As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Australia] Opt-out organ donation

191011121315»

• Options
    Track NineTrack Nine Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    The other thing I'm wondering here is if there's any data on the circumstances or reasons families typically cite for obstructing organ donation, because as the papers cited earlier in this thread pointed out one of the difficulties is that for a family member there's no obvious difference between organ donation and not - the (dead) family member is still breathing and warm to the touch. No one necessarily appreciates that all that happens when they say no is that they turn off the ventilator - how accepting can we expect people to be of the final state of the individual in question?

Typically, the biggie is that the individual didn't discuss their wish to donate with their family.

BMJ linkage - See the bottom of page 2

I'd dig up some more studies from other countries, citing a few other reasons including lack of understanding and mistrust, but digging them all up with my method of organization (~none) is a bloody pain.

Track Nine on
  • Options
    NocturneNocturne Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    Dhalphir wrote: »
    its interesting that every single person already registered as an organ donor supports it

a friend of my mother's was ranting to me today, saying "well I WAS going to become an organ donor but if they bring in this compulsory system, I'll opt out just on principle!". I felt like punching her. Instead I asked why she felt the need to deny people life-saving organs "on principle". She didn't respond.

This. Any reason a person has to not donate their organs is purely based on either religious nonsense or possibly non-mainstream/organized religious nonsense.

They should have to make that shit clear if they have incredibly selfish and non-logical beliefs. We shouldn't have to assume that shit.

Nocturne on
  • Options
    The CatThe Cat Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited June 2008
    I still think the practical concerns I outlined back on page frickin' one are far more interesting than this philosophical 'ewww my bits are mine' nonsense.

The Cat on
    tmsig.jpg
  • Options
    ViolentChemistryViolentChemistry __BANNED USERS regular
    edited June 2008
    The Cat wrote: »
    I still think the practical concerns I outlined back on page frickin' one are far more interesting than this philosophical 'ewww my bits are mine' nonsense.

Which would only ever have been a viable argument if this had been a mandatory organ-donation thing anyway.

ViolentChemistry on