As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Guitar Hero: Fat bottomed girls (and guys) welcome

• FyreWulffFyreWulff YouRegistered User, ClubPA regular
    edited June 2008
    If "Pandora" is back like "Judy Nails" and "Casey Lynch" came back for GH3, they might as well come up with a new name. Because just like those two weren't even the same fucking character for 3, that doesn't look anything like Pandora.

Seriously, only Axel, Johnny, and Lars resembled their GH2 versions, and that's because they didn't change them at all.

FyreWulff on
  • GarthorGarthor Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    I finally beat the damn game on Expert. Raining Blood and Lou.

Funny enough: I did not need star power to get through Mosh 1. I had, like, a 30% success rate on it... but I got through without the star power, saving it for the very end (because I had failed three times at 90-91%). I didn't actually even have star power during Mosh 1 that time, I missed one of the first two (always one), and picked up star power later (the series of 3-chords).

Then I beat Lou. A tip: you CAN still fail during Finish Him, and your rock meter starts where it was when the main section stops. So, going into that one mis-strum away from death... not good. Got it the second time (which would've been the third or fourth time I got a whammy as the first powerup) though.

My hand was hurting like hell. Then I decided to play along with Dragonforce for the credits.

I think my hand's dead, now.

Garthor on
  • glithertglithert Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    I think they improved Casey Lynch, myself.

glithert on
  • FyreWulffFyreWulff YouRegistered User, ClubPA regular
    edited June 2008
    More like they should have just come up with a new name if they wanted a generic blonde girl for their guitar game.

FyreWulff on
  • theantipoptheantipop Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    People who have an attachment to the characters in this game amuse me.

theantipop on
  • Santa ClaustrophobiaSanta Claustrophobia Ho Ho Ho Disconnecting from Xbox LIVERegistered User regular
    edited June 2008
    FyreWulff wrote: »
    If "Pandora" is back like "Judy Nails" and "Casey Lynch" came back for GH3, they might as well come up with a new name. Because just like those two weren't even the same fucking character for 3, that doesn't look anything like Pandora.

Seriously, only Axel, Johnny, and Lars resembled their GH2 versions, and that's because they didn't change them at all.

I don't know about that. I think Johnny went from an early 20s punk to Iggy Pop with spikes.

Santa Claustrophobia on
    edited June 2008
    Slash battle on expert is lolhard :( Double notes eh? Sure, hit me with it everytime.

theantipop on
  • SchideSchide Yeoh! Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    theantipop wrote: »

Where the fuck is Clive Winston?

Schide on
  • Santa ClaustrophobiaSanta Claustrophobia Ho Ho Ho Disconnecting from Xbox LIVERegistered User regular
    edited June 2008
    Schide wrote: »

You may or may not be happy to note that he's back in GH4. Or at least screenshots in GameInformer seem to suggest that.

Santa Claustrophobia on
  • OmeksOmeks Registered User regular
    edited June 2008

You may or may not be happy to note that he's back in GH4. Or at least screenshots in GameInformer seem to suggest that.

Are they not doing character creation? Or do they have the pre-set characters in addition to the created characters?

'Cause if they do created ones, pre-set characters kind of become a dull novelty. I mean, in the first couple Tony Hawk games, you'd always wanna be Tony Hawk or Bob Burnquist or whatever, but once character creation came along, did anybody really want to be them anymore?

Omeks on
    Online Info (Click Spoiler for More):
    |Xbox Live Tag: Omeks
    |PSN Tag: Omeks_R7
    |Rock Band: Profile|DLC Collection
    Omeks.png
    edited June 2008
    It's good so asshats that come to your house to play aren't required to create a new character with some dick reference for a name.

theantipop on
    edited June 2008
    Omeks wrote: »

Are they not doing character creation? Or do they have the pre-set characters in addition to the created characters?

'Cause if they do created ones, pre-set characters kind of become a dull novelty. I mean, in the first couple Tony Hawk games, you'd always wanna be Tony Hawk or Bob Burnquist or whatever, but once character creation came along, did anybody really want to be them anymore?
    They are. From the write-up it seems to indicate that it was essentially modifying pre-made avatars. Which is basically what the THPS creator is/was.

I'd be happy enough just selecting Judy Nails and then making slight alterations if i didn't like something about it. I've found that character creation is overblown as a feature anyway. At least when there are too many options presented. The kind of overwhelming choices that are presented when you spend just as much time tweaking the distance between the eyes as playing the game.

Rock Band does it pretty much how I like it. There could be a few extra choices, but I don't want to waste time molding my avatar's face.

Santa Claustrophobia on
  • CarcharodontosaurusCarcharodontosaurus Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    I maintain that the main function of the character creator will be to forge monstrous parodies of guitarists that can only be considered human by the most tenuous standards.

Carcharodontosaurus on
    steam_sig.png
  • BlackDragon480BlackDragon480 Bluster Kerfuffle Master of Windy ImportRegistered User regular
    edited June 2008
    I maintain that the main function of the character creator will be to forge monstrous parodies of guitarists that can only be considered human by the most tenuous standards.

Sort of like what Zakk Wylde has become?

BlackDragon480 on
    No matter where you go...there you are.
    ~ Buckaroo Banzai
    edited June 2008
    510620 on stricken
    and it was only worth 10 points
    fuck

glithert on
  • Smug DucklingSmug Duckling Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    glithert wrote: »
    510620 on stricken
    fuck

Now get the 750k one!
    I wish

Smug Duckling on
    smugduckling,pc,days.png
    edited June 2008
    I don't even see how that would be possible with the on-disc songs. Hell, several of you guys admitted that you only got 500k because one of the free songs is very long and very easy and very chordy.

glithert on
  • Smug DucklingSmug Duckling Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    I don't even see how that would be possible with the on-disc songs. Hell, several of you guys admitted that you only got 500k because one of the free songs is very long and very easy and very chordy.

I think the only on-disc song that it is even possible on is Through the Fire and Flames, and frankly, my 375k on that song says that that is not possible for me. :P

Smug Duckling on
    smugduckling,pc,days.png
    edited June 2008
    510620 on stricken
    fuck

I would laugh, but then it would turn into a mournful chuckle. The way they spread the achievement points was simply retarded.

Santa Claustrophobia on
    edited June 2008
    I got more points for putting a rubber band on my whammy bar
    then playing Number of the Beast
    That is not right

Edit: according to scorehero, 750k in singleplayer is possible on...
    TTFAF-do really good. Max possible score is like 992,000
    DWDTG- same as above. Max possible score is 893,00
    EWWS-fc, perfect sp, max possible score is 766,000

glithert on
  • toxk_02toxk_02 Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    Q: How many GH games can Activision release in one year?
    A: So far, four

http://www.gamespot.com/news/6191921.html
    Earlier this year, Activision unveiled Guitar Hero: Aerosmith, the first installment in its billion-dollar rhythm series based entirely on a band. No sooner had the publisher announced the deal than speculation began to spread about what the second band-based Guitar Hero game would be. Along with Van Halen, the most mentioned group was Metallica, the legendary San Francisco Bay Area heavy-metal quartet.

Time to ride the royalty lightning!

Now, talk of Guitar Hero: Metallica is no longer a case of wishful thinking or idle speculation--it's fact. When sifting through an SEC filing of Activision's over the weekend, Wedbush Morgan Securities analyst Edward Woo--associate of the highly visible Michael Pachter--uncovered a gem in the section where the Santa Monica, California-based publisher discussed its upcoming game slate.

"In fiscal 2009, we plan to publish Guitar Hero: On Tour for the NDS; Guitar Hero: Aerosmith, Guitar Hero: Metallica, and Guitar Hero IV across multiple platforms," the company said in its report. Activision's fiscal year ends on March 31, 2009, which means that the game will likely follow the holiday release of Guitar Hero: World Tour (nee Guitar Hero 4).

Guitar Hero: Metallica will be the first time a game based on the multiplatinum-selling band--which has become only slightly less famous for its antipiracy efforts as its musical achievements--has made it to retail. However, it is the second such game to be announced. In 2003, Vivendi Games--which will soon merge with Activision--struck a deal to create a vehicular combat game inspired by Metallica's music. Unconfirmed reports stated that the project had been quietly canceled in 2005.

toxk_02 on
    OTP.jpg
  • LunkerLunker Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    Hmm. So far Metallica's done quite well playing both Guitar Hero and Rock Band against each other; I was convinced they were quite content with Rock Band, as their DLC pack was one of the highest-bought ones, but a full version of GH in their name would probably do even better. So much for Master of Puppets as a download RB album. :(

I admit I'm actually really interested, especially if the tracklist ends up golden and people who pick up Aerosmith and GHIV have better impressions of the notecharts.

EDIT: But on the other hand, does this mean GH Metallica is going to be a "Guitar Hero game" (as in two-player guitar and rhythm/bass) or "Guitar Hero World Tour game" (as in four instruments)? And if it's only a two-player affair, what will GH World Tour users do with all their instruments?

Lunker on
    Tweet my Face: @heyitslunker | Save money at CheapAssGamer (not an affiliate link)
  • ArcSynArcSyn Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    Interesting. I may actually buy that.

RB has been teasing Metallica fans for too long with no newer (puppets ->) album songs being released for a while. Puppets is when a lot people I know really started to get into it, and of those who play RB, it's what they're all waiting for.

Unless Metallica signed an exclusivity agreement (doubtful) they could be working with HMX to release another pack of songs before this game comes out, or the same day, or whatever.

ArcSyn on
    4dm3dwuxq302.png
  • cloudeaglecloudeagle Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    Well, Guitar Hero Metallica doesn't necessarily mean we won't see them in Rock Band again, but it certainly is possible.

Still, oy. Way to simultaneously oversaturate the market and limit your audience. I want variety in my music games, dammit.

cloudeagle on
    Switch: 3947-4890-9293
    edited June 2008
    I can't see Metallica going exclusive. That DLC pack probably made a lot of money.

Edit: Variety is exactly why I'll never buy either one band game.

glithert on
  • Radikal_DreamerRadikal_Dreamer Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    While I'll be, at very most, renting GH: Aerosmith, I think a GH: Metallica may just be awesome enough to get a sale from me. It does really depend specifically on which songs they choose, but I'm sure it could be freaking awesome.

Radikal_Dreamer on
    theincidentsig.jpg
  • noir_bloodnoir_blood Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    Heh, I came to post this exact same news. And it's funny, I'm completely ambilent towards GH Aerosmith, but just the idea of playing with Metallica sounds fun to me.
    Cliff Burton as a secret character maybe?

noir_blood on
  • mxmarksmxmarks Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    That explains the comment from Lars in an interview I read recently - he was asked GH or Rock Band, and without elaborating just said "Guitar Hero." I thought it was odd, seeing as how he's the drummer and GH doesn't have drums, but now I get it, he was just answering with the name of who gave him a check last.

mxmarks on
    PSN: mxmarks - WiiU: mxmarks - twitter: @ MikesPS4 - twitch.tv/mxmarks - "Yes, mxmarks is the King of Queens" - Unbreakable Vow
    edited June 2008
    noir_blood wrote: »
    Heh, I came to post this exact same news. And it's funny, I'm completely ambilent towards GH Aerosmith, but just the idea of playing with Metallica sounds fun to me.

I don't think the band would allow it.

glithert on
  • One Thousand CablesOne Thousand Cables An absence of thought Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    mxmarks wrote: »
    That explains the comment from Lars in an interview I read recently - he was asked GH or Rock Band, and without elaborating just said "Guitar Hero." I thought it was odd, seeing as how he's the drummer and GH doesn't have drums, but now I get it, he was just answering with the name of who gave him a check last.

It could be that, just as GH:A is a spin-off of Guitar Hero III, GH:Metallica could be based off of World Tour.

Still, four fucking games in less than a year? Give me a break. Literally.

One Thousand Cables on
  • KrisKris Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    I remember people making jokes way back about how Activision/Neversoft will try and churn a GH out each year, much like Tony Hawk. Seems they've surpassed even our wild expectations. D:

Kris on
  • Magik_TekMagik_Tek Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    If GH:Metallica doesn't have drums or vocals, I wouldn't be surprised if we all of a sudden start seeing Drum/Vocal Hero games.

It's cool that we're getting a Metallica focused game, but at the same time.... another damn Guitar Hero game? So soon after GHWT?

Activision sure wasn't kidding when they said they wanted at least 30+ SKUs for GH for next year.

At this rate, not only will they kill the franchise, they might end up killing the genre entirely.

Magik_Tek on
    PSN: Fear_Magik
    edited June 2008
    Kris wrote: »
    I remember people making jokes way back about how Activision/Neversoft will try and churn a GH out each year, much like Tony Hawk. Seems they've surpassed even our wild expectations. D:

This is only the beginning.

Magik_Tek on
  • ArikadoArikado Southern CaliforniaRegistered User regular
    edited June 2008
    I joked about it with a friend when I said Activision was all like "oh fuck Rock Band beat us to it...oh yeah?! We'll take the whole genre down with us!"

Seeing this news about four GH games in one year, three of them mostly cross-platform...I just don't know what to think about this franchise anymore. Guitar Hero got me. It got me to drive home after work everyday and rock out until midnight. Then Rock Band did it (and still does depending on who is over). Not knocking Aerosmith or Metallica, but I don't think they need to have an entire game based around them.

And yeah, how is GH:Metallica going to work with the dead bassist and the Napster-PR fiasco? :P

Arikado on
    BNet: Arikado#1153 | Steam | LoL: Anzen
    edited June 2008
    They got a new bassist, you know. Then replaced that one.
    Cliff didn't die yesterday.

glithert on
  • BlackDragon480BlackDragon480 Bluster Kerfuffle Master of Windy ImportRegistered User regular
    edited June 2008
    Good god, I don't know which of the following best illustrates my feelings towards Acivision/Neversoft over this new announcment:

facepalm.jpeg

or

picardflipoj5.jpg

all I know is this is getting a little ridiculous.

BlackDragon480 on
    No matter where you go...there you are.
    ~ Buckaroo Banzai
  • ArikadoArikado Southern CaliforniaRegistered User regular
    edited June 2008
    They got a new bassist, you know. Then replaced that one.
    Cliff didn't die yesterday.

I know this. I'm referring to how GH: Aerosmith is going by how they started and so on regarding the setlists. I'm wondering if they pull it off in the same way with Metallica. Hence a joke.

Arikado on
    BNet: Arikado#1153 | Steam | LoL: Anzen
    edited June 2008
    Whoooops

glithert on
    edited June 2008
    What really bothers me about this announcement and the recent announcements is it ruins a lot of the excitement I use to have for the franchise.

I remember when GHIII was about to release, I was so pumped for it.

Nowadays, with each announcement, I"m just like 'meh'.

Magik_Tek on
  • FireflashFireflash Montreal, QCRegistered User regular
    edited June 2008
    noir_blood wrote: »

I don't think the band would allow it.

Zombie Cliff Burton then?

Fireflash on
    PSN: PatParadize
    Battle.net: Fireflash#1425
    Steam Friend code: 45386507