As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Game Developers: Pay more attention to color, please [NSF56k]

1235»

• Options
    CentipeedCentipeed Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    I can't be the only one in wondering why the OP posted screenshots and nothing else but the word "Meh" and people started a discussion out of nowhere, even though there wasn't anything to discuss.

Worst OP ever.

Also this should definitely belong in the "What makes a game good is the graphics" thread. Because that's pretty much what it's there for.

Centipeed on
  • Options
    .Tripwire..Tripwire. Firman Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    I'm getting really sick of how nobody has yet mentioned what they think of the OP. Can we get some more opinions up in here? Does anybody have any thoughts about whether they think this thread is retarded or not? Anyone?

.Tripwire. on
    sigi_moe.pngsigi_deviantart.pngsigi_twitter.pngsigi_steam.pngsigi_tumblr.png
  • Options
    DarmakDarmak RAGE vympyvvhyc vyctyvyRegistered User regular
    edited June 2008
    Either way I'd kill to see this game come out soon Gears_Of_War__Splash_by_Faded_Myth.jpg

I still say Viva Pinata is the best looking 360 game, but colours are only for kids games, so meh

This is probably the best picture in the thread because it's silly and made me laugh.

Darmak on
    JtgVX0H.png
  • Options
    RoshinRoshin My backlog can be seen from space SwedenRegistered User regular
    edited June 2008
    Tzen wrote: »
    Meh.

Let's see... A pointless poll, some screenshots, and the above quote.

Do you have a point with this?

Roshin on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    His CorkinessHis Corkiness Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    I've noticed in some games that all the leaves are brown, and the sky is grey. I've been for a walk, on a winter's day. I'd be safe and warm, if I was in LA. California dreaming, on such a winter's day.

His Corkiness on
  • Options
    AldoAldo Hippo Hooray Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    Roshin wrote: »
    Tzen wrote: »
    Meh.

Let's see... A pointless poll, some screenshots, and the above quote.

Do you have a point with this?

to be honest, the poll was added by a mod.

Aldo on
  • Options
    Random IntegerRandom Integer Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    I used to pay attention to colours but the fuckers just ignored me.

Random Integer on
  • Options
    NuzakNuzak Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    I've noticed in some games that all the leaves are brown, and the sky is grey. I've been for a walk, on a winter's day. I'd be safe and warm, if I was in LA. California dreaming, on such a winter's day.

sweet

Nuzak on
  • Options
    AntihippyAntihippy Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    Darmak wrote: »
    Either way I'd kill to see this game come out soon Gears_Of_War__Splash_by_Faded_Myth.jpg

I still say Viva Pinata is the best looking 360 game, but colours are only for kids games, so meh

This is probably the best picture in the thread because it's silly and made me laugh.

It would have been even greater if the guy focuses more on the background.

The perspective makes me go cross-eye'd.

Antihippy on
    10454_nujabes2.pngPSN: Antiwhippy
  • Options
    AegeriAegeri Tiny wee bacteriums Plateau of LengRegistered User regular
    edited June 2008
    Needs chainsaw duelling.

Aegeri on
    The Roleplayer's Guild: My blog for roleplaying games, advice and adventuring.
  • Options
    TheSonicRetardTheSonicRetard Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    Centipeed wrote: »
    I can't be the only one in wondering why the OP posted screenshots and nothing else but the word "Meh" and people started a discussion out of nowhere, even though there wasn't anything to discuss.
    Last edited by Tzen : Yesterday at 06:24 AM.

TheSonicRetard on
  • Options
    AkatsukiAkatsuki Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    About the WW/TP argument I love that we can have both styles and I love both games graphics, because they fit right and feel right. WW looks gorgeous, so does TP.
    Certain games don't need loads of colors, it doesn't fit their style, what annoys me is that there seems to be brown or grey layer over the games that makes them look boring.

Akatsuki on
    Preacher wrote:
    ...my inner weaboo can kawaii all over this desu.

Pokémon HGSS: 1205 1613 4041
  • Options
    CentipeedCentipeed Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    Centipeed wrote: »
    Last edited by Tzen : Yesterday at 06:24 AM.

Oh. My bad.

Still bad practice for people who come to the thread late and don't happen to have a time machine with which they can see what was posted in the OP previously. Mine's in the shop.

Centipeed on
  • Options
    reVersereVerse Attack and Dethrone God Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    Wait, I'm confused. Are the screenshots in the OP supposed to represent games that look bad because of the colors? Because most of them look pretty good to me.

reVerse on
  • Options
    Recoil42Recoil42 Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    This thread is awful, and everyone going "OLOLOLOL GAMEPLAY > GRAPHICS" is a stupid twit that should be shot. For the nth time, they are not diametrically opposing concepts. graphics are a PART of gameplay.

From the glint of sun off a rifle tipping you off to a sniper's position, to enemies hidden in a thick forest jungle, to the pending betrayal hinted by a characters distrustful facial animations. If you can't see how these and a million other examples show that gameplay is supported by graphics, go play grand theft auto on your C64 and get back to me.

Even as far back as doom and wolfenstein, we had graphical hints as to the status of a character. If you really would have preferred a number value alone, you've lost the soul of gaming by a mile.

Recoil42 on
  • Options
    Recoil42Recoil42 Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    reVerse wrote: »
    Wait, I'm confused. Are the screenshots in the OP supposed to represent games that look bad because of the colors? Because most of them look pretty good to me.

Same. I actually came into this thead going "wow, it's funny with all the people complaining about brown and grey all the time, how differentiated games these days really are. I really love that deep blue hue from Burnout Paradise."

Then I continued reading the thread and facepalmed a few dozen times.

Side note: What are these two games? I don't recognize either.
    http://i110.photobucket.com/albums/n98/thetzen/photosucket/939932_20080421_screen003.jpg
    http://i110.photobucket.com/albums/n98/thetzen/photosucket/939932_20080421_screen001.jpg

Recoil42 on
  • Options
    reVersereVerse Attack and Dethrone God Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    That's Fallout 3, I think. Both pictures.

reVerse on
  • Options
    RakaiRakai Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    Recoil42 wrote: »
    This thread is awful, and everyone going "OLOLOLOL GAMEPLAY > GRAPHICS" is a stupid twit that should be shot. For the nth time, they are not diametrically opposing concepts. graphics are a PART of gameplay.

From the glint of sun off a rifle tipping you off to a sniper's position, to enemies hidden in a thick forest jungle, to the pending betrayal hinted by a characters distrustful facial animations. If you can't see how these and a million other examples show that gameplay is supported by graphics, go play grand theft auto on your C64 and get back to me.

Even as far back as doom and wolfenstein, we had graphical hints as to the status of a character. If you really would have preferred a number value alone, you've lost the soul of gaming by a mile.

To be fair, no one has stated gameplay > graphics or had even brought gameplay up in the discussion (maybe one person?) The discussion was about color. I completely disagree with the OP in every way, but let's not use strawmen.

Rakai on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]XBL: Rakayn | PS3: Rakayn | Steam ID
  • Options
    JutranjoJutranjo Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    Is this too brown as well?
    screen2.jpg

Jutranjo on
  • Options
    subediisubedii Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    I think a good selection and limitation of colours in a colour scheme is just as important as the art design.

I'm looking at the trailer for Mirror's Edge for example. All cool blues reflecting a clean near future world, with intelligently chosen warmer colours to represent good paths to take, I really love the direction they've gone with that art style. I can't find any decent screenshots, but in case you haven't seen it already, here's the trailer to give you an idea:

http://www.gametrailers.com/player/33585.html

If you'll notice, even the police cars don't have red lights on them, only blue. In some respects that's an unrealistic choice, but it's part of the colour scheme and it works. Just dumping extra colour into that cool clean world would only make it look all the more unnatural when they've got a unified colour scheme that works consistently with the art design the way it does.

The colour palette used is actually fairly limited. The difference that causes most people don't notice because it's a bright (as opposed to bleak, murky or grainy) colour scheme they've chosen to go with. In that respect, it could be considered a bit of a trend breaker, but realistically, games have been careful about the colour schemes they've made use of for decades. It's just that Mirror's Edge is a striking example.

Colour scheme is a direct part of the art style. And in a good game, the art style is used to enhance and emphasise the nature of the game and gameplay.

Even Team Fortress 2 has limits to it's colour pallet, they didn't just ham things together, there were designs, art styles, they even drew up separate colour charts for the two teams. You don't really see any purples or greens, no real dark colours either, that just wouldn't fit with the rest of the design.

subedii on
  • Options
    SenshiSenshi BALLING OUT OF CONTROL WavefrontRegistered User regular
    edited June 2008
    Jutranjo wrote: »
    Is this too brown as well?
    screen2.jpg

No. No, that is awesome. I want to play some TF2.

Also Burnout Paradise from the looks of those screenshots. hot diggity damn

Senshi on
  • Options
    AccualtAccualt Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    First Place goes to LOCKED.

The runner up, in second place, is technicolor.
    technicolorregistrationka2.png

And in last are 13 morons.

Accualt on
This discussion has been closed.