As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

NEWSBOMB! Rhythm Tengoku Gold for D-fucking-S!

Lave IILave II Registered User regular
edited August 2008 in Games and Technology
Today is a good day. A very good day. A day of wonder and joy and much rejoicing. Today is a day you will recount in years gone by to your children, and your children's children. Today is a day which will bring a tear to the eye and happiness to the heart. When you return home from a hard days work and wipe the sweat of day truly earned from your brow, it will be all the sweeter for...

Today is the day that Rhythm Tengoku has been announced for the DS.

04mainrb9.gif
See Topic 4 here. In moon language.

A joyful link of proof of the joy of today.

Is it just a DS remake? Is it a new game? Who knows!

If you don't know what Rhythm Tengoku is, then I envy you, as you will get it all fresh. It's from the makers of Wario Ware and it's a music rhythm game. It is joy in a box.

This is from the original GBA version:
http://youtube.com/watch?v=fwzs8PRwzAY

Lave II on

• Options
    Red or AliveRed or Alive Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    This is fantastic news. Tap-dancing monkeys for all!

Red or Alive on
  • Options
    edited May 2008
    Hey there.
    How you doing?
    This.
    Beat.
    Is none.
    Stop.

Lave II on
  • Options
    RenzoRenzo Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    The original Rhythm Tengoku is still $40 at play asia. What the heck.

Renzo on
  • Options
    edited May 2008
    It's worth every penny of that. That's why. Easily my favourite portable game of all time, Easily my favourite music game of all time. One of the best games ever made.

Lave II on
  • Options
    RenzoRenzo Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    I can still conjure up the song and some of the imagery for one of the levels or commercials or something and I've never played the thing. I'd say that's a good sign.

Hmm...

Renzo on
  • Options
    Red or AliveRed or Alive Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    Lave II wrote: »
    Hey there.
    How you doing?
    This.
    Beat.
    Is none.
    Stop.

HEY BABY

Red or Alive on
  • Options
    Jam WarriorJam Warrior Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    HELL YES!

Rhythm Tengoku is truly the best game that most people have never played. It pours pure joy directly in your eyes and earholes.

Turn Right!
    Ditzy Down!
    Pu-Pu-Pu-Punch!

Jam Warrior on
    MhCw7nZ.gif
  • Options
    TorgoTorgo Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    Rhythm Tengoku is the ultimate style over substance game. It's like Warioware in that you can blow through the games, beat them, then try for high scores, if that's your interest. I picked it up used and sold it in a week. Wanted to love it as much as I love Warioware. I didn't. It was not FOR me.

The difficult games require nigh-perfect timing and memorization of Japanese to finish. Some of the games required such precise timing it was more luck than actual skill. Some of the games were funny and unique, and for a GBA game the sound / music is incredible, but seriously, the actual game could be improved to be much more fun. It oozes style, but wasn't very much fun if you can't consistently nail a beat within .01 seconds of what they wanted.

Basically, for those of you that liked Wario-De-Mambo, but want a bunch of harder, more difficult to time games, get it. It's like the game SIMON, where you push buttons in time with sounds and need a good memory and timing to go far.

Torgo on
    History is a spoiler for the future. (Me on Twitter)
  • Options
    RonenRonen Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    Awesome. Despite my love for and huge library of GBA games, I never got around to picking this up. I'll definitely grab a DS version though, imported if necessary.

Also, is the sound unsynced for anybody else when watching that Youtube video?

Ronen on
    Go play MOTHER3

or Brawl. 4854.6102.3895 Name: NU..
  • Options
    mntorankusumntorankusu I'm not sure how to use this thing.... Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    Torgo wrote: »
    Rhythm Tengoku is the ultimate style over substance game. It's like Warioware in that you can blow through the games, beat them, then try for high scores, if that's your interest. I picked it up used and sold it in a week. Wanted to love it as much as I love Warioware. I didn't. It was not FOR me.

The difficult games require nigh-perfect timing and memorization of Japanese to finish. Some of the games required such precise timing it was more luck than actual skill. Some of the games were funny and unique, and for a GBA game the sound / music is incredible, but seriously, the actual game could be improved to be much more fun. It oozes style, but wasn't very much fun if you can't consistently nail a beat within .01 seconds of what they wanted.

Basically, for those of you that liked Wario-De-Mambo, but want a bunch of harder, more difficult to time games, get it. It's like the game SIMON, where you push buttons in time with sounds and need a good memory and timing to go far.

I never had this kind of trouble. Maybe I just have superhuman musical ability but I never felt like the timing was unfair or "more luck than skill". I can read (and understand some) basic Japanese so I rarely had to rely on memorization, either, but that's just me.

mntorankusu on
  • Options
    LunkerLunker Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    Rhythm Game Rangers, assemble!

Excellent news, and I hope it comes stateside. I guess my subconscious had been dragging on importing the original for good reason!

Lunker on
    Tweet my Face: @heyitslunker | Save money at CheapAssGamer (not an affiliate link)
  • Options
    TorgoTorgo Registered User regular
    edited May 2008

I never had this kind of trouble. Maybe I just have superhuman musical ability but I never felt like the timing was unfair or "more luck than skill". I can read (and understand some) basic Japanese so I rarely had to rely on memorization, either, but that's just me.

Did you unlock EVERYTHING in the game? The really difficult stuff was probably the last stuff available. I bought it used with all that shit unlocked. I would have NEVER accomplished any of that myself.

Torgo on
    History is a spoiler for the future. (Me on Twitter)
  • Options
    edited May 2008

You good sir are wrong. Massively wrong. It is a game of a misunderstood but persuasive depth. To pass a level you need to succeed moderately. If you continuely fail you can go to the café and unlock the next level. At the end you have to face all the levels in a remix, which requires a deeper understanding of their natures.
    But that is only the initial challenge. To get a gold medal, you really need to be 'in the zone' and when you get one, you know it's because you earn't it. IMO it's rare to see a game be as far from random as this. Even the occassional 'perfect run attempts' it will offer you are not random. They are just skill.

Wario-De-Mambo was a hellish piece of ill thought out mistake rammed in a great game (I <3 twisted) - but it shares little with RT.

It's also a game with very little language difficulties and where memory isn't really an issue. I've almost no sense of rhythym and this game improved me massively.

I do understand that it's not for everyone - some people don't like joy in cart form - but that's only because there is nothing at all like it on the market.

Lunker - I can't believe you don't have it! It's like your perfect game!

Lave II on
  • Options
    edited May 2008
    Lunker - I can't believe you don't have it! It's like your perfect game!

I know. :( I've had it in my Play-Asia cart with my mouse over the Checkout button more times than I'd care to admit, but I've never pulled the trigger. Every time I remember it, I either have no money or am on a good roll clearing out my backlog and I don't want to fuzz it up. I had heard there was a small amount of a language barrier from some people, though most reports were varied on that front.

Lunker on
    Tweet my Face: @heyitslunker | Save money at CheapAssGamer (not an affiliate link)
  • Options
    edited May 2008
    It has a difficult first 4 minutes where it does a rhythm skill check that was clearly the precursor to brain age/fitness age. But then it's plain sailing. Some things (like the rappers) are a little difficult as they are rapping in moon language but not to any sufficient degree.

Buy it. You know you want too.

Lave II on
  • Options
    cj iwakuracj iwakura The Rhythm Regent Bears The Name FreedomRegistered User regular
    edited May 2008
    I never did get to try the original.

I might make up for it by getting the DS version, but as the current GBA price proves, Play-Asia love to price gouge rhythm games. :|

$69 for Beatmania IIDX14.

cj iwakura on
    wVEsyIc.png
  • Options
    LewiePLewieP Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    Yes.

The GBA version is the ultimate combination of reckless fun and deep concentration.

Cannot wait.

LewieP on
  • Options
    Xenogears of BoreXenogears of Bore Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    http://forums.penny-arcade.com/showthread.php?t=59364

So now we need UK versions of every thread? Fair enough.

Xenogears of Bore on
    3DS CODE: 3093-7068-3576
  • Options
    BahamutZEROBahamutZERO Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    FUCK YES!
    http://forums.penny-arcade.com/showthread.php?t=59364

So now we need UK versions of every thread? Fair enough.
    So since it was in your list with 5 other games he shouldn't make a thread specifically about it? What?

Also I miss your Master Asia avatar.

BahamutZERO on
    BahamutZERO.gif
  • Options
    GimeCGimeC Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    YES YES YES YES YES

AWESOME!

God, this makes my month. This is going to be so awesome :D

And maybe now we'll actually get a shot at a US release. Probably not.

GimeC on
  • Options
    ImranImran Registered User regular
    edited May 2008

In what way is that style over substance?

I take it you mean "Style I like, but substance didn't jive with me"?

Imran on
    nanasigsmallerrj4.jpg
  • Options
    edited May 2008
    The GBA Rhythm Tengoku has given my brother more play-hours than any other portable game in my recent memory. Occasionally he likes to reset the data and try for 100% perfect again. By far the hardest one for him to perfect is the last version of the one with the three kids bouncing the ball.

We've also developed an awesome thing where when he is playing the game with the four girls in kimonos dancing, I will sing "BUL-BA-SAUR" in a Bulbasaur-like voice over the moonspeak song in the game, which causes my brother to crack up, thus increasing the challenge. That's totally why I do it. Not to mess him up. Uh-huh.

BahamutZERO on
    BahamutZERO.gif
  • Options
    GimeCGimeC Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    There's some games where it's kinda fun to see if you can do it with your eyes closed... I know this screams memorization at first glance, but for some games (maybe even most) there are sounds that cue you in and you don't need anything else (the dancing monkeys with the girl one comes to mind.)

GimeC on
  • Options
    maximumzeromaximumzero I...wait, what? New Orleans, LARegistered User regular
    edited May 2008
    It still isn't going to be released outside of Japan. I don't know what you people are excited about.

maximumzero on
    FU7kFbw.png
    Switch: 6200-8149-0919 / Wii U: maximumzero / 3DS: 0860-3352-3335 / eBay Shop
  • Options
    Houk the NamebringerHouk the Namebringer Nipples The EchidnaRegistered User regular
    edited May 2008
    Why did I think this was on DS to begin with? I don't know. But once this is out I will be getting it. I dunno why I even passed on the original.

Houk the Namebringer on
  • Options
    edited May 2008
    Houk wrote: »
    Why did I think this was on DS to begin with? I don't know. But once this is out I will be getting it. I dunno why I even passed on the original.

It came out as part of bit generations, a very late release of a bunch of bargin priced GBA games. Most of which were pretty damn awesome.

Xenogears of Bore on
  • Options
    StriferStrifer Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    It has a difficult first 4 minutes where it does a rhythm skill check that was clearly the precursor to brain age/fitness age. But then it's plain sailing. Some things (like the rappers) are a little difficult as they are rapping in moon language but not to any sufficient degree.

Buy it. You know you want too.

Rapping is easy. It's the tap-dancing monkeys that give me nightmares.

Strifer on
    MikoSuikaLine.jpg
  • Options
    edited May 2008
    It still isn't going to be released outside of Japan. I don't know what you people are excited about.

If only there was some worldwide network connecting computers so we could directly contact retailers outside of our country, and pay for goods which would then be shipped to us...

LewieP on
  • Options
    edited May 2008
    We imported the first one, why wouldn't we import this one too?

BahamutZERO on
    BahamutZERO.gif
  • Options
    RonenRonen Registered User regular
    edited May 2008

It came out as part of bit generations, a very late release of a bunch of bargin priced GBA games. Most of which were pretty damn awesome.

This is merely a technicality, but I'm not sure that the original was one of the Bit Generation games. I say that because I have all seven and it's not one of them. Perhaps they were just released around the same time.

Ronen on
    Go play MOTHER3

or Brawl. 4854.6102.3895 Name: NU..
  • Options
    edited May 2008
    Ronen wrote: »

This is merely a technicality, but I'm not sure that the original was one of the Bit Generation games. I say that because I have all seven and it's not one of them. Perhaps they were just released around the same time.

Really? Neat.

I remember getting it with my first batch of BG imports, so I'm probably just lumping it in.

Xenogears of Bore on
  • Options
    maximumzeromaximumzero I...wait, what? New Orleans, LARegistered User regular
    edited May 2008

:) Who's we?

maximumzero on
    FU7kFbw.png
    Switch: 6200-8149-0919 / Wii U: maximumzero / 3DS: 0860-3352-3335 / eBay Shop
  • Options
    Houk the NamebringerHouk the Namebringer Nipples The EchidnaRegistered User regular
    edited May 2008

I'm guessing the "you people" that are so excited about it?

Houk the Namebringer on
  • Options
    edited May 2008
    I think the DS version may have a slightly larger snowball's chance in hell of making it stateside than the GBA version. Stranger things have happened this gen, so who knows? I'll wait to hear more about the DS version—whether it makes it to the West, whether it's a sequel or a sort of expanded remake—before deciding what to get, though.

Lunker on
  • Options
    edited May 2008
    Elite Beat Tengoku

LewieP on
  • Options
    edited May 2008
    LewieP wrote: »
    Elite Beat Tengoku

Much purchase happy time.

Xenogears of Bore on
  • Options
    urahonkyurahonky Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    Just when I thought WarioWare was the craziest game in the world. The OP video comes along, and crushes my faith.

urahonky on
  • Options
    edited May 2008

Houk read it correctly.

BahamutZERO on
    BahamutZERO.gif
  • Options
    noir_bloodnoir_blood Registered User regular
    edited May 2008

What do you mean by 'you people'?

Anyways, I think I remember hearing about the GBA, but since I A) rarely import, and B) didn't have a GBA at the time, I never looked to much into it. The new one looks interesting. Always down for a rhythm game. But we all know that Guitar Hero on Tour will be the best portable rhythm game ever.

I kid. I kid.

noir_blood on
  • Options
    mntorankusumntorankusu I'm not sure how to use this thing.... Registered User regular
    edited May 2008

Did you unlock EVERYTHING in the game? The really difficult stuff was probably the last stuff available. I bought it used with all that shit unlocked. I would have NEVER accomplished any of that myself.

I did unlock all of the actual games, but I don't know about the extra little toys and things. Do you have an example of a game that you thought was unfair/too difficult?

mntorankusu on