As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Flippy's impossible problem: An adventure for tech support.

Flippy_DFlippy_D Digital ConquistadorLondonRegistered User regular
Okay, get this.

Friend's PSU is dying. No problem. I give him my old one (remember this?)

Except it is a problem. I install it, and also clean up his box whilst I'm at it. Lots of dust, etc. I turn it on and it powers up, so I send him on his way. Back home, he connects it to a monitor of course, and although it powers up, he then runs into the problem we had not foreseen:
Stop: c000021a {fatal system error}
The Windows logon process system process terminated unexpectedly with status
of 0xc0000139 (0x00000000 0x00000000).
The system has shut down.

Okay. Seems straightforward. I test all the hardware just to be sure. PSU works, CPU works, Hard Drive works, RAM works, and I take both PCI cards out just to be sure. I even put in the old PSU. Same error. So it's definitely software.

Okay, so I slam in the XP disc and we get rolling.

Except we don't.

It hangs on 'detecting hardware configuration'. To me, that screams 'hardware error'. But it can't be - all hardware is working perfectly! And yet it freezes on this, so I can't run the repair console, so I can't fix the software issue, so I can't boot.

I am now feeling mega-guilty even though it's not my fault. The guy is away for a day or two now so I need to come up with a fix in the meantime. Any help?

To recap:
- Hardware is all apparently functioning normally.
- Boot from disc hangs on hardware detection.
- All signs seem to point toward software error - so why is it hanging on the hardware detection?

Halp.

p8fnsZD.png
Flippy_D on

• Options
    AceedAceed Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    I had this issue with a hard drive dying on me.

It tested fine, but would hang at the detecting hardware part of things. Try another hard drive?

Alternatively, I just start swapping parts until something works. Generally that's a better test than the diagnostic software if you're still having troubles.

Aceed on
  • Options
    Zilla360Zilla360 21st Century. |She/Her| Trans* Woman In Aviators Firing A Bazooka. ⚛️Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    In this instance I would also test the system with an Ubuntu or Knoppix live CD and Hiren's BootCD.
    Use one those to get S.M.A.R.T diagnostics data from connected hard drives.

Zilla360 on
  • Options
    zanetheinsanezanetheinsane Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    SystemRescueCD is made for just these occasions.

zanetheinsane on
  • Options
    ViscountalphaViscountalpha The pen is mightier than the sword http://youtu.be/G_sBOsh-vyIRegistered User regular
    edited May 2008
    Flippy_D wrote: »
    Okay, get this.

Friend's PSU is dying. No problem. I give him my old one (remember this?)

Except it is a problem. I install it, and also clean up his box whilst I'm at it. Lots of dust, etc. I turn it on and it powers up, so I send him on his way. Back home, he connects it to a monitor of course, and although it powers up, he then runs into the problem we had not foreseen:
    Stop: c000021a {fatal system error}
    The Windows logon process system process terminated unexpectedly with status
    of 0xc0000139 (0x00000000 0x00000000).
    The system has shut down.

Okay. Seems straightforward. I test all the hardware just to be sure. PSU works, CPU works, Hard Drive works, RAM works, and I take both PCI cards out just to be sure. I even put in the old PSU. Same error. So it's definitely software.

Okay, so I slam in the XP disc and we get rolling.

Except we don't.

It hangs on 'detecting hardware configuration'. To me, that screams 'hardware error'. But it can't be - all hardware is working perfectly! And yet it freezes on this, so I can't run the repair console, so I can't fix the software issue, so I can't boot.

I am now feeling mega-guilty even though it's not my fault. The guy is away for a day or two now so I need to come up with a fix in the meantime. Any help?

To recap:
    - Hardware is all apparently functioning normally.
    - Boot from disc hangs on hardware detection.
    - All signs seem to point toward software error - so why is it hanging on the hardware detection?

Halp.

That could be a memory fault there. You said you checked it but did you run MEMTEST? You can burn it to an disk with an ISO image and boot right into it.

http://www.memtest86.com/download.html

Give that a shot to rule out memory issues. Another problem is when the old psu died, it may have damaged the motherboard in the process. If its one of the add on cards, just pull everything off except the what you need to boot.

Hope that helps.

Viscountalpha on
  • Options
    Uncle LongUncle Long Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    It might be prudent to back up any information on his HDD before you start tooling about; if you hadn't done it already. What's going on in BIOS?

Uncle Long on
  • Options
    MonoxideMonoxide Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited May 2008
    I think you need to expand on "Tested hardware" because that could really mean anything

what did you actually do to verify this stuff is working?

Monoxide on
  • Options
    FellhandFellhand Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    I'd say it's a bad board or hard drive. Do you have a spare drive you can slap in and try to do an install on?

Fellhand on
  • Options
    Flippy_DFlippy_D Digital Conquistador LondonRegistered User regular
    edited May 2008
    Tried a different PSU - it's not the PSU.
    It wouldn't be getting to the stage it was getting to if it were the CPU or HDD being booted (though it may be that the HDD is partially damaged?)
    I took out and put in the RAM seperately, worked fine.
    Unplugged the PCI cards too.
    I put a HDD of mine in and it was detected on the BIOS, like his, but that HDD had no windows install and then I tried to put the windows CD in and it hung on detecting hardware... etc.

I am thinking that I will take my own HDD with windows on and stick it in his machine, back up his stuff on his exHDD, then format his onboard HDD. Then try to install windows on that. If his HDD is the problem then I'll give him an old one of mine..

----

I will check out Memtest, thanks.

I will also disable all unnecessary hardware stuff in the bios like USB stuff.

----

Zane, how on earth would I use this SystemRescue tool? I mean, I understand bits of it...

Flippy_D on
    p8fnsZD.png
  • Options
    zanetheinsanezanetheinsane Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    It's basically a LiveCD made for testing different hardware on a system. It really depends on what you're trying to use it to do. There's a shrot overview of some of the tools here but the forums are much more helpful.

You could possibly test the hard drive or backup the files off of the hard drive onto another machine on the network if you suspect that's the problem. To be honest, if you have an Ubuntu LiveCD or any other LiveCD they will probably have the basic stuff you would need to diagnose and copy files anyway.

zanetheinsane on
  • Options
    Mustachio JonesMustachio Jones jerseyRegistered User regular
    edited May 2008
    A big ol' note: if this is Windows XP we're talking about, there's a good chance that either Windows won't boot, or it'll boot into a screen saying that you have 3 days left to activate due to extreme hardware changes.

Just forewarning you about that little thing with XP. It's actually fascinating how their key system works, but a bit innane and annoying when it comes to this sort of thing.

Mustachio Jones on
  • Options
    KrikeeKrikee Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    The 3 things that will cause bat shit insane malfunctions are as follows: bad RAM (you ran memtest, right?), failed CPU (these are usually a simple it works or it doesn't work though), incorrect PSU or failed PSU (it's not failed because you swapped it out and it did the same thing, right?) or a failing motherboard (easiest way to check without all that fancy logical elimination is looking at the health of the actual components on the board).

Krikee on
  • Options
    MonaroMonaro Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    Yeah I'd suggest the motherboard as well.

Like krikee said, have a look at the capacitors. Are any bulging?

Monaro on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    TM2 RampageTM2 Rampage Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    A big ol' note: if this is Windows XP we're talking about, there's a good chance that either Windows won't boot, or it'll boot into a screen saying that you have 3 days left to activate due to extreme hardware changes.

Just forewarning you about that little thing with XP. It's actually fascinating how their key system works, but a bit innane and annoying when it comes to this sort of thing.
    I believe the hardware change thing only happens if you have an OEM version of Windows XP. If you have a full retail version of Windows XP, then you can install it on new configurations as many times as you'd like, I think.

TM2 Rampage on
  • Options
    1ddqd1ddqd Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    Did you test the motherboard? What about checking for leaking capacitors? I've seen a bad keyboard controller hang Windows just like that. Alternatively, a bad northbridge cooler could keep the system from fully functioning. I could list off about 5 different motherboard scenarios that were related to preventing a windows install.

People do some WEIRD shit to PCs.

1ddqd on
  • Options
    FellhandFellhand Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    Did you try a different keyboard? It sounds dumb, but I've had a few that were cursed and would cause machines I've worked on not to boot.

Fellhand on
  • Options
    Mustachio JonesMustachio Jones jerseyRegistered User regular
    edited May 2008

I believe the hardware change thing only happens if you have an OEM version of Windows XP. If you have a full retail version of Windows XP, then you can install it on new configurations as many times as you'd like, I think.

Using the key to install is one thing, yes. You can do that five times before you have to call up support. He was talking about using a preexisting install of XP on a HDD and swapping the drive into another machine. Windows doesn't like being thrown about chipsets and everything, and it changes the hardware code. When the hardware code changes, it red flags it to check the key. If the hardware code doesn't match the one initially used with that install, it'll make you reactivate to update itself.

What I've gathered about XP key system:
    Hardware setup is assigned a specific code. That code is sent along to the MS activation servers with the activation key. Hardware code is now tied to that activation key. Windows checks the HW code on boot to make sure everything is in line, and if the current HW code changes enough, it'll have you activate again so it can keep its records straight. That's why it's a real pain in the ass when only doing a minor upgrade. I've had it complain at me when I unplugged my DVD drive to throw another IDE hard drive in because I only have one IDE port on my motherboard.

Mustachio Jones on
  • Options
    TofystedethTofystedeth Registered User regular
    edited May 2008

Using the key to install is one thing, yes. You can do that five times before you have to call up support. He was talking about using a preexisting install of XP on a HDD and swapping the drive into another machine. Windows doesn't like being thrown about chipsets and everything, and it changes the hardware code. When the hardware code changes, it red flags it to check the key. If the hardware code doesn't match the one initially used with that install, it'll make you reactivate to update itself.

What I've gathered about XP key system:
    Hardware setup is assigned a specific code. That code is sent along to the MS activation servers with the activation key. Hardware code is now tied to that activation key. Windows checks the HW code on boot to make sure everything is in line, and if the current HW code changes enough, it'll have you activate again so it can keep its records straight. That's why it's a real pain in the ass when only doing a minor upgrade. I've had it complain at me when I unplugged my DVD drive to throw another IDE hard drive in because I only have one IDE port on my motherboard.

Weird. I've only it give that on motherboard replacements.

As for failing on the hardware detection, one of our machines at work did that when the hard drive got borked.

Tofystedeth on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Flippy_DFlippy_D Digital Conquistador LondonRegistered User regular
    edited June 2008
    Just a little update:

Astonishingly, it appears to have been the SATA cable that has caused all this trouble. I replaced it with one of mine on a whim and we were able to get past the hardware config. screen no problem this time (I just remembered I disabled the USB bus too), but then the repair console demanded an admin password. Annoyingly, though he insisted he didn't have one - kinda confirmed by this useful program - so I was faced with a reinstall D:

Thankfully, his C drive was partitioned in such a manner that he only had windows on one partition and all his other stuff on the rest. I wiped his windows partition and am currently installed a fresh version over it. Thanks for all your help =)

Ps: Memtest said his memory was fine. No obvious mobo damage. Two slightly odd capacitors near the RAM, but not enough to provoke suspicion.

Flippy_D on
    p8fnsZD.png