As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

sketchbooks and t shirt

AlduarAlduar Registered User regular
edited May 2007 in Artist's Corner
I'm back!!! I have not been gone for too long but I am back! tee hee tee hee love and hugs and kisses xoxoxoxox

Untitled-abs1-4.jpg

splat.
Alduar on

• Options
    MagicToasterMagicToaster JapanRegistered User regular
    edited June 2006
    Wow, how big was this?

MagicToaster on
  • Options
    The CelestialThe Celestial Registered User regular
    edited June 2006
    I missed you...

I can never really wrap my head fully around your paintings. That's a good thing by the way.

The Celestial on
    celbmb8.png
  • Options
    CamCam Registered User regular
    edited June 2006
    Kinda looks like a forest. I like it.

Cam on
  • Options
    BuckwolfeBuckwolfe Starts With Them, Ends With Us Registered User regular
    edited June 2006
    Kinda looks like an aerial view from somewhere just above the clouds...

Buckwolfe on
  • Options
    KunkohKunkoh Registered User regular
    edited June 2006
    I love your art; but I'm going to be the voice of dissention in this one. Compared to your other abstracts this one feels rather bland. It's got nice texture; but there doesn't seem to be enouth contrast or stuff going on to keep it interesting. Not sure if I'm explaining this well... There seems to be interesting collors and shapes at the bottom to attract the eye; but as your eyes go up, the upper 3/4ths of the image is rather plain.

By comparison, I really loved the one in your tutorial:
    5.jpg

Kunkoh on
  • Options
    BuckwolfeBuckwolfe Starts With Them, Ends With Us Registered User regular
    edited June 2006
    I remember when Alduar did that. It's always reminded me of Magritte's
    magritte.jpg

Buckwolfe on
  • Options
    srsizzysrsizzy Registered User regular
    edited June 2006
    I never really understood the tutorial...good to see you're still alive.

srsizzy on
    BRO LET ME GET REAL WITH YOU AND SAY THAT MY FINGERS ARE PREPPED AND HOT LIKE THE SURFACE OF THE SUN TO BRING RADICAL BEATS SO SMOOTH THE SHIT WILL BE MEDICINAL-GRADE TRIPNASTY MAKING ALL BRAINWAVES ROLL ON THE SURFACE OF A BALLS-FEISTY NEURAL RAINBOW CRACKA-LACKIN' YOUR PERCEPTION OF THE HERE-NOW SPACE-TIME SITUATION THAT ALL OF LIFE BE JAMMED UP IN THROUGH THE UNIVERSAL FLOW BEATS
  • Options
    M2tMM2tM Registered User regular
    edited June 2006
    *is hugged and kissed*

Welcome back. Your art is inspirational to me, so I'm glad to see you around. You get me drawing again whenever I move on to other things.

M2tM on
    "We can be richer than industry as long as we know that there are things that we don't really need." -Willy Mason
  • Options
    edited June 2006
    flaming.jpg

watery1low.jpg

magictoaster, i almost always work at around 1500-2600 pixels wide/tall

celestial thanks man
    cam mmm... yeah dude thanks

buckwolfe, thanks, that's kinda what it was inspired by

kunkoh, yeah man, it is hard to do so many things in one image... thanks for reawakening me

buckwolfe, hehee, nice!

srsizzy: yeah the tutorial was really badly done, i am prolly gonna do another one

m2tm hey! glad to see ya, right right! chip chip! cheerio

Alduar on
    splat.
  • Options
    Theory?Theory? Registered User regular
    edited June 2006
    This is all digital right?

Theory? on
    "Social correctness has traditionally had nothing whatever to do with reason, logic or physics. In fact, in England it is generally considered socially incorrect to know stuff or think about things." - Douglas Adams
  • Options
    edited June 2006
    yup

Alduar on
    splat.
  • Options
    KunkohKunkoh Registered User regular
    edited June 2006
    Nice, I like both of these MUCH more; though the bottom of the two is my favorite. I generally prefer toned down colors to bright ones; but that's just my preference.

Kunkoh on
  • Options
    misosoupmisosoup Registered User regular
    edited June 2006
    stop taking my cookie

misosoup on
    APTBSsig.jpg
  • Options
    beelowbeelow Registered User regular
    edited June 2006
    Hey Alduar, how are you doin' on your thunderdome? You gonna make it? :?:

beelow on
    "No one is trying to keep the secrets of good drawing from anyone, the secrets of drawing are the ones we keep from ourselves." Karl Gnass
    Spectacular:
    http://forums.cgsociety.org/showthread.php?t=274320
  • Options
    LlyLly Registered User regular
    edited June 2006
    my god. This one

watery1low.jpg

is fucking jawesome. So much atmosphere.

edit: what medium did you use? Is it acrylics/oils or digital?

Lly on
  • Options
    JansonJanson Registered User regular
    edited June 2006
    I agree, these are fantastic.

The second one does have incredible atmosphere but I am liking the first one very much too; I keep seeing shapes and people in it.

Janson on
  • Options
    NefilimNefilim Registered User regular
    edited June 2006
    lol erithalon

Nefilim on
    Nefilim8382-mph.jpg
    Nefilim8382-mkds.jpg
    Nefilim8382-acww.jpg
  • Options
    edited June 2006
    kunkoh! hey man, thanks, yeah i tend to prefer toned colors as well, but i've been trying to use a wider and more diverse palette... bright colors tend to have more impact.

misosoup is tasty

beelow! I'm definently going to make it..... i'm used to working quickly, it shan't take more than a couple o' days

Lly I used all digital on that one, but i use scanned painted textures that were acrylic

janson jah thanks that is the beauty of abstraction

nefilim erithalon lololololol werd up... what the hell?

terrible and scale-less enviroment (that's what i get for doing so many abstracts!)
    rawk1-1.jpg

experimenting with my abstracts quite a bit
    werded1-3.jpg

mountlow.jpg

Alduar on
    splat.
  • Options
    edited June 2006
    werd.
    odd.jpg

Alduar on
    splat.
  • Options
    KazhiimKazhiim __BANNED USERS regular
    edited June 2006
    Mullins-esque.

That is to say, fucking rad :^:

Kazhiim on
    lost_sig2.png
  • Options
    misosoupmisosoup Registered User regular
    edited June 2006
    he looks like this guy that hangs outside my house sometimes offering young girls half eaten burgers, he's a great guy...
    sweet eye fun anyhows
    if there were alduar crafted guns I'd shoot myself with one

misosoup on
    APTBSsig.jpg
  • Options
    edited July 2006
    kazhiim, thanks dude i heart mullins

misosoup... hahahaha... delicious

self portrait... after the style of luc...
    sp1.gif

Alduar on
    splat.
  • Options
    BroloBrolo Broseidon Lord of the BroceanRegistered User regular
    edited July 2006
    Man, Alduar, can you give me some clue as to what kind of technique you use to get those brush strokes on the second to last painting? I've tried experimenting with a lot of different setting in Painter, but my brushes never seem to have that wonderfully textured look to them... really I don't even know where to start looking.

Brolo on
  • Options
    GreatnationGreatnation Registered User regular
    edited July 2006
    i have no clue what he did for that specific peice, but i know he likes to extract alot via clone stamp tool from scanned textures.

Excellent stuff man, i was immediatly thinking of mullins when I saw that as well.

I forget what you look like, does the portrait hold a good likeness?

Greatnation on
  • Options
    NightDragonNightDragon 6th Grade Username Registered User regular
    edited July 2006
    I saw these on ConceptArt but your different name there totally throws me off every time.

I'm trying to learn painter (IX) now, and I'm pretty confused. How long did it take you to get to how you are now? And was it going through tutorials or just fiddling around and learning that way?

I also really like those portraits...it's not something we often get to see from you (painted ones, I mean). Keep 'em coming! :)

NightDragon on
  • Options
    edited July 2006
    portrait1-3.jpg

flap2.jpg

greatnation... i've pretty much stopped using stamp tool to paint... i do occasionally, but i have found it more efficient to use layers to add texture and... well, to paint in a way that shows the strokes and sheeyit, more opaque. since i know more about color theory now, it's easier for me to choose colors of the value, saturation, hue temperature etc. that I need...

NightDragon: werd! glad you dig. i don't use painter... i use photoshop. i have been painting digitally since about sophmore year of highschool, and I've had a wacom for about a two years..? and I'm out of my freshman year of college now... so i suppose about 4 years or so... i was putting around in the bay the first 3... this past year i've been on more of a jet boat robot explodey machine

Rolo: i'm glad you posted... you need to start looking, reading, learning and absorbing all knowledge you can about color theory and the foundations of art.... gain an ability to use value and color together and then the brushes come more naturally... if you want to develop your sense of gestalt and overall quality of paint (tactile sense of texture) you may want to experiment with some abstract work, digital or otherwise. you can model it after my work, or turners, or mullins even... whoever inspires you... and then you will begin to learn the important things. what program you use and what features you use is a far second to foundation knowledge.

poop on a stick!

Alduar on
    splat.
  • Options
    LlyLly Registered User regular
    edited July 2006
    :shock:

portrait1-3.jpg

That is absolutely fucking awesome. His skin looks more like a brinze sculpture than flesh, but i dig that too. The ear could use more work though as it takes away from the overall piece. Scary piece of work, both in the quality and the overall feel ... kinda like a man on the edge of becoming a sculpture. Couple of anatomy points, his nose is huge, as is the ear ... and his far eye seems too big or too high up. overall though many <3s to you.

The abstract one i like, but i am not really into abstracts so much, but it's nicely done and the colours are good.

edit: and thats one mahusive forehead!

Lly on
  • Options
    edited July 2006
    cow52.jpg

lly: yeah, my ears suck a left nut... now i'm gonna cry, but no for real thanks for the crits. serious for seriously i need to work on ears!!! but I DON'T cause i'm a lazy asshole thanks again

Alduar on
    splat.
  • Options
    ViolenceManViolenceMan Registered User regular
    edited July 2006
    Adluar, when are you going to post something in the sketch a forumer thread?

ViolenceMan on
    wheres.gif
  • Options
    jpegjpeg ODIE, YOUR FACE Scenic Illinois FlatlandsRegistered User regular
    edited July 2006
    Man I love your stuff. Checked out the rest of your SB thread over at CA.org. I really want to go to one of the workshops but I don't have money :?

Also, would you happen to have any color theory tutorials or something like that, or even just a walkthrough of your usual process?

jpeg on
    so I just type in this box and it goes on the screen?
  • Options
    edited July 2006
    violence man> I've started a couple sketches from the sketch a forumer thread, but i was dissapointed with them instantly... so i scrapped them...

jpeg> i don't have any good tutorials up... i need to do one this summer sometime

boooooooring
    fat1-1.jpg

Alduar on
    splat.
  • Options
    EhmaviscaEhmavisca Registered User regular
    edited July 2006
    I don't think it's boring, it's pretty badass. And that's coming from someone who doesn't really like abstract art.

But, please, come on.... do at least have your process for this?

http://alduar.iseenothing.com/06june/portrait1-3.jpg

I <3 it so much. Man.

Ehmavisca on
  • Options
    NatriNatri Registered User regular
    edited July 2006
    But, please, come on.... do at least have your process for this?

http://alduar.iseenothing.com/06june/portrait1-3.jpg

I so second that. That painting makes me drool.

Natri on
    www.instagram.com/ceneven
  • Options
    edited July 2006
    aaaaaargh i have no sense of overall value for compositions blah blah blah! i feel like i'm running around blind... i must do work from life! :my lame mullins ripoff:
    plaza1-5.jpg

frank's THANKS! i do have a few processes, they tend to change as they go... The truth is frank, that I am running blind. I just guess and when certain guesses work better, I keep pushing that guess til it's dead then i guess again, and again, and again.. I'm no better than a trained monkey

Natri: danke

Alduar on
    splat.
  • Options
    edited July 2006
    fish head study

fisheadLow.jpg

Alduar on
    splat.
  • Options
    HaxagorHaxagor Registered User regular
    edited July 2006
    awsome stuff...

and just as a skill reference, how old are you?

Haxagor on
  • Options
    SublimusSublimus Artist. nowhereRegistered User regular
    edited July 2006
    I think hes 19 with a year of SCAD under the belt.

Sublimus on
  • Options
    NightDragonNightDragon 6th Grade Username Registered User regular
    edited July 2006
    Photoshop?? Wow. I know that program! I suddenly feel like I can do so much more! :D

That courtyard painting's got so much movement...it gives the illusion that the people are running around at top speed to me. Very nice.

NightDragon on
  • Options
    edited July 2006
    haxagor: sublimus is right, thanks man

sublimus: thanks! someone pays attention around here!

NightDragon: thank you! glad you dig... implied motion is good, always an objective in most of my art..

i made up a few ships- a 6 man hovercraft was the topic
    hover1low.jpg

hover2low.jpg

hover3low.jpg

hover4low.jpg

hover5low.jpg

hover6low.jpg

and the pilot for one of my friend's ship concepts

pilothover1.jpg

Alduar on
    splat.
  • Options