As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Case fan question

MoSiAcMoSiAc Registered User regular
I bought all new parts for a computer. The build process isn't new to me, but the case design is. So there are the standard front and back case fans, and a third fan on the side of the case. It's been mounted to pull air in from outside, toward the cpu.

Now, correct me if I'm wrong but the cpu fan pulls heat off of the cpu and out into the case to be sucked out does it not?

So this fan mounted the way it is currently would be working against the cpu right?

Should I just remove this fan, or adjust it to where it helps remove hot air with the cpu fan?

Monster Hunter Tri US: MoSiAc - U46FJF - Katrice | RipTen - Gaming News | Los Comics
MoSiAc on

• Options
    EricKeiEricKei Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    It may depend on the case -- I am at the "hobbyist" level myself with regards to these things, and I'm sure we have some experts who can chime in -- but it's my understanding that side-fans are there mainly to blow air over the RAM/videocard/chipset heatsinks and that they actually assist the CPU cooling a bit. The main things to consider are overall airflow (keep those cables tucked out of the way so they don't block airflow), and making sure that you don't have too much of an imbalance. More air going out than coming in = a partial vacuum (less efficient/effective cooling?), and the reverse will suck more dust into the case than usual.

EricKei on
    "Let us be thankful for the fools. But for them, the rest of us could hardly succeed." ~ Mark Twain
    Goozex referral pimp sig, click Spoiler to see it.
    EricKei.png
  • Options
    tsmvengytsmvengy Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    CPU fans (assuming it is one of the top-down models and not a sideways one) blow air down onto the CPU. It's much easier to force air through the heatsink fins by blowing than through sucking. So your side fan is not working against the CPU fan - it's working with it. It looks like your setup is good, just make sure you tuck any cables out of the way.

tsmvengy on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    MoSiAcMoSiAc Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    Ok thanks, I was just thinking backwards.

MoSiAc on
    Monster Hunter Tri US: MoSiAc - U46FJF - Katrice | RipTen - Gaming News | Los Comics