As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Guitar Hero: Fat bottomed girls (and guys) welcome

• theantipoptheantipop Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    Playing online is worthless. Between the 99% medium battles and the co-op where the guy dropped after the second song, no fun was had.

theantipop on
  • KrisKris Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    Yeah, I gave up on the online aspect after a few tries. Much less headache/annoyance just playing solo.

Kris on
  • CarcharodontosaurusCarcharodontosaurus Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    ArcSyn wrote: »
    Yeah.. I think I've met my brick wall...

I can do just about all the songs on hard from tiers 1-4, and like 2 from 5. However, I still cannot beat Rock and Roll All Night. Nor any of the others I didn't beat the first few times I tried them. Just too many notes for me to figure it out at full speed, and practicing slower hasn't helped yet.

I guess you could say that I'm one of those people who may find GH1 or 2 easier because when there are that many notes on the screen (ace this solo, freely; and outro sections) I just cannot follow it. My fingers don't move that fast either.

I've tried going into practice, with no luck. The timing being slower just messes me up as I strum too quickly or overcompensate and strum too late, though I can at least see what's coming. But as soon as I start speeding it up again I miss it all.

Ugh.. I think I'm going to be just playing medium and a few hard forever. I was hoping to get at least hard pretty well down since it uses all the buttons but so far it hasn't been very pretty.. :(

Don't give up. I hit a similar wall when starting Hard, and at this point I feel kind of weird playing Medium. Don't feel bad about Rock and Roll All Nite: it is in fact a really hard song for so early on. Ace This Solo, Freely is in fact a brutally hard solo. Just get through it and you'll be amazed at why you had such doubts earlier on.

Carcharodontosaurus on
    steam_sig.png
  • LeumasWhiteLeumasWhite New ZealandRegistered User regular
    edited June 2008
    So what do you do if you suck at these games? Like, in general. I'm on GH2 Hard, and the instant I touch the orange button, it's basically guaranteed that the next ten seconds of notes are lost. Is there any sort of practice you can do, or is it just a case of fail until you stop failing?

LeumasWhite on
    QPPHj1J.jpg
  • Smug DucklingSmug Duckling Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    So what do you do if you suck at these games? Like, in general. I'm on GH2 Hard, and the instant I touch the orange button, it's basically guaranteed that the next ten seconds of notes are lost. Is there any sort of practice you can do, or is it just a case of fail until you stop failing?

It's partially the second thing, but you can do some focused practice. For GH2, I suggest trying to learn the intro to Sweet Child of Mine on Hard or Expert, since it has a lot of moving around on the fretboard at a moderate pace, and includes the orange button. Start out on slowest until you have that down, and then move your way up to Full Speed.

For passing Mosh 1, I suggest playing each group of 4 notes as a pull-off, and strumming at the top of each group. If the chords give you trouble, just skip them and start playing again at the top of the next group of 4 notes. That gives you a little time to recover between onslaughts.

Smug Duckling on
    smugduckling,pc,days.png
    edited June 2008
    I don't get all the hate towards online play. I just tried it for the first time tonight, and I must say it was quite fun. Now admittedly it was on Hard, but I'm not yet component enough on Expert to make competing with someone else enjoyable at that difficulty. Probably the best round I had was a best of 3; I chose Closer to begin with, and won handily. The other guy chose Stricken, and won handily. It comes to the tie breaker, and here I am thinking it's going to be something wretched like Through the Fire and Flames or Raining Blood.

Nope! Bring on The Metal! It's a damn fun song, and in the end I beat him by a piddling 3000 points on a score of roughly 130000. There is nothing sweeter than a really, really close victory. :D

Carcharodontosaurus on
    steam_sig.png
  • theantipoptheantipop Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    I had to search for a battle with all options set to Any before I could find any opponent, and it ended up being a Medium battle. I don't really get why this moron choose Medium, because he FC'd both songs he chose and I FC'd both songs I chose. The tiebreaker was One which is such a yawn-fest on Medium I was tempted to leave in the middle. I stuck it out and beat him on % but lost by 8k points. I couldn't find a hard battle or get anyone to join one and the one co-op I tried ended cause the dude left after the second song.

theantipop on
    edited June 2008
    Funnily enough I just had to start a match on Hard, and within less then 30 seconds I had someone joining the match. Maybe I'm just lucky?

Carcharodontosaurus on
    steam_sig.png
  • GingeyGingey Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    Dragonforce. 100%. Expert. Here.

That is ridiculously amazing. I haven't playing GH3 in a while due to having it for the boring Wii, but that is just insane.

Gingey on
    PSN - Gingeyy
    Wii Code - 5752 2082 7344 0751
    496697-1.png
  • midgetspymidgetspy Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    Gingey wrote: »
    Dragonforce. 100%. Expert. Here.

That is ridiculously amazing. I haven't playing GH3 in a while due to having it for the boring Wii, but that is just insane.

Welcome to page 7 :0)

midgetspy on
  • GingeyGingey Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    REALLY?! Sorry :S Like I said, I haven't played in awhile so I haven't kept up on the news.. Kotaku just posted it today. Once again, I apologize for my slowness. D:

Gingey on
    PSN - Gingeyy
    Wii Code - 5752 2082 7344 0751
    496697-1.png
    edited June 2008
    Lets just blame it on Kotaku for being slow, hehe.

On topic though, yes it is absolutely ridiculous. Now I can't wait for TDWDTG to get FCd... that will be even more epic IMO.

midgetspy on
    edited June 2008
    midgetspy wrote: »
    Lets just blame it on Kotaku for being slow, hehe.

On topic though, yes it is absolutely ridiculous. Now I can't wait for TDWDTG to get FCd... that will be even more epic IMO.

It won't be. You see, the section with the words "Made an evil hiss!" for the guitar part is actually an elaborate test: if you can FC it you are obviously not human, and government agents will smash through your windows to destroy your wicked robotic hide.

Carcharodontosaurus on
    steam_sig.png
    edited June 2008
    Heh I know you're joking, but every part has been FC'd before so it's just a matter of time before somebody does it all in one run. That'll be absolutely amazing to watch.

midgetspy on
    edited June 2008
    I...

I...

I had no idea. D:

Carcharodontosaurus on
    steam_sig.png
    edited June 2008
    edited June 2008
    I...

I...

I had no idea. D:

Somebody has 100%ed up to Victory Solo K. That's a really fucking long way, and includes the fast strumming parts.

Also, new DLC today! Motorhead (sorry, no umlauts for you) pack and a PS3 exclusive from God of War 2. The Motorhead songs look kind of meh to me, so I'll probably skip. The God of War 2 one sounds fun, but unfortunately I'm on 360.

Smug Duckling on
    smugduckling,pc,days.png
  • BoutrosBoutros Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    Hellashes has FCed every part of TDWDTG individually, I believe. He will definitely FC it, but it might not be for a while.

Boutros on
  • slash000slash000 Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    Yeah.. I think I've met my brick wall...

Don't worry; just keep at it. Take a break if you have to.

Any walls in these games can and will be overcome.

slash000 on
    edited June 2008
    Woohoo! Finally 5-starred Slash Battle in solo career.

I had done it once before in pro face-off, but it feels good to see those 5-stars staring at me.

Smug Duckling on
    smugduckling,pc,days.png
  • glithertglithert Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    You know, Rock you like a Hurricane may be the least appropriate Gh song ever. It's just so boring.
    Also I am close to a Rock and Roll All Nite fc. Just gotta work on the chords in the solo.

glithert on
  • KrisKris Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    Holy hell. Dammit midgetspy, I need new pants now. D:

Kris on
    edited June 2008
    Okay, now there are people here who are very competent at Expert. Watching that video, I've got one question to ask.

How many Guitar Controllers do you go through? I'm amazed that video wasn't interrupted halfway through by the Guitar exploding into a million plastic shards, killing everyone in the house in what can only be described as a cataclysm. I mean seriously now.

Carcharodontosaurus on
    steam_sig.png
    edited June 2008
    So I practiced Sweet Child of Mine for about two hours, managed to squeak through Life Wasted in the yellow, then got consistently blasted before, I dunno, the fourth section of Mother. You Really Got Me, Woman, and Cherry Pie got similar efforts.

Now my hands hurt and I'm pissed off from hearing fifty plinks and plonks in a row. Worth keeping at it?

LeumasWhite on
    QPPHj1J.jpg
    edited June 2008
    If you want to. Remember, the game is about having fun; as an example, I don't think I'll ever seriously attempt Through the Fire and Flames, as it's an exercise in boredom and frustration for me. If those songs shit you to tears, then either take a break and come back later, or just avoid them.

Carcharodontosaurus on
    steam_sig.png
    edited June 2008
    I would say it's worth it, just for the fact that in a few weeks you can look back and say, "Wow, I thought those were hard?"

It's totally possible. I have 5 stars on every song in GH2 (except Jordan :P), but when I first got to expert I had a hell of a time just passing Mother. Medium -> Hard is the most difficult transition in the entire game (because of adding orange plus more difficult parts), so if you can get past this then everything's downhill.

If you're passing songs, just keep soldiering on, and then come back to the beginning songs later on once your skills have improved.

Of course, if you're genuinely not enjoying yourself, then there's no reason to keep going, but I have a feeling that if you've made it to hard/expert in the game, then you must get at least some enjoyment out of the guitar. Like, I suck at drums in Rock Band, plus I don't find them fun at all, so I just don't bother and stick with the guitar instead.

Smug Duckling on
    smugduckling,pc,days.png
    edited June 2008
    I dunno, it was fun when it was just four buttons, since it was just a "green note appears -> use index finger" sort of mental connection, easy and fun. Shifting to orange means that index finger is now red (assuming I even manage to get my pinky onto the button, instead of a few inches past it like usual) which fucks up that association. I have to rewire things in my brain, and it's frustrating watching all those missed notes go past while I'm trying to do so. :|

LeumasWhite on
    QPPHj1J.jpg
    edited June 2008
    I dunno, it was fun when it was just four buttons, since it was just a "green note appears -> use index finger" sort of mental connection, easy and fun. Shifting to orange means that index finger is now red (assuming I even manage to get my pinky onto the button, instead of a few inches past it like usual) which fucks up that association. I have to rewire things in my brain, and it's frustrating watching all those missed notes go past while I'm trying to do so. :|

Ah, I see. Yeah, that can be a tough barrier to overcome. The most important thing is to stop associating fingers to colours at all - associate colours with fret positions, and then make sure a finger is there. Obviously easier said than done, but it will definitely come with practice.

Smug Duckling on
    smugduckling,pc,days.png
  • ArcSynArcSyn Registered User regular
    edited June 2008

Ah, I see. Yeah, that can be a tough barrier to overcome. The most important thing is to stop associating fingers to colours at all - associate colours with fret positions, and then make sure a finger is there. Obviously easier said than done, but it will definitely come with practice.

I'm right where you're at Leumas.. I can say that removing the idea of finger=button is really good. If it's easier, go back to medium and use only 3 fingers. This will get you used to the idea of moving your hand and that your fingers can start on red, rather than green. Sometimes I'll even move my hand down to yellow if it's a faster moving section because my pinky isn't strong enough to handle it.

But yeah, transition from medium->hard sucks.

ArcSyn on
    4dm3dwuxq302.png
    edited June 2008
    The best thing about finally getting the hang of the orange fret is the crazy shit you'll find yourself doing later on. You'll look back at Medium and wonder why you found the orange fret so terrifying.
    Instead you'll find Through the Fire and Flames or The Devil Went Down To Georgia terrifying. :rotate:

Carcharodontosaurus on
    steam_sig.png
  • glithertglithert Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    Okay, now there are people here who are very competent at Expert. Watching that video, I've got one question to ask.

How many Guitar Controllers do you go through? I'm amazed that video wasn't interrupted halfway through by the Guitar exploding into a million plastic shards, killing everyone in the house in what can only be described as a cataclysm. I mean seriously now.

I had a red sg. I broke it while trying to remove that clicking sound. Oops.

I borrowed a black one from my friend Dan. The whammy bar broke, and when I fixed it I also took out the clickers (successfully), loosened the buttons, then put a bunch of stickers on it. I'll see if I can find a picture of it.

I have a 360 Les Paul that works fine because I took care of the neck issues. Took out the clickers. Still works perfectly after 4 months or so.

I bought an X-plorer for co-op. Haven't done anything to it.

glithert on
    edited June 2008

I've been playing on expert since GH1 with the guitar that launched with GH1 (a black SG). It's bulletproof, it works perfectly all the time. It must have seen in the millions of strums by now but it's still flawless. This makes the RB peripherals so much more disappointing :-|

midgetspy on
  • UnbreakableVowUnbreakableVow Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    So why did I JUST hear about Guitar Hero: Metallica from a friend instead of you guys?

You didn't shout it from high enough rooftops! (If you mentioned it)

http://www.gamespot.com/news/6191921.html[/url

EDIT: Also, this is months old, how did I miss this?

http://www.latimes.com/entertainment/news/music/la-et-beatles18mar18,1,3551914.story

UnbreakableVow on
  • slash000slash000 Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    We've mentioned GH:Metallica a while ago. Lunker suggested adding it to the thread title....

Dunno about the beatles thing, but I must say, some band or band music-holding exec is always occasionally voicing "interest" in releasing their stuff for Guitar Hero, and often it never materializes..

slash000 on
    edited June 2008

Perhaps I can't hear it over all the clicking, but where exactly are the GUITAR parts of this song? It doesn't seem like the chart matches up at all with the actual song.. Fiddle -> guitar just doesn't seem to translate, so why did they make this a GH song?

ArcSyn on
    4dm3dwuxq302.png
    edited June 2008
    The whole thing is guitar afaik. Steve Ouimette covered it specifically for GH3.

midgetspy on
    edited June 2008
    Huh, looked up that version of the song and still doesn't seem to match up right. The huge string of notes that are just ridiculously fast going up the scale seems more like just a held note, not tons of little notes. But what do I know? Just seemed crazy.

Unfortunately (fortunately?) I won't ever play the song 'cause I have the Wii version.

ArcSyn on
    4dm3dwuxq302.png
  • GarthorGarthor Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    Huh, looked up that version of the song and still doesn't seem to match up right. The huge string of notes that are just ridiculously fast going up the scale seems more like just a held note, not tons of little notes. But what do I know? Just seemed crazy.

Unfortunately (fortunately?) I won't ever play the song 'cause I have the Wii version.

Well, you see, these songs are specifically designed for the kinds of people who spend all day every day playing the game and so want something that is arbitrarily more difficult, whether or not it makes sense.

Garthor on
  • MayGodHaveMercyMayGodHaveMercy Registered User regular
    edited June 2008

I know what you're talking about, and you could be right. But, distortion tends to make it hard to differentiate between strums and held notes some times, if the strumming is extremely fast. So, I don't know for sure that he was strumming it, but it's very possible. See Knights of Cydonia.

EDIT: After finding a better video, I'm inclined to agree with you, in this instance. He's not strumming that.

PS - Devil Went Down to Scunthorpe Woul have been more fun. :)

MayGodHaveMercy on
    XBL: Mercy XXVI - Steam: Mercy_XXVI - PSN: Mercy XXVI
    edited June 2008
    The Devil Went Down to Scunthorpe is awful. I'm sorry, but it's just not good compared to either the Charlie Daniels Band or Steve Ouimette version of The Devil Went Down to Georgia.
    glithert wrote: »
    I had a red sg. I broke it while trying to remove that clicking sound. Oops.

I borrowed a black one from my friend Dan. The whammy bar broke, and when I fixed it I also took out the clickers (successfully), loosened the buttons, then put a bunch of stickers on it. I'll see if I can find a picture of it.

I have a 360 Les Paul that works fine because I took care of the neck issues. Took out the clickers. Still works perfectly after 4 months or so.

I bought an X-plorer for co-op. Haven't done anything to it.

Damn. It seems you really can thrash the absolute Hell out of the controllers and they don't even begin to get damaged.
    I've been playing on expert since GH1 with the guitar that launched with GH1 (a black SG). It's bulletproof, it works perfectly all the time. It must have seen in the millions of strums by now but it's still flawless. This makes the RB peripherals so much more disappointing :-|

That is interesting; I wonder if it's the extra buttons on the RB guitar that makes it so prone to breaking? I guess we'll all find out with Guitar Hero: World Tour.

On an unrelated note, am I the only person with the PC version of Guitar Hero 3 who is beginning to get seriously annoyed at the lack of DLC? I mean come on, it's the PC; you'd think an internet based content download would be easy to introduce. The framework is there in the game already, it's just that it has a ridiculous little message saying "Coming Soon!", which I presume to mean before the Sun eventually implodes into a tiny chunk of coal.

I just want "I Predict a Riot" so badly. D:

Carcharodontosaurus on
    steam_sig.png