As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

DVD's and PowerPoint and a New Question

AtomBombAtomBomb Registered User regular
edited May 2008 in Help / Advice Forum
I'm sure that this has been answered at some point, but I'm having trouble finding the relevant threads (damn 3 letter words like rip and dvd).

I've got a non-copyrighted DVD that's about 40 minutes long, all in a single chapter. It's video from a conference that the local news station shot for my work. It was on DVCPro tapes, but luckily we got a DVD as well (I of course found out about this after calling everyone in town trying to find anyone with machine that could play the tapes). My boss would like to insert 2 clips from this video into a powerpoint, one being about a minute long, the other 4 or 5 minutes. I told him I could break it into chapters that he could play, but that isn't simple enough. He's going to be out of town and on his own when giving this presentation and he has a great fear that something will go wrong. So here's what I'd like to do:

1) Split the disc into chapters. Make sure that the 2 clips he wants are their own chapters.
2) Imbed the video clips into the presentation. Ideally they would just start when he goes to the slide they're on, but if he has to hit play from within the powerpoint that would be fine.
3) If I could export this all on a disc from my PC and just give it to him that would be nice. I've done that with other powerpoints I've made for people, but they didn't have imbedded video.

Step 1 might be unnecessary if it's easier to edit the clips in the format that they end up in in step 2. I'd really prefer free software or trial versions (as long as they don't watermark or something) because I don't think this is going to come up very often, and free is always good anyway. However, if the paid options are what's required I could probably get authorization for that.

Thanks!

I just got a 3DS XL. Add me! 2879-0925-7162
AtomBomb on

• Options
    mtsmts Dr. Robot King Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    adding videos to powerpoint is kind of a pain in the butt.

2 ways to go about it. linking it via youtube or embedding into the slide.

youtube would require that he had online at the presentation

embedding it requires that he has the actual clip on the computer he is using. this one is probably easiest, the hardest part is the initial getting the clip to work , but all he would need to do is click it to start

mts on
    camo_sig.png
  • Options
    edited May 2008
    Yeah, I definitely can't depend on him having internet access. I think embedding is the way to go.

I'm using handbrake to convert it to an avi right now to see if that's easier to work with. A guy here at work has a mac laptop that could cut it up from there, but I'd prefer to do it myself (in Windows) since he's known for sitting on projects a bit too long.

AtomBomb on
  • Options
    Monolithic_DomeMonolithic_Dome Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    I think you are looking for virtual dub.

It's pretty feature-sparse, but if all you need to do is cut a big file down to a clip, it'll get the job done.

Monolithic_Dome on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    edited May 2008
    I'm having no luck so far. Virtual dub seems cool, but I have yet to create a file that it can read with Handbrake. I did successfully make an avi, but there was a pretty significant drop in quality. I think I'll have to do some more reading to get that to come out right.

Is there an easier way to get a DVD into virtual dub?

***UNRELATED QUESTION***

I would like to download the 30 day trial of Dreamweaver. Adobe has stopped making it available because there is a bug that makes the 30 day trial only last 1 day if you launch it between June 1st and July 1st. Understandable I guess, but it's not June 1st yet and I could still get in under the wire. I've tried Adobe's site, and download.com (which sends you back to Adobe). Anyone know how I could get ahold of it?

AtomBomb on