As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Best of DS Brain Games

troublebrewingtroublebrewing Registered User regular
edited May 2008 in Games and Technology
Well I'm interested in picking up one of these "Brain" type games for my DS. Thing is you can't throw a stylus without hitting 50 of them.

Anybody have any they enjoyed more than the others? General Pros/Cons?

I was thinking about Big Brain Academy because I rented the Wii version and enjoyed it. I think Brain Age is the original one right?

troublebrewing on

• Options
    slash000slash000 Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    That's a good question and I've wondered it myself. I own the original Brain Age and that's it; I never felt compelled to pick up the second one, nor the focus training, nor big brain academy on the DS or Wii, nor any other training game. I considered Brain Age 2.. but I guess I feel like one of these types of games is enough for me. I'd still like to know which of these games is considered 'good' or 'the best' or at least good alternatives/choices.

slash000 on
  • Options
    King of MarsKing of Mars A freak among weirdos A city in my mindRegistered User regular
    edited May 2008
    I have Brain Age 1 & 2 for the DS; both are good, but the games in 2 seem harder for some reason (including the sudoku puzzles). I've heard some of the knockoffs, like Gamma Waves or whatever it was called, are shit, which is probably true.

King of Mars on
    Writhe your naked ass to the mindless groove.
    twitter //
    3DS: 2492-5478-6311 // Steam & WiiU: kingofmars2099
  • Options
    edited May 2008
    humps in da bumps..

somebody has to be playing these games for there to be 2 million versions!!

troublebrewing on
  • Options
    ZackSchillingZackSchilling Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    I have Brain Age 1 and agree with this thread. One of this type of game is enough. If you want, there are demos on the Nintendo channel of Flash Focus and Brain Age 2. Check those out.

ZackSchilling on
    ghost-robot.jpg
  • Options
    lowlylowlycooklowlylowlycook Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    I thought the exercises in Big Brain Academy were better than those in Brain Training. It seemed the biggest challenge in the latter was getting the handwriting or voice recognition to work.

lowlylowlycook on
    steam_sig.png
    (Please do not gift. My game bank is already full.)
  • Options
    edited May 2008
    Yeah I downloaded the demo for Flash Focus and Brain Age 2 from the Nintendo Channel. So far I think I liked Big Brain Academy better, at least in it's Wii iteration as long as the DS is similar.

Guess I might check this one out, it seems most people have one and haven't bothered with the others. Which is what I would like to just have one, just want to make sure I enjoy the one I get.

Props on the AB avatar!

troublebrewing on
  • Options
    edited May 2008
    Most people in the past have recommended Big Brain Academy as a kind of more fun-centric rather than training-centric iteration of Brain Age. If the OP enjoyed BBA on the Wii, I don't think he can really go wrong with the NDS version.

I guess the only possible caveat would be if the two games are too similar to one another; but I couldn't tell you if they were or not, because I've played neither.

slash000 on
  • Options
    edited May 2008
    Yeah I think I'm going to go with BBA, especially since I saw it yesterday for $20 new..

Feel free to post in this thread though with any thoughts or recommendations :):):)

[edit] after reading some reviews on Amazon I think BBA is definately the game for me since it lacks the use of the microphone that Brain Age has and I'm not too fond of.

troublebrewing on
  • Options
    Idx86Idx86 Long days and pleasant nights.Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    I bought my wife a DS with Brain Age 2 a few months ago. Although I have had no exposure to any other "brain" games, I would give BA2 a vote of confidence. I really like Sudoku puzzles and it comes with a stock of 100 in there. Plus Dr. Mario (Virus Buster) is an unlockable in it.

For $20, it's a very solid title.

Idx86 on
    sig.gif

2008, 2012, 2014 D&D "Rare With No Sauce" League Fantasy Football Champion!
  • Options
    SoshiKitaiSoshiKitai Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    My 2 cents.

If you liked Brain Age, Brain Age 2 is for you.

Do you need it? No.
    Brain Age is pretty good in itself, and doesn't really NEED continuation.
    However: Brain Age 2 IS harder.
    So if you want more of a brain fart workout, get Brain Age 2.

I like Brain Age 2, myself.

Big Brain Academy is okay... it doesn't exercise the brain as much as it should, it almost feels like they're doing it in an almost elementary-middle-school level. Not in the way that the training is easy, just... simple and easy on the head.
    I think if you want a serious brain training, you'd like it if you felt like your brain was running a friggin' marathon. ...and Brain Age does that better.

But Big Brain Academy is fun, though.

Oh... and don't do the other brain trainings..... DO NOT do the other brain trainings... most of them suck.

SoshiKitai on
  • Options
    SchideSchide Yeoh! Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    I had Brain Age. But then I beat it so I traded it in. I never saw any need to get another one.

Schide on
  • Options
    m3km3k Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    Forget everything that everyone just said... It's all crap.

Professor Layton and the Curious Village

m3k on
    Et tu, Brute?
  • Options
    edited May 2008
    you raise a fine point sir.

troublebrewing on
  • Options
    ZackSchillingZackSchilling Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    m3k wrote: »

/thread

ZackSchilling on
    ghost-robot.jpg
  • Options
    edited May 2008
    Schide wrote: »
    I had Brain Age. But then I beat it so I traded it in. I never saw any need to get another one.

...er... how do you BEAT Brain Age? O_o
    It's daily training, I don't see how you can BEAT daily training.

That's like saying "Yep, I beat WiiFit yesterday, totally got the highest score. No need to do that anymore."...

Or even "Yep, I totally beat 50-push-ups yesterday, totally got the highest score. No need to do that anymore."...

O_o

m3k wrote: »

Good point. A nice logic game. :)

SoshiKitai on
  • Options
    edited May 2008
    You can't beat Brain Age...

Anyway, Prof. Layton is a great recommendation even though it's not specifically a "brain training" game.

slash000 on
  • Options
    SchideSchide Yeoh! Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    I got the best score for a few consecutive days then realized I had no more need for it because my brain was now perfect. So I beat it. :)

Schide on
  • Options
    edited May 2008
    Schide wrote: »
    I got the best score for a few consecutive days then realized I had no more need for it because my brain was now perfect. So I beat it. :)

But the brain still needs a stimulus... O_o If you leave it un-trained for days and weeks and months... it can get pretty crappy. Rusty, I suppose.

SoshiKitai on
  • Options
    edited May 2008
    that's okay I beat WoW (a hur hur hur)

troublebrewing on