As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Questions, Discussion and Tutorials

• Options
    OrikaeshigitaeOrikaeshigitae Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited October 2009
    Thanks. I'm strapped at the moment, which is why I was looking online, but I guess I could save for a book.

Orikaeshigitae on
  • Options
    IrukaIruka Registered User, Moderator mod
    edited October 2009
    Veritas wrote: »
    Iruka wrote: »
    Well like, using the space bar produces the hand tool, but the Navigator window used to do the exact same thing in full screen mode. (By same thing, I mean I could drag the square within the navigator outside the edges of the document) Now its locked to edges, which is annoying, as I don't really use the hand tool.

Huh, not sure how to fix that for you since mine has always been locked to the edges unless I'm zoomed in. Even then I couldn't move it outside the documents edges.

I think the only way I've seen that you can do this so it's got space outside of your canvas is pressing 'f' a couple times to go full screen and then you're not locked in. I think that's what you're trying to find out. If not ignore these words of mine.

I'll try that next time I'm on campus. But, let me illustrate:

Normal canvas:
    ex1.jpg

Here, You can see in the navigator window that my box is in the corner, which I can just drag to that. basically, In "full screen with menu" mode, just hovering over the navigator gives you the hand tool. I'm using CS2, And on campus weve got CS4. Using PS on campus has just pissed me off. Except for the new magic wand tool, which is fucking awesome.
    ex2.jpg

Iruka on
  • Options
    FlayFlay Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    I'm looking to take photographs of various objects with a similar effect to this...

013236011X.01._SCLZZZZZZZ_.jpg

Any advice on how I should go about getting the right lighting to achieve this?

Flay on
  • Options
    WastingPenguinsWastingPenguins Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    I know nothing of photography, but I can think of half a dozen ways to take a regular photo with strong front lighting and photoshop it to look like that.

WastingPenguins on
  • Options
    srsizzysrsizzy Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    also, the lighting kind of looks like it might have been exaggerated digitally. and the ring. is that just me?

but basically, to put a portion of a photo in, you use a black brush/eraser and you get rid of everything else.

srsizzy on
    BRO LET ME GET REAL WITH YOU AND SAY THAT MY FINGERS ARE PREPPED AND HOT LIKE THE SURFACE OF THE SUN TO BRING RADICAL BEATS SO SMOOTH THE SHIT WILL BE MEDICINAL-GRADE TRIPNASTY MAKING ALL BRAINWAVES ROLL ON THE SURFACE OF A BALLS-FEISTY NEURAL RAINBOW CRACKA-LACKIN' YOUR PERCEPTION OF THE HERE-NOW SPACE-TIME SITUATION THAT ALL OF LIFE BE JAMMED UP IN THROUGH THE UNIVERSAL FLOW BEATS
  • Options
    WimbleWimble Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    hi, artists. I have a question for your corner

I'd like to get a camera to take pictures of fountains, buildings, landscape and what have you in various places I frequent. I would also like them to not look like assbutt. Is there any semi-standard "this is what most people get to do this" camera out there for say around 300-400 dollars or so?

Sorry if it's very foolish to ask a question that basically sounds like "I want to take pictures, what do I get", but I don't know anything about soul stealing! Megawhatpixels?!

Wimble on
    4SMZq.jpg
  • Options
    VeritasVeritas Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    I guess it depends on the camera you want. If your looking for the ease of use of a point and shoot or the technical capabilities of a DSLR, or something in between.

The price range will limit you as far as the advanced cameras go but often you can get pretty good condition cameras used.

If your looking for a specific model or a specific brand I would say it's pretty subjective but you usually can't go wrong with any of the larger name brands, just make sure to look up reviews and such for the particular model.

Ultimately, a camera is a camera, and if it meets your technical specs the rest is up to the photographer as to what to do with it and to take good photos.

Veritas on
  • Options
    MagicToasterMagicToaster JapanRegistered User regular
    edited October 2009
    The camera is only as good as its photographer. God knows my boss takes better pictures with her iPhone than I could ever do with a SLR.

MagicToaster on
  • Options
    RankenphileRankenphile Passersby were amazed by the unusually large amounts of blood.Registered User, Moderator mod
    edited October 2009
    anyone know a good tutorial or two on drawing clothing/drapery/cloth?

Rankenphile on
    8406wWN.png
  • Options
    MustangMustang Arbiter of Unpopular Opinions Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Mustang on
  • Options
    RankenphileRankenphile Passersby were amazed by the unusually large amounts of blood.Registered User, Moderator mod
    edited October 2009
    nice

thanks mustang!

Rankenphile on
    8406wWN.png
  • Options
    edited October 2009
    oh shit that's right, I think I have a bunch of good info in a bridgman book around here somewhere, too

Rankenphile on
    8406wWN.png
  • Options
    rtsrts Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    So I have question for you guys, I am considering buying a new desktop to dedicate to photoshop and my general internet browsing so that I can move my current one downstairs to dedicate to playing games and watching movies and such.

Do you have any recommendations for a solid cheap machine that would do this job well? I would need something with dual monitor support as well.

rts on
  • Options
    BroloBrolo Broseidon Lord of the BroceanRegistered User regular
    edited October 2009
    cakemikz wrote: »
    So I have question for you guys, I am considering buying a new desktop to dedicate to photoshop and my general internet browsing so that I can move my current one downstairs to dedicate to playing games and watching movies and such.

Do you have any recommendations for a solid cheap machine that would do this job well? I would need something with dual monitor support as well.

This build is $370, all of the parts are available at Newegg.com.

$85 AMD Athlon II X2 245 Dual Core Processor
    $94 MSI 785GN-E65 Motherboard
    $72 OCZ 4GB DDR3 memory
    $60 Seagate 500GB 7200.12 Hard Drive
    $27 LG 22x DVD Rewriter
    $38 LinkWorld Black Midtower Case w/ 500W PSU

And this build is an enhanced version of the other one, more expensive but optimized for more heavy duty Photoshop work. The Solid State drive is especially important here, it will be your Windows and Photoshop drive. Total price is $638, again you can get everything from Newegg. You can also move to a faster Intel E8400 Processor ($170, brings the total price to $721).

$85 Intel Core 2 Duo E6300 2.8GHz processor
    $87 MSI P45 Neo-F Motherboard
    $62 Corsair 4GB PC2 6400 DDR2 memory kit
    $40 Sapphire 100274L Radeon HD 4350
    $239 Intel X25-M 80GB Solid State Drive
    $60 Seagate 500GB 7200.12 Hard Drive
    $22 LG 22x DVD Rewriter
    $38 LinkWorld Black Midtower Case w/ 500W PSU

Hope this helps, let me know if you have any questions.

Brolo on
  • Options
    MustangMustang Arbiter of Unpopular Opinions Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    If anything make sure you've got at least 4gb of ram. Photoshop is goo goo for ram.

When I say at least 4gb, it's the maximum recognisable memory for a 32bit OS (and it won't recognise the full 4 as some of the allocation will be your video card). So if you want more and eventually you will, I would suggest looking at a 64bit OS.

Mustang on
  • Options
    Mes3Mes3 Lurking behind your toilet Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Why did no one tell me about the awesomeness of watercolor pencils sooner.

Seriously. They're exactly what I've been looking for.

Mes3 on
    http://rjnewman.blogspot.com/ | Follow me on instagram @ messiah3x
  • Options
    Guy BellGuy Bell Registered User regular
    edited October 2009

The problem with inexpensive computers is that they always cut cost by giving you a shitty video card. That's the first thing I look at. Ram is cheap and takes about 2 minutes to install. And external storage is pretty cheap now also. Usually the lower end computers made for gamers work good for artists. They have to have decent video cards.

Guy Bell on
  • Options
    JAmp5JAmp5 Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Anyone know any decent/reliable/affordable web hosts? I'm doing a website for a commission and I want to get the most bang for my buck (it's going to be pretty low bandwidth) I don't even know where to start looking, I haven't exactly had the most objective results from google.

JAmp5 on
  • Options
    NightDragonNightDragon 6th Grade Username Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    I use icdsoft.com, but I frequently hear hostgator is pretty sweet, too.

NightDragon on
  • Options
    bombardierbombardier Moderator mod
    edited October 2009
    JAmp5 wrote: »
    Anyone know any decent/reliable/affordable web hosts? I'm doing a website for a commission and I want to get the most bang for my buck (it's going to be pretty low bandwidth) I don't even know where to start looking, I haven't exactly had the most objective results from google.

I've been a long customer of dreamhost. They had, and still might have, a promotion where you could get a year of hosting nearly free.

bombardier on
  • Options
    D-RobeD-Robe Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    A friend told me justhost is pretty awesome, but I have no firsthand experience with them.

D-Robe on
    Cheese.
  • Options
    JAmp5JAmp5 Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    I shall have a look at all your suggestions, pick a winner and then shower the most helpful person in praise and cookies :D

JAmp5 on
  • Options
    edited October 2009
    Not to promote mine further, but one of the main reasons I chose my host was for the ridiculously good uptime. I'm not sure how the others compare, but it might be another thing you want to take into account.

NightDragon on
  • Options
    edited October 2009
    ipowerweb (my host) is solid. They had some downtime recently, but I have been using them for almost a decade and thats the first I have really seen. Their customer support is also incredible. Really incredible.

rts on
  • Options
    edited October 2009
    Guy Bell wrote: »

The problem with inexpensive computers is that they always cut cost by giving you a shitty video card. That's the first thing I look at. Ram is cheap and takes about 2 minutes to install. And external storage is pretty cheap now also. Usually the lower end computers made for gamers work good for artists. They have to have decent video cards.

What? No they don't. Graphics acceleration only does the most basic of tasks when it comes to artistic programs.

Brolo on
  • Options
    TamTam Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    yeah, I think what you want is a good processor and lots of RAM

Tam on
  • Options
    edited October 2009
    Thanks for the suggestions guys.

rts on
  • Options
    bombardierbombardier Moderator mod
    edited October 2009
    Rolo wrote: »

What? No they don't. Graphics acceleration only does the most basic of tasks when it comes to artistic programs.

CS4 has video acceleration now, but I've had shitty luck with it just glitching out and being generally useless. You'd need a low level "gaming" card for it to work.

bombardier on
  • Options
    PROXPROX Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    They are previewing CS5 now.

PROX on
  • Options
    edited October 2009
    I work on the worlds crappiest computer, no video card what so ever, and I've never had slowness issues with Photoshop due to a lack of video card.

MagicToaster on
  • Options
    edited October 2009
    bombardier wrote: »
    Rolo wrote: »

CS4 has video acceleration now, but I've had shitty luck with it just glitching out and being generally useless. You'd need a low level "gaming" card for it to work.

Yeah, CS4's graphic acceleration is limited to just animating the zoom in/zoom out and navigation, as far as I know. Mine also breaks frequently, it doesn't seem to do a very good job with video memory. It's been pretty disappointing so far.

Brolo on
  • Options
    D-RobeD-Robe Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    I still use Photoshop CS.
    It's not a limiting factor at all [tiny]because I suck.[/tiny]

D-Robe on
    Cheese.
  • Options
    edited October 2009
    I still use CS, too. The newer versions have a few cool updates, but I hardly feel limited.

NightDragon on
  • Options
    srsizzysrsizzy Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    I'm pretty sure that the biggest concern with Photoshop is how much RAM you have, not your videocard. If you don't have around 2GB of RAM or more, then you are probably going to notice it if you're dealing with high-resolution images (like up to 300ppi). I was editing a yearbook (all 8.5x11, 300ppi images) with CS and around 1GB of RAM and it was one of the worst experiences in my life and it drove me to near insanity.

I'm running CS4 on Windows Vista 64 bit with 4GB of RAM (as well as a GeForce 250 GTS 1GB) and it still kind of lags when having multiple images and Firefox open, which is among the reasons of why I just ordered 4 more GB of RAM because it's cheap and so it isn't a concern. (Biggest reason is because Adobe Premiere and Aftereffects also rely on having a lot of RAM to prevent you from losing your mind.)

srsizzy on
    BRO LET ME GET REAL WITH YOU AND SAY THAT MY FINGERS ARE PREPPED AND HOT LIKE THE SURFACE OF THE SUN TO BRING RADICAL BEATS SO SMOOTH THE SHIT WILL BE MEDICINAL-GRADE TRIPNASTY MAKING ALL BRAINWAVES ROLL ON THE SURFACE OF A BALLS-FEISTY NEURAL RAINBOW CRACKA-LACKIN' YOUR PERCEPTION OF THE HERE-NOW SPACE-TIME SITUATION THAT ALL OF LIFE BE JAMMED UP IN THROUGH THE UNIVERSAL FLOW BEATS
  • Options
    CZroeCZroe Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Question: How does this part of the forum feel about non-artists poking their head in with requests? What about paid requests... I know that game trade threads are disallowed to avoid liability, but does that mean no PayPal for custom graphics?

I just need someone to make a custom helmet graphic for me based on a template so I can place an order for what I want ( www.skullskins.net ). It looks like it's going to be prohibitively expensive, so I couldn't offer much (maybe $10, $15?).

I just figured I'd check before making a thread. Can I go ahead?

CZroe on
  • Options
    GrennGrenn Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    New threads are for people to post their art in only, with a view to getting constructive crit from the AC crowd.

You're fine to request work via this thread however (as far as I am aware). I know I've done a couple of jobs for people who have contacted me from the PA boards, paid by PayPal etc. etc.

$15 though? No idea if you'll find anyone willing to work for so little. Good luck with the project however.

Grenn on
  • Options
    edited October 2009
    Grenn wrote: »
    New threads are for people to post their art in only, with a view to getting constructive crit from the AC crowd.

You're fine to request work via this thread however (as far as I am aware). I know I've done a couple of jobs for people who have contacted me from the PA boards, paid by PayPal etc. etc.

$15 though? No idea if you'll find anyone willing to work for so little. Good luck with the project however.

Thanks. Yeah, I know. That's "thanks for the favor" funds and not "I hire you to make X" funds. That's why I'm hoping someone will want to do it for themselves as well... you know, try out a different kind of canvas. If not, well, a false chin on a red background shouldn't be hard to do (Captain Falcon's helmet), though I doubt I could do it justice (I couldn't do a stick figure justice). Anyway, Scott Ramsoomair seemed to have a lot of fun designing all those extra Kirby hats. I was hoping somone would think this was similarly fun or at least not so boring that I couldn't afford it. Oh, and I'm keeping my hopes up because I've seen lots of unpaid requests get filled (LewieP's mom's paintings, for example).

CZroe on
  • Options
    ManonvonSuperockManonvonSuperock Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    If you don't want it enough to offer even a remotely reasonably amount, you don't want it enough to ask for it.

ManonvonSuperock on
  • Options
    edited October 2009
    Agreed.

MagicToaster on
  • Options
    edited October 2009
    It already costs $115 for what amounts to a chin painted on a stretchy book cover. I could buy a new helmet for that much. Indeed, MY helmet cost that much. :( IOW, it's not cheap. I wouldn't "own" the art and it's not like I could sell the resulting skins, though it would be much less for anyone else wanting one once I order the first (they wouldn't have to pay the setup fees). Commissioned art is usually for the profit of both parties while this is just something I'm dreaming about without the ability to do it myself. Not because it's relatively hard, but because I couldn't so much as draw a recognizable stick figure version and all I have is MSPAINT.

I believe that the idea takes MUCH less work than it sounds. Hear me out: I'm sure any professional imaging program employed here can make short work of making the template solid red with solid yellow discs on the sides. The helmet's face shield is already tinted (like CPT Falcon upper face) and all it really needs "created" (drawn) is a false chin.

Well, I forgot about the bird crest thing... like the "V" crest on Birdman's helmet or Viewtiful Joe, for that matter). ;) Remember, all the F-Zero characters were deliberately campy. They were never meant to be much more than a sprite standing next to a vehicle. Any simplistic traced line art will do, though I don't have the tools for even that. If I could trace one with MSPAINT, I wouldn't need help. ;) It seems that there's no shortage of stylized wings to trace.

CZroe on
This discussion has been closed.