu wrote: »
    Don't you just gotta paint the tip of the realistic gun red or somethin? To mark it as a fake.

You mean orange and it doesn't matter bringing it to a convention would still raise red flags. Airsoft guns are marked with the orange tip. So keep that in mind...local authorities would still flag it as a weapon

hypeserver on
  • Options
    TNTrooperTNTrooper Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    hypeserver wrote: »
    Buraisu wrote: »

You mean orange and it doesn't matter bringing it to a convention would still raise red flags. Airsoft guns are marked with the orange tip. So keep that in mind...local authorities would still flag it as a weapon

Ask yourself if seen by a police officer at around 100 feet or more would he mistake it for a real weapon and arrest you. If yes please make sure someone with a video camera is following you 24/7 cause that is some great youtube footage.

TNTrooper on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    LyanthLyanth Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    AltDelete wrote: »
    Sweet! Imperfect's right - if nothing else this is a good excuse to dress sharp ^^

haha yeah~ i'd think pax would be awesome to see packs of guys wandering around in suits and the like :3

and also, as a note on the weapons issue:

I have been going to Sakura Con for many years with many different cosplays and props. Anything that can remotely be considered a weapon or resembles one is Peace Bonded. Peace Bonding is basically where you sign a short contract the first time you enter the convention with said prop that you will do no harm to anyone/thing with said prop, and then they tie a bit of neon colored tape to the said prop and let you go your way. If you look carefully at some photos from anime cons, you'll be able to see something along those lines tied around the handles of swords and such. PAX doesn't do this probably due to past history and also because there aren't that many people that cosplay and have props at PAX.

hope that helps ^^

Lyanth on
    [SIGPIC]I'm not backing down[/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    CaptainTapoleCaptainTapole Awesome in the Possum - Yee-Haw! Northern CaliforniaRegistered User regular
    edited May 2008
    Lyanth wrote:
    and also, as a note on the weapons issue:

I have been going to Sakura Con for many years with many different cosplays and props. Anything that can remotely be considered a weapon or resembles one is Peace Bonded. Peace Bonding is basically where you sign a short contract the first time you enter the convention with said prop that you will do no harm to anyone/thing with said prop, and then they tie a bit of neon colored tape to the said prop and let you go your way. If you look carefully at some photos from anime cons, you'll be able to see something along those lines tied around the handles of swords and such. PAX doesn't do this probably due to past history and also because there aren't that many people that cosplay and have props at PAX.

Renn-Faires have something VERY similar to that. I do not know if it is called "Peace Bond", but for weapons that patrons bring in, they either have white clothed ribbon around the hilt or hemp yarn around the hilt to represent that they mean no harm.

CaptainTapole on
    The Girl Who Gave Everyone the Shortest Jenga Game Ever.
  • Options
    LigerLiger Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    The closest thing I saw to peace bonding at PAX last year was Khoo covering a sharpened gunblade with electrical tape. Aside from that I'm not aware of any peace bonding program that might have been used.

Liger on
    5932306549_6b4d957b56.jpg CUSTOM LANYARDS FOR PAX
  • Options
    edited May 2008
    The only "weapons" I'll need for my spy costume are a classy cigarrette case and my sapping utility.

(Okay, the cigarette case is actually for cigarillos, but still...)

Imperfect on
  • Options
    edited May 2008
    When it comes to weapon props just use common sense... an aspect that while lacking in general society should be in abundant supply with the quality folks who attend PAX.

Realistic looking guns, especially small ones, aren't a good idea.
    Projectiles are not welcome at PAX because they get out of control.
    Sharp things hurt.

nearlysober on
  • Options
    Kwisatz HaderachKwisatz Haderach Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    Sharp things hurt.

A lot.

Kwisatz Haderach on
    Twitter: @Quintonious (new, infrequently post)
    PSN: Quintonious
  • Options
    edited May 2008
    Pasty wrote: »
    i will probably be going as horatio caine from csi: miami. it will be spectacular.

Guy #1: "Anything anything. Anything anything anything anything."
    Horatio: "Anything anything anything,"
    *puts on glasses*
    Horatio: "anything."

YEAAAAAAAAHHHHH

AltDelete on
  • Options
    ColdbrewColdbrew Down in Front Productions Lake Stevens, WARegistered User regular
    edited May 2008
    http://www.cosplaymagic.com/tefo2meco.html

They have a medic outfit, which is "descent," if you have the money for it. Just choose red or blue!

I was thinking about that, but I'm kinda debating between 3 different characters (un-related) to go as right now...

Coldbrew on
    NSw0gum.png
  • Options
    ElectricTurtleElectricTurtle Seeress WARegistered User regular
    edited May 2008
    As a local and somebody who's read over the 9.40 section of the RCW a few too many times, let me be the final word on all this talk of weapons/no weapons. This should not be construed as legal advice, I am not a lawyer.

RCW 9.40.270(1) is the operative catch all for weapons carried openly. Open carry of anything not illegal to possess is technically legal (up to and including real firearms), but 9.40.270(1) mitigates it with a provision of perceived intent. Essentially, it becomes illegal the second that somebody observing you perceives you to be dangerous or threatening. Whether you are objectively dangerous or threatening is something you would have to argue in court.

So, basically, it's legal to carry anything you can legally possess, but you have to trust everybody who sees you will not freak out, after which it's illegal. Bleh. I seriously hate laws that kick in based on some random idiot's subjective opinion rather than immutable states.

ElectricTurtle on
    yfrxgugaj8wu.png
  • Options
    Oz K. FodrotskiOz K. Fodrotski Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    My girlfriend and myself are plotting a few different options -- none are directly game-related, but fall within the bounds of general geekery / things we'd like to see in a game. ;)

Oz K. Fodrotski on
This discussion has been closed.